ADVERTISEMENT

I've said this ever since the loss to UNCarolina in the SR..

I was there for that super.

We had game one for the taking. Jordan Montgomery carried the second game. But that series crushed my spirits for awhile.

We dont have hitters get better over time, even one season to the next.
Quintessential example was Tanner English. Regressed over four years. That should never happen.

Didn't one if our OF's drop a fly ball that allowed 2 runs to score in game 1?

Pride, English was only here for 3 years and had a batting average of .298, .283 and .284. There isn't a whole lot of difference in those. That works out to about a little over 1 hit per 100 AB's. I do know the coaches worked with English to hit the ball on the ground more, but once he hit a home run it was like he tried every time up to hit one.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
Pride, English was only here for 3 years and had a batting average of .298, .283 and .284. There isn't a whole lot of difference in those. That works out to about a little over 1 hit per 100 AB's. I do know the coaches worked with English to hit the ball on the ground more, but once he hit a home run it was like he tried every time up to hit one.
It seems like we have a hard time stringing hits together or have that timely hit when base runners in scoring position...

I wish some of these players can be pesky hitters and put the ball in play...

Tanner with his speed should have been working on his bunting like Brett Butler.

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Originally posted by Kmart84:
It seems like we have a hard time stringing hits together or have that timely hit when base runners in scoring position...

I wish some of these players can be pesky hitters and put the ball in play...

Tanner with his speed should have been working on his bunting like Brett Butler.
There were quite a few folks kinda "upset" when they experimented w/English batting lefty until an injury kind of ended that experiment. I liked the idea. How many times did English get thrown out by a 1/2 a step on a slow grounder or a bunt. Coming out of the left-hander's batters box may have been the 1/2 a step he needed!

I don't remember our hitting being very good for years, even during the CWS runs. The main difference now is our defense is down at almost every position. People don't realize how many games our outfield won simply by how much they could cover the ground out there. As far as hitting goes, I just hate our philosophy and mindset. We go up there free swinging at the first pitch like no team I've ever seen. Their opinion seems to be the old adage of the first pitch is the best one you're going to see. Well, that certainly does not translate to hits. We also seem way to comfortable when we get a one or two run lead and act like we don't need to score any more.

It's the defense that's lacking. The hitting has been down since they changed the bat rules. The teams that won the titles weren't great hitters. They all played great defense and hardly ever gave the other team anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT