ADVERTISEMENT

Is "John Hunt Syndrome" hurting SOS?

JKC4USC

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2007
It has been discussed on here in the past that SOS is loyal to his friends/coaches to a fault. He held onto JH at Fl, and here at USC, too long. It set our OL back several years. Am I the only one that feels he's doing the same with other coaches now? I think there are several coaches here now, that if they were at any other SEC school, they'd be coaching HS somewhere. I'm not saying all our issues are on certain ass't coaches, but we need a serious upgrade at certain spots. Also, I still can't help but feel at times that SOS is just marking time. SOS is the best thing that ever happened to USC football, but even Bowden and Jo Pa overstayed their welcome. However, unless something very unusual happens to hurt his reputation, we can't fire SOS. We'd be the laughing stock of college football, and we'd be hard pressed to ever find a decent head coach. A lot of head coaching candidates would think, "hell, if they'll fire SOS, they'll fire anyone." Here's to hoping we can salvage this season.

It has been discussed on here in the past that SOS is loyal to his friends/coaches to a fault. He held onto JH at Fl, and here at USC, too long. It set our OL back several years. Am I the only one that feels he's doing the same with other coaches now? I think there are several coaches here now, that if they were at any other SEC school, they'd be coaching HS somewhere. I'm not saying all our issues are on certain ass't coaches, but we need a serious upgrade at certain spots. Also, I still can't help but feel at times that SOS is just marking time. SOS is the best thing that ever happened to USC football, but even Bowden and Jo Pa overstayed their welcome. However, unless something very unusual happens to hurt his reputation, we can't fire SOS. We'd be the laughing stock of college football, and we'd be hard pressed to ever find a decent head coach. A lot of head coaching candidates would think, "hell, if they'll fire SOS, they'll fire anyone." Here's to hoping we can salvage this season.
The biggest problem (among many) is Jr. SOS isn't canning Jr. Plus, with SOS clearly on the way out, whether it's this year or in 2 years, he isn't firing anyone. We're stuck (screwed).

Yeah, if Jr. is really in charge of recruiting, then that's a big issue. I'm behind our guys 100%, but it's very apparent that our overall talent is way down from our 11 win seasons. And I agree, Jr. ain't going anywhere unless he's offered a better job. As for ass't coaches, with maybe the exception of Elliot, I find it somewhat telling that not one other ass't coach has even been offered a chance to interview for a better job since Ellis left for SM.

We had the worst defense in school history last year and SOS fired no one. Instead he hired an ole buddy to come in. Meanwhile, SOS Jr. continues to underwhelm as a recruiting coordinator. So yes, it is a problem that SOS has essentially turned our program into a place where friends/family can come cash enormous pay checks with zero accountability.

Our lack of stellar recruiting over the past few years has finally come home to roost. Recruits decommitting at a high rate last year, an inordinate number of walk-ons being on the two deep or starting, and a glaring lack of talent at WR, moving players to other positions in the days leading up to the season...all indicators that we just simply did not have the talent to compete in the SEC. This season did not catch me by surprise like 2014 did. Sadly.

Yeah, if Jr. is really in charge of recruiting, then that's a big issue. I'm behind our guys 100%, but it's very apparent that our overall talent is way down from our 11 win seasons. And I agree, Jr. ain't going anywhere unless he's offered a better job. As for ass't coaches, with maybe the exception of Elliot, I find it somewhat telling that not one other ass't coach has even been offered a chance to interview for a better job since Ellis left for SM.
Yep. This is who we lost and replaced them with:

RB Coach Graham __ Sands
DL Coach Lawing __ Adams
RC Beamer __ Junior
LB Coach EJ __ Botkins
DC EJ __ Ward
Secondary Cooper __ Ward

That's a lot of recruiting talent and coaching experience lost and not replaced.

Our lack of stellar recruiting over the past few years has finally come home to roost. Recruits decommitting at a high rate last year, an inordinate number of walk-ons being on the two deep or starting, and a glaring lack of talent at WR, moving players to other positions in the days leading up to the season...all indicators that we just simply did not have the talent to compete in the SEC. This season did not catch me by surprise like 2014 did. Sadly.

What's the deal with your "Joined" date? You joined in 2003 but today is the first time you've posted.

What's the deal with your "Joined" date? You joined in 2003 but today is the first time you've posted.
I was here and posted regularly for a long time under another name, but I got tired of people obsessing over other members, instead of simply having good, civil conversation about the issues. I have read this forum regularly, since then, but I don't live on message boards, so I just haven't posted again in a long time. It doesn't matter to me where you are from, or whether you've posted once or 20,000 times. Don't know why it would matter to anybody else. I work long hours every week, I am as big a Gamecock fan as there has ever been, and will always be.

Yep. This is who we lost and replaced them with:

RB Coach Graham __ Sands
DL Coach Lawing __ Adams
RC Beamer __ Junior
LB Coach EJ __ Botkins
DC EJ __ Ward
Secondary Cooper __ Ward

That's a lot of recruiting talent and coaching experience lost and not replaced.
This is a strong post. Also, SOS is 70. It's not the same staff.

The biggest problem (among many) is Jr. SOS isn't canning Jr. Plus, with SOS clearly on the way out, whether it's this year or in 2 years, he isn't firing anyone. We're stuck (screwed).
Why is Jr the biggest problem? Please explain to me in complete details as to why you believe this? Should be interesting to hear your comments!

I was here and posted regularly for a long time under another name, but I got tired of people obsessing over other members, instead of simply having good, civil conversation about the issues. I have read this forum regularly, since then, but I don't live on message boards, so I just haven't posted again in a long time. It doesn't matter to me where you are from, or whether you've posted once or 20,000 times. Don't know why it would matter to anybody else. I work long hours every week, I am as big a Gamecock fan as there has ever been, and will always be.

It wasn't my intention to suggest someone with 20,000 posts is automatically a better Gamecock fan than someone with less. I thought maybe there was a glitch in how Rivals was assigning new members a "Joined" date.

No problem. No glitch, though. Just an old timer who came back to try some football conversation.

Why is Jr the biggest problem? Please explain to me in complete details as to why you believe this? Should be interesting to hear your comments!
Here's just a sampling. He's the RC. Our talent has dropped significantly under his watch. That should be enough. But, his WR position has dropped in talent and production the past few years. He doesn't get along with GA. His father allows him to call the plays (despite SOS's promises to the contrary) and the results speak for themselves.

Go speak to ppl in the know. They'll tell you. We've seen this movie before.

We had the worst defense in school history last year and SOS fired no one. Instead he hired an ole buddy to come in. Meanwhile, SOS Jr. continues to underwhelm as a recruiting coordinator. So yes, it is a problem that SOS has essentially turned our program into a place where friends/family can come cash enormous pay checks with zero accountability.
Yeah, but we're financing some fantastic times with the grandkids...gotta keep them all close to grandma and grandpa.

Whaaat??? You WORK??? Long hours??? In THIS day and age? Man, you need to slow down . . . and our coaching staff needs to speed things up!:)

Reactions: Fbarn2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT