ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Fisher for Vols coach?

People say UT is crazy....or it could be so embarrassing if you go after 3-4 top name coaches and they turn you down.
What if we hadn't gone after Lou Holtz? What if we hadn't gone after SOS?
Lastly....what's worse...getting turned down by top coaching names or by guys who are half proven if at all as HCs?

Why not? He brings name recognition and appeals to the NFL ambitions of players that he could still attract recruits as UT goes through probably three years of probation and bowl bans. Hire a good staff and they could be deadly. Pete Carroll built USC that way - he just played CEO (and hype man) and let the college coaches do their job.

UT fans wants Fleck but word is he's not interested.

I don't know why any coach with a future would want to go there. Even if they admit all their NCAA violations, the case/penalties won't be finalized until after next season. Then you're looking at a couple years of severe penalties (apparently there is a penalty matrix that the NCAA can't stray from and multiple level ones is a two year post-season ban at a minimum - and up to five years.) And that doesn't include recruiting restrictions, scholarship loses, etc. That means a coach's first three years are moot (if they get the absolute minimum penalty). Then you'd better hope you have the horses to win the in the SEC by year four/five, or you're out. The fans will be forgiving the first couple of years, but not by year three.

Why not? He brings name recognition and appeals to the NFL ambitions of players that he could still attract recruits as UT goes through probably three years of probation and bowl bans. Hire a good staff and they could be deadly. Pete Carroll built USC that way - he just played CEO (and hype man) and let the college coaches do their job.

Hard to say how the transition would go. For one thing, Fisher is 63 next month. Considering that UT is likely looking at least at a couple years of penalties, he'll be mid-60s at least before they can start competing for real again.

Carroll had a decent amount of college experience before jumping to the pros. Fisher has zero college experience.

Hard to say how the transition would go. For one thing, Fisher is 63 next month. Considering that UT is likely looking at least at a couple years of penalties, he'll be mid-60s at least before they can start competing for real again.

Carroll had a decent amount of college experience before jumping to the pros. Fisher has zero college experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about the college experience portion. The two areas NFL coaches suffer from when they come down to the college level is the unwillingness to put the time into recruiting, and then not knowing how to develop kids out of high school (I call that the Charlie Weiss conundrum - dude could take a college product and make them into Tom Brady, but he had no clue how to develop an 18 year old kid with no college experience).

Pete Carroll did it right when he came back to the college level - all he did was recruit (even when kids were on campus - he got them to buy in every day) and he left the college coaching/development to his great staff. He was the precursor to the Dabo type coach.

It can be argued UT geographically is worse off than us. They can potentially zoom right past us with the right hire just because of their past. But that tradition was built in an area not traditionally known for good recruiting. Man I wish we had some tradition to recruit with. Some teams cheated to gain it (Clemson 81) and it has served them well past their probation.

...Pete Carroll did it right when he came back to the college level - all he did was recruit (even when kids were on campus - he got them to buy in every day) and he left the college coaching/development to his great staff. He was the precursor to the Dabo type coach.
Would that include the template for player perks?

Would that include the template for player perks?

Ha. It did (though that won't work anymore). I believe Pete's template was "don't ask, don't tell" when it came to player perks. The head coach responsibility rules don't allow that anymore (just ask Jeremy Pruitt).

I swear I think some of you dudes have a pin up of Hugh Freeze or Jeremy Chadwell hanging on your bedroom wall. Every football coaching job that comes open... ”they’ll hire Freeze or Chadwell,” :rolleyes:

Reactions: dallascock
I swear I think some of you dudes have a pin up of Hugh Freeze or Jeremy Chadwell hanging on your bedroom wall. Every football coaching job that comes open... ”they’ll hire Freeze or Chadwell,” :rolleyes:

...and, yet, nobody has.

I think you'd have to be insane to hire Freeze. Clearly he get results, however it is just as clear that he is a liar and cheater in all aspects of his life. Maybe he thought Liberty would clean his reputation - oops, not when you see who ran the school and hired him.

Fisher had a .500 or worse record as a head coach in 16 different seasons. I can’t believe he got to coach that long in mediocrity.

Fisher had a .500 or worse record as a head coach in 16 different seasons. I can’t believe he got to coach that long in mediocrity.

That's the nature of the NFL. It's not geared toward dynasties, it's geared toward parity. That's why the Brady/Bellichick combo was so amazing. .500 in the NFL doesn't mean you lose your job - it means you're doing your job. .500 means you're in striking distance of a Super Bowl with a few more pieces. Look at the Rams when Fisher was fired - he started rookie Jared Goff that season. Goff sucked, as rookies tend to do, but he was a missing piece. The Rams were in the Super Bowl two years later with a majority of Fisher's draftees.

I wouldn't worry too much about the college experience portion. The two areas NFL coaches suffer from when they come down to the college level is the unwillingness to put the time into recruiting, and then not knowing how to develop kids out of high school (I call that the Charlie Weiss conundrum - dude could take a college product and make them into Tom Brady, but he had no clue how to develop an 18 year old kid with no college experience).

Pete Carroll did it right when he came back to the college level - all he did was recruit (even when kids were on campus - he got them to buy in every day) and he left the college coaching/development to his great staff. He was the precursor to the Dabo type coach.
I agree with most of what you're saying here. I don't think you can discount one important thing that you haven't specifically mentioned and kinda said it without saying it that Carroll did great: he created and maintained a great culture there.
Of course its one thing to get a lot of talent on campus, the other part is development and retention of that talent. Also...I thinK Weis gets wayyyyy too much credit for Brady. I know he was with him his first 4-5 years...but so was Belicheck. McDaniels picked up coaching QBs right after Weis' departure and things continued smoothly.

Definitely not Freeze. UT President has already said as much with this statement: "You don’t clean house of a bunch of people who aren’t following compliance and go out and get other people that don’t seem to have a record of following compliance."
It would be career suicide for Josh Heupel.

No I said Freeze or Heupel and they're hiring Heupel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT