ADVERTISEMENT

It was dumb not to train Pharoh Cooper at QB and this is why

Uncreation

Jan 3, 2006
Not because he would play QB full time.

Because the reality is if he was reasonably proficient at running QB-1 then if you put him and Nunez on the field you have created an unstoppable combination on the field.

Both could throw. Both could run.

Would be like having 2 QBs on the field.

Awesome to think about.

Because the reality is if he was reasonably proficient at running QB-1 then if you put him and Nunez on the field you have created an unstoppable combination on the field.

Awesome to think about.

I'll admit, this idea intrigues me. If both were in the game at the same time, either of them could take the snap, run, hand off or throw, but I thought what if we ran that speed sweep/pop-up pass/pitch/handoff (or whatever you call it), either of them could take the snap, fake the handoff to the sweep guy, keep it themselves, and either run it or pass downfield. You could also give it to the sweep guy who has the option to run it, or pass downfield, or throw it back to the other QB with the same option to run or pass. Maybe that's living too dangerously, but you wouldn't have to throw back but once or twice in a game to keep the D spread out. Back in Bobby Bowden's glory days, he used to run a reverse several times a game, just to make the D have to defend the whole field the whole game. If they didn't, the D got burned pretty bad.

I have a feeling they'll both be on the field together tomorrow. Nunez will run the read option tomorrow night. I think he will attempt a few passes out of the read option formation also. Like an exaggerated play action pass play. Line up in shotgun formation, put the ball in the RB's belly, pull it back if the DE crashes down, fake the run, and complete a pass. Cooper completed a pass to Wilds vs. Clemson in 2013 exactly like this.

Last edited:
Since Pharoh Cooper can already play QB, I'm confused about who is "dumb" for not training him.

Awesome to think about.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I am confused.. I was under the impression Cooper had taken snaps at QB EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE, in almost EVERY GAME HE PLAYED IN! How much training at the QB position would need to get exactly for "it" not to be "dumb"?

He currently is our most experienced QB on the roster... He is also our best WR by far, best return guy and you could argue he is one of our best RBs as well... If he could block a 290 LB DL, he could play the rest of the offensive positions as well! Maybe it was "dumb" we didn't force him to gain about 70 Lbs so he could fill in at TE, FB and OT when we need him to.

Reactions: GCMD2 and usc1855

Awesome to think about.

"unstoppable" ? must be hammer time:)

Awesome to think about.

Well, it's hard to argue with you, as you seem to know dumb pretty well...

Awesome to think about.
time to put down the xbox

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
If we are doing the what ifs I bet the Jawja defensive coaches are doing the same which makes this theory relevant.

I have no idea where some of you get these ideas. "Hey, it's that easy! Let's run the triple option. Let's "cross-train" our athletic QB. Let's throw to the tight end more"

Have any of you guys watched Ohio state?

When I say train at QB i mean train at QB not just limited package.

Those two on the field cross trained at each position would give the defense fits

I am disappointed at the personal attacks. Mods obviously asleep at the wheel

Have any of you guys watched Ohio state?

When I say train at QB i mean train at QB not just limited package.

Those two on the field cross trained at each position would give the defense fits

I am disappointed at the personal attacks. Mods obviously asleep at the wheel

I see where you're going, but keep in mind that Braxton Miller was a THREE year starter at quarterback. OSU's situation is not comparable to ours.

I see where you're going, but keep in mind that Braxton Miller was a THREE year starter at quarterback. OSU's situation is not comparable to ours.
I think the concept should be the same. Put two legit dual threat guys on the field at the same time. That would have the potential to create some major mismatches. It is comparable. Cooper is a three year starter. I dont see your point.

I think the concept should be the same. Put two legit dual threat guys on the field at the same time. That would have the potential to create some major mismatches. It is comparable. Cooper is a three year starter. I dont see your point.

First off, Cooper is not a 3 year starter. Secondly, he's never started at quarterback. Third, Nunez is a true freshman who has barely played. You're comparing apples and oranges.

im trying to figure out why he doesnt get more touches than he does....hes the best player on the team and he only touched the ball around 12 times last game i believe......i only remember him lining up in the wildcat maybe 1 time...he needs to get the ball in his hands more

First off, Cooper is not a 3 year starter. Secondly, he's never started at quarterback. Third, Nunez is a true freshman who has barely played. You're comparing apples and oranges.

this is pharoh's 3rd year in the program, yes - its not an exact replica of ohio state, but the concept would be the same IF they gave Cooper some more QB training AND Nunez got WR training

sometimes you have to think outside the box

did the offense the first 2 games meet your expectations? why are you averse to putting the best athletes on the field at the same time?

did the offense the first 2 games meet your expectations? why are you averse to putting the best athletes on the field at the same time?

Not at all. I was one of the lone posters last year who advocated moving Pharoh to QB full time. But it had to happen last spring. It's a little late now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nunez at quarterback. However, is Georgia really the place to throw him into the fire?

I think the concept should be the same. Put two legit dual threat guys on the field at the same time. That would have the potential to create some major mismatches. It is comparable. Cooper is a three year starter. I dont
this is pharoh's 3rd year in the program, yes - its not an exact replica of ohio state, but the concept would be the same IF they gave Cooper some more QB training AND Nunez got WR training

sometimes you have to think outside the box

Why not just give all of the QB training to Nunez? QB is his natural position. To train Cooper more at QB would take reps away from other QB'S. Nunez at QB and Cooper at WR would accomplish exactly what you suggest, put the best playmaker on the field together.

Reactions: DarkCock
Why not just give all of the QB training to Nunez? QB is his natural position. To train Cooper more at QB would take reps away from other QB'S. Nunez at QB and Cooper at WR would accomplish exactly what you suggest, put the best playmaker on the field together.
I think we agree. I am saying get those two on the field. Nunez is obviously the primary QB and copper the primary WR

However train them both so you could reverse roles in spot situations. That would mess the defense up.

Cooper could have trained during the summer as QB. Would have also helped Nunez development because those two get along well.

Reactions: BigTomE
Un creation definitely fits your thinking; at least you pick the right name for yourself.o_O
I think we agree. I am saying get those two on the field. Nunez is obviously the primary QB and copper the primary WR

However train them both so you could reverse roles in spot situations. That would mess the defense up.

Cooper could have trained during the summer as QB. Would have also helped Nunez development because those two get along well.
We don't have any idea how Nunez would do at WR! The guy never played the position in high school, and Pharoh is much better in space than running out of the wildcat or the QB position. he opens up the field so the other guys can make plays, the defense can't focus several guys on him like they do when he's in the backfield.

I am confused.. I was under the impression Cooper had taken snaps at QB EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE, in almost EVERY GAME HE PLAYED IN! How much training at the QB position would need to get exactly for "it" not to be "dumb"?

He currently is our most experienced QB on the roster... He is also our best WR by far, best return guy and you could argue he is one of our best RBs as well... If he could block a 290 LB DL, he could play the rest of the offensive positions as well! Maybe it was "dumb" we didn't force him to gain about 70 Lbs so he could fill in at TE, FB and OT when we need him to.

Ellington was still taking the majority of wildcat snaps Cooper's Freshman season. I think Cooper may have taken a few at the end of the year, but not many. Cooper only caught a handful of passes his Freshman season, maybe 3? He really had a breakout year last season.

I follow a little more clearly now. Actually, I really like the idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT