ADVERTISEMENT

It’s inevitable...ClemTech will eventually join SEC

I used to worry about this but it hasn’t helped us. We might as well let them in and hope they struggle to win as often.

We should have let them in before they built up all this momentum.

Reactions: Elgringo
To be fair, there’s already 14 SEC teams. Adding 2 more, there really isn’t any such thing as an “SEC” anymore. It’s just a bland mega conference. So who would even care if Climpsun joined at that point? Between this and paying college athletes, college athletics is pretty well done. I’m sure it will still exist in some form as minor leagues for the professional leagues, but I believe the days of 80k-100k diehard fans showing up to stadiums to support “their school” aren’t long for this world.

They w

They said similar things about Maryland not being able to leave. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Everything is negotiable.
Maryland hadn't actually signed the Grant of Rights. There were bylaws with a big penalty for leaving, but just a naked contractual promise. The Grant of Rights is 1,000 times stronger as you don't own your own TV broadcasting rights, third party TV broadcasters do.

To be fair, there’s already 14 SEC teams. Adding 2 more, there really isn’t any such thing as an “SEC” anymore. It’s just a bland mega conference. So who would even care if Climpsun joined at that point? Between this and paying college athletes, college athletics is pretty well done...
So true. If I were you I wouldn't watch anymore.

Too much smoke about the SEC 20 team mega conference to ignore, just a matter of time before ClemTech gets in the boat.

OU and Texas just the start boys.
I think that would be the end of Clemson winning championships then. Too much competition in the west for them to go unbeaten every year. Plus they'd have to beat Alabama in the SEC championship

Please stop . Notre Dame will be in the BIG 10
I wouldn’t count my chickens. The ACC just hired a commissioner that has ND ties. They have been inching that way for a while. Every sport but hockey and football play in the ACC.

To be fair, there’s already 14 SEC teams. Adding 2 more, there really isn’t any such thing as an “SEC” anymore. It’s just a bland mega conference. So who would even care if Climpsun joined at that point? Between this and paying college athletes, college athletics is pretty well done. I’m sure it will still exist in some form as minor leagues for the professional leagues, but I believe the days of 80k-100k diehard fans showing up to stadiums to support “their school” aren’t long for this world.
This. It is inevitable that they will join whatever it is they join. But as you said, by then it’s not the SEC as we know it because there want really be a superior conference…it’ll just be the mega conferences. Sure the one in the Southeast will likely dominate, but it won’t be as hotly debated nor will anyone really care. I mean, it’s close to that now with Texas and OU. It won’t be 16 long if it ever is 16. I don’t think the ACC agreements will even hold up but I’m not an attorney. I’d say the ACC, itself, will violate it to try and expand to keep pace in an effort to survive. Once that happens, it’s game on and a matter as to where everyone falls. Clemson doesn’t bring anything to the footprint of the SEC, that’s the only way it wouldn’t happen…and thats only the case if the ACC expands and is able to keep up.

Is any legitimate sports media reporting this? (NOT talking heads on sports shows.)

The Houston Chronicle first reported the UT/OU move to the SEC, which proved to be true. So is there a similar respected outlet saying this that I've missed? Or is this just hysteria?

No. No real reports, just (dubious) speculation.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Is any legitimate sports media reporting this? (NOT talking heads on sports shows.)

The Houston Chronicle first reported the UT/OU move to the SEC, which proved to be true. So is there a similar respected outlet saying this that I've missed? Or is this just hysteria?
LC, I believe you answered your own question. :cool:

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Maryland hadn't actually signed the Grant of Rights. There were bylaws with a big penalty for leaving, but just a naked contractual promise. The Grant of Rights is 1,000 times stronger as you don't own your own TV broadcasting rights, third party TV broadcasters do.
You realize of course that the majority of those rights are owned by ESPN. Who also owns the majority (all starting in 2024) of the SEC rights.

ESPN is more than welcome to sue the shit out of itself. But, I just don't see that happening.

Whatever would be owed to the ACC if Clemson and/or FSU (or anyone else for that matter) do leave could be paid by the school, ESPN and/or the SEC.

You realize of course that the majority of those rights are owned by ESPN. Who also owns the majority (all starting in 2024) of the SEC rights.

ESPN is more than welcome to sue the shit out of itself. But, I just don't see that happening.

Whatever would be owed to the ACC if Clemson and/or FSU (or anyone else for that matter) do leave could be paid by the school, ESPN and/or the SEC.
I doubt the SEC would pay squat to get someone out of a conference. We have the best conference. We don't need them

Reactions: cpvniii
I doubt the SEC would pay squat to get someone out of a conference. We have the best conference. We don't need them

The SEC got $300 million/Year just for the Saturday 3:30 game. That's almost an extra $250 million per year. Greg Sankey wants to move away from the NCAA. It will probably take more than 16 teams to do that.

I'm going along with your thoughts on the "SEC". Add 2 or more teams and one is only deluding themselves into thinking it's still the SEC. At that point it is a super conference and the only resemblance to what we know now will be the namesake only. Don't be surprised that sooner than later some of the traditional rivalries will barely exist and schedules will be made based on marquee matchups.
Keeping adding teams and at some point it would not be unreasonable to fathom someone upstairs decides "some of the non performing may need to be trimmed off or replaced"

Maryland litigated the ACC, and buyout was reduced.
True, but it wasn't the Grant of Rights that was litigated. Maryland never signed that, it just litigated the step withdrawal penalty they had agreed to. That was reduced, as all the ACC had was a naked contractual promise from Maryland and probably couldn't show much in damages. The Grant of Rights is where you no longer own the rights to broadcast your own games, it is sold to a third party. A much stronger position.

Reactions: Lakecock1
And why would they give up there automatic bid to the playoffs every year? Winning the ACC is pretty much automatic...

Clemson is more than welcome to join, as far as I’m concerned. Come on over, brother.

They w

They said similar things about Maryland not being able to leave. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Everything is negotiable.

ACC settled that Maryland case for $30 million +, but ACC drew a harder line on the $50 million exit fee. So I don't think we see Clemson in the SEC because they add too few TV eyeballs and they aren't bringing an Oklahoma with them.

UT is a whole other story as it relates to the so called "gentleman's agreement" between UGA, KY, UF & USC. Texas has 30 million people with a large percentage of them Longhorn fans. And aTm has been told to "deal with it". JMO

Reactions: rogue cock
I wouldn’t count my chickens. The ACC just hired a commissioner that has ND ties. They have been inching that way for a while. Every sport but hockey and football play in the ACC.
Believe they were the only conference that would accept them as a partial member in all those sports and allow them to share in the revenues. Ice hockey is a non-revenue sport and very few schools participate in it.

If they have to tie their football futures to a conference, not sure UND would make the same decision....that is the sport that UND has a ton of value.

Last edited:
Imo if the SEC is going to give up a share of their money, then it would have to be to someone who will at least increase our market that much. Clemson is a strong football school and they do fit in the football passion category but would they extend the SEC reach?

IMO UNC and VaTech would give us 2 more states, UNC runs the ACC so they aren't coming. VaTech might want to.

Im curious if Kansas tries to get into the big 10 or SEC

Imo if the SEC is going to give up a share of their money, then it would have to be to someone who will at least increase our market that much. Clemson is a strong football school and they do fit in the football passion category but would they extend the SEC reach?

IMO UNC and VaTech would give us 2 more states, UNC runs the ACC so they aren't coming. VaTech might want to.

Im curious if Kansas tries to get into the big 10 or SEC
Bucknuts is reporting that KS has already floated their name to the B1G and has been turned down.

If Clemson and/or FSU leave the ACC……. It’s going to be a seriously boring conference. Even worse then the Big12 without TX and Oklahoma!!!
If it gets to that point the SEC would literally be College Football.

I agree, the top teams will continue to fill stadiums but the others will continue in a downward spiral. Paying the athletes is going to cause huge problems all around, that and other changes have about ended my desire to continue supporting

If Clemson and/or FSU leave the ACC……. It’s going to be a seriously boring conference. Even worse then the Big12 without TX and Oklahoma!!!
If it gets to that point the SEC would literally be College Football.
It's already boring, FSU is a terrible football team, Miami is better than them. Clemson is it in the ACC. I just looked at their 2021 schedule, embarrassing. After their UGA opener I don't imagine there is another ranked team on there. Shoe-in for the playoffs again, win or lose against UGA. No way Clemson leaves the ACC, why would they cut their own throats?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT