ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the end of the Frank Martin era??

Still is a head scratcher to me why he'd leave a top program in big 12 to come to USC. It seems kstate fans didn't lose any sleep over him leaving though, which should've been a big red flag to USC fans.

Martin had a very tenuous relationship with our AD and it reached a boiling point. Incorrect that our fans didn't lose sleep thet were very upset by it, just with how it all went down. But prob doesnt touch how upset they are about Underwood getting hired at OSU.

No inconsistency at all. I hope he's here 10 years. I also believe he has to Dance NEXT year. Performance matters. No dissonance, however.

From where Martin came from day 1 to now... no he doesn't have to make the NCAA tourney next year

Me, too. Dance in Five or Don't Survive.

So you would call for the firing of a coach that won 25 games in 2015-2016, if he doesn't make the tourney in 2016-2017

Wow... how we forget how far down this program was before Martin took over...

SC is very, very lucky to have Martin, they better do everything possible to keep him

So you would call for the firing of a coach that won 25 games in 2015-2016, if he doesn't make the tourney in 2016-2017

SC is very, very lucky to have Martin, they better do everything possible to keep him
He'd better do everything possible to keep us. It's time now.

I disagree.

No need to call people names. If you disagree, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But, guess what? So is everyone else.

Frank's done a nice job. Not great, but nice. IMO, Gregg would have and will do better. I don't think Gregg would have missed on the many SC prospects that Frank missed. Gregg wouldn't have gotten all of them m, but IMO he'd have gotten more than Frank.
Sully's post got "liked" by taters. Enough said.

We'd be stupid to let Frank go. But it wouldn't surprise me, USC is famous for doing stupid crap. Our baseball coach has been getting a free pass for years, Frank should get all the free passes he wants in my opinion.
This mindless criticism of the baseball program is starting to look pretty silly and a little out of touch.

This mindless criticism of the baseball program is starting to look pretty silly and a little out of touch.
I actually haven't said much about the baseball program so far this year. I did like the way we played against Arkansas though, AND believe it or not I wasn't one of the ones jumping off the ledge after Clemson took the series from us. Now, with that said, we need to get to Omaha this year or a change needs to be made. We are to college baseball what Bama is to football and what UNC is to basketball (minus the cheating).

I actually haven't said much about the baseball program so far this year. I did like the way we played against Arkansas though, AND believe it or not I wasn't one of the ones jumping off the ledge after Clemson took the series from us. Now, with that said, we need to get to Omaha this year or a change needs to be made. We are to college baseball what Bama is to football and what UNC is to basketball (minus the cheating)

Slow down now, not quite

Well, we WERE, I guess I should say. The wheels have fallen off the past few years.

Because there are many, many more Gamecock fans in Columbia than Tar Heel fans. I can only think of a couple of Tar Heel fans that I'm acquainted with versus hundreds of Gamecock fans.
Many more football fans yes. But Tar Heel basketball is king in the Carolina's. Even our top high school talent if given a choice to sign with the Tar heels or USC they would choose UNC 99 percent of the time.

Reactions: funktavious
FM has .530 winning percentage at SC with a .361% percentage in the conference. He's currently the sixth highest paid coach in the conference and could get a bump in pay that would put him somewhere around three or four. I can't imagine how that's insulting. But if he can parlay his accomplishments at USC into a better job, I guess he should do it.
His teams have gotten better every year and he took a job that was a dumpster fire and turned it into a winning program. I think he'd be a viable candidate for any job that opened up. If we don't keep him we could end up with another Horn.

Many more football fans yes. But Tar Heel basketball is king in the Carolina's. Even our top high school talent if given a choice to sign with the Tar heels or USC they would choose UNC 99 percent of the time.
You are absolutely right. Going to public school in SC I remember all of the kids either being Tar Heel, Duke, or Georgetown fans when it came to basketball.

Reactions: dcdayday
FM got 24 wins with the 73rd most difficult schedule in the country. He got 17 wins last year against the 29th most difficult schedule.

If you're pointing to the great leap this team made and salivating over what Martin's going to do next, you shouldn't be. His team didn't really get any better. They just played a bunch of terrible teams.

FM got 24 wins with the 73rd most difficult schedule in the country. He got 17 wins last year against the 29th most difficult schedule.

If you're pointing to the great leap this team made and salivating over what Martin's going to do next, you shouldn't be. His team didn't really get any better. They just played a bunch of terrible teams.
Take the non-conference schedule out of the equation then. He still won more conference games than he won last year. That's still improvement and that is a team getting better.

Jesus, And it's home court! Yes it's an advantage! God almighty. Your a 1 seed and it's the suck ass NIT! Do you need a new brain?
No new brain needed but we sure could have used those 5 knuckle heads that were not there. That might have made a difference against a fully manned GT.

Take the non-conference schedule out of the equation then. He still won more conference games than he won last year. That's still improvement and that is a team getting better.
Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but is anyone actually saying we need to give Martin the boot? I've see people express disappointment with the way the season end - no surprise given the suspensions and missing the tournament - but I don't see a lot of people calling for his head. I think an extension to 2022 is too long, but I don't think there's any justifiable reason to fire the guy.

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention, but is anyone actually saying we need to give Martin the boot? I've see people express disappointment with the way the season end - no surprise given the suspensions and missing the tournament - but I don't see a lot of people calling for his head. I think an extension to 2022 is too long, but I don't think there's any justifiable reason to fire the guy.

I haven't seen anyone calling for his head (which gives me some hope for this board). I think a lot of people are disappointed, and are unsure if FM is the ultimate answer as the head coach, but he's certainly done nothing to lose his job. The next couple of years will be a real test to see where exactly the program stands (with the departure of the seniors and possibly kicking kids off the team), but he deserves to see it out.

I agree though, no reason to extend to 2022 yet. Give him four years total, so that if things over the next two seasons aren't up to snuff we aren't stuck with a coach because we can't afford the buyout.

I mean, if you count the entire Carolinas, then there are a lot more UNC basketball fans if only because NC has, like, over twice the population of SC. Anyway, here are the bottom lines:

1. Among the top high school players in the Carolinas, UNC and Duke have been the kings for a long time. No doubt about that. I don't know if USC has ever stolen a recruit from UNC or Duke in my entire life.

2. Among snot nosed kids, it's basically a melting pot of fandom. When I was in school, there were tons of UNLV, Georgetown, and, of course, Duke and UNC basketball fans. Although I can't imagine too many kids pulling for UNLV or Georgetown these days, I'm sure there are still plenty of grade schoolers who claim to pull for Duke and UNC. That's probably similar throughout the southeast and mid-Atlantic. This isn't a problem except for when some snot nosed kid is also really good at basketball and is looking at colleges.

3. Among the actual adults that matter (i.e. people who buy tickets, join booster organizations, etc.), there are many, many more USC basketball fans in South Carolina (and Columbia in particular) than any out of state school. Yes, there is a phenomenon in which some adults root for USC in all sports but also adopt UNC, Duke, or UK as "their" basketball team. And yes, when Kentucky comes to town, their fans (most of whom live out of state) buy up tickets and often outnumber USC fans by the end of the game. I'm sure a similar thing would happen if we ever hosted Duke or UNC. But SC is still Gamecock country in terms of sheer number of USC fans. The shadow of UNC, Duke, and UK loom large, though.

Again this is Gamecock Country in Football and baseball. But men's basketball is a different story. If the Tarheels were playing USC at the Colonial Center there would probably be more Tarheel fans in attendance than USC fans.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone calling for his head (which gives me some hope for this board). I think a lot of people are disappointed, and are unsure if FM is the ultimate answer as the head coach, but he's certainly done nothing to lose his job. The next couple of years will be a real test to see where exactly the program stands (with the departure of the seniors and possibly kicking kids off the team), but he deserves to see it out.

I agree though, no reason to extend to 2022 yet. Give him four years total, so that if things over the next two seasons aren't up to snuff we aren't stuck with a coach because we can't afford the buyout.

Has anyone heard if his phone is ringing yet? I mean there are soooo many here claiming how lucky we are to have him and the tourney is down to 16 teams, so if there's a team out there looking for a new coach wouldn't they be calling?
I don't think anyone's calling for FM's head at this stage either. And I don't have any problem with an extension and a small increase. But through 2022, and a half million $? I'd say that's ludicrous. And I hope like hell Tanner isn't increasing his buyout at this point either. He should be happy with a little more pay and confidence from the AD with another year or 2 on his contract. With the situation the team is in now with possibly losing 5 players there's no reason to expect things to get better next season...and maybe another 2 years. But beyond that there should be significant improvement...and by that I'm talking a big dance appearance or better...or it may be time to move on and hope we can get someone new to elevate the program. You can't keep giving a guy (any guy) extra chances to "rebuild". There comes a time when the coach has either proved he can build it or he can not. I just hope when that time comes that Tanner will make it a top priority. It's time we had an AD that wants to get men's basketball to the top of the conference (which shouldn't be that hard in the SEC) and back to where us old timers remember it being at one point in time (OK, I'm not that old...I was just a young kid then...just sayin').
That said, I think you have to commend FM for what he has accomplished this season. Too bad it's gonna take about 3 more seasons to know if he's that guy or not. As someone else posted earlier...3 years is an eternity to some!

Has anyone heard if his phone is ringing yet? I mean there are soooo many here claiming how lucky we are to have him and the tourney is down to 16 teams, so if there's a team out there looking for a new coach wouldn't they be calling?
I don't think anyone's calling for FM's head at this stage either. And I don't have any problem with an extension and a small increase. But through 2022, and a half million $? I'd say that's ludicrous. And I hope like hell Tanner isn't increasing his buyout at this point either. He should be happy with a little more pay and confidence from the AD with another year or 2 on his contract. With the situation the team is in now with possibly losing 5 players there's no reason to expect things to get better next season...and maybe another 2 years. But beyond that there should be significant improvement...and by that I'm talking a big dance appearance or better...or it may be time to move on and hope we can get someone new to elevate the program. You can't keep giving a guy (any guy) extra chances to "rebuild". There comes a time when the coach has either proved he can build it or he can not. I just hope when that time comes that Tanner will make it a top priority. It's time we had an AD that wants to get men's basketball to the top of the conference (which shouldn't be that hard in the SEC) and back to where us old timers remember it being at one point in time (OK, I'm not that old...I was just a young kid then...just sayin').
That said, I think you have to commend FM for what he has accomplished this season. Too bad it's gonna take about 3 more seasons to know if he's that guy or not. As someone else posted earlier...3 years is an eternity to some!
Cincinnati!

Board police alert! You are not entitled to your opinion!
He didn't say you're not entitled to that opinion. He's saying continuing to have it, as all available data shows otherwise, makes you look silly and out of touch, which is true. I'd even add to that closed-minded, but you're certainly welcome to appear that way, if you so choose.

Nice article, but more so about Carrera than FM. Much appreciation and nothing but high hopes for MC in his future. He's a talented player and exciting to watch. Good thing he's got a good head on his shoulders and didn't get rapped up in the mischief...which still blows my mind.

But not much in their about FM other than asking for the season to end before contract talk...which should be expected any way. Why would Tanner approach him for discussions before the season is over?

I don't believe he would/did.

I just hope Tanner makes wise decisions here. He's really under no pressure and there's no reason to over commit.

Again this is Gamecock Country in Football and baseball. But means basketball is different story. If the Tarheels were playing USC at the Colonial Center there would probably be more Tarheel fans in attendance than USC fans.

I mean, when I go out to shop or whatever, I might see a UNC bumper sticker or someone wearing a UNC shirt every once in a while. But I'm just not seeing huge throngs of holes out there to suggest that they're even close to a majority of basketball fans in the state of South Carolina (except maybe Rock Hill or some of the Charlotte suburbs). Our women have a bigger following than UNC basketball does in this state. Anyway, them having more fans in attendance at Colonial Life is theoretical and always will be because they won't put us on their schedule. Methinks it would be similar to Kentucky; anyone with eyes can see that there are more Gamecock fans in the stands at tipoff, but it sometimes feels like there are more UK fans because they usually are louder (because Kentucky usually kicks our butt) and because there are more of them in the stands at the bitter end of the game (because our fans had seen enough).

Ah, the program building discussion... This isn't the 80s. You either have the legit recruiting connections or you don't. Martin sold himself as a guy who could recruit Florida and the Northeast. Hasn't quite shown it.

Maybe the real question is, can he develop players? Carrera improved a great deal. Has Thronwell? Notice? And what of Frank Martin game day coach? That last possession in the most important game of the year was quite telling.
Great points.

We have had just a few good basketball coaches in the last 50 years. The SEC is not a very strong basketball conference which is OK. To get into the rankings and the big dance, a mediocre SEC team must have a good out of conference schedule. Our OOC schedule was horrendous. The ACC and other teams get favorite treatment but we did not deserve to be an at large pick. Frank has the worst court side personality of any coach in our history and I have been there since the 60's.
I would not want to hang out with him even if he were buying the beer. I would be happy if Cincinnati or any other school hired him and we could get a fresh start with someone else.

Martin has to find 2 great shooters and 1 must be a point guard. He has yet to find the qb of the team. I dont care if hes 5/5 he has to find a great ball passing ball handling ball shooting point guard or hes done.

3 key starters gone next year. 2-5 additional players will be kicked off team. Program regressed about three years in the matter of a week. Will Frank want to start the rebuilding process all over again at a school where even when it's been built it doesn't have enough national respect as a 25 win top 3 SEC school to even make the ncaa tourney. I think he sees the writing on the wall. Pitt would be a perfect fit for his tough brawling style.

I thank him for his effort but wouldn't blame him one bit for moving on.
I wish fans like you would move on.

Overall stupidity in this thread is astounding.

Frank Martin inherited a gigantic turd laid by Horn. In 4 years, he's polished it to 25 wins. I'm very happy with him. Hope he's here a decade.
Fully agree. Why start such a nonsense post when there has been nothing to indicate any of this nonsense will occur. Pot stirrer big time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT