ADVERTISEMENT

It’s inevitable...ClemTech will eventually join SEC

Whatever this becomes. Please Lord let Clemson be the one who somehow gets left off the elevator.
It’s really the only hope I still hold for CFB at this point.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Whatever this becomes. Please Lord let Clemson be the one who somehow gets left off the elevator.
It’s really the only hope I still hold for CFB at this point.
SEC doesn't need Clemson. Let them wither away along with the grapevine drinkers on Tobacco Road. No reason to throw them a lifeline.

Clemson brings nothing to the table. Yes, they have a great football program (there’s several great programs in the SEC already) right now. Men’s Soccer (SEC doesn’t sponsor Men’s Soccer). That’s about it! They won’t bring new markets, and will just be taking a piece of the pie.

Reactions: caughtlookin
That wouldn't be the intent. If UPC can't enhance the league in some way, they won't be invited.
I agree. I'm not sure what they would bring that's unique to them.

I don't know how I'd feel about them in the SEC. I don't believe it would enhance their recruiting. Their recruiting is already enhanced because they are the top dog in a basketball conference and, thus, have an easy road to the playoffs. They lose that easy road if they are in the SEC. Thus, Clemson in the SEC is a "wash" from a recruiting standpoint. Clemson in the SEC won't make the playoffs as much as they do in the ACC.

Would South Carolina support a Clemson effort to get into the SEC? Would the University of Florida support Florida State trying to get into the SEC? Just from what I've heard, the boyz in Gainesville would tell FSU to fk off. But, I sense that the boyz in Columbia and Clemson have a closer and better relationship. But, that's just speculation on my part.

From what I understand, TV monies distribution to ACC schools is $29 million annually. Texas and Oklahoma will boost SEC payouts to $75-80 million annually per school. That would be a HUGE difference. I'd be surprised if there are not some sleepless nights in Clemson and Tallahassee.

I agree. I'm not sure what they would bring that's unique to them.

I don't know how I'd feel about them in the SEC. I don't believe it would enhance their recruiting. Their recruiting is already enhanced because they are the top dog in a basketball conference and, thus, have an easy road to the playoffs. They lose that easy road if they are in the SEC. Thus, Clemson in the SEC is a "wash" from a recruiting standpoint. Clemson in the SEC won't make the playoffs as much as they do in the ACC.

Would South Carolina support a Clemson effort to get into the SEC? Would the University of Florida support Florida State trying to get into the SEC? Just from what I've heard, the boyz in Gainesville would tell FSU to fk off. But, I sense that the boyz in Columbia and Clemson have a closer and better relationship. But, that's just speculation on my part.

From what I understand, TV monies distribution to ACC schools is $29 million annually. Texas and Oklahoma will boost SEC payouts to $75-80 million annually per school. That would be a HUGE difference. I'd be surprised if there are not some sleepless nights in Clemson and Tallahassee.
I think the idea of adding these upper athletic tier ACC schools would concentrate too many schools on this side of the conference.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Bucknuts is reporting that KS has already floated their name to the B1G and has been turned down.
Haven't been over there in a few days. But that is surprising. Has the B1G AD even said a word about all this? The big issue the Big Ten has is that it is simply not an athletic decision...unless are completely dropping their requirements for the first time.

Haven't been over there in a few days. But that is surprising. Has the B1G AD even said a word about all this? The big issue the Big Ten has is that it is simply not an athletic decision...unless are completely dropping their requirements for the first time.
The Big 10 is in great shape financially and will probably remain so. They have no need to be anything but picky.

I think the idea of adding these upper athletic tier ACC schools would concentrate too many schools on this side of the conference.
I’m not sure that I agree. Both FSU and Clemson have well recognized football brands. FSU is in Florida which has apx. 18 million people. Clemson is in SC which has 5 million. If you were going to add one of them, it might be FSU.

Imo the SEC would like to add NC and Virginia/DC markets

I’m not sure that I agree. Both FSU and Clemson have well recognized football brands. FSU is in Florida which has apx. 18 million people. Clemson is in SC which has 5 million. If you were going to add one of them, it might be FSU.

Imo the SEC would like to add NC and Virginia/DC markets
I guess we'll see.

ACC settled that Maryland case for $30 million +, but ACC drew a harder line on the $50 million exit fee. So I don't think we see Clemson in the SEC because they add too few TV eyeballs and they aren't bringing an Oklahoma with them.

UT is a whole other story as it relates to the so called "gentleman's agreement" between UGA, KY, UF & USC. Texas has 30 million people with a large percentage of them Longhorn fans. And aTm has been told to "deal with it". JMO
Clemson has been in the most watched games of each season for the last 5 years, but they bring no eyes?

Clemson has been in the most watched games of each season for the last 5 years, but they bring no eyes?

Not enough value to the small state of SC and that's what they are looking for. Believe it ir not,, we still have a hell of a following.. New states and expansion is the driver. If they expand, North Carolina makes more sense.

Not enough value to the small state of SC and that's what they are looking for. Believe it ir not,, we still have a hell of a following.. New states and expansion is the driver. If they expand, North Carolina makes more sense.
Is it though? I've heard fans mention footprint and TV markets because the last time that was the driving factor....but I have yet to hear Sankey or any other Conference commissioner mention that as a reason on this go-round.

This expansion (at least by the SEC) seems to be more about brand. We already have all the TVs in Texas due to having TAMU...so no added value in footprint by adding Texas....but it is a HUGE brand, as is Oklahoma.

They could care less about a schools location if that school has a national audience and a national “brand.” Think anyone cares about the Indiana market? Not really, but advertisers sure care about Notre Dame.

Now that there are only 10 teams in the Big 12, do they get to send a conference winner to the playoff without a championship game? That's a decent advantage since two of the best teams just left. It's the same advantage Notre Dame has every year.

Too much smoke about the SEC 20 team mega conference to ignore, just a matter of time before ClemTech gets in the boat.

OU and Texas just the start boys.
If you noticed who liked your comments. It shows a bunch of 'hope' of what they want instead of what might be reality.

I'm not saying Clempson might not end up in the SEC... but I guarantee you despite what they want you to believe; it's not high in priority unless they are going to take 2-4 current members of the ACC.
I can't see how Clempson makes it over until we start getting some teams in from NC and VA.

They could care less about a schools location if that school has a national audience and a national “brand.” Think anyone cares about the Indiana market? Not really, but advertisers sure care about Notre Dame.

Okay. We'll see, won't we? I don't believe they get in and while aTm couldn't stop UT, I'm not convinced that UF, KY, UGA & KY still don't uphold their gentlemen's agreement. But who knows?

Reactions: The Doctors Back
Now that there are only 10 teams in the Big 12, do they get to send a conference winner to the playoff without a championship game? That's a decent advantage since two of the best teams just left. It's the same advantage Notre Dame has every year.
Actually there were only 10 team before UT and OU left. Now there's only eight. I'll be surprised if the Big XII (-4) doesn't go the way of the dinosaurs.

Reactions: TheReelEss
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT