ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any mechanism whereby we can discuss the intersection of politics/current events and sports

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
I understand and agree with the mods decisions to clamp down on broad political discussions. However, general sports discussions have always been permitted here. There have been many discussions on this board in the past relating the issues of college football players being compensated. Likewise, there are many ongoing issues in politics/current events that have intersected with the sports world, notably college football. Some of these things are rapidly becoming trends. From Oklahoma State to Alabama to Kansas State, some very interesting things have taken place that very well could change the entire landscape of college football. It's a very small step to see how that impacts Gamecocks football. It would be nice if there was an outlet to discuss these things in their proper sports context.

Thread deleted in 3...2...1...

I understand and agree with the mods decisions to clamp down on broad political discussions. However, general sports discussions have always been permitted here. There have been many discussions on this board in the past relating the issues of college football players being compensated. Likewise, there are many ongoing issues in politics/current events that have intersected with the sports world, notably college football. Some of these things are rapidly becoming trends. From Oklahoma State to Alabama to Kansas State, some very interesting things have taken place that very well could change the entire landscape of college football. It's a very small step to see how that impacts Gamecocks football. It would be nice if there was an outlet to discuss these things in their proper sports context.

There is no reason for politics to be involved in sports. The infusion of politics into sports will ultimately ruin sports because most people follow sports to get away from politics. I suspect this is why ESPN's ratings continue to drop.

The chance of a productive conversation about the situations at Kansas State or Oklahoma State or Mississippi State is zero. It turns into a contest of how many different ways we can degrade a player.

Emotions certainly run high, but we can't pretend that the two haven't intersected. Like it or not, politics is a part of sports now.

It's hard when you have these headlines and the NBA coming out with new names for social justice...

Report: NBA to let players replace names on jerseys with social justice statement in Florida

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-let-pl...VRpQnWOZgxVz8mfucHB9-A4f9HtViSPc8kYehJNK4zvOs

Kansas State football players plan boycott over student's George Floyd tweet

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kansas-state-football-players-boycott-student-george-floyd-tweet

The second issue in particular, is of particular interest to this forum for Gamecock football. That is simply huge. Maybe bigger than anyone here cares to admit.

Players can just refuse to play until they get their way on an issue.

What implications does this have for their scholarships?

Can college football even really exist in that environment?

The chance of a productive conversation about the situations at Kansas State or Oklahoma State or Mississippi State is zero. It turns into a contest of how many different ways we can degrade a player.
I think the chances are zero for other reasons. People are asking that speech be restricted by these state schools. They legally can't do that because of the 1st amendment. Protected speech is protected even when you don't like it.

I think the chances are zero for other reasons. People are asking that speech be restricted by these state schools. They legally can't do that because of the 1st amendment. Protected speech is protected even when you don't like it.

This is just so huge.

Probably not because too many people can't act like adults and have respectful discourse over issues. Instead they start acting like petulant children fighting over a toy.
And they result in really bad language which is not necessary.

So cancel culture, created by the left, is only available to the left, and all other speech is canceled.

Right.

But to stay with your basic idea, let's cancel cancel culture. I'm all for that. Right now it's all about protect players, completely ignore the fans. That will change. This hyper political society will wear on Americans.

Probably not because too many people can't act like adults and have respectful discourse over issues. Instead they start acting like petulant children fighting over a toy.
You are correct. Unfortunately civil society depends on civil debate, not civil refusal to debate. If we put our heads in the sand, we suffocate.

You also have the freedom to ignore their speech.

There is no reason for politics to be involved in sports. The infusion of politics into sports will ultimately ruin sports because most people follow sports to get away from politics. I suspect this is why ESPN's ratings continue to drop.
Lol. This is not why their ratings dropped.

Reactions: GreatestCock
Players getting paid dwarfs in comparison to some of the potential changes looming for college football.

I've been accused of being "on the left" by just about every trump supporter on this forum. Notice I said trump supporter, not Republicans. They start with their labels and cute names and it takes off from there. Nothing new tho, it was these same posters that got smalltalk shutdown because they dished it out but were incapable of taking it in return. Then they come in threads like this and act innocent.

So cancel culture, created by the left, is only available to the left, and all other speech is canceled.

Right.

But to stay with your basic idea, let's cancel cancel culture. I'm all for that. Right now it's all about protect players, completely ignore the fans. That will change. This hyper political society will wear on Americans.
I just simply don't care about everyone's opinions of these stories because it will turn political. The discussion was about these stories and this website. I don't have the power to tell people how a topic should be discussed. I was just giving my opinion on how it pertains to this site.

You can make it into some larger issue, but I'm not interested in getting into it.

Politics + Sports = Pissing contest.

I've been accused of being "on the left" by just about every trump supporter on this forum. Notice I said trump supporter, not Republicans. They start with their labels and cute names and it takes off from there. Nothing new tho, it was these same posters that got smalltalk shutdown because they dished it out but were incapable of taking it in return. Then they come in threads like this and act innocent.
Thank you for making the distinction. Truly.

I just simply don't care about everyone's opinions of these stories because it will turn political. The discussion was about these stories and this website. I don't have the power to tell people how a topic should be discussed. I was just giving my opinion on how it pertains to this site.

You can make it into some larger issue, but I'm not interested in getting into it.

Fair enough.

The ratings have dropped over the last 10 years primarily because there are so many more sport outlets now. I like ESPN but I prefer Sports South or SEC Network for my local sports. I'm not sure politics has anything to do with it. People say they will boycott things because of their political Views like Nike but that has proven to be false.

Or degrade anyone or anything else for that matter

The ratings have dropped over the last 10 years primarily because there are so many more sport outlets now. I like ESPN but I prefer Sports South or SEC Network for my local sports. I'm not sure politics has anything to do with it. People say they will boycott things because of their political Views like Nike but that has proven to be false.

I believe diluting the field is part of it, but I do think the injection of politics played a part too.

If I remember correctly, in the last couple years ESPN management even said they were going to try to tone it down.

But I personally watch ESPN for the sports, and never watch SC or anything else really.

I believe diluting the field is part of it, but I do think the injection of politics played a part too.

If I remember correctly, in the last couple years ESPN management even said they were going to try to tone it down.

But I personally watch ESPN for the sports, and never watch SC or anything else really.
I hope they tone it down, as with all sports networks. That's may be hard to do with todays climate

What’s your opinion on why ESPN ratings have dropped?
Development of sports tracking apps, more defined networks (acc/sec/nfl, etc) and the fact that sports stopped in March.

I will watch anytime we are playing on espn. But haven't watched sportscenter in years. I can browse social media and see the sc top 10 plays.

I can tell you that on the Message Board of the school where I did my undergrad studies (which is a P5 school) they have several forums for Football, M&WBB, Baseball, recruiting and recently added COIVD-19. So it is possible to segregate topics into different forums.
I don't know if the MODS have to follow guidelines imposed by Rivals to see if that would be an option on this board.

Development of sports tracking apps, more defined networks (acc/sec/nfl, etc) and the fact that sports stopped in March.

I will watch anytime we are playing on espn. But haven't watched sportscenter in years. I can browse social media and see the sc top 10 plays.
Makes sense. But,remember SEC,ACC,BIG 10 are all ESPN

I can tell you that on the Message Board of the school where I did my undergrad studies (which is a P5 school) they have several forums for Football, M&WBB, Baseball, recruiting and recently added COIVD-19. So it is possible to segregate topics into different forums.
I don't know if the MODS have to follow guidelines imposed by Rivals to see if that would be an option on this board.
That would be good, unfortunately, every topic gets turned into political. Several like to try to sneak it into non political topics. Then their troops follow them in.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT