ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rattler the savior of Gamecock football? (Mentally prepared for the barrage of posters who will only read the title before responding)

Is he better than what we have had the past couple of years? Yes. Savior? Not even close. People need to temper expectations of this kid.
He was the worst QB of the Lincoln Riley era at OU and got benched for a freshman in his 3rd year in his system.
So now he is going to have a worse offensive coordinator, with much less weapons, a worse o line, going up against much better defenses.
So savior? Not even close.
Upgrade? very much so.

Is he better than what we have had the past couple of years? Yes. Savior? Not even close. People need to temper expectations of this kid.
He was the worst QB of the Lincoln Riley era at OU and got benched for a freshman in his 3rd year in his system.
So now he is going to have a worse offensive coordinator, with much less weapons, a worse o line, going up against much better defenses.
So savior? Not even close.
Upgrade? very much so.

This is part of what I was interested in.

Do folks think we’re getting a 5* QB or a QB who was demoted at a program in a less-difficult conference.

Savior? I don't think any player wants that tag. Difference Maker? Yes! QB play is the key to success at the college level. Get ready for a hell of a ride next season!

This is part of what I was interested in.

Do folks think we’re getting a 5* QB or a QB who was demoted at a program in a less-difficult conference.
I think that is a terrible take, every player has a bad game and Rattler was playing great his first year. Williams came in and provided a spark but saying Rattler was bad is just ludicrous

Reactions: section2cock
Do we he's only going to play one year?
I think that’s certainly the hope for most. If he plays very well, he’s gone to the draft. If he isn’t projected to be drafted in the early rounds then it means he probably didn’t have a very good year.

I think that is a terrible take, every player has a bad game and Rattler was playing great his first year. Williams came in and provided a spark but saying Rattler was bad is just ludicrous

Well, he didn't say "bad", just that rattler was demoted while playing in an easier conference. That is true.

Rattler strung a few less than awesome games together too, not just one.

we just have some people that are always looking for the worst and not only that, they wanna make sure you see the worst also. cant help but think a couple of guys in here are closet clemson fans

I see a super talented guy coming in and looking for redemption and that's what gets me excited. He is driven, wants to play in the NFL, has a chip on his shoulder and will be a benchmark for some other talented players in the QB room, which is a good thing for the future. We will win 2 games next season that we should not win, because of him.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Is that too much to expect of a single player?

Without question, he’s the most anticipated signee we’ve had in a long time maybe. Maybe ever, considering all factors. We had a lot big commits under Spurrier, but we were already pretty good then so none were considered saviors for the program.

But that is certainly how many (most?) are looking at Rattler.

To be certain, this is THE moment for Beamer and Satterfield to show what the offense can do with a good QB under center. Among other factors, QB play severely limited what our offense was capable of last season. That presumably won’t be the case this season.

I say “presumably” because Rattler did have a drop in production from 2020 to 2021, which begs the question: How much stock do you put in Rattler getting benched this past season? Is 2020 or 2021 the better representation of who he is as a QB?

We’ll have one our most highly anticipated spring games we’ve ever had this year. EVERYONE in Gamecock Nation is looking at Rattler as the key component for this season. If the offense takes off, it could set the table for Beamer to recruit higher caliber players once they see how the offense performs with a good QB. If the offense still struggles, it’ll be perceived that the offense couldn’t get it done even with a top caliber QB.
OK I don't keep up with folk's handles too much but have you always had that one or did you chance it when Rattler announced he was coming in ? Just curious.

Is that too much to expect of a single player?

Without question, he’s the most anticipated signee we’ve had in a long time maybe. Maybe ever, considering all factors. We had a lot big commits under Spurrier, but we were already pretty good then so none were considered saviors for the program.

But that is certainly how many (most?) are looking at Rattler.

To be certain, this is THE moment for Beamer and Satterfield to show what the offense can do with a good QB under center. Among other factors, QB play severely limited what our offense was capable of last season. That presumably won’t be the case this season.

I say “presumably” because Rattler did have a drop in production from 2020 to 2021, which begs the question: How much stock do you put in Rattler getting benched this past season? Is 2020 or 2021 the better representation of who he is as a QB?

We’ll have one our most highly anticipated spring games we’ve ever had this year. EVERYONE in Gamecock Nation is looking at Rattler as the key component for this season. If the offense takes off, it could set the table for Beamer to recruit higher caliber players once they see how the offense performs with a good QB. If the offense still struggles, it’ll be perceived that the offense couldn’t get it done even with a top caliber QB.
Spencer Rattler brings more to the table than skills... I think he will do fine for us and Coach Beamer had done a good job of making Portal Picks and bring in players we need to fill big holes and play right away...

Reactions: turncock
I did not say he was bad. However, there are likely a mix of folks, some who see it as us bringing in a 5* QB and otbers who see Rattler as a QB who was benched in the Big 12.

Reactions: 92Pony and Dizzy01
Spencer Rattler brings more to the table than skills... I think he will do fine for us and Coach Beamer had done a good job of making Portal Picks and bring in players we need to fill big holes and play right away...
Aside from skills, he brings exposure. A lot of eyes will be watching next year that would not have otherwise paid attention to us.

I hope he also brings a little attitude. This team needs some. We need someone with a little bit of a cocky flair.

I figured it out, the portal is the savior of Gamecock football

rattle-boss-baby.gif

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I see a super talented guy coming in and looking for redemption and that's what gets me excited. He is driven, wants to play in the NFL, has a chip on his shoulder and will be a benchmark for some other talented players in the QB room, which is a good thing for the future. We will win 2 games next season that we should not win, because of him.
He should definitely be motivated to prove his detractors wrong.

Savior? I don't think any player wants that tag. Difference Maker? Yes! QB play is the key to success at the college level. Get ready for a hell of a ride next season!
It promises to be fun. My expectations for Rattler are ones of cautious optimism. Like most here, I didn’t follow OU closely enough this year to watch their games and see how he actually played. The fact that Lincoln bolted out of the blue for SoCal causes one to think maybe he wasn’t fully plugged in as coach this year.

I think this thread is a VERY interesting discussion...

wouldn't we say Marcus was a savior for our program back in 2010 - 2012?...IF Rattler can give ANY sort of similar results, such as an SEC East title & the foundation for MULTIPLE double-digit win seasons, I'd say Rattler COULD potentially become another savior...RMO III
I think it can really only be assessed retrospectively. If we look back in 5-10 years and this season stands out as the real turning point and Rattler was key to that, then he would have to be given credit.

Is Rattler the savior of Gamecock football? NO.

Is that too much to expect of a single player? YES.

Without question, he’s the most anticipated signee we’ve had in a long time maybe. Maybe ever, considering all factors. We had a lot big commits under Spurrier, but we were already pretty good then so none were considered saviors for the program. He is not a more anticipated signee than Clowney.

But that is certainly how many (most?) are looking at Rattler. Ok, they need to pump the brakes a little then.

To be certain, this is THE moment for Beamer and Satterfield to show what the offense can do with a good QB under center. Among other factors, QB play severely limited what our offense was capable of last season. That presumably won’t be the case this season. Rattler got benched last year. It's no guarantee he couldn't be beaten out by someone else.

I say “presumably” because Rattler did have a drop in production from 2020 to 2021, which begs the question: How much stock do you put in Rattler getting benched this past season? Is 2020 or 2021 the better representation of who he is as a QB? Mixed bag, little of both.

We’ll have one our most highly anticipated spring games we’ve ever had this year. EVERYONE in Gamecock Nation is looking at Rattler as the key component for this season. If the offense takes off, it could set the table for Beamer to recruit higher caliber players once they see how the offense performs with a good QB. If the offense still struggles, it’ll be perceived that the offense couldn’t get it done even with a top caliber QB. It's great that we lured Rattler. It shows momentum for Shane, and it could definitely help our offense. Saying anything beyond that right now is delusional. You're not one of those Taters trying to make the Gamecock fans look delusional are you?

GarnetBeamer, you felt like people didn't read your post, so I typed up something that goes point by point.

Cliffs: The answer is still no and reading the topic title is enough to get where you're going.

Without question, he’s the most anticipated signee we’ve had in a long time maybe. Maybe ever, considering all factors. We had a lot big commits under Spurrier, but we were already pretty good then so none were considered saviors for the program. He is not a more anticipated signee than Clowney.

But that is certainly how many (most?) are looking at Rattler. Ok, they need to pump the brakes a little then.

To be certain, this is THE moment for Beamer and Satterfield to show what the offense can do with a good QB under center. Among other factors, QB play severely limited what our offense was capable of last season. That presumably won’t be the case this season. Rattler got benched last year. It's no guarantee he couldn't be beaten out by someone else.

I say “presumably” because Rattler did have a drop in production from 2020 to 2021, which begs the question: How much stock do you put in Rattler getting benched this past season? Is 2020 or 2021 the better representation of who he is as a QB? Mixed bag, little of both.

We’ll have one our most highly anticipated spring games we’ve ever had this year. EVERYONE in Gamecock Nation is looking at Rattler as the key component for this season. If the offense takes off, it could set the table for Beamer to recruit higher caliber players once they see how the offense performs with a good QB. If the offense still struggles, it’ll be perceived that the offense couldn’t get it done even with a top caliber QB. It's great that we lured Rattler. It shows momentum for Shane, and it could definitely help our offense. Saying anything beyond that right now is delusional. You're not one of those Taters trying to make the Gamecock fans look delusional are you?
It’s quite arguable that he’s more anticipated than Clowney. The D was already pretty good when we signed Clowney and we were pretty decent as a team at the time. Rattler is coming into a situation where our QB situation was pretty dreadful and the offense, for the most part was as well. Many fans are looking at Rattler as the key to revamping and turning out offense around. Clowney was more seen as a prospect to take a good d/team and put it over the top.

If you’d read my other posts, I have noted that it’s hard to tell what kind of QB we are getting.

Reactions: taiwancock

I want to agree with you about Clowney v Rattler. Especially because we got a guaranteed three years versus one year with Rattler.

But a QB can increase the value of a team so much more than a DE.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Rattler threw two picks in the Red River Rivalry and got benched. OU is QB U so having Williams sitting ready to lead the comeback was ready made. Spencer could have very well turned it around in that game but Riley never gave him a chance. Then Riley bolts to USC-W. Go figure.
He has every chance to succeed here. No established starter, an o line that seems to have figured things out, and some weapons to work with.

I want to agree with you about Clowney v Rattler. Especially because we got a guaranteed three years versus one year with Rattler.

But a QB can increase the value of a team so much more than a DE.
Yeah, QB is almost always the most visible position on the team. It’s the only player in football whose stats include wins and losses.

A lot of it has to be viewed situationally. When we signed Clowney we were already pretty good and had a good D and we were getting plenty of exposure bc Spurrier was our head coach.

Rattler is coming into a drastically different situation. We are not pretty good (yet) and our offense was bad. I’m a Beamer supporter, but he doesn’t bring any notoriety to our program like Spurrier did.

Given all of that, Rattler’s signing has the potential to be more impactful bc the QB position was in desperate need of an upgrade. And he brings exposure that we otherwise would not have had. Obviously, he still has to perform. If he gets off to a bad or even so-so start, the impact is probably lost.

I just hope the young man brings stability and leadership to the position. Give us a chance to score when a team turns the ball over 3 times inside their own 40 yard line (Kentucky this past season). I'm not asking much, just do your job young man and the rest will take care of itself.

Springboard may be a better term than savior. I think he can elevate this team and help build the foundation for unseen success here if the Oline can gel and the offense remains balanced. No player will ever be the savior of the program.
Right...hopefully a springboard. I don't know that our program needs saving. We haven't arrived, and we aren't on the brink of disaster. College football as a whole? That's a different story.
He's a talented player. I hope he kills it at Carolina. From the limited plays I saw on the HS show he was on, and knowing OU's AR (PR) offense...I can't wait to see how he adjusts to the offense he's coming into. Compl. % stats are a product of AR/PR....can't expect him to do that here. He won't throw 70% here (in the current offense), but hopefully he can play very well.

It’s quite arguable that he’s more anticipated than Clowney. The D was already pretty good when we signed Clowney and we were pretty decent as a team at the time. Rattler is coming into a situation where our QB situation was pretty dreadful and the offense, for the most part was as well. Many fans are looking at Rattler as the key to revamping and turning out offense around. Clowney was more seen as a prospect to take a good d/team and put it over the top.

If you’d read my other posts, I have noted that it’s hard to tell what kind of QB we are getting.
USCwatson just took your side, so yeah I guess you can say it is "arguable." 😁

Clowney was recently named the highest rated recruit ever. Can't remember where I saw that but maybe someone has a link.

Also, I'm just going by how I felt as a fan. When Clowney signed, I was like "ok we have a legit championship shot in the next three years." When Rattler signed, it was "cool, this guy can help us out this year and bridge the gap."

If any of you were true Carolina fans you would already know that the NCAA has invested all of its resources in an immediate investigation into the initial recruitment of Rattler to Oklahoma. They will find countless recruiting violations and deem him forever ineligible to play at the College level. Stogner will also be investigated but not deemed eligible to play until week 7 of the season. The Carolina administration will learn of this exactly 3 days prior to kick off.

The QB is very important but there are many pieces to the puzzle.

I’m excited that I think we finally have a solid and legit QB that will be a much needed upgrade.

not even close to Clowneys hype and status comimg in. JdC was a true program difference maker...elevated the entire team. SC likely will never have another player mean as much and generate that kind of interest from one single player again. There was a lot of magic during his time here....and much of it had to do with him.

ADVERTISEMENT