ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any mechanism whereby we can discuss the intersection of politics/current events and sports

I think you so totally fail to get the TRUE gist of what it means, that it's very sad that you are an American Citizen.

Regardless of whether it is products on a hardware store shelf, or whether it is some ideological platform of some politician, the TRUE point of the comparison is simple freedom of speech and/or expression. The very first Right in the Bill of Rights as amendments to the US Constitution. BOTH actions are citizens' attempts to engage that Right.

I'm talking about Constitutional rights of US citizens, and you can only think of hammers and pliers. The educational system in this country has truly gone to the dogs.....

I'll ignore the childish name calling for now, and answer the part you seem to have missed.

In your example, you compare people choosing different stores based on cost or quality of products to people choosing stores based on something that has nothing to do with the products purchased.

You're right in that we have the freedom to choose, but you're way off base trying to claim they both represent "cancel culture".

Reactions: king ward
See there, the quintessential example of the "civil" post. And in answer to a post that is logically irrefutable at that.

Had to chime in again. Your post is too laughable for one response.

Fox News and right wing talk radio parades conservative activists organizations across the screen and airwaves 18 hours a day.

one conservative activist organization just got finished spending almost 250,000 to defeat a South Carolina HOUSE candidate in the general assembly. An unbelievable amount of money. Their campaign was a 2 year effort. They were on the ground, airwaves, street corners waving signs, taking down critical signs, putting up billboards, flooding social media. (They also were not successful).

conservatives are adept at activism. They are EXTREMELY well funded. They have success and failures like anyone else. One such vocal activist was on early morning Fox complaining about the SCOTUS. They also couch themselves in innocent sounding names like “Business forum,” “independent forum,” “Freedom Network,” or “parents in education” so as to not be too obvious. One of the parents education folks walked up into my yard recently as I was cutting grass. For a minute, they thought I was unsuspecting of their identity or motives. The rep learned quickly I was well aware of who they really were.

conservatives also give a lot of money to activist organizations, who then hire professional activists like any other group to do their bidding.

If you had ever worked at the state house, like I did, and saw them roll through every January-June, like clockwork, you’d know better.

Last edited:
I'll ignore the childish name calling for now, and answer the part you seem to have missed.

In your example, you compare people choosing different stores based on cost or quality of products to people choosing stores based on something that has nothing to do with the products purchased.

You're right in that we have the freedom to choose, but you're way off base trying to claim they both represent "cancel culture".
Differentiation is suspended when it isn't convenient.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/trump-calls-for-a-boycott-of-att-to-force-big-changes-at-cnn.html

Would this be cancel culture? Just wondering. If so, I bet you're just seething mad, screaming at the top of your lungs.

I'd call it cancel culture, but I don't think I've ever gotten seething mad or screamed at the top of my lungs about it.

Was this supposed to be a gotcha post? It would be if I was the type of person who only thought one political side was dirty. I think only people who think like that would think this a good gotcha post.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward

Fox News and right wing talk radio parades conservative activists organizations across the screen and airwaves 18 hours a day.

one conservative activist organization just got finished spending almost 250,000 to defeat a South Carolina HOUSE candidate in the general assembly. An unbelievable amount of money. Their campaign was a 2 year effort. They were on the ground, airwaves, street corners waving signs, putting up billboards, flooding social media. (They also were not successful).

conservatives are adept at activism. They have success and failures like anyone else. One such vocal activist was on early morning Fox complaining about the SCOTUS.

conservatives also give a lot of money to activist organizations, who then hire professional activist like any other group to do their bidding.

If you had ever worked at the state house, like I did, and saw them roll through every January-June, like clockwork, you’d know better.
Anyone who can't or won't recognize or acknowledge the difference between traditional political mobilization and machination and what is being conducted now, for which the term "cancel culture" was coined, specifically because it is something new, is not a person with whom reasonable discussion is possible.

You mean all the folks that promised to never buy Nike (including Fox News talking about how Nike products weren’t that good anyway) again after they featured Kaepernick were doing so because they suddenly woke up one day and miraculously hated Nike products?

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Last edited:
Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Anyone who can't or won't recognize or acknowledge the difference between traditional political mobilization and machination and what is being conducted now, for which the term "cancel culture" was coined, specifically because it is something new, is not a person with whom reasonable discussion is possible.

Ok , I got it.

“Traditional political mobilization” - Anything right wingers do.

“Cancel culture” (a term right wingers use to insult those that disagree with them) is bad, bad, bad. (Even though right wingers are neck deep in cancel culture themselves)

We’ve heard that crap before.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, Martin Luther King was repeatedly derided by his opponents for inciting violence.

“Just as we formerly pointed out that "hatred and violence have no sanction in our religious and political traditions," we also point out that such actions as incite to hatred and violence, however technically peaceful those actions may be, have not contributed to the resolution of our local problems. We do not believe that these days of new hope are days when extreme measures are justified in Birmingham… We appeal to both our white and Negro citizenry to observe the principles of law and order and common sense.”

signed by 8 white, conservative, clergymen

Which prompted King's famous response, Letter From a Birmingham Jail

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedgarnet33

I can't think of a person more capable of creating mass machination than the most powerful man on the planet. (not to mention a gross abuse of power) Anyone who disagrees with that is not a person with whom reasonable discussion is possible

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/trump-calls-for-a-boycott-of-att-to-force-big-changes-at-cnn.html

Is not a person with whom reasonable discussion is possible.

i’m on here to make my points. I respond to your posts when I see that you wrote something wrong, or intentionally misleading, or you left out something. Not as a point of discussion.

I think the chances are zero for other reasons. People are asking that speech be restricted by these state schools. They legally can't do that because of the 1st amendment. Protected speech is protected even when you don't like it.

Remind Trump and conservatives of this when he proposes his flag burning ban amendment.

I am starting to get through to my left wing daughter, so there is a bit of hope. I am a Libertarian and she is the product of a very liberal private school and college education. It is ironic to me that her drift toward common sense has come as a result of the current racial tensions and has put her at odds with some of her left wing friends.

Ultimately though, I think it is pointless to discuss politics on a message board like this. It is better to stick to your own political friends and not try to convert others. We have some friends who are Hispanic and do not like Trump because of his immigration policies. When my wife (also an immigrant) stated that she agreed with Trump because she had to go through the legal immigration process to get here, we did not hear from them for a while. Eventually things blew over, now when we get together politics is not discussed and we have a nice time.

For me the key to changing the politics of this country is through the elimination of the PC movement within our public education system. After 12 years of left wing indoctrination in our schools there is little you can do to change a persons politics unless something happens in their lives to wake them up to reality. So it is pointless to argue with them.

Or not. See above response.

It was a good try if I was the type of person who refused to see the wrong in both parties.

Great, so this cancel culture runs across the entire political spectrum. Cancel culture right wingers & cancel culture left wingers. Sort of like good & bad people run across our entire political spectrum. In other words, nothing to see here.

For me the key to changing the politics of this country is through the elimination of the PC movement within our public education system. After 12 years of left wing indoctrination in our schools there is little you can do to change a persons politics unless something happens in their lives to wake them up to reality. So it is pointless to argue with them.

Nah.

younger people are traditionally more liberal and always have been. That’s not because of public education. It’s because young people naturally are more open minded than other people. They see it as a value.

My college age child is MUCH more liberal than I am. I’m ok with that. I want him to think for himself and make his own decisions. They don’t have to be my decisions. He values things differently than I do. That’s ok. He might be right. I don’t know. He has friends that grew up going to private church schools that are just as liberal as he is. One of his most liberal friends was homeschooled by a conservative pastor and his very conservative wife. It works the other way too.

some of those young people will grow more conservative in some ways. Others will be liberal and look at things that way forever. that’s fine.

I saw on twitter this morning where kellyanne conway’s own teen daughter is a big BLack Lives Matter supporter. All 3 of Mitch McConnell’s adult children are Democrats from what I understand, 1 is an activist.

Great, so this cancel culture runs across the entire political spectrum. Cancel culture right wingers & cancel culture left wingers. Sort of like good & bad people run across our entire political spectrum. In other words, nothing to see here.

Or, it's a bad thing no matter who does it. It shouldn't be defended because one side is doing it, or called out because the other side is doing it.

I don't think we should consider something as okay just because everyone is doing it.

I am starting to get through to my left wing daughter, so there is a bit of hope. I am a Libertarian and she is the product of a very liberal private school and college education. It is ironic to me that her drift toward common sense has come as a result of the current racial tensions and has put her at odds with some of her left wing friends.

Ultimately though, I think it is pointless to discuss politics on a message board like this. It is better to stick to your own political friends and not try to convert others. We have some friends who are Hispanic and do not like Trump because of his immigration policies. When my wife (also an immigrant) stated that she agreed with Trump because she had to go through the legal immigration process to get here, we did not hear from them for a while. Eventually things blew over, now when we get together politics is not discussed and we have a nice time.

Well said. I have some friends and family which I can openly and rationally discuss politics. And there are some that I know not to go there at all. Saves me a lot of headache.

On some that I know my mind will not be changed, I've learned to simply state my peace and move on. Less headache there too.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Finally, some common ground.
Yep, the whole topic is just odd now that we agree it's widespread
Or, it's a bad thing no matter who does it. It shouldn't be defended because one side is doing it, or called out because the other side is doing it.

I don't think we should consider something as okay just because everyone is doing it.

Right, any idea who started this who this whole cancel culture topic on here?

Ironically, sports is what started to turn my little lib's ideals toward conservatism. She heard transgender boys were being allowed to compete and dominate women's sports because "Who are we to tell a boy he isn't a girl?". She was never really sporty until she got into club volleyball. Now she's into X Country and loves it. So far, no one has ruined her region be claiming to be a different gender.

I have a good friend whose wife works at a private all-girls high school. He said this last year there were 7 girls who declared they were boys. How does a liberal school deal with this? It's an all-girls school. Now they must tell either the 7 girls to leave or admit boys. My gut tells me it's the latter. Their liberal system of beliefs won't allow them to tell girls they're not actually male just because they changed clothes. Every movement eventually goes too far if there is no resistance.

Last edited:

one conservative activist organization just got finished spending almost 250,000 to defeat a South Carolina HOUSE candidate in the general assembly. An unbelievable amount of money. Their campaign was a 2 year effort. They were on the ground, airwaves, street corners waving signs, taking down critical signs, putting up billboards, flooding social media. (They also were not successful).

conservatives are adept at activism. They are EXTREMELY well funded. They have success and failures like anyone else. One such vocal activist was on early morning Fox complaining about the SCOTUS. They also couch themselves in innocent sounding names like “Business forum,” “independent forum,” “Freedom Network,” or “parents in education” so as to not be too obvious. One of the parents education folks walked up into my yard recently as I was cutting grass. For a minute, they thought I was unsuspecting of their identity or motives. The rep learned quickly I was well aware of who they really were.

conservatives also give a lot of money to activist organizations, who then hire professional activists like any other group to do their bidding.

The rioting and looting by conservatives is even more disgusting. Oh wait....

Ironically, sports is what started to turn my little lib's ideals toward conservatism. She heard transgender boys were being allowed to compete and dominate women's sports because "Who are we to tell a boy he isn't a girl?". She was never really sporty until she got into club volleyball. Now she's into X Country and loves it. So far, no one has ruined her region be claiming to be a different gender.

I have a good friend whose wife works at a private all-girls high school. He said this last year there were 7 girls who declared they were boys. How does a liberal school deal with this? It's an all-girls school. Now they must tell either the girls to leave or admit boys. My gut tells me it's the latter. Their liberal system of beliefs won't allow them to tell girls they're not actually male just because they changed clothes. Every movement eventually goes to far if there is no resistance.

The transgender movements and the women's rights movements are, philosophically, diametrically opposed to one another. Yet, somehow, they've fallen in with each other.

The transgender movements and the women's rights movements are, philosophically, diametrically opposed to one another. Yet, somehow, they've fallen in with each other.
Politics makes for strange bedfellows. If you're going to build a big enough coalition to get one of the two party candidates elected, you have to accept some people into the fold that normally you would not agree with. Same with libertarians (small L), country club Republican's, RINOs, Log Cabin Rs and evangelical Rs. Feminists are figuring this out, to their detriment. Some are fighting back and being labeled bigots. Getting a dose of their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: MowerDave
Yep, the whole topic is just odd now that we agree it's widespread

Right, any idea who started this who this whole cancel culture topic on here?

Is it? I disagreed with Conway because he thought "cancel culture" was the same as buying at a different store who had better prices.

Then you quoted me and countered that the right will try cancel culture just like the left, even though I never said it was one sided.

Posse just jumped on because he thought he caught me being hypocritical, but that fell apart fast enough.

Which school is more likely to teach liberal ideology, CU or USC? (Average of professors?)

Which school is more likely to teach liberal ideology, CU or USC? (Average of professors?)

USC. I know siblings that attended each. They did not come out with the same ideology. Of course, that may also have to do with their course studies, engineering vs teaching.

I have a good friend whose wife works at a private all-girls high school. He said this last year there were 7 girls who declared they were boys. How does a liberal school deal with this? It's an all-girls school. Now they must tell either the 7 girls to leave or admit boys. My gut tells me it's the latter. Their liberal system of beliefs won't allow them to tell girls they're not actually male just because they changed clothes. Every movement eventually goes too far if there is no resistance.
I like to think being liberal is much more than bathrooms and pronouns, but that's not what AM radio wants you to think.

A really fascinating battle to watch is the Lesbians versus the trans men who want to be considered women. There is some real hate between these two groups.

As far as sports go, even if you have the surgery you are still genetically a man and thus have a physical advantage over most women. Hence the men and women play in different leagues for competitive purposes. It is situations like this where I enjoy watching liberal policies fall apart in the face of common sense.

Reactions: MowerDave
Politics makes for strange bedfellows. If you're going to build a big enough coalition to get one of the two party candidates elected, you have to accept some people into the fold that normally you would not agree with. Same with libertarians (small L), country club Republican's, RINOs, Log Cabin Rs and evangelical Rs. Feminists are figuring this out, to their detriment. Some are fighting back and being labeled bigots. Getting a dose of their own.

All true points.

But women's rights and the women libbers have been such a HUGE force. And they've basically just given all that up. All this stuff they fought tooth and nail for and now it's "buuuuuut men can be women too."

Lots of people strongly feel that same way about what a conservative used to be as opposed to now. No similarity at all. Party got completely hi jacked.
I agree. Neither party really has ideals when it matters most. You just have to choose whichever one disgusts you the least or throw your vote away in protest.

But both are moving left and have been for decades. The Rs only get strongly conservative during the primaries.

A really fascinating battle to watch is the Lesbians versus the trans men who want to be considered women. There is some real hate between these two groups.

As far as sports go, even if you have the surgery you are still genetically a man and thus have a physical advantage over most women. Hence the men and women play in different leagues for competitive purposes. It is situations like this where I enjoy watching liberal policies fall apart in the face of common sense.

I'm still waiting for some 280 lb, 7 foot dude decide he/she wants to play women's college basketball.

Reactions: Lurker123
I agree. Neither party really has ideals when it matters most. You just have to choose whichever one disgusts you the least or throw your vote away in protest.

But both are moving left and have been for decades. The Rs only get strongly conservative during the primaries.

Society generally moves left especially socially

not long ago large numbers of republicans were against gay marriage. The opposition is still in the party platform I think. A candidate running on that today wouldn’t make it out of the Republican primary

no democrat would even bring up the idea today.

but fiscally too. The tea party was against deficits and bailouts. The Tea Party fizzled. Republicans have now embraced deficits and bailouts (they always embraced them but not publicly). Today, republicans have silently embraced deficits and debt and no one believes they even care about it anymore. Mick Mulvaney, as a trump’s Chief of Staff, said exactly that.

So cancel culture, created by the left, is only available to the left, and all other speech is canceled.

Right.

But to stay with your basic idea, let's cancel cancel culture. I'm all for that. Right now it's all about protect players, completely ignore the fans. That will change. This hyper political society will wear on Americans.

it is interesting that yours is the first partisan polical post in this thread at the same time you are complaing about our "hyper political society".

ADVERTISEMENT