ADVERTISEMENT

It's interesting reading Marcus Lattimore's tweets and blog now. I think this has been discussed here a time or two in the past.

paleoorthocock

Dec 14, 2004
Seems like he's in a good place in many ways but a number of his comments sound like he is frustrated at having maybe been used in some way. Also a lot there about unrealistic expectations and images and having to keep them up and the freedom of being honest with yourself and others. Just makes me wonder what happened. Wonder if the brand and image "Marcus Lattimore" in SC became too overwhelming and unrealistic? Wonder if he came to resent having to be this perfect guy, perfect athlete? He doesn't seem bitter but you can feel a measure of hurt there. (All of this is subjective and just my opinion, of course.)

Marcus will always be one of my favorite Gamecocks. I'll admit, I sat there and shed tears the TN game when he was injured. It wasn't because of how much we'd miss him on the field, it was the hurt and raw emotion I saw on his face. It was obvious, he knew it was most likely over. He was a cornerstone of "the good years".

He and I probably wouldn't agree on some social issues, but that's cool, he's his own man and we probably don't have the same life experiences, I totally respect that.

I have to wonder at times if he isn't experiencing some "what could have been's". He says all the right things publicly, but privately, you just don't know what he's dealing with. He was a stud, a sure NFL career, something that I'm sure he'd dreamed of and worked hard for all of his life, and it all was taken away. That can haunt even the best of us. Admittedly, that's just speculation on my part.

Bottom line, I hope and pray that Marcus is in a good place, and I want the best that life can offer for him. He was and still is a great ambassador for South Carolina.

Marcus will always be one of my favorite Gamecocks. I'll admit, I sat there and shed tears the TN game when he was injured. It wasn't because of how much we'd miss him on the field, it was the hurt and raw emotion I saw on his face. It was obvious, he knew it was most likely over. He was a cornerstone of "the good years".

He and I probably wouldn't agree on some social issues, but that's cool, he's his own man and we probably don't have the same life experiences, I totally respect that.

I have to wonder at times if he isn't experiencing some "what could have been's". He says all the right things publicly, but privately, you just don't know what he's dealing with. He was a stud, a sure NFL career, something that I'm sure he'd dreamed of and worked hard for all of his life, and it all was taken away. That can haunt even the best of us. Admittedly, that's just speculation on my part.

Bottom line, I hope and pray that Marcus is in a good place, and I want the best that life can offer for him. He was and still is a great ambassador for South Carolina.
I agree with everything you said. Great post!

Well, he burnt his bridge at Byrnes High School....He led the charge to change the name of James F. Byrnes to something else...He saw real quickly he was in a minority of about 100 people for changning the name and about 50 thousand not wanting to change the name...

One of the greatest at Byrnes High, but would get booooed off the field if he showed up now...

Well, he burnt his bridge at Byrnes High School....He led the charge to change the name of James F. Byrnes to something else...He saw real quickly he was in a minority of about 100 people for changning the name and about 50 thousand not wanting to change the name...

One of the greatest at Byrnes High, but would get booooed off the field if he showed up now...
Why was he against JF Byrnes?

Why was he against JF Byrnes?
I can’t speak for Marcus, but Byrnes was a leader in fighting against integration of society. Yes, a lot of people were. But he was Governor at the time. Here is a quote from his inaugural address when he was elected:

Whatever is necessary to continue the separation of the races in the schools of South Carolina is going to be done by the white people of the state. That is my ticket as a private citizen. It will be my ticket as governor.

— James F. Byrnes

Whether those sentiments should result in a name change of a school, that can be debated. But I can certainly understand why people might ask for a change.

I can’t speak for Marcus, but Byrnes was a leader in fighting against integration of society. Yes, a lot of people were. But he was Governor at the time. Here is a quote from his inaugural address when he was elected:

Whatever is necessary to continue the separation of the races in the schools of South Carolina is going to be done by the white people of the state. That is my ticket as a private citizen. It will be my ticket as governor.

— James F. Byrnes

Whether those sentiments should result in a name change of a school, that can be debated. But I can certainly understand why people might ask for a change.
This happened in Atlanta regarding Grady High School, recently renamed Midtown High.

Wikipedia article on Henry Grady

Reactions: DrMickey
He gave his legs up running the ball for a CFB team in an attempt to make the NFL. I think most people in that situation would feel a little used.
Marcus lost his legs?

You have to play football, risking injury, to make it to the NFL, so I'm not sure why he would feel "used" about that. Bitter, maybe. Regretful, maybe. But I don't see where "used" would come from that.

Maybe but how often do they bring in drug dogs for speeders?
The answer is 'every time a certain profile is met'. IE, location of vehicle on a known drug corridor, type of vehicle, type of license plate (out of state), and most importantly the actions of both the driver and the passenger (nervous). And, yes, race can also play into that profile. Such actions happen all the time. All of this was discussed when the incident occurred. I

— James F. Byrnes

Man what’s crazy is that Byrnes was pro segregation and they came up with a high school named after a segregationist and then had a nickname like the REBELS.

Then it’s even crazier that a black citizen might be offended and want the name changed.

Let me guess their school colors have NOTHING to do with the Confederacy. They’re green and gold, right?

Marcus was set up in SC to basically be the next George Rogers. That cherished son of the state that would be a legend his whole life. His football efforts will continue to be just that. But from a personal aspect, really not sure what brought about the change. You read some of his tweets over the last couple years and one sees a sense of bitterness in them. And he seems to have embraced the social justice warrior stance. I don't know. He suddenly decided he wanted to distance himself from the place where he developed his greatness. His loss, and a decision I think he will regret down the road. Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Idk, I’ve had one request to search my vehicle, in Gaffney, 5am.. officer claimed I ran the red light, I didn’t. He saw my bag in the back and asked what it was, I was headed out of town to MD to visit my gal. he requested to search I declined, citing the 4th amendment. (I was 19). He wrote me a red light ticket, then I won in court.

Marcus was set up in SC to basically be the next George Rogers. That cherished son of the state that would be a legend his whole life. His football efforts will continue to be just that. But from a personal aspect, really not sure what brought about the change. You read some of his tweets over the last couple years and one sees a sense of bitterness in them. And he seems to have embraced the social justice warrior stance. I don't know. He suddenly decided he wanted to distance himself from the place where he developed his greatness. His loss, and a decision I think he will regret down the road. Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Yeah, hopefully he doesn't go full Kaepernick on us.

He gave his legs up running the ball for a CFB team in an attempt to make the NFL. I think most people in that situation would feel a little used.
As opposed to what....going from Pop Warner to the NFL? "Gave up his legs" ....."Used".... SMDH.
Entitlement, entitlement, entitlement from this poster.

He earned a great (free) education, was beloved by all and had a lifetime job within the University outside the NFL that near definitely exceeded any other career/setup he could have gotten on his own in the real business world. So I hope ML doesn't feel the same way the poster describes. Because if he does... the next reaction from the once 100% supporters will be "shunned".

The answer is 'every time a certain profile is met'. IE, location of vehicle on a known drug corridor, type of vehicle, type of license plate (out of state), and most importantly the actions of both the driver and the passenger (nervous). And, yes, race can also play into that profile. Such actions happen all the time. All of this was discussed when the incident occurred. I
yes...and It's not always right....but I'm not a cop and don't have to deal with ALL the BS they have to deal with on a daily basis, and worry about MY life while trying to protect others' lives. I don't know the actual facts. Was ML speeding? Was he texting or taking a photo and swerving? Was he doing nothing at all and going the exact speed limit? I don't know. I DO KNOW the timing that he came out with this coordinated with the social platform that was attempting to be rolled out.

I live near a place where that near exact same situation described above occurred recently...instead of black it was latinos from Chicago (out of state). 300 million cocaine drug bust. So.....it sucks if they stopped 2 other latinos that had plates from NY or somewhere who might have been swerving earlier that day, but I sure am glad the cops did their job and caught who they caught.

yes...and It's not always right....but I'm not a cop and don't have to deal with ALL the BS they have to deal with on a daily basis, and worry about MY life while trying to protect others' lives. I don't know the actual facts. Was ML speeding? Was he texting or taking a photo and swerving? Was he doing nothing at all and going the exact speed limit? I don't know. I DO KNOW the timing that he came out with this coordinated with the social platform that was attempting to be rolled out.

I live near a place where that near exact same situation described above occurred recently...instead of black it was latinos from Chicago (out of state). 300 million cocaine drug bust. So.....it sucks if they stopped 2 other latinos that had plates from NY or somewhere who might have been swerving earlier that day, but I sure am glad the cops did their job and caught who they caught.
AMEN

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Pretty naïve viewpoint there friend.

As noted, if my temperature gauge is moving towards hot, even if I don't see any steam I'm checking it out. I've been profiled, aggressively so, for long hair in the past. I fit a profile.

Until we can move past the mindset that action on anything other than "white" represents "racism", nothing will ever improve.

Free education, tons of exposure, given a job at USC, and received multiple endorsement deals by Columbia businesses after be was out. Marcus got more than most student athletes ever will.

He has become opionated with his politics, which many in a Red State won't agree with. That may have caused him to lose some endorsements. It is absolutely his right to express his beliefs, but to get a backlash from others is the consequence.

I think most Gamecocks will always love Marcus, but those who helped him in the past may want to distance themselves from what he may say next

Probably a lot of bitterness, regret, and thoughts that a younger man's mind often turn to. In 20-30 years as he ages his mind will probably mature to the point he sees being bitter or regretful is a waste of time in life

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT