ADVERTISEMENT

It's official.....SEC Presidents vote 14-0 to invite Texas and OU

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Welcome aboard Horns and Sooners and kudos to the SEC office for getting in front of this and leaping to a position of strength. Just with these two new members SEC revenues anticipated to grow to over $60 million per school. More schools to come?

Welcome aboard Horns and Sooners and kudos to the SEC office for getting in front of this and leaping to a position of strength. Just with these two new members SEC revenues anticipated to grow to over $60 million per school. More schools to come?

Sorry, I did not see your thread before I posted mine. I will try to delete my thread.

I hope they like finishing 3rd - 7th every year. I’m mean, clearly Texas does, but what’s OU’s angle?
The Big12 was a "Dead Man Walking". The conference was doomed anyway. They found out last May when a media consultant reported to the conference presidents/ADs that neither Fox nor ESPN was interested in an early negotiation of their media rights contract due to expire in 2025.

OU and TX decided to get out while there was a prime landing spot. There is something to be said for having financial security even if you struggle competitively.

I’m afraid we will live to regret this. Texas will play coy and not make waves UNTIL Saban retires. After Saban retires, everything will change. Texas will either take over the SEC, or make all the other schools miserable while trying to claw their way to the top. I absolutely dread it. Mark my words. You were warned. Too bad Sankey doesn't see this.

I hope they like finishing 3rd - 7th every year. I’m mean, clearly Texas does, but what’s OU’s angle?

Always looked at OU and said to myself “if they did it, why couldn’t we?”.
They’re a school that doesn’t rely on their state much in recruiting. I guess way back they just got good and built tradition at the right time. Now it’s cemented. But on the surface I don’t see much added benefit having your school in Ok versus SC.

I’m afraid we will live to regret this. Texas will play coy and not make waves UNTIL Saban retires. After Saban retires, everything will change. Texas will either take over the SEC, or make all the other schools miserable while trying to claw their way to the top. I absolutely dread it. Mark my words. You were warned. Too bad Sankey doesn't see this.
I don’t think Saban will retire anytime soon. He eats, sleeps and craps football. There’s literally nothing else on Earth that interests him. This is clearly his last stop and he gets to coach a loaded team every year. He’s going to pass Bear Bryant in just about every category as Alabama coach.

I think Saban is one of those dudes that would have a hard time going into retirement. If he wanted to, he could have left 15 years ago.

They’re a school that doesn’t rely on their state much in recruiting. I guess way back they just got good and built tradition at the right time. Now it’s cemented. But on the surface I don’t see much added benefit having your school in Ok versus SC.

Sounds like the clemson model. A rise due to filling a void in a lesser conference?

Not sure that model fits for what needs to be done in Columbia.

All Saban does is make sure that Bama "plays" nice with regard to conference business.

Texas took advantage of the Big12's "newness" and lack of tradition. The SEC doesn't have any of those problems. At some point TX may try to "Be Somebody". But, Sankey or the SEC ADs won't be having any of it.

TX is lucky to be in the SEC and they know it. That's why they offered up the LHN when they first came to the SEC bargaining table.

Their campus is 2 hours from Texas and have played in Dallas every year for decades. That’s a pretty good added benefit for recruiting.

I was hoping us playing A&M every year would open some roads for us, but alas.

You know from 1953 to 1957 Oklahoma won 47 consecutive games and won back to back national championships in 1955 and 1956. (They finished 10-0 in 1954, but the AP gave it to 9-0 Ohio State). Notre Dame beat them 7-0 to break the streak in 1957. So OU has a great football history that might give them an advantage over a team whose highest finish is 4th in the AP poll.

You could've put a damn monkey in charge of college football the last 20 years and it would've done a better job than the foul, soulless cockroaches that have ruined it. Honest to god, a monkey.

The bad thing is, these idiotic moves made by idiots and supported by bigger idiots...you know who you are...will never be reversed. Idiots like you idiots that idiotically support this idiocy will only allow it to get worse. Gee, I can't wait until our 65 team "conference" someday gets 39 teams into the 111 spot CFP. Everyone loving this deserves to have there rectum gored by a demon with a spiked penis for all eternity. All y'all had to do was wait one day later each week if y'all wanted to watch the NFL.

• Haha
Reactions: caughtlookin
You know from 1953 to 1957 Oklahoma won 47 consecutive games and won back to back national championships in 1955 and 1956. (They finished 10-0 in 1954, but the AP gave it to 9-0 Ohio State). Notre Dame beat them 7-0 to break the streak in 1957. So OU has a great football history that might give them an advantage over a team whose highest finish is 4th in the AP poll.
I'm musing at how the conversations between you and some of us have taken a turn since y'all are now in the SEC with us - even before a game is played.😄

Why didn't you put in for that job when you had the chance? 🤣

Well I imagine their campus was in the exact same place back then that it is today? Logistically speaking OK appears to have no advantage over the state of SC.
If you read my entire post it was specifically saying that the state of OK doesn’t look much different from SC as far as what the state itself can offer in football talent. That they appear similar. The only difference is they made the right moves long ago. Now they have tradition that sells as much as any other recruiting pitch.
OK benefits from having Texas next door. But a lot of Texas is no closer to them than Florida is to us.
But as far as their great run you mentioned. I also said that they must have way back either made a big commitment to being good at football. Had a great coach at the right time. Or something along those lines that built the tradition needed to recruit beyond the borders of their state which could not sustain a program of that level.
Not that I think we should be better because our one time 4th in the AP trumps their accomplishments.

I don’t think Saban will retire anytime soon. He eats, sleeps and craps football. There’s literally nothing else on Earth that interests him. This is clearly his last stop and he gets to coach a loaded team every year. He’s going to pass Bear Bryant in just about every category as Alabama coach.

I think Saban is one of those dudes that would have a hard time going into retirement. If he wanted to, he could have left 15 years ago.

Amen! Saban is no Spurrier. The Ole Ball Coach liked to play golf and drink beer with the boys. Not so with Saban. Saban is a tireless, focused, football coaching animal 24/7.

I'm musing at how the conversations between you and some of us have taken a turn since y'all are now in the SEC with us - even before a game is played.😄

Harder to be seen as the friendly outsider anymore. At least we won't be in the same pod.

Buckle up, we are going to 20 teams...more big boys on the way. Texas will make some waves but who cares? We aren't winning SEC titles anytime soon, I hope they add several more powerhouses. We've got nothing to lose. Austin road trip sounds like a blast to me, let's play them all.

Reactions: bflogger28
Don't worry, it'll keep expanding. There is no doubt it'll go to 20 in the next few years, followed soon after by calls for 24 from the current and future ignorami that support all this nonsense. I so look forward to the day we have a 168 team "conference" with 14 pods. How cozy.

After college football is completely destroyed all of locusts that have ruined it can just move on and find something else good to poison.

Reactions: bflogger28
This is not a good thing. Why are people happy about this?

also what’s all this pod talk?
Who will move to the sec east division since OU and Texas are so far west?

This wouldn't have been so bad for us before NIL. Still would have been tougher, but NIL amplified the negatives in this for us X 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT