ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Bentley

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
Hoping he gets the start on 11/7 vs. Arizona

Bentley_Jake_2020_21_M_Footbl_Headshots_2174.jpg

I wish him the best- he was on track to shatter virtually every passing record on the books here before he got hurt his senior season... Never got why that wasn’t good enough for our fans. The guy was far from perfect, but he was a good QB and by all indications a good person. Hope he slays it and gets drafted.

Last edited:
I wish him the best- he was on track to shatter virtually every passing record on the books here before he got hurt his senior season... Never got why that wasn’t good enough for our fans. The guy was far form perfect, but he was a good QB and by all indications a good person. Hope he slays it and gets drafted.
I think the bigger issue was (and still is!) that Champ will never sit a QB no matter how bad he's playing. There were times when JB needed to just sit and watch for at least one series - even if it went 3-out. Never happened. Not once. Not happening now, either. That's on the coaches.

I think the bigger issue was (and still is!) that Champ will never sit a QB no matter how bad he's playing. There were times when JB needed to just sit and watch for at least one series - even if it went 3-out. Never happened. Not once. Not happening now, either. That's on the coaches.
I think the bigger thing for Bentley is he was not here when we had Clowney, Ingram, Lattimore, Dswag, Bruce Ellington, Ace Sanders, Damiere Byrd.... Playing around him. If he was, I bet he would have had comparable to success to what Shaw had. No way of knowing for sure obviously, JMHO, and his stats on less talented teams seem to indicate he was a hood player. A lot of whether a QB wins or whether he “progresses as a player” or not is predicated around how good the team is around him. Jake took over as a true freshman on a team with nee coaches that had won 3 whole games the year prior and had struggled mightily in the first half of the year under a diff QB and he won what? 4 or 5 of the last 6 to take us to a bowl? Kid can play, I think he had inconsistent talent and bad coaches around him. Put him on a better team with a better play caller and we would remember him the way we talk about Shaw I bet.

I wish him the best- he was on track to shatter virtually every passing record on the books here before he got hurt his senior season... Never got why that wasn’t good enough for our fans. The guy was far form perfect, but he was a good QB and by all indications a good person. Hope he slays it and gets drafted.

He was probably mostly a victim of poor coaching.

His completion percentage dropped each year. He also left on a very low note, with very poor performances against Akron, UVA and then UNC. He also threw a decent number of picks over his career.

For most, I think it just doesn't seem that he made much progress from his freshman year. He piled up some impressive stats for sure since we were pass heavy, but that never seemed to match up to the eye test. There are also some notable games that stand out...the 3 pick game against UK that we lost. Another 3 pick game against UF that we lost close.

I think the bigger issue was (and still is!) that Champ will never sit a QB no matter how bad he's playing. Not once. Not happening now, either. That's on the coaches.

Hey, if Muschamp takes the QB out, how would he know when to put him back in?

Tongue squarely in cheek here.

He was probably mostly a victim of poor coaching.

His completion percentage dropped each year. He also left on a very low note, with very poor performances against Akron, UVA and then UNC. He also threw a decent number of picks over his career.

For most, I think it just doesn't seem that he made much progress from his freshman year. He piled up some impressive stats for sure since we were pass heavy, but that never seemed to match up to the eye test. There are also some notable games that stand out...the 3 pick game against UK that we lost. Another 3 pick game against UF that we lost close.
Coaching certainly- but also I thought we saw normal progression from year one to two and the fall off you mentioned that we saw at the end for him directly correlated to- Debo not playing any more. His only real weapon on offense beside BE who was more of a consistent possession type of player than the explosive playmaker Debo was. Again, I just feel he got too much of the blame for a team that had diminished returns due to a broader lack of talent and cohesive plan.

Reactions: Brace1
I liked "Jack" when he was here and think he did a decent enough job. But he had a tendency to overthrow wide open receivers at times that drove me nuts.

Reactions: 92Pony
I think the bigger thing for Bentley is he was not here when we had Clowney, Ingram, Lattimore, Dswag, Bruce Ellington, Ace Sanders, Damiere Byrd.... Playing around him. If he was, I bet he would have had comparable to success to what Shaw had. No way of knowing for sure obviously, JMHO, and his stats on less talented teams seem to indicate he was a hood player. A lot of whether a QB wins or whether he “progresses as a player” or not is predicated around how good the team is around him. Jake took over as a true freshman on a team with nee coaches that had won 3 whole games the year prior and had struggled mightily in the first half of the year under a diff QB and he won what? 4 or 5 of the last 6 to take us to a bowl? Kid can play, I think he had inconsistent talent and bad coaches around him. Put him on a better team with a better play caller and we would remember him the way we talk about Shaw I bet.

SOS and GA would have turned Jack in to a stud, Muschamp is the QB killer...check the track record.

Reactions: Brace1
One thing I don't understand about Muschamp and QB's. He has said that he imitates how Saban runs things. If a QB is playing badly or a game is out of hand Saban will play the backup so why doesn't Muschamp?

SOS and GA would have turned Jack in to a stud,....
That would be interesting. I always felt the same about A1. How would have Anthony Wright done playing for HBC & GA?
For all the comments about the talent around Connor, it was still the QB that found ways to lead his team to 18 straight home wins.

That would be interesting. I always felt the same about A1. How would have Anthony Wright done playing for HBC & GA?
For all the comments about the talent around Connor, it was still the QB that found ways to lead his team to 18 straight home wins.
And Garcia was the QB that led his team to Atlanta.

Anthony would've had huge numbers in a modern day spread offense. He had the wheels and the Arm. 90% percent of the plays from the Shotgun, he would've been dangerous. That's our luck.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
One thing I don't understand about Muschamp and QB's. He has said that he imitates how Saban runs things. If a QB is playing badly or a game is out of hand Saban will play the backup so why doesn't Muschamp?

Other than taking a dump, I'm not sure Champ can do anything like Saban does.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hope he starts, dominates, makes a huge name for himself. Hopefully it makes Muschamp look even worse to see him go somewhere and play awesome. He showed all kind of potential his freshman year....but never improved under this staff. One could argue he regressed.
[/QUOT Very talented player who came here too late. Would have been a solid QB for Spurrier

Reactions: Carolina4
Anthony would've had huge numbers in a modern day spread offense. He had the wheels and the Arm. 90% percent of the plays from the Shotgun, he would've been dangerous. That's our luck.
I think there may have been the perception at one time that A1 wasn't too bright based upon his play at USC. A few years later I'm watching him on TV pick apart an NFL defense. That's when it hit me how poorly we managed his career at USC. He got a SB ring from '07 Giants.

I think there may have been the perception at one time that A1 wasn't too bright based upon his play at USC. A few years later I'm watching him on TV pick apart an NFL defense. That's when it hit me how poorly we managed his career at USC. He got a SB ring from '07 Giants.

The biggest knock on A1 was that he followed in the footsteps of 18.

I wish him the best- he was on track to shatter virtually every passing record on the books here before he got hurt his senior season... Never got why that wasn’t good enough for our fans. The guy was far from perfect, but he was a good QB and by all indications a good person. Hope he slays it and gets drafted.
We would sometimes find ourselves with a chance to win a game, TE streaking all alone to the end zone and Jack would throw the ball to the cheerleaders. Or he would throw a bad pick 6. There was something in his psyche that just would not allow him to reach his passing potential in actual games. That's a shame because he had all the tools. I do recall some chatter about his mechanics not being good. I wish nothing but success for the young man.

Last edited:
Because the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team. The only exception I can think of was Garcia when despite his inconsistency on the field and his consistency off the field people complained about Shaw getting playing time. It’s funny he’s so loved now when people often couldn’t wait to get him off the field for Garcia and later Thompson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT