ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any thing sports related that you believe that

• Not a fan of the NFL overtime rules. College Football does it better.
  • College Basketball officiating has made the game damn near unwatchable.
  • College Baseball should ditch the metal bats. The game is lorded over by the equipment manufacturers like our Congress is lorded over by monied interests. Baseball should be played with wooden bats.
  • Domed stadiums are an abomination. If the Green Bay Packers can play outside, the Atlanta Falcons damn sure can too.

How much time do you have?

(not in order of preference)
1. Lowering a school's academic standards for student-athletes.
2. College basketball beginning in early November instead of after Thanksgiving.
3. Pseudo-team sports such as beach volleyball and equestrian.
4. E-sports.
5. The DH.
6. Walk-up music.
7. DJ's.
8. All-Star Games (MLB ruined it for me the year it declared a tie after "running out of pitchers.")
9. Travel ball.
10. Intentional walks without having to throw four pitches.
11. In-game/sideline interviews.
12. Batters who won't change their hitting approach against a shift.
13. Officials who think fans buy tickets to watch them.
14. Constant tinkering with uniform colors/designs/combinations.
15. Expanded playoffs
16. Title IX (see No. 3).

Give me a little time and I can probably come up with some more. ... and GET OFF MY LAWN!

Last edited:
We play 2001 too often and it isn’t near as awesome as it used to be as a result. 2001 used to be our football entrance. Now it’s also our 3rd / 4th quarter song, and played just about every venue of SC athletics. The later doesn’t bother me near as much as playing it between the 3rd and 4th quarters which is mind boggling to me. That would be like Clemson running back down the hill between quarters. So stupid.

I’d say it’s not unpopular with many sports fans, but there are obviously enough safety geeks out there that targeting exists. It shouldn’t. And if you absolutely have to have it, each player should have 1 warning per game. Why put your best players on defense anymore when they are one play, or even a bad call, away from ejection.

I think we should legalize PED's. I believe a lot of athletes cheat, so why not just make them legal and let everyone cheat in the open.

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
1. Legalize all performance enhancing drugs in professional sports
2. College athletes should be able to major in their given sport if they are just buying time to play professionally. Enough with the “student athlete” charade already. Does anyone really think Zion should have been compelled to take freshman biology?
3. Ray Tanner should go back to coaching baseball.
4. We really need a women’s gymnastics squad. Most of the SEC already does. Trade-in tennis or equestrian, but don’t you dare mess with volleyball.
5. There will always be something special about pissing in a trough at W-B. I hope they never replace them.
6. “Just a Big ole cock” or whatever that song is called that you always hear at tailgates...it kind of sucks. I know I am supposed to like it, but I don’t. I just don’t feel compelled to like something just because it’s got something to do with USC.

Travel ball, you have kids playing baseball in December.
How about all the “juiced” up bats that are so prominent in travel ball. Little Timmy can’t hit the ball to the outfield? No problem. You can buy a $500 bat and all of a sudden little Timmy has warning track power.

Wouldnt be a popular opinion?
Not trying to start an argument but I don't think college baseball should be played in February. I think the season should start in the middle of March not February.
I think this was looked at a number of years ago, and the problem was it would have the CWS being played around the 4th of July which no one wanted.

2. College basketball beginning in early November instead of after Thanksgiving.
4. E-sports.
5. The DH.
6. Walk-up music.
7. DJ's.
8. All-Star Games (MLB ruined it for me the year it declared a tie after "running out of pitchers.")
9. Travel ball.
15. Expanded playoffs

Give me a little time and I can probably come up with some more. ... and GET OFF MY LAWN!

5,9, 14

Reactions: TRUEGARNET
1. College coaches making six or seven figure salaries when their players are supposed to be happy with a 'free' education.
2. Mel Kiper having air time.
3. Fans who think being a fan is some sort of accomplishment.
4. The whole UFC thing. Boxing is an art and science. UFC is barbaric.
5. Alternate jerseys, helmets, etc.
6. Transplants who move south and then complain because we dont have hockey teams.
7. Intentional grounding. It's fine to throw the ball at the ground to kill the clock, but you cant throw it away to keep from getting killed?

I neither care nor pull for Dustin Johnson just because he's a Gamecock fan.
I like (and pull for) DJ, seems like i guy i would have partied with when i was his age.. I dont like the new "Non-Penalty" for a Double hit, nor leaving the flag in on a 18" putt!!.. I am okay with the New "Drop Rule" and fixing spike marks..

4. E-sports.
5. The DH.
6. Walk-up music.
7. DJ's.
9. Travel ball.
15. Expanded playoffs

Re: #12

Don't like these base running gloves that extend the fingers an insane amount. Also these elbow guards that stick out several inches toward the strike zone. I'd get rid of both.

I like (and pull for) DJ, seems like i guy i would have partied with when i was his age.. I dont like the new "Non-Penalty" for a Double hit, nor leaving the flag in on a 18" putt!!.. I am okay with the New "Drop Rule" and fixing spike marks..
The leaving the flag in thing drives me crazy. Followed my daughter in a tournament recently and they are now being taught to leave the flag in on everything. For the first few holes I kept wanted to yell “y’all forgot to take the pin out” before they started putting. Hard to break old habits.

• Not a fan of the NFL overtime rules. College Football does it better.
  • College Basketball officiating has made the game damn near unwatchable.
  • College Baseball should ditch the metal bats. The game is lorded over by the equipment manufacturers like our Congress is lorded over by monied interests. Baseball should be played with wooden bats.
  • Domed stadiums are an abomination. If the Green Bay Packers can play outside, the Atlanta Falcons damn sure can too.

While that would be nice, the majority of the programs would not be able to afford the replacement costs throughout the season. Most of the manufacturers provide the aluminum bats to a program for "free" in exchange for endorsements/use. However, if we were to move to wooden bats, it would probably end up being a cost to the team, especially as they break and need to be replaced.

I hate the one sided nature of football's "half the distance to the goal" penalties. Penalties in that area of the field should be equitable. For example: the offense takes over on their own 6 yard line after a punt. On first down, the left tackle is called for holding. Instead of 10 yards (which would put them deep into the end zone) they get backed up 3 yards. However, if a cornerback had been called for holding the receiver at the line of scrimmage, the defense would be penalized 10 yards. I would like to see only 3 yards in that situation.

I hate the one sided nature of football's "half the distance to the goal" penalties. Penalties in that area of the field should be equitable. For example: the offense takes over on their own 6 yard line after a punt. On first down, the left tackle is called for holding. Instead of 10 yards (which would put them deep into the end zone) they get backed up 3 yards. However, if a cornerback had been called for holding the receiver at the line of scrimmage, the defense would be penalized 10 yards. I would like to see only 3 yards in that situation.
Some guy here had a great idea. In your holding example, the ball gets moved back three yards and the remaining seven gets tacked on the the down. So instead of 1st and 10 at the three it’s 1st and 17 at the three. Makes total sense.

Reactions: bbad95
Outlaw all baseball bats that aren’t wooden.

I agree. But then I kinda wonder what would happen if baseball went to wiffle ball bats. Or those noodles people float on in pools. You get a hit with one of those and you've earned it, buddy.

While that would be nice, the majority of the programs would not be able to afford the replacement costs throughout the season. Most of the manufacturers provide the aluminum bats to a program for "free" in exchange for endorsements/use. However, if we were to move to wooden bats, it would probably end up being a cost to the team, especially as they break and need to be replaced.

"Oct 9, 2016 - The wood bats that the pros use vary in price from manufacturer. Most similar models retail from $80 to $175. It appears that teams get huge bulk discounts though, and an article below suggests teams are paying $45-$60 per bat, or something in that range."
I think they could afford the bats.

[QUOTE="GandBinNC, post: 4524427, member: 13586"
[/QUOTE]

You had me until this one. Domed to me is 10x better. I don’t have to worry about sweating down my crack or freezing my you know what off. I also don’t have to worry about getting wet. It’s just more enjoyable.

Reactions: GandBinNC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT