ADVERTISEMENT

Jessica Shepard and Coach Staley should talk

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Two-time All-Big Ten center Jessica Shepard says she plans to leave Nebraska to transfer to another school.

Shepard made the announcement in a joint statement with coach Amy Williams on Monday.

Shepard says she appreciates the support of her coaches and teammates, but moving to another school would be best for her future. She had no additional comment.

Shepard was the 2016 Big Ten freshman of the year, and she was a second-team all-conference pick this season. She scored 1,112 points in two seasons, the fastest a player has reached 1,000 in program history.

She averaged 18.6 points and 9.8 rebounds as the Cornhuskers went 7-22.

Shepard must sit out next season under transfer rules and then would have two years of eligibility.

Prolly the same as Kaela Davis...Jessica is a great player stuck in a miserable program(7-22)..My guess is she wants to play in some games that matter
Meh. That's a piss poor attitude though. Nebraska didn't get bad overnight, and if you're there to make a difference, realize you can't do it all on your own, and that building a program takes time. You shouldn't take your ball and go home because you're the best player on the team and no one is helping you.

Have not seen her play and am not sure exactly how talented she is. Big 10 is not a good conference, they went 2-3 in the tournament and nobody advanced to sweet 16.

From photos and the little film I have seen she is strong and has a good shot but appears slow and slightly out of shape. I have seen no defensive highlights and who knows what that means?

Would love to hear from others who know her and her game. But never turn down a quality big!

Transfers seem to be a much bigger part of the women's game than it is in The men's game, I don't think she should be judged harshly.

Piss poor attitude. I swear some of y'all need to get off your high horse. What were y'all doing at 20"? She's leaving Nebraska so what. She don't want to be there. Piss poor attitude lmfao
Only if she's leaving because they aren't winning. I don't know her situation which is why I asked. I should have made it more clear that leaving a school that is losing and was before you got there is a piss poor attitude. Be the instrument of change, not another brick of failure.

If she's leaving for other reasons, then those should be evaluated. But committing to a program that is exactly where they were when you committed and not being satisfied with that is dumb. Why even commit then? No high horse, I just don't see the value of wasting your own time if what is there isn't good enough for you.

EDIT to add I was honoring my commitments and defending our country at 20. Just because some people are irresponsible is no reason for everyone to be.

Change my mind. Let her go somewhere else. 40% from the field 55% free throw 102 turnovers! 7 blocks on the season and she is 6'4"?!?!

Appears to be best player on a very bad team. Somebody has to score.

Change my mind. Let her go somewhere else. 40% from the field 55% free throw 102 turnovers! 7 blocks on the season and she is 6'4"?!?!

Appears to be best player on a very bad team. Somebody has to score.

Broaden your thinking...Centers have a value beyond the stats...A true post presence makes the game easier on both ends of the floor...You don't have to be a genetic wonder like A'ja Wilson to be an effective center...Jessica is prolly not Wilson or Coates by any stretch...But she is a good center that can help our program while Dawns recruits in the next 2 classes can make the adjustment to this level...Wilson is a senior next year...After that it Alexis Jennings, LaDazia Williams and whoever Dawns recruits in the 2018/2019 classes...We could use a solid if not great center to bridge the gap

Reactions: gamecockblack
You are not a presence on D or even a speed bump at 6'4" with 7 blocked shots in 29 games.

You are not a force on offense when with fouls you shot 20 times a game and only make 40% and you have a 102 turnovers. That is a black hole sucking the offense to destruction.

Last edited:
I'm sure the coaching staff will vet it out. Next year's team can be pretty darn good with what's coming in and what's coming back. Of course, knocking wood that everyone who is supposed to come back, does come back!

You point out her not so stellar figures but you have to remember she will have to sit out a year so she can work on that. If she looks out of shape Dawn will get her in shape so that's another non factor. Obviously she was unhappy was she is so that could contribute to her numbers too. If we invite her to Carolina then the staff thinks she is worth it.

True. The key thing for SC next year, IF everyone comes back, is to have some depth so when there is foul trouble etc, it's easier to overcome. I like having Jennings as a true post so that South Carolina can give teams multiple looks - whether it is the high-low with 2 bigs at once, or the speedier lineup with just one big. Both have been effective, and it would be great to have those 2 options available for any game. Looking forward to seeing what they can do in the Final Four this weekend!

True. The key thing for SC next year, IF everyone comes back, is to have some depth so when there is foul trouble etc, it's easier to overcome. I like having Jennings as a true post so that South Carolina can give teams multiple looks - whether it is the high-low with 2 bigs at once, or the speedier lineup with just one big. Both have been effective, and it would be great to have those 2 options available for any game. Looking forward to seeing what they can do in the Final Four this weekend!

You are exactly right...Depth versatility and experience in the post is only going to make us stronger and more flexible...Wouldn't it have been nice to have a 6'4" bruiser to go into that ASU game and protect A'ja from all that physical abuse...I have no idea whether this young lady has what Coach Staley looks for or not...But i sure hope both parties evaluate an opportunity

Alexis Jennings is strong in the post but not a bruiser...LaDazia is more like A'ja than Coates..There comes a time when you have to get physical in the post

You are exactly right...Depth versatility and experience in the post is only going to make us stronger and more flexible...Wouldn't it have been nice to have a 6'4" bruiser to go into that ASU game and protect A'ja from all that physical abuse...I have no idea whether this young lady has what Coach Staley looks for or not...But i sure hope both parties evaluate an opportunity

Alexis Jennings is strong in the post but not a bruiser...LaDazia is more like A'ja than Coates..There comes a time when you have to get physical in the post

Definitely agree. Losing Alaina caused SC to lose most of their physicality and it almost cost them vs. AZ State who had lots of depth and they could play physical and not worry about foul trouble because they had plenty of adequate players coming off the bench. Lack of physicality and rebounding hurt vs. Florida State too. In both games, SC struggled with offensive reboudns. THink they only had 2 offensive boards vs. FSU. Wilson is great, just not a physical post who will muscle people out. Other players have to crash the boards too for more second chances. Stanford has lots of size, so it will be interesting how this game goes.

Go Gamecocks!

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Two-time All-Big Ten center Jessica Shepard says she plans to leave Nebraska to transfer to another school.

Shepard made the announcement in a joint statement with coach Amy Williams on Monday.

Shepard says she appreciates the support of her coaches and teammates, but moving to another school would be best for her future. She had no additional comment.

Shepard was the 2016 Big Ten freshman of the year, and she was a second-team all-conference pick this season. She scored 1,112 points in two seasons, the fastest a player has reached 1,000 in program history.

She averaged 18.6 points and 9.8 rebounds as the Cornhuskers went 7-22.

Shepard must sit out next season under transfer rules and then would have two years of eligibility.
We're at the point where we don't need to take good transfer players. We want great players. 6'4" or not, this lady is not great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT