ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kingston still in the dugout? If so, why?

Truthfully, we need to already be looking for a new coach. This program is still an attractive one provided we don't let Kingston hang around by giving him "one more year". We saw that with our other two major mens programs and we do not need to go for the trifecta. If Tanner needs to be part of the change then so be it.

Truthfully, we need to already be looking for a new coach. This program is still an attractive one provided we don't let Kingston hang around by giving him "one more year". We saw that with our other two major mens programs and we do not need to go for the trifecta. If Tanner needs to be part of the change then so be it.
Kingston new name in the portal

If he's fired now, Ray makes yet ANOTHER hire. I don't think we can afford that.

It won't be a popular opinion, but I'd rather keep MK one more year, see what happens if we can get some pitching injuries cleaned up, and go from there. If we don't make a regional next year, no excuses - let CMK go...... And HOPEFULLY, Tanner will be gone and a new AD can hire a new baseball coach.

• Haha
Reactions: cockofdawn
The fact that our baseball program was what it was, and even after Holbrook didn’t work out, just about anyone in baseball knew he was the logical replacement, plus, when he left, the program was still Carolina Baseball. Why then you make the call to Mark Kingston, I will never understand.

We are not Carolina Baseball right now, and I’m not sure how many top coaches wanna take that chance. Ray can’t make the hire though, but he will, and it won’t be good.

Reactions: 92Pony
He seems like a nice guy and handles press conferences well when things are going very badly

but it's obvious it's time for a change.

Another coaching change will be as popular with the state legislature as a swarm of bees in the bathroom but it's needed.

Sad we have to worry about what the politicians in Columbia think about it but that's the fault of the crappiest board of trustees in the country.

Reactions: 92Pony
If they do release him, the $1,000,000.00 increase in buyout attached to last year's extension should come directly out of the pocket of Ray and the BOT. That was ridiculous. They could have easily extended his contract and kept the buyout exactly where it was - at approximately $1.2mil. That figure still represented twice his yearly salary base.

Don't go fundraising for that nonsense, Ray. Open your own wallet.

I think without some type of miracle finish, which doesn't seem to be in the future when you can't beat USC Upstate, that Kingston has probably resigned himself to being fired. No matter what they owe him, this baseball program has gone from the elite of college baseball to one that may not even qualify for the SEC tournament. In fact I would almost bet Kingston almost hopes they don't qualify just to get it over with. But what do I know? I thought Frank Martin was out two years ago. Then for sure after last year. But he got another year of the same mediocrity he produced before. Maybe the same will happen with baseball.

Kingston is just a clip under how he's typically performed as a head coach.

Another head-scratcher hire. Another buyout.

Overall: 408–284–1 (.589)
USC Record: 135–104 (.565)

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Why is he still coaching? Because Ray Tanner's his boss. Firing and hiring new coaches for different sports in the same year is too much stress. Besides, Ray's contract ends in 2024. Not like he has to worry about being fired. He's Ray Tanner. Until then, he just counts his money.

Maybe just maybe we can get a finish to this season like the one in the movie “Here Comes The Boom.”🥴
And. Unicorns are real.

Gotta love how for years all we heard on the radio from Kornblut (when I could bear to listen to him) and KMac (before he quit) was how arrogant and unrealistic Carolina fans were for complaining about Kingston (and Ray too). How we didn't understand baseball and how unfair we were to coaches. Well, here it is 10 years later and we've been to a couple supers but really never sniffed Omaha. Guess Carolina fans were right all along. We are a shell of the program we used to be and that was our fear all along getting crap coaches with an unqualified AD. Same goes with Ray. Carolina fans have been right about him too since Spurrier left. Should have been shown the door.

Last edited:
Gotta love how for years all we heard on the radio from Kornblut (when I could bear to listen to him) and KMac (before he quit) was how arrogant and unrealistic Carolina fans were for complaining about Kingston (and Ray too). How we didn't understand baseball and how unfair we were to coaches. Well, here it is 10 years later and we've been to a couple supers but really never sniffed Omaha. Guess Carolina fans were right all along. We are a shell of the program we used to be and that was our fear all along getting crap coaches with an unqualified AD. Same goes with Ray. Carolina fans have been right about him too since Spurrier left. Should have been shown the door.
The thing is at least when it comes to baseball, South Carolina fans in general have been as knowledgeable as any out there. The majority of them can’t be bull crapped and don’t have to toe the company line like these talking heads do.
There are a few sunshine pumpers that will support their team either way and will clap when we’re getting beat by Presbyterian, but the average fan was smart enough to know the Kingston hire was giving us a huge turd sandwich. He’s in way over his head and nothing on his resume ever suggested he would not be.

At least with Holbroke I understood the hire. This was a complete $hit show from the start. In fact if Holbroke didn’t leave him a loaded roster in year one, this guy probably would have been gone a year ago.

The thing is at least when it comes to baseball, South Carolina fans in general have been as knowledgeable as any out there. The majority of them can’t be bull crapped and don’t have to toe the company line like these talking heads do.
There are a few sunshine pumpers that will support their team either way and will clap when we’re getting beat by Presbyterian, but the average fan was smart enough to know the Kingston hire was giving us a huge turd sandwich. He’s in way over his head and nothing on his resume ever suggested he would not be.

At least with Holbroke I understood the hire. This was a complete $hit show from the start. In fact if Holbroke didn’t leave him a loaded roster in year one, this guy probably would have been gone a year ago.
Yep, Kingston had one great season at South Florida and he's suddenly qualified to coach a premier SEC and national power. Now we're an SEC cellar dweller. Ray's legacy as an AD-destroying the mens major sports programs. But thank goodness he runs a tight budget in the sports department.

We need a twofer.

Tanner, then Kingston
And for Ray Rays latest magic trick! Kingston got a bump in payout LAST YEAR

We do some of the dumbest crap there possibly can be done and no one seems to care at all. Kingston need to go just after Ray clears the door.

Ray must not get the chance to hire nor review and contract with anyone including the garbage service

Well here we are with the real possibility of an overall losing record in the regular season for the first time since 1996 and only the second time since 1970.
So with one game left to play, will Kingston lead us to victory and another embarassing 27-27 season for the second time in five years and keep the losing season at bay? Or do we finish the regular season with a 26-28 record and make the losing season official. Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT