ADVERTISEMENT

"It's a very difficult task to hit a baseball"?

jimnasium

Jun 21, 2001
Bladenboro, NC
Did I really read that in the interview? That's all he's got, that it's difficult to hit a baseball? Are we down to those type of excuses now? The fans are mean so we can't hit? So these kids got D1 offers because they couldn't hit a baseball? Yes, it's hard coach but apparently they were hitting it pretty well before, is it the pitching now that makes it harder or simply a lack of confidence? Look, I'm a Gamecock through and through and hope we snap out of it and win the CWS but Chad needs to cut back on his interviews. It's hard to walk on a high wire too but people do it because they want to. It is really hard to hit when you swing like you're trying to dig a well instead of hitting the ball. Hard ground ball and line drives win games and the only way to get out of a slump is HIT your way out not by telling your players how much you understand how hard it is to hit a baseball. Don't make me come down there Chad.

Did I really read that in the interview? That's all he's got, that it's difficult to hit a baseball? Are we down to those type of excuses now? The fans are mean so we can't hit? So these kids got D1 offers because they couldn't hit a baseball? Yes, it's hard coach but apparently they were hitting it pretty well before, is it the pitching now that makes it harder or simply a lack of confidence? Look, I'm a Gamecock through and through and hope we snap out of it and win the CWS but Chad needs to cut back on his interviews. It's hard to walk on a high wire too but people do it because they want to. It is really hard to hit when you swing like you're trying to dig a well instead of hitting the ball. Hard ground ball and line drives win games and the only way to get out of a slump is HIT your way out not by telling your players how much you understand how hard it is to hit a baseball. Don't make me come down there Chad.

Seems to be especially hard for OUR guys to hit the ball (and has been for several years now leaving record numbers of baserunners stranded), but other teams have been coming through much more regularly with timely hits it seems! Must not be as hard for them to "hit a baseball"!

We have far too many 2 out singles and far too few singles when runners are aboard. Line drives...hard ground balls...don't hit for the ohhhh and ahhhh of the crowd with home run derby swings. The homers will come.

Or runners in scoring position with less than 1 out and end up scoring 1 or no runs...

That quote...following the one complaining about the fans yelling at the players? Wow, just wow. For a coach to say those things, I'm flabbergasted.

I had a coach who would have told us "If you want to shut them up, do something!" And after we started playing better, would've given credit to the fans for "encouraging" us. He could be an asshole, but he could teach and he wasn't going to mollycoddle you.

Reactions: bucketdad
Baseball is a sport where you can fail 7 out of 10 times and still make the HOF.
Even I could hit a baseball 3 times out of 10.

Let me read your post again...you're right you can fail 7 out of 10 times and still make the HOF.
..and then you say you can hit a baseball 3 times out of 10

,,,,when did they change the rules to say you got a hit when you "hit" the baseball

Let me read your post again...you're right you can fail 7 out of 10 times and still make the HOF.
..and then you say you can hit a baseball 3 times out of 10

,,,,when did they change the rules to say you got a hit when you "hit" the baseball
We'd still be struggling.

Baseball is a sport where you can fail 7 out of 10 times and still make the HOF.
Even I could hit a baseball 3 times out of 10.
I'd bet everything I own you could not hit three 90+MPH fastballs out of 10 even if someone showed you right where they were going. Sounds easy enough but it is not..

Hitting a moving round ball with a round bat IS the hardest thing to do in all of sports. He is right.... Doesn't feel good having your coach tell people that when the team is struggling but it is the truth. The problem is I don't see much being done to spark them out of their slump! Rally sticks/caps/ dances/chants... some sort of leadership from upperclassmen, hiring a new hitting coach to replace the one who left.. SOMETHING!! Anything that resembled a plan would be encouraging... whether true or not, that statement sounds like he is just tossing his hands up and saying "well life sucks, nothing I can do about it"!

I'd bet everything I own you could not hit three 90+MPH fastballs out of 10 even if someone showed you right where they were going. Sounds easy enough but it is not..

Hitting a moving round ball with a round bat IS the hardest thing to do in all of sports. He is right.... Doesn't feel good having your coach tell people that when the team is struggling but it is the truth. The problem is I don't see much being done to spark them out of their slump! Rally sticks/caps/ dances/chants... some sort of leadership from upperclassmen, hiring a new hitting coach to replace the one who left.. SOMETHING!! Anything that resembled a plan would be encouraging... whether true or not, that statement sounds like he is just tossing his hands up and saying "well life sucks, nothing I can do about it"!

Hitting a moving round ball with a round bat IS NOT the hardest thing to do in sports! It might be the hardest for this team when they're swinging from the heels instead of contact hitting. What we tend to forget is that baseball players (college or MLB) are not the best athletes compared to NBA basketball or NFL football players. Why? Because baseball is a very slow, boring game to play or watch and great athletes usually have had enough by their mid-teens, choosing to play action sports instead of getting 3-4 at bats per 3.5 hour game and 2 to 3 fielding chances for position players. That's the main reason black kids are continuing to bail out on baseball at every level. I totally agree with you on hiring a really good, paid hitting coach because this team is not being coached on hitting fundamentals.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Hitting a moving round ball with a round bat IS NOT the hardest thing to do in sports! It might be the hardest for this team when they're swinging from the heels instead of contact hitting. What we tend to forget is that baseball players (college or MLB) are not the best athletes compared to NBA basketball or NFL football players. Why? Because baseball is a very slow, boring game to play or watch and great athletes usually have had enough by their mid-teens, choosing to play action sports instead of getting 3-4 at bats per 3.5 hour game and 2 to 3 fielding chances for position players. That's the main reason black kids are continuing to bail out on baseball at every level. I totally agree with you on hiring a really good, paid hitting coach because this team is not being coached on hitting fundamentals.
DEFENSE is our mantra. Disappointed in our plate approach. Our kid's head's are swimming.

Chad sounds more and more like an idiot with each passing game. Said something to the effect of "whoever generates the most offense is going to win this game" during the live game interview on ESPNU.

Last edited:
Funny you never heard that statement when we had Bradley, Smoak, walker, and numerous other great hitters...we don't have those caliber players now.

[/B]I'd bet everything I own you could not hit three 90+MPH fastballs out of 10 even if someone showed you right where they were going. Sounds easy enough but it is not..

This

I'd bet there are a lot of people in this thread that couldn't catch a 90 mph ball from 60 ft.
I could. But only if I closed my eyes and the pitcher hit me directly in the pocket of the glove. I would then let out a (hopefully) muffled cry of pain and go looking for a tub of ice for my battered right hand.

Some of you people need to look up the definition of hyperbole.
Isn't that kind of like a three dimension parabola?

Actually I know what hyperbole is. I find that irony, hyperbole, and other such devices don't necessarily translate well on this board.

I could. But only if I closed my eyes and the pitcher hit me directly in the pocket of the glove. I would then let out a (hopefully) muffled cry of pain and go looking for a tub of ice for my battered right hand.
My high school coach moved practice indoors to the basketball gym one year because of the weather. I was catching a guy that threw in the upper 80's who was standing in front of a white wall. We had a portable pitching mound and he was just getting his weekly throws in. It was a rough, scary practice.

A 92 mph fastball has a reaction time of about .40 seconds. I think anyone can learn how to hit one in a short amount of time. It's in conjunction with other pitches that pose the problem. My name "bucketdad" is a reference to spending nearly 20 years sitting on a bucket calling pitching and most notability catching them. Thousands of them from kids who went on to pitch in college. The only injury I have ever suffered in that 20 years is a lost toenail or two every six months or so. I hate balls in the dirt. lol

Reactions: rogue cock
A 92 mph fastball has a reaction time of about .40 seconds. I think anyone can learn how to hit one in a short amount of time. It's in conjunction with other pitches that pose the problem. My name "bucketdad" is a reference to spending nearly 20 years sitting on a bucket calling pitching and most notability catching them. Thousands of them from kids who went on to pitch in college. The only injury I have ever suffered in that 20 years is a lost toenail or two every six months or so. I hate balls in the dirt. lol

Get a stick and kill it, Yogi... :p

Reactions: bucketdad
Man toenails take a long time to come back. Then boom. There goes another one. Sometimes a ball just gets through. Thought about steel toes, but was worried about a ricochet to the jaw. ;)

I remember once yogi called for a pitch out and the pitcher either forgot the sign or ignored it..

Let's just say that pitch was a beautiful pitch down the middle and you can see Blue's eye get big...:D

I remember once yogi called for a pitch out and the pitcher either forgot the sign or ignored it..

Let's just say that pitch was a beautiful pitch down the middle and you can see Blue's eye get big...:D
Catching Blue off guard and guessing is a beautiful thing. Funny how those things are remembered. :D

You really are all over the place... hitting a round ball traveling at 90+ mph, even hitting a curve, slider or numerous other pitches from 60.6 feet with a round bat IS the hardest thing to do.

Nobody said baseball players were more athletic than NBA players or some football players.
Hitting a baseball requires no ability to run, jump, ability to juke a player, catch a ball over the middle.

Hitting a baseball requires extra ordinary hand/eye coordination ....If you have been in the batters box ( like I have) you'd understand why hitting a baseball IS the hardest thing to do in sports. and by the way....... even if you hit the ball you have to get a hit to stay on the team...you don't get credit for just hitting the ball

If a baseball player got a base hit 3 out of 10 times he'd be in the HOF

If a QB or WR completed or caught 3 out of 10 passes he would be cut from the team.. if a basketball player made 3 out of 10 jump shots, he'd be lucky to be on the team.

....and its so ridiculous to argue the point I wont anymore

Last edited:
Funny ain't it? It all of a sudden became hard to do when we quit doing it. It wasn't so hard when we hit 5 homeruns back to back against Ga. a few years ago. Hitting is like a golf shot, if you think about the pond most likely you will find the pond.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Funny ain't it? It all of a sudden became hard to do when we quit doing it. It wasn't so hard when we hit 5 homeruns back to back against Ga. a few years ago. Hitting is like a golf shot, if you think about the pond most likely you will find the pond.

What's that classic line from Crash?

Oh yeah..."Don't think. You can only hurt the ballclub."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT