ADVERTISEMENT

It's WAAAY Past time...

rangercock

Feb 16, 2001
For the FBS to go to AT LEAST an EIGHT TEAM PLAYOFF! I don't care how many times it's been posted. There needs to be a relentless push for the NCAA to do it. But alas, they are a joke in every way. Siiiiigggghhh...

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
For the FBS to go to AT LEAST an EIGHT TEAM PLAYOFF! I don't care how many times it's been posted. There needs to be a relentless push for the NCAA to do it. But alas, they are a joke in every way. Siiiiigggghhh...

Problem is $$$$ . They are a slave to all the meaningless bowls they have created . I say cut out half the bowls and go for it . Going to a bowl meant something years ago but now if you don’t go you stink .

Reactions: rangercock
That's how they justified not going to a playoff in the first place. Maybe just make other seniority bowls the venues and swap out year-to-year, etc. It would make the season a lot more enjoyable for sure. It makes me sick seeing an NFL team that is middle of the pack still have a shot at a playoff, but in College, you basically have to win every game.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Then they would be outed and their would be no doubt. Eight is not too many IMO. Especially in years where you don't have clear dominance.

Reactions: lostcock
not only that.... but the #1,#2 and 3 seed teams will sit their best players in either or both of the rival games and conference championship games for fear of injury that would hurt them in the playoffs
It's a possibility if they think they could afford a loss. Why do people want to mess with something this good?

Reactions: bosoxcock
They might not have that luxury if there is parity at the top as is the case many times...

That's how they justified not going to a playoff in the first place. Maybe just make other seniority bowls the venues and swap out year-to-year, etc. It would make the season a lot more enjoyable for sure. It makes me sick seeing an NFL team that is middle of the pack still have a shot at a playoff, but in College, you basically have to win every game.
You have to make every game important, and losing two of them almost certainly fatal.

It's a possibility if they think they could afford a loss. Why do people want to mess with something this good?

can you imagine how oklahoma, georgia and ohio st games would be played today if there was a 8 team playoff now... i dont want to find out

Last edited:
Reactions: Judson1
You have to make every game important, and losing two of them almost certainly fatal.

the problem is Ga. okla. and ohio st had one loss coming in to today.... okla. beat a 3 loss team, ohio st will beat a team that lost to Akron.. and ga. played Alabama..... There arent 4 teams better than Ga.

I understand where you're coming form, but I'd like to see how it would shake out. Could always go
Back to four if it showed too much negative.

the problem is Ga. okla. and ohio st had one loss coming in to today.... okla. beat a 3 loss team, ohio st will beat a team that lost to Akron.. and ga. played Alabama..... There arent 4 teams better than Ga.
Perhaps not. But in line with valuing the regular season, which leads to all of this, they got boat-raced at LSU and they now own two losses. The one getting the break is Notre Dame. Something needs to be done about them. But I don't want to see them expand the playoffs to give MORE people breaks. That would diminish the whole thing.

Perhaps not. But in line with valuing the regular season, which leads to all of this, they got boat-raced at LSU and they now own two losses. The one getting the break is Notre Dame. Something needs to be done about them. But I don't want to see them expand the playoffs to give MORE people breaks. That would diminish the whole thing.

Perhaps so.. you say "boat racing".. you need to include the "boat raced" Ohio St took at Purdue, that's Purdue.... and the " boat raced" Okla. defense takes week to week playing a lousy schedule

Agree! UGA out because they barely lose to.... Alabama. Clemson playing a glorified high school them from the All Cupcake Conference(minus Tigers). What good team did Notre Dame have to beat today to stay in the playoff? Oh yeah, that`s right - nobody! Schedules simply are not equitable, so I think anyone in the Top 8 is capable of winning it all. Not so much below that.

can you imagine how oklahoma, georgia and ohio st games would be played today if there was a 8 team playoff now... i dont want to find out
See, most of these people who want to go to eight want to automatically include all Power Five conference champions, as if the all deserved it.:DRollLaugh

If Georgia Bulldogs aren't in the playoffs this year... i dont want to ever hear some hack or pundit on TV stating the playoff committee picks the 4 best teams.
There is no one with a straight face and football knowledge can say Okla. or Ohio St is better than Georgia .

All you do by going to eight is inject several pretenders.

I disagree, I think it adds a element of excitement to the football playoffs just as the "chicken do littles" add excitement to the BB playoffs and at the same time gives he smaller teams an opportunity to show what they can do and earn money for their respective teams.

Last edited:
If Georgia Bulldogs aren't in the playoffs this year... i dont want to ever hear some hack or pundit on TV stating the playoff committee picks the 4 best teams.
There is no one with a straight face and football knowledge can say Okla. or Ohio St is better than Georgia .

I mean it would be laughable to even try.

Maybe they are in possession of data and inside information we don't have. The controversy is rich anyway. I love it. I love it so.

I disagree, I think it adds a element of excitement to the football playoffs just as the "chicken do littles" add excitement to the BB playoffs and gives the smaller teams an opportunity to show what they can do and earn money for their teams.
Basketball doesn't take as much out of players and teams as football. They play enough football games as it is. And today was exciting. Go to eight or some higher number and this day isn't as exciting. Georgia had to know that a loss would probably put them out. Teams in their position need to know the probability of that. Playoff expansion works against that.

Reactions: Zann77 and Jpcooper
NO to a 6 team playoff!!!! Think about giving the Top 2 teams a bye. Assuming Clemson stays good, you want to reward them by playing the pathetic schedule that they play and will keep playing? Why in the hell would you want them to get a bye? If everyone played a similar schedule that might make sense. But it isn`t that way and teams with harder schedules shouldn`t have to watch other teams get a bye. That would be a huge advantage. If that applied this year, what would Clemson have done to deserve a bye? Yes, they are undefeated. So is UCF, whose schedule is probably as good as Clemson`s.

Yes, in the world of everyone gets a trophy, please! I like idea of a play-in game for #4/5 to take in a close teams with 1 loss, but what everyone forgets, all college games are playoff games. So Bama and UGA was a quarterfinal. If we go to 8, just means you can lose 1 or 2 every year and it don't matter. Just means 1-loss Group 5 misses the playoffs and a 3 loss LSU, Mich, Wash, FSU make it in. Bad idea!

8 is too many. 6 is just right. Top 2 get a bye week. Takes care of all the conference champions talk / debate + a couple with an outside shot. (95%+ of the time)

I could live with that, but 4 only means that at least one team would be better than three of the top 4 many times. At least 6 would fix that.

not only that.... but the #1,#2 and 3 seed teams will sit their best players in either or both of the rival games and conference championship games for fear of injury that would hurt them in the playoffs
I'm not sold on this. The backlash some coaches would face from fans and alumni alike would be deafening if they sat out their best players for the rivalry games.
Try to imagine selling that line in Columbus, Ohio, Ann Arbor, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Auburn, Tuscaloosa and so many others

ADVERTISEMENT