ADVERTISEMENT

JBJ on the Way back over to Fenway

Hard to believe he's 31!

That's nice to see that, but wanted JBJ close to home to play for the Braves...

Big Sox fan here, and a fan of JBJ. With that said love his defense, but the he's just not that great of a hitter. I hope he does well, but I this is just a underwhelming development.

Reactions: taiwancock
Big Sox fan here, and a fan of JBJ. With that said love his defense, but the he's just not that great of a hitter. I hope he does well, but I this is just a underwhelming development.
Probably because you're a BoSoz fan and see it through that lens. With your Gamecock lens, I'm sure you're happy to see him still in the Bigs. It's a puzzle to me why he's not a better hitter at this level though.

Reactions: DrMickey
JBJ is one of the worst hitters of this era. He hit .163 last year--his third year below .200.

He's the new Mario Mendoza.

Probably because you're a BoSoz fan and see it through that lens. With your Gamecock lens, I'm sure you're happy to see him still in the Bigs. It's a puzzle to me why he's not a better hitter at this level though.
Absolutely, but if your looking at this through only Gamecock lens, then your failing to see that adding a lifetime .231 hitter is nothing to get excited about, and. most concerning is that he only batted .163 last year. Honestly, that should not be an everyday player.
No offense to any of you JBJ fans only.

Absolutely, but if your looking at this through only Gamecock lens, then your failing to see that adding a lifetime .231 hitter is nothing to get excited about, and. most concerning is that he only batted .163 last year. Honestly, that should not be an everyday player.

No offense taken of course. If anything it tells you hard baseball really is. I did think he would be a better hitter than he is though.

People forget he was at most the 3rd best hitter on his Carolina teams behind Walker and Merrifield. Heck he may have been behind Marziilli and Wingo. He was only an above average college hitter, but was as good as they come defensively.

The old saying was that baseball scouts could shake a tree and a glove would fall out but guys who could use the lumber were harder to find. I think it's still true today. JBJ can flash the leather with the best of them but just can't find his batters eye. Glad he was a Gamecock and glad he is still in the show.

Reactions: taiwancock
He did win MVP in the Division series the last time Boston went to World Series.
He sold some tickets for Boston with his glove and arm, not to mention his crazy, unexpected hitting streak,

If he had an average bat, he would be a hall of famer,

Reactions: caughtlookin
He sold some tickets for Boston with his glove and arm, not to mention his crazy, unexpected hitting streak,

If he had an average bat, he would be a hall of famer,
If he could at least get in the .280-290 range he could be an anchor in the OF.

If I recall correctly, before our Yardcocks won their first WS title, he was at the bat with one strike away from us being eliminated from the CWS (I think it was the CWS) and he hit that single up the middle to tie the game ... very clutch and count me in as one who is surprised to not only be hitting THAT low, but to be hitting below .250 period ... I don't disagree with Harvard Gamecock has said ... if I were a Sox fan I am sure I would have the same reaction/thoughts ...

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Well they wouldn't have won the 2018 World Series without his bat, ALCS MVP
And I appreciate his efforts for that ALCS but as you pointed out that was 3 years ago, were talking about what happens going into the 2022 season, and his career BA is very concerning.

And I appreciate his efforts for that ALCS but as you pointed out that was 3 years ago, were talking about what happens going into the 2022 season, and his career BA is very concerning.
He's a very solid player to have off the bench, and for late game defensive situations...also a veteran player with tons of postseason experience. Not a bad player to have on your team. They aren't bringing him in to be a every day starter.

He's a very solid player to have off the bench, and for late game defensive situations...also a veteran player with tons of postseason experience. Not a bad player to have on your team. They aren't bringing him in to be a every day starter.
As I stated earlier, I'm not ragging on JBJ as you may think I am, I'm just not excited by this acquisition for the Red Sox
Your a JBJ fan by association to SC, and thats fine, but despite your best efforts I'm still not convinced this is a good trade, and unless proven otherwise during next season I will continue to hold this opinion.

Reactions: gamecock disciple
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT