ADVERTISEMENT

Is CockyTalk dead for good?

92Pony

Jan 18, 2011
Anyone here know?

I know some here dislike it, but I read about any Gamecock board I can find to soak up any/all Gamecock sports info possible. I hope it returns.

Reactions: danh011
I wouldn't be surprised. You were pretty much only allowed to have the "everything is wonderful opinion/attitude." If you were the least bit critical, the threads were closed and you were possibly banned. It was comical to see one thread after another get closed when the football program began the decline in 2014. At least you're allowed to have an opinion over here.

I tried to tell y'all it's Robert Mueller and the Gestapo raids... Can't collude with the Rissians

Reactions: 92Pony
There's already been a thread about this, and I thought they were only having temporary technical problems.

There's already been a thread about this, and I thought they were only having temporary technical problems.
I saw that thread days ago, looked for it again, but couldn't find it. In today's age, technical problems usually don't last for a week, hence the question.

Reactions: Brace1
In the pre-existing thread, it was stated that CockyTalk was being fixed and would return by today. But I think the ownership of the website are not very active with it for quite a while, and typically when that happens websites begin slides into decline and vulnerabilities. They have moderators who are active with maintaining userbase discipline, but even they are usually disconnected from major site management should something like a virus attack or a server crash take place. So they have to go contact the owners and then wait for them to do something.

Its probably a case of the site data and content being moved from the compromised server host to another non-compromised one, and that involves trying to save the vast posting history of the site, which may be lost. This happened before with the site which had a server crash I believe, and post history during 2010 or so was lost forever. Hopefully it won't be something this severe...

Reactions: danh011
I loved cockytalk mostly because they kept all the bs in to the correct forums. Baseball here, football there , you didnt have to sort through all the garbage like on FGF.

OT: Best place to get an oil change or the endless Clemson threads.

I hate the way its formatted though. Through the taptalk or whatever it was called was so aggravating I would visit because of that

In the pre-existing thread, it was stated that CockyTalk was being fixed and would return by today. But I think the ownership of the website are not very active with it for quite a while, and typically when that happens websites begin slides into decline and vulnerabilities. They have moderators who are active with maintaining userbase discipline, but even they are usually disconnected from major site management should something like a virus attack or a server crash take place. So they have to go contact the owners and then wait for them to do something.

Its probably a case of the site data and content being moved from the compromised server host to another non-compromised one, and that involves trying to save the vast posting history of the site, which may be lost. This happened before with the site which had a server crash I believe, and post history during 2010 or so was lost forever. Hopefully it won't be something this severe...

Well I doubt their is anything too important from a sports message board that would cause anyone to lose sleep even if it were "compromised"

Well I doubt their is anything too important from a sports message board that would cause anyone to lose sleep even if it were "compromised"

That of course is a subjective opinion that has very little to do with the website owner's perspective, I'm sure.....

Reactions: Jpcooper
Anything Gamecock oriented is fine by me. They do the best job on recruiting than any other board, imo. Proving Ground has good info and it is the forum I visited. Like someone noted Spurt did an excellent job covering open practices. Also there's one poster who is well informed on prospects. I found there coverage on which recruits had offers by position and which recruits were hot on the Gamecocks and those who are not interesting as well and right on. Here's one who hopes they get it back up.

I hope they get up and running too. I visited the recruiting forum almost every day and as mentioned above it had some great free information there. I didn’t read too much of the other forums but did like the Spurticas reports.

Reactions: rogue cock
Daily banter and chat wouldn't be a great loss, but there's a good bit of recruit/recruiting info catalogued in the proving ground forum. It'd be a shame to lose all of that (far from the end of the world, but a shame nonetheless).

Reactions: sclawman77
I actually tried to register for a CockyTalk account a couple of months ago because a couple of my friends are on there. I did everything required and never heard back. So...here I am FGF. Glad to be here.

Reactions: TheRoosterGuru
Soon...
"Site is temporarily down, waiting on vbulletin for one more patch and then will turn the site back on."

Reactions: GSGP69
“Realistic “ to some means bashing team and players and coaches constantly . Heck even bashing recruits that have not even played yet cause some did not think they were “ good enough “ . People like that never have a real discussion. They are not capable. People get so caught up in talking about other posters whether if they calling people sunshine pumpers ( which is so juvenile ) or talking about being realistic. Just makes no sense how people can’t just discuss the gamecocks or any topic related normally

“Realistic “ to some means bashing team and players and coaches constantly . Heck even bashing recruits that have not even played yet cause some did not think they were “ good enough “ . People like that never have a real discussion. They are not capable. People get so caught up in talking about other posters whether if they calling people sunshine pumpers ( which is so juvenile ) or talking about being realistic. Just makes no sense how people can’t just discuss the gamecocks or any topic related normally

Criticizing/bashing players and recruits was never allowed and I agreed and understood that since they’re still kids to a degree. What I didn’t like is not being able to be critical of coaches on occasion. They’re adults and they are getting paid.

Criticizing/bashing players and recruits was never allowed and I agreed and understood that since they’re still kids to a degree. What I didn’t like is not being able to be critical of coaches on occasion. They’re adults and they are getting paid.

I agree on that point. Just some took it too far especially when it was not warranted. That’s more of point I was trying to make

Reactions: rogue cock
I wouldn't be surprised. You were pretty much only allowed to have the "everything is wonderful opinion/attitude." If you were the least bit critical, the threads were closed and you were possibly banned. It was comical to see one thread after another get closed when the football program began the decline in 2014. At least you're allowed to have an opinion over here.

This. If you called a spade a spade u got blacklisted

The site has/had good free info and links. The recruiting info was very good. Game threads were a bit annoying to read because 75%% of the posts were people making inside jokes. Overall I hope it returns due to the free recruiting content.

A bunch of the old Cockytalk posters are on SEC Rant, a branch of the LSU site Tigerdroppings.

If by "a bunch" you mean 4 or 5, then yes. Total number of Gamecocks posting regularly on the dedicated site there = 4 or 5. They regularly trashed Cockytalk because 90% of them got banned from there, but 90% of any info they posted always came from Cockytalk. Perhaps less than that, as there used to be a quality poster for Gamecock baseball that got a lot of his info from TBS's John Whittle, but he hasn't posted there much over the past year or so....

The bitterness is oozing out of you. Once you come to grips with the fact that none of this - not ANY sports board - is of any cosmic importance, you hopefully will attain tranquility. Keep us updated on your progress.

If by "a bunch" you mean 4 or 5, then yes. Total number of Gamecocks posting regularly on the dedicated site there = 4 or 5. They regularly trashed Cockytalk because 90% of them got banned from there, but 90% of any info they posted always came from Cockytalk. Perhaps less than that, as there used to be a quality poster for Gamecock baseball that got a lot of his info from TBS's John Whittle, but he hasn't posted there much over the past year or so....
Is it Fog11? If so he post all of Whittle's information on Insiders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT