ADVERTISEMENT

It's interesting reading Marcus Lattimore's tweets and blog now. I think this has been discussed here a time or two in the past.

I just sent a check to the KY State Police for $180, put it in the mail yesterday.

My parents were on the way back from a camping trip, they're around 70 in age, they're as white-bread and clean-cut as they come. Going through a construction zone in Paducah. Dad said it was fairly heavy traffic, speed limit was 35, but he was keeping up with traffic. He got pulled, 50 in 35. Nice truck, nice camper, out of state tags...that's a payday for police officers. He asked the officer why he was the one pulled when traffic was moving steadily. The officer said don't be a smartass, you were speeding in a construction zone (which was true). Dad hands officer his drivers license and his CCP. Officer asks if he has any weapons in the vehicle. Dad says yes, one in my pocket, one in the console, one in the duffel in the back seat, and my wife has one in her purse. Officer wants to know why he has so many. Dad says it's just personal protection. The officer wanted to see all of the guns (suspect he just wanted to look in the duffel), so dad obliged. Another patrol car shows up (backup I guess). All in all, he sat there over 30 minutes at a traffic stop for speeding, and legally carrying handguns. Dad kept his cool the whole time, got his $180 ticket, moved on. It pissed him off that the officer was a smartass and a jerk, but he kept his mouth shut. Keep in mind, to have a CCP in SC, you have to have a clean record, so at 70 years of age, dad hasn't had anything more than minor traffic tickets, yet the guns somehow were of interest. Maybe after 70 years dad was going to go postal. :rolleyes:

My point is, yes, there is a lot of profiling that goes on, but I'm not so sure a lot of it is racial (although there COULD be instances of that). Police officers are looking for easy targets, and out of state is an easy target. Pull em over, give em a ticket, they're not coming back for a court hearing, it's easy money, oh and you might just get a big drug payday to fall in your lap every now and then. You have to be extra careful driving in other states, you've got a target on your back. Black, white, hispanic, race doesn't really matter IMO.

I would encourage those that think everything is racial profiling consider what I wrote above. Dad was an easy target. IMHO, Marcus was too. Profiling happens, deal with it, move on.

Pretty naïve viewpoint there friend.

As noted, if my temperature gauge is moving towards hot, even if I don't see any steam I'm checking it out. I've been profiled, aggressively so, for long hair in the past. I fit a profile.

Until we can move past the mindset that action on anything other than "white" represents "racism", nothing will ever improve.
It’s not naive. How many people on here have ever been pulled over for speeding? How many have been pulled over for speeding out of state? How many people have been nervous when approached by the officer for speeding? How many have had drug dogs called in on them.

Our experiences may often impact our opinions of things. I can say that I have had minimal positive interactions with police. I had a City of Columbia cop pull his gun on me for “getting out of my vehicle too fast” when he asked me to step out and a judge advise a Richland County office that if he saw the two of us in traffic court again he would send him for referral. These things happened in the 90s and I still hate any time a cop gets behind me for anything. I also had a cop write me a ticket because he could visually tell by tire rotation that I was speeding and another pull me over because the “body roll” on my vehicle indicated I was speeding.

I used to drive an old beater because I just didn’t want to make a car payment. It ran great, got awesome mileage but it just wasn’t a great car. We had a police officer we knew call us one night and tell us he was behind us at an intersection and had just run the plates on the car because it seemed out of place where it was when he realized it was us.

I don’t think race always plays a into things but it’s also naive to think that there are times it doesn’t. I more often find certain police officers just enjoy making things as miserable of an experience as possible. I think in this situation it is just as likely that the officer decided to be a jerk based on the response he was given to his question of why are you shaking as it was that he was following his “instincts”.

I just sent a check to the KY State Police for $180, put it in the mail yesterday.

My parents were on the way back from a camping trip, they're around 70 in age, they're as white-bread and clean-cut as they come. Going through a construction zone in Paducah. Dad said it was fairly heavy traffic, speed limit was 35, but he was keeping up with traffic. He got pulled, 50 in 35. Nice truck, nice camper, out of state tags...that's a payday for police officers. He asked the officer why he was the one pulled when traffic was moving steadily. The officer said don't be a smartass, you were speeding in a construction zone (which was true). Dad hands officer his drivers license and his CCP. Officer asks if he has any weapons in the vehicle. Dad says yes, one in my pocket, one in the console, one in the duffel in the back seat, and my wife has one in her purse. Officer wants to know why he has so many. Dad says it's just personal protection. The officer wanted to see all of the guns (suspect he just wanted to look in the duffel), so dad obliged. Another patrol car shows up (backup I guess). All in all, he sat there over 30 minutes at a traffic stop for speeding, and legally carrying handguns. Dad kept his cool the whole time, got his $180 ticket, moved on. It pissed him off that the officer was a smartass and a jerk, but he kept his mouth shut. Keep in mind, to have a CCP in SC, you have to have a clean record, so at 70 years of age, dad hasn't had anything more than minor traffic tickets, yet the guns somehow were of interest. Maybe after 70 years dad was going to go postal. :rolleyes:

My point is, yes, there is a lot of profiling that goes on, but I'm not so sure a lot of it is racial (although there COULD be instances of that). Police officers are looking for easy targets, and out of state is an easy target. Pull em over, give em a ticket, they're not coming back for a court hearing, it's easy money, oh and you might just get a big drug payday to fall in your lap every now and then. You have to be extra careful driving in other states, you've got a target on your back. Black, white, hispanic, race doesn't really matter IMO.

I would encourage those that think everything is racial profiling consider what I wrote above. Dad was an easy target. IMHO, Marcus was too. Profiling happens, deal with it, move on.
Oh phew. I'm so glad that they harass all races equally.

Read up on the history of racism in the United States and I don't think you'd hold this same opinion

Read up on the history of racism in the United States and I don't think you'd hold this same opinion
With respect, I am fully aware of the racism that has went on in the past. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's wrong, end of story. But I do think that it's getting better, despite what the media attempts to portray. Maybe we're not where we need to be, but we're better than we used to be IMHO, and that's progress.

The point I was trying to make is that IMO traffic stops aren't always racially motivated. Profiling, sure, I'm convinced of that, but I don't hold the opinion that a majority are race-related. I think they are opportunity-related, if that makes any sense, and quite possibly why ML was pulled in Nebraska (neither you nor I know for certain). Law enforcement loves a quick pop, it's easy funding. Out of state tags are a slam dunk. Not many people will drive hundreds of miles to show up for court on a $100-200 ticket. It's easy money.

Admittedly, I am white, so I don't have the experience that a person of color may have, I fully acknowledge that.

With respect, I am fully aware of the racism that has went on in the past. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's wrong, end of story. But I do think that it's getting better, despite what the media attempts to portray. Maybe we're not where we need to be, but we're better than we used to be IMHO, and that's progress.

The point I was trying to make is that IMO traffic stops aren't always racially motivated. Profiling, sure, I'm convinced of that, but I don't hold the opinion that a majority are race-related. I think they are opportunity-related, if that makes any sense, and quite possibly why ML was pulled in Nebraska (neither you nor I know for certain). Law enforcement loves a quick pop, it's easy funding. Out of state tags are a slam dunk. Not many people will drive hundreds of miles to show up for court on a $100-200 ticket. It's easy money.

Admittedly, I am white, so I don't have the experience that a person of color may have, I fully acknowledge that.
I get what you’re saying and I don’t think you’re wrong. Profiling exists for reasons other than race, but racial profiling is certainly one of the biggest.

I’m not black but I had to deal with a peckerhead cop on a power trip in Georgia. Taking my kids to Disney and he wants to search the car up and down for going a few miles over the speed limit, which everyone on I-95 was, but it was my day. He wants to search it. I said be my guest. I’ve got 3 kids in the back and a weeks worth of family luggage for Disney.

Of course he didn’t find anything and wrote me a ticket and didn’t cut me an ounce of slack. I suspect most of it was from being out of state.

Of all my cop dealings, it was the only negative one. Had my kids not been so excited about Disney, I would have spoke my peace and paid my fine, even if it meant a couple of hours in the county jail. I kept quiet with him being an a$$ for my kids, but I did tell my wife to go ahead and record once he started getting uglier the longer it went on. It’s amazing how much they “diffuse” when the camera cuts on.

I wouldn’t piss on that cop if he was on fire. This experience is part of the reason I don’t “back the blue” blindly. I support law enforcement, but they are people and need to be monitored as well.

You have to look at the end game in all of this, because the anti-police hype actually is hurting minorities. I have a bi-racial family, and a few months ago one of our young relatives (19yo black male) had a wreck in downtown Columbia. He managed to hit two cars, and one person was injured. So our young man really thinks that the police are going to roll up and beat him to death. His car is still functioning, so he floors it. The police catch him on 277, and they of course have reason to search his car, and they find some weed in it. So now he is in big trouble. The media hype influenced him to make a bad situation worse, and it adds more panic and tension to every one of these situations.

Surpringly, the United States was one of the first countries to enact laws against slavery...and hundreds of thousands of young white males fought to make it happen. Our history pretty compelling to those that aren't trying to rewrite it.

Surpringly, the United States was one of the first countries to enact laws against slavery...and hundreds of thousands of young white males fought to make it happen. Our history pretty compelling to those that aren't trying to rewrite it.
That's a huuuuge oversimplification

I’m a Carolina grad. I respectfully disagree

Sure...I'm a proud Carolina grad as well.

You can disagree with the facts and circumstances of perhaps the most defining event in our country's history...but your disagreement would be erroneous.

Reactions: josillor
I HATED to see Marcus get hurt. He was one of my favorite players and I had hoped he would get involved in coaching at SC moreso than he did. I have not followed his twitter because I heard he was getting radical and I didnt want to get disappointed in him. It makes me sad to hear that a guy so talented and with so many opportunities is now pushing this insanity of social justice. That, along with BLM and CRT crap is going to destroy this country. I am sorry but why are we changing the names of schools over what that individual said and did 100+ years ago? Was Burns a sorry sack of shite? Absolutely but are we really such cry babies that we are going to pick a fight over the name of a school? Does racial profiling occur? ABSOLUTELY. I could tell you about a black cop that pulled myself and my black wife over in Louisiana. She was driving and when he figured out we were married, his demeanor changed immediately. Of course he wrote her a ticket and was a pain in the arse. What did we do? Nothing. That is life. That is reality. Some cops are jackasses. Deal with it and move on. The media has convinced the black community that cops are out to kill innocent black boys on a daily basis and it is an absolute lie. It is A LIE. Are there some instances of that happening? Absolutely and those cops need to be dealt with accordingly. The same thing happens on occasion with whites and hispanics and asians. Yet no one is pushing any narrative that all cops are out to kill innocent whites. Its bullcrap and I get so sick and tired of hearing it. I hate that Marcus has bought into that crap but he has allowed himself to do so and any consequences that come about because of it, he will have to deal with. I am so sick of this soft, pansy arse society we have become. Perhaps we need to experience some real, difficult problems in this country so that people can learn to separate real problems from this "you hurt my feelings" crap.

I HATED to see Marcus get hurt. He was one of my favorite players and I had hoped he would get involved in coaching at SC moreso than he did. I have not followed his twitter because I heard he was getting radical and I didnt want to get disappointed in him. It makes me sad to hear that a guy so talented and with so many opportunities is now pushing this insanity of social justice. That, along with BLM and CRT crap is going to destroy this country. I am sorry but why are we changing the names of schools over what that individual said and did 100+ years ago? Was Burns a sorry sack of shite? Absolutely but are we really such cry babies that we are going to pick a fight over the name of a school? Does racial profiling occur? ABSOLUTELY. I could tell you about a black cop that pulled myself and my black wife over in Louisiana. She was driving and when he figured out we were married, his demeanor changed immediately. Of course he wrote her a ticket and was a pain in the arse. What did we do? Nothing. That is life. That is reality. Some cops are jackasses. Deal with it and move on. The media has convinced the black community that cops are out to kill innocent black boys on a daily basis and it is an absolute lie. It is A LIE. Are there some instances of that happening? Absolutely and those cops need to be dealt with accordingly. The same thing happens on occasion with whites and hispanics and asians. Yet no one is pushing any narrative that all cops are out to kill innocent whites. Its bullcrap and I get so sick and tired of hearing it. I hate that Marcus has bought into that crap but he has allowed himself to do so and any consequences that come about because of it, he will have to deal with. I am so sick of this soft, pansy arse society we have become. Perhaps we need to experience some real, difficult problems in this country so that people can learn to separate real problems from this "you hurt my feelings" crap.

If you ever decide to run for office, you have my vote. And no, I'm not kidding.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
If you ever decide to run for office, you have my vote. And no, I'm not kidding.
Now that is funny. My brother in law is a member of the SC house but I have not had much interest in politics. I have a checkered past and opponents would dig it up and publicize it. My marriage to a black woman keeps me from trusting many on the conservative side of the local politics and I know from first hand experience how patronizing the left is in regards to interracial marriage. I also am not sure that I can pretend to care about the things that I really dont care about with those folks I would have to beg from for donations, if that makes any sense. For the most part, all I see is a political machine that corrupts almost everyone, republican or democrat.

Reactions: chief2791
Now that is funny. My brother in law is a member of the SC house but I have not had much interest in politics. I have a checkered past and opponents would dig it up and publicize it. My marriage to a black woman keeps me from trusting many on the conservative side of the local politics and I know from first hand experience how patronizing the left is in regards to interracial marriage. I also am not sure that I can pretend to care about the things that I really dont care about with those folks I would have to beg from for donations, if that makes any sense. For the most part, all I see is a political machine that corrupts almost everyone, republican or democrat.

Keep talking...I have friends and neighbors that are now ready to vote for you.

Reactions: purenonsense
Yet took so long to enact civil rights and even longer to segregate schools. The problem didn't end with slavery.

So many
Yet took so long to enact civil rights and even longer to segregate schools. The problem didn't end with slavery.
So many of those who weren’t actually around back then and base their opinions off of archived newsreels and film (sensationalized back then just as now, although actually worse now) believe that it was merely a matter of a “social membership” type atmosphere; a “no girls allowed” type thing. It was not, I’m sorry.

Sure...and we have subsequently taken care of both of those issues. Progress can take time...and one step leads to another.

With each movement forward, the race-baiters lose more and more relevance. So sadly, the goal is to now take us back to the 1850s. No one likes to lose his/her job, I suppose.

Like most men of his time, he did believe in segregation...
The correct reason would have been because as Baruch he was responsible for needless deaths and destruction of his fellow South Carolinians along with other American soldiers. But that's kind of an esoteric deep understanding of history. Racism is bad, this symbol is always shown with bad guys in movies and our brains aren't built to understand fiction stories aren't real, is a way easier take.

I get what you’re saying and I don’t think you’re wrong. Profiling exists for reasons other than race, but racial profiling is certainly one of the biggest.

I’m not black but I had to deal with a peckerhead cop on a power trip in Georgia. Taking my kids to Disney and he wants to search the car up and down for going a few miles over the speed limit, which everyone on I-95 was, but it was my day. He wants to search it. I said be my guest. I’ve got 3 kids in the back and a weeks worth of family luggage for Disney.

Of course he didn’t find anything and wrote me a ticket and didn’t cut me an ounce of slack. I suspect most of it was from being out of state.

Of all my cop dealings, it was the only negative one. Had my kids not been so excited about Disney, I would have spoke my peace and paid my fine, even if it meant a couple of hours in the county jail. I kept quiet with him being an a$$ for my kids, but I did tell my wife to go ahead and record once he started getting uglier the longer it went on. It’s amazing how much they “diffuse” when the camera cuts on.

I wouldn’t piss on that cop if he was on fire. This experience is part of the reason I don’t “back the blue” blindly. I support law enforcement, but they are people and need to be monitored as well.
Checks and balances in government apply to law enforcement as well.

They apply but without video evidence most citizens will not have a prayer against law enforcement. Even with damning evidence, it’s an uphill battle.
And that's why video evidence is critical - it takes "he said, she said" out of the equation. Growing pains for law enforcement. A good officer should have no issue with video evidence.

And that's why video evidence is critical - it takes "he said, she said" out of the equation. Growing pains for law enforcement. A good officer should have no issue with video evidence.
I agree. Unfortunately body cams are not universal and most cops “forget” to activate cameras when they are most needed.

Often times officers do tend to get more agitated when being recorded. Yes good ones should not, but it’s not the good ones that you typically need to record.

Law Enforcement is like any other profession. There are some excellent ones, some average ones and some that should have been replaced a long time ago.

You may or may not be lucky to be a cracker. But I'm sure no white people have ever had a K9 unit called for what they considered a flimsy reason.
BULLCRAP. I have admittedly not heard of the cops bringing out a K9 to search a crackers car. In fact, I wasnt aware a cracker could operate a car. I would have thought if anything, the cop would eat the cracker. I do know that happens to white folks all over the country though.

I agree. Unfortunately body cams are not universal and most cops “forget” to activate cameras when they are most needed.

Often times officers do tend to get more agitated when being recorded. Yes good ones should not, but it’s not the good ones that you typically need to record.

Law Enforcement is like any other profession. There are some excellent ones, some average ones and some that should have been replaced a long time ago.
My first reaction is that Law Enforcement Officers should be held accountable for "forgetting" to activate their cameras.

Laughable.
It’s not naive. How many people on here have ever been pulled over for speeding? How many have been pulled over for speeding out of state? How many people have been nervous when approached by the officer for speeding? How many have had drug dogs called in on them.

Our experiences may often impact our opinions of things. I can say that I have had minimal positive interactions with police. I had a City of Columbia cop pull his gun on me for “getting out of my vehicle too fast” when he asked me to step out and a judge advise a Richland County office that if he saw the two of us in traffic court again he would send him for referral. These things happened in the 90s and I still hate any time a cop gets behind me for anything. I also had a cop write me a ticket because he could visually tell by tire rotation that I was speeding and another pull me over because the “body roll” on my vehicle indicated I was speeding.

I used to drive an old beater because I just didn’t want to make a car payment. It ran great, got awesome mileage but it just wasn’t a great car. We had a police officer we knew call us one night and tell us he was behind us at an intersection and had just run the plates on the car because it seemed out of place where it was when he realized it was us.

I don’t think race always plays a into things but it’s also naive to think that there are times it doesn’t. I more often find certain police officers just enjoy making things as miserable of an experience as possible. I think in this situation it is just as likely that the officer decided to be a jerk based on the response he was given to his question of why are you shaking as it was that he was following his “instincts”.

I too have been pulled over for the lack of moving into another lane, away from the emergency vehicle. I don’t really know the name of the law, but the charge was $300.00. I was ticked off because I thought the NC patrolman was profiling my SC tag, or maybe he was needing to make his quota. So I began telling a Florida friend of mine whose friend was a Florida Highway patrolman, who was killed by a motorist driving too close to his vehicle. I suddenly realized how important that law is. It seemed so incidental until I thought about why the law exists. I paid my fine and donated 50.00 to the local police fund. The Judge dropped the charge.

Reactions: atl-cock

Sorry that happened to your dad. The unreasonable LEO's are on a short list. Most are good guys but when they pull you these days, everything is recorded so they have to follow protocol. The days of talking your way out of a ticket are gone. In 1978 I friend of mine had one too many late one night and ran off the road into a deep ditch that had his car almost sideways. He gets on his old school pre cellular phone to call a buddy to come get him just as a cop knocks on his window and throws the flashlight at him. He reaches up, rolls down the window, cups his hand over the phone and tells the cop "can't you see I'm on the phone ?" After his call ended the cop was so amused that he gave him a ride home without consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT