ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time the defense gets a nickname?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
I suggest the "3 star" defense in honor of the "no name" defense of the 70's Dolphins. It seems like the D is made up primarily of players ranked 3 stars out of high school, not recruited by Clemson, Florida, UGA. However, they play together, disciplined and with a chip on their shoulder. This is definitely one of the better coached USC defenses I can recall.

I think about half of our starters (at least 5) were 4 star recruits when they came here; maybe we can call them 3.5 star defense?

Maybe. One thing I've noticed for sure under Muschamp vs Spurrier, our D might not always know where they are going or what they're doing but they go there and do it with an attitude. But controlled attitude. I like that.

Reactions: oneblackTA2000
Once we become bowl eligible, I'm down for a nickname....

Maybe. One thing I've noticed for sure under Muschamp vs Spurrier, our D might not always know where they are going or what they're doing but they go there and do it with an attitude. But controlled attitude. I like that.

I'm leaning toward, "Swag-D" or better yet, "Boom-D."

A&M has figured it out. They won the second half against Bama and Florida the last two weeks. I dread facing Mond for the next 3 seasons.

Mond will probably do like every other decent qb they’ve had and transfer..

The Boomerang D. Bent but never broke. If you're not careful they will come back and smack you upside ther head.

Reactions: DarkCock
no

please

thought we had already tried every tacky gimmick

just play football

go cocks!

We have, and the nicknamed defenses are some of the only gimmicks we have tried that seemed to catch on and WORK- Fire Ants, Black Death... whatever that crew with Dswagg and the boys called themselves for a while... The nickname is something for them to beat their chest about, rally around... and it gives the fans something to remember a specific squad by. Normally gimmicks are stupid and don't do anything positive- see anything related to organized fan color coordination!- but the defensive nicknames are good... when they HAVE EARNED IT! I don't know that this team is there yet...

Last edited:
Hell no, the best defenses in the country don't have them bama, Klempsun, tcu etc. I swear our fan base looks at our football program for their personal novelty act. Tennessee has not scored an offensive td in nearly three games. Defense is keeping us in it but far from elite. We dig our gimmicks and trivial stuff that never wins anything.

Hell no, the best defenses in the country don't have them bama, Klempsun, tcu etc. I swear our fan base looks at our football program for their personal novelty act. Tennessee has not scored an offensive td in nearly three games. Defense is keeping us in it but far from elite. We dig our gimmicks and trivial stuff that never wins anything.

Yeah, Bama and Clemson are above gimmicks. :rolleyes:

usa_today_9720374.0.jpg

16530186458_a614239ec6.jpg

Funny. As I typed my post above, I had that exact thought/question.

There was no internet back then to popularize name, so I imagine Tommy Suggs must have used it on the radio broadcast at some point. But that doesn't answer the question where did the nickname originate.

Whatever the defense is called or no name at all, I wish we would never, ever, ever again use the "prevent" defense. It almost prevented us from winning again. On offense or defense, its always best to keep doing what works.

One thing I've noticed for sure under Muschamp vs Spurrier, our D might not always know where they are going or what they're doing but they go there and do it with an attitude. But controlled attitude.
Idk about "controlled"...several times Saturday I was yelling at the tv for the guys to chill out before they got a penalty. Love the results though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT