ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true the Upstate Spurs Up tour cancel due to low interest

The stop in Greenville scheduled for April 30 was postponed "due to unforeseen circumstances". It was supposed to be rescheduled for June.

The stop in Greenville scheduled for April 30 was postponed "due to unforeseen circumstances". It was supposed to be rescheduled for June.

Very well could have been for lack of interest. Can’t know for sure. I can tell you though that you don’t see very much garnet anymore. It’s a shame. Spartanburg is mostly Gamecock but you see nothing. Greenville is probably 55/45 tater. See even less. The worm needs to turn quickly. The athletic department is losing people’s interest.

Very well could have been for lack of interest. Can’t know for sure. I can tell you though that you don’t see very much garnet anymore. It’s a shame. Spartanburg is mostly Gamecock but you see nothing. Greenville is probably 55/45 tater. See even less. The worm needs to turn quickly. The athletic department is losing people’s interest.
But I thought the only measurement for its success was that Ray is good at raising money? Eyeroll

Never seen a lot of Garnet in Greenville even when we were beating quempsum five in a row.

Reactions: rogue cock
We use to have a football kick-off meeting shortly before the start of the season in Greenville. I think it was sponsored by the Greenville Gamecock Club. The cheerleaders and Cocky would be present and it was well attended by the fans but there hasn't been one of those events in quite sometime. Gosh, we have to do something to revitalize interest in Gamecock sports in the upstate.

I

I did. I was one of them.

I did, too but there were very few. One time and one time only did I ever go shopping in the Heywood Mall at Christmas and saw more Garnet than unurge. I can't remember what year. We don't go shopping at the Heywood Mall anymore, in fact, we haven't shopped there in a number of years.

We use to have a football kick-off meeting shortly before the start of the season in Greenville. I think it was sponsored by the Greenville Gamecock Club. The cheerleaders and Cocky would be present and it was well attended by the fans but there hasn't been one of those events in quite sometime. Gosh, we have to do something to revitalize interest in Gamecock sports in the upstate.
Freddie, I cant remember the name of the bar but I went to one of those at a bar on Pelham rd. I met Jermale Kelly and big GEORGE. It was a gamecock bar. Yes, for the flagship school, it is bad right now. The absolute stompings by taters has destroyed enthusiasm and quite honestly, USC does a very poor job of marketing anything and/or communicating.

Just wondering if this is only for Gamecock club or alumni members. Alumni who may be interested extend beyond just those two groups. (Me, for example)

Freddie, I cant remember the name of the bar but I went to one of those at a bar on Pelham rd. I met Jermale Kelly and big GEORGE. It was a gamecock bar. Yes, for the flagship school, it is bad right now. The absolute stompings by taters has destroyed enthusiasm and quite honestly, USC does a very poor job of marketing anything and/or communicating.
I believe that bar was called "Oasis."

As a Greenville Gamecock there are plenty of us up here. Let’s face it attendance is down at these everywhere. That’s what happens when we have had our butt handed to us on a platter by our rival in just about everything lately. It’s getting old. Enough excuses. Win anyway.

As a Greenville Gamecock there are plenty of us up here. Let’s face it attendance is down at these everywhere. That’s what happens when we have had our butt handed to us on a platter by our rival in just about everything lately. It’s getting old. Enough excuses. Win anyway.
I agree. I grew up in Anderson and there are a lot of Gamecock fans there. They are outnumbered by the Clemson fans, but there were plenty of Gamecock fans. When you live 2 hours away from Columbia, it's a considerably larger investment to attend games. As the excitement goes down while the ticket prices go up, it's not surprising that those fans from the upstate will be among the first to decide they have better things to do. Winning tends to solve everything, but what happens if it's several years before we start generating some excitement again? I fear many of those fans who used to travel to Columbia religiously will have gotten used to watching the games on TV and getting a lot more done around the house on their Saturdays.

I agree. I grew up in Anderson and there are a lot of Gamecock fans there. They are outnumbered by the Clemson fans, but there were plenty of Gamecock fans. When you live 2 hours away from Columbia, it's a considerably larger investment to attend games. As the excitement goes down while the ticket prices go up, it's not surprising that those fans from the upstate will be among the first to decide they have better things to do. Winning tends to solve everything, but what happens if it's several years before we start generating some excitement again? I fear many of those fans who used to travel to Columbia religiously will have gotten used to watching the games on TV and getting a lot more done around the house on their Saturdays.

Agree. It’s tough being this close to Taterville. Just as there are no shortage of Taters in Columbia, there are plenty of us up here.

You have a great point. If this doesn’t get made up it doesn’t bode well for trying to reach one of the larger areas of the state. The event was not marketed well at all.....about as great as U of S.C.

I can go for free thanks to my high school league pass, but I’ve gotten to the point where even when it is free I don’t attend all the time. I have kids, I’m not into going when it’s 110 or a monsoon. Call me a fair weather fan. I’ve been to some bad weather games in my younger day. Just don’t care to do it as much now that I’m pushing 40. Definitely no desire to put my kids through it. Losing doesn’t help. I wasn’t missing much when we were punishing Clemmons on a regular basis.

That’s attached to an article from 2014, when we were coming off our 5 straight, is that map up to date now or in 2014.
Don't know. It's the only map I know that gave the information in such detail. I doubt many change their allegiances that quickly. In Beaufort County the numbers appear to remain along those lines....more UGA fans than CU fans.

Agree. It’s tough being this close to Taterville. Just as there are no shortage of Taters in Columbia, there are plenty of us up here.

You have a great point. If this doesn’t get made up it doesn’t bode well for trying to reach one of the larger areas of the state. The event was not marketed well at all.....about as great as U of S.C.

I can go for free thanks to my high school league pass, but I’ve gotten to the point where even when it is free I don’t attend all the time. I have kids, I’m not into going when it’s 110 or a monsoon. Call me a fair weather fan. I’ve been to some bad weather games in my younger day. Just don’t care to do it as much now that I’m pushing 40. Definitely no desire to put my kids through it. Losing doesn’t help. I wasn’t missing much when we were punishing Clemmons on a regular basis.

Oh my gosh, you are a young fellow and only two hours away. But let me say this, I have attended many USC home openers. But the last time I attended a home opener was against Texas A&M and then the second game of that season was against East Carolina and both of them were night games or many 6:00 PM start times. And those two games were the hottest I ever attended. I remember for the Texas A&M game we walked up to Bojangles to get something to eat, thinking one would cool off but even in that restaurant there were so many people inside that it was actually hot in there. Anyway, we walked back to the car and I turned on the A/C trying to get cooled off. We were parked on a grass surface and the thermometer read 100 degrees F. and it is always actuate within a couple of degrees.

Reactions: Brace1
Oh my gosh, you are a young fellow and only two hours away. But let me say this, I have attended many USC home openers. But the last time I attended a home opener was against Texas A&M and then the second game of that season was against East Carolina and both of them were night games or many 6:00 PM start times. And those two games were the hottest I ever attended. I remember for the Texas A&M game we walked up to Bojangles to get something to eat, thinking one would cool off but even in that restaurant there were so many people inside that it was actually hot in there. Anyway, we walked back to the car and I turned on the A/C trying to get cooled off. We were parked on a grass surface and the thermometer read 100 degrees F. and it is always actuate within a couple of degrees.

Those were bad. Georgia last year did me in. I seriously over heated and felt about as close to death as I have ever been.

Rendezvous

It also enlightened me about the mindset of many of our fans that cared more about a player's NFL draft status than winning the bowl game.

Our neighbors up north would never support a player that let the team down.
I think the first sentence is unassailable. And you'll see the same thing the next time one of them bolts, choosing not to participate in a "meaningless" bowl, which in our situation, none of them are. As for what they would do at UPC, it's what the players did that speaks volumes.

Reactions: 76MACC
Anyone go see Muschamp at the Gamecock club meetings this spring or has this been named the "Spurs up tour" now? I'd be curious to know how attendance looked. I attended his first one in 2016 in Aiken and that was it. Of course I only attended one of Spurriers as well. Same old speel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proudcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT