ADVERTISEMENT

Job offer negotiations

Spur Crazy

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2006
Have any of you had or heard of a job offer being pulled if the person tries to negotiate salary after receiving a job offer?
Just had this happen. There was no communication saying take it or leave it... Or there is no room for negotiation. I was just as nice as I could be and explained if we take into acct the full benefit package (medical and 401k match) it would be short of where I am currently so I wanted to see if they had any room to increase. I didn’t even ask them to match. (I’m just ready for something different and willing to take a slight step back financially to do it if needed.) The hiring manager says he understands my reason for asking and that it’s part of the negotiating. He said he doesn’t think they would approve more but he would check. I followedup with him the next day because he didn’t call back the same day as he said he would,and when I spoke with him he said he tried but they weren’t able to increase and they decided to go with another candidate instead.
I’ve always been hesitant in the past to negotiate for this very reason but I’ve been told by several in HR roles that companies would rarely just pull an offer. If they do it’s usually because someone is being difficult or they found something on the background check. Now I’m sure I’ll go back to being hesitant to negotiate on future opportunities. This is disappointing because I was looking forward to this opportunity and now I’ll look back thinking I should have just accepted initially. Suppose it wasn’t meant to be as some have since told me.

With the current status of the economy and job opportunities like you said you probably should have accepted the job offer and then when you gotthe job proved that you are an outstanding worker and you probably would have gotten a nice pay raise on your first job evaluation. Like you said they mave have dug deeper in your background and saw something they did not feel comfortable with. Just guessing, but with all the schools graduating lots of people every year unless you went to an ivy league school, MIT, Harvard you may have gotten what you were asking for. Things happen for a reason and you need to move on.

Sounds like their hiring process is a little different than what I’ve personally seen. Typically all of the detailed negotiations occur prior to the offer. By the time I offer someone a position the offer is set in stone and defined. If you accept it, great, if not, then it’s “good luck” and on to the next candidate. Maybe the hiring manager jumped the gun a little and their higher ups made the decision. Anyways, good luck, this is still a job seekers market for the most part(hopefully you are in the right part).

Yeah definitely depends on industry. Agree with another poster, they probably had multiple candidates and were looking for cheapest route. I would just keep looking for another opportunity, one that’ll pay you what you’re worth. If the communication is that bad during the hiring process, who knows how bad it would be during the actual work process.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I have hired and employed many people, I will say it depends on the situation. If I approached you and felt like you were someone who fit and advance my business, then it is absolutely open for negotiation. If you applied to an ad for an opening knowing the job parameters, then for me it was thank you but we've decided to go a different direction. A big red flag for me is you are applying for a lower paying job and then trying to get paid more before you prove your worth. Another thought is maybe you are well compensated for the job you have and the looking to move down is a concern that you are never going to be happy in any job for the employer to whom you applied. You need to think how the hiring manager/owner thinks not what you think. Most of all your words count, you can't talk your way into a job, but you absolutely can talk your way out with 1 sentence.

be

HR here. Happens all the time. The negotiation of salary means you have not accepted the offer, and you extend the pre hire vetting process. At that point, everything is open to assessment again. They could have found anything.

More likely though, it's one of these causes:

They had an internal equity situation. Hiring new folks at near or higher than existing employees creates salary compression. That salary they offered you was probably based on some prior assessment about what they needed to do for internal fairness. And these days, that issue gets more and more attention as employees are emboldened to challenge employment law. HR and managers often have pitched arguments over setting salary levels long before you arrive on the scene.

They simply factor in your style in the offer/hire process and determine if they think you will be someone who will be a good employee/ coworker.

Trust me though.....they were already concerned about you taking a pay cut. In those situations, if they hire you straight out with no negotiation, you are already an early flight risk. When you signaled your further discomfort with the salary cut, they saw red flags, and pulled the offer.

Reactions: GarnetCheese
HR here. Happens all the time. The negotiation of salary means you have not accepted the offer, and you extend the pre hire vetting process. At that point, everything is open to assessment again. They could have found anything.

More likely though, it's one of these causes:

They had an internal equity situation. Hiring new folks at near or higher than existing employees creates salary compression. That salary they offered you was probably based on some prior assessment about what they needed to do for internal fairness. And these days, that issue gets more and more attention as employees are emboldened to challenge employment law. HR and managers often have pitched arguments over setting salary levels long before you arrive on the scene.

They simply factor in your style in the offer/hire process and determine if they think you will be someone who will be a good employee/ coworker.

Trust me though.....they were already concerned about you taking a pay cut. In those situations, if they hire you straight out with no negotiation, you are already an early flight risk. When you signaled your further discomfort with the salary cut, they saw red flags, and pulled the offer.
That last part makes a ton of sense - they would worry you’ll have regrets being paid less and wanting more heightened that worry so they probably figured you would be job shopping the whole time or pushing for a raise constantly

Have any of you had or heard of a job offer being pulled if the person tries to negotiate salary after receiving a job offer?
Just had this happen. There was no communication saying take it or leave it... Or there is no room for negotiation. I was just as nice as I could be and explained if we take into acct the full benefit package (medical and 401k match) it would be short of where I am currently so I wanted to see if they had any room to increase. I didn’t even ask them to match. (I’m just ready for something different and willing to take a slight step back financially to do it if needed.) The hiring manager says he understands my reason for asking and that it’s part of the negotiating. He said he doesn’t think they would approve more but he would check. I followedup with him the next day because he didn’t call back the same day as he said he would,and when I spoke with him he said he tried but they weren’t able to increase and they decided to go with another candidate instead.
I’ve always been hesitant in the past to negotiate for this very reason but I’ve been told by several in HR roles that companies would rarely just pull an offer. If they do it’s usually because someone is being difficult or they found something on the background check. Now I’m sure I’ll go back to being hesitant to negotiate on future opportunities. This is disappointing because I was looking forward to this opportunity and now I’ll look back thinking I should have just accepted initially. Suppose it wasn’t meant to be as some have since told me.

Don’t be hesitant. You best speak up for you. No one else will. Typically your best bargaining times are right when you get a job or when you’re holding a job offer from somewhere else

Now if you were willing to take what they offered initially but still wanted more, you have to understand part of that negotiation is potentially the other side walking away.

Learn from it but do not be afraid to advocate for yourself.

Reactions: USC2USC
You dodged a bullet. I wouldn't want anyone representing my company that didn't have the stones to negotiate. This is a seller's market. Some people are learning that the only way to really increase your income is to quit and get hired somewhere else. New hires are getting paid more than incumbents. It's like missing out on the house you like. Almost inevitably the next house is better. [insert favorite new age saying here] They probably hired a Tater. That'll teach 'em.

You dodged a bullet. I wouldn't want anyone representing my company that didn't have the stones to negotiate. This is a seller's market. Some people are learning that the only way to really increase your income is to quit and get hired somewhere else. New hires are getting paid more than incumbents. It's like missing out on the house you like. Almost inevitably the next house is better. [insert favorite new age saying here] They probably hired a Tater. That'll teach 'em.
This. When I first started in the hospital world I gained experience and within 6 years made two strategic job changes, and ended up making the same as staff that had been loyal working with the company for 20 years in the same position. If I had stayed with the company I would have gotten my 1-2% raise each year.

Basically they must be exceptionally trashy and you are lucky to know that now.

This happened to me one time. I went through 3 interviews, was super nice and said I would take the job either way but just asked them for like $1 more per hour or some stock options. They rescinded the offer. Now I am glad they did because they had every indication of being cheap losers and it was obvious that nobody wanted to be there.

Negotiating just depends on your stability. When you are stable, you can negotiate without fear and just go for it. If not, it will be up to your bluffing/negotiation/poker skills.

I’ve never tried to negotiate salary when job searching. I’ve changed jobs to better myself in terms of shift work, ie straight days as opposed to rotating shifts. The last time I changed jobs was nearly 18 years ago. I took a cut in pay per hour, but insurance was cheaper, and I cut my driving time in half. Looking back, I’ve received nice raises and a bonus each year at my current job. It’s all about what is best for you. I’ve worked a lot of places where I wasn’t happy, and I understand your situation. I wish you all the best with your career.

If you accepted the job and then negotiated. I could see their side. On the other hand, if you were seeking a sales job or a job that calls for negotiation, I would like that if I were hiring you. Also would depend on your attitude.

I work in the recruitment business and it depends on what they were budgeted for and what your range was. If they had a candidate they were happy with. He and hiring managers may interpret this as you not being happy with the pay that's offered and will assume you would be a flight risk. The best thing to do is let a company know up front what your compensation would need to be. That way you don't run into this problem at the end of the line.

I wouldn't have hired you either. If you basically complain about the job before accepting the job I can only imagine how it would've went after you were hired. Just my take.
You are the only one in this thread with such a negative view of the OP trying to better himself through negotiation. He wrote that he nicely asked for a higher starting salary. This is the United States of America and we have a free market which runs on negotiation.

The best raise you’ll get is when changing jobs. Otherwise if you took it, you’d be subject to the immensely detailed HR games that manipulate an employee into jumping through hoops, doing additional work, and making it seem like you should be honored to get a 2% raise with inflation at 3. No thanks. I’ve haggled at each job I had and after many years I started my own business. My improvement and satisfaction is how many clients I can win and keep with great service.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I honestly think some of these responses are insane (so maybe I’m the crazy one). First of all, we are in an employee market. Many companies are struggling to hire talent today - between stimulus packages that keep folks on the sidelines and increased demand for labor, associates can get paid for a move, and it’s challenging to find great talent to fill roles. In fact, if companies aren’t willing to pay more for talent, they will lose in this market. I can’t speak for your approach, but if an employer is willing to make a decision solely on compensation, then it’s probably not the best opportunity anyway.

When making a career change, it’s the best time to claim your value. Unless you are in a situation that require immediate income, you may be better off waiting for the right opportunity with the right company.

You are the only one in this thread with such a negative view of the OP trying to better himself through negotiation. He wrote that he nicely asked for a higher starting salary. This is the United States of America and we have a free market which runs on negotiation.
I agree with you. I’ve never been in a position to hire anyone. I’ve always been the guy being interviewed and hired, or not hired. I think the ops job and my job are in totally different realms. I merely posted my experiences in an attempt to encourage him.

Personally I wouldn’t accept an offer without negotiating compensation first . This may be against the norm but anytime I’ve taken a new job I’ve always been transparent about what I need to make . I feels this is important because it doesn’t waste my time or an employers time down the road . I’ve been very blessed that I’ve never been in a position where I absolutely had to accept whatever offer was available . As many have stated , it’s a workers market right now . I would be very straight forward about what compensation you need before an offer is made . Again I’m sure this is against conventional wisdom but it has always worked for me .

My wife negotiated her compensation. The job offered her health insurance and she wanted retirement. Seeing how my wife is on my insurance, she asked if she can give up the health insurance for retirement and they ended up giving her both.

I depends on the company who you are negotiating with.

If it was me, I would say let look over the offer with my wife and get back you in the morning. Take the job and if it didn't feel right when starting, you don't need to stop looking. Wait until something better is out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Apparently the company shared my view.

• Haha
Reactions: usc1855
Sounds to me like you interviewed and indicated you wanted the job at the pay they were offering. They accepted your offer to work, and then you said, but I want more money. The time to ask for more money is before you make the deal. Otherwise your welching on the deal that was just made. It's like you baited and switched them. Here's the price, ok I'll buy it, well that's actually not the price. If they can't trust you at the outset how can they trust you at all. Time to ask for more is during the interview so that's it's clear before they accept you as an employee what your offer to work is. Jmho

I like what world famous 3rd base hecklers stated re: his wife negotiating for retirement instead of insurance. Seems to me that employers may be able to sweeten your deal with something other than salary.

I'm expecting an offer in the next couple of weeks, and I might negotiate for home internet (reimbursement), since I'll be working from home.

Those of you in HR who posted your opinions, what are your thoughts about negotiating for non-salary perks?

This has been the norm in IT for at least the last 20 years (it was rampant at the time the dot com bubble burst). At that time you had even unqualified people shopping around for higher paying jobs at the competition.

Agreement does not mean that either you or that company act with class, decency, grace, etc. Perhaps you do. But perhaps you are both evil.
He asked them for the job. He was one of many. He asked for more.

I am honestly amazed to see all the anti minimum wage hikers on here take his side. Consistency damn sure isn't a Republican strongsuit anymore.

I guess I was raised different. You don't rock the damn boat before you even board it.

Reactions: heelzfor2
I'm of the opinion that everything should be on the table and discussed before the job is offered and accepted. Once it is offered and accepted, it's a done deal.

This company most likely moved on to the candidate that accepted the job as it was. The time to ask for more is after being productive and showing your worth, and hopefully you don't even have to ask, the employer sees it and rewards it. As an employer, I surely know which guys are getting after it and who is just going through the motions.

I wanted to elaborate on the offer I'm expecting in the next couple of weeks and ask for feedback, especially from those of you in HR.

Initially, I was interviewed (Zoom) by the hiring manager on April 1 (who is based in Savannah), and then the following week by the individual who would be my coworker (also Zoom). First interview went well, and I thought the second didn't go so well. I was told by the HR person that the hiring manager had narrowed it to two candidates - me and someone else.

A week after the second interview, I saw that the position was reposted on the company web page. I shrugged my shoulders and thought "oh well, just move on".

Five days after I saw the reposting, on Monday April 19, the HR person calls back, stating that they want to move ahead with my candidacy and that I am now the only candidate being considered. I asked about the reposting, and was told that it was due to some server error, and all those relisted positions should not have been reposted. They were again taken down within a couple of days.

They now wanted me to speak to the site manager (probably the hiring manager's boss) in Savannah. That ended up being just a voice call on April 22 (I was having internet problems that morning). I thought that interview went well enough. The HR person said that they wanted to move ahead quickly with my hire. I sent all the requisite thank you notes each step of the way. And then ....... nothing.

I wrote back to the HR person on April 30 advising that I will be in Beaufort for about a week in early May, and while in the area would like to swing by Savannah and meet he who would be my boss. No reply; nothing.

On May 7, I call the HR person and ask her for an update. She states that the holdup is that since the company is in the process of being acquired, those who need to sign off on my hiring have been busy with the merger and unable to sign off on it. She tells me that I'm still the only candidate. I mentioned that I will call back on May 19 if I haven't heard back from her with an update.

I sent her a text message this past Friday stating that I would be out of pocket on Monday and Tuesday, and that if she calls while I'm out of pocket to leave me a message and I'll contact her on the 19th. Her reply on Friday was that she'll be in touch next week.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail with this. I'm still looking at other opportunities, but again would like some feedback on this from those of you in HR.

I wanted to elaborate on the offer I'm expecting in the next couple of weeks and ask for feedback, especially from those of you in HR.

Initially, I was interviewed (Zoom) by the hiring manager on April 1 (who is based in Savannah), and then the following week by the individual who would be my coworker (also Zoom). First interview went well, and I thought the second didn't go so well. I was told by the HR person that the hiring manager had narrowed it to two candidates - me and someone else.

A week after the second interview, I saw that the position was reposted on the company web page. I shrugged my shoulders and thought "oh well, just move on".

Five days after I saw the reposting, on Monday April 19, the HR person calls back, stating that they want to move ahead with my candidacy and that I am now the only candidate being considered. I asked about the reposting, and was told that it was due to some server error, and all those relisted positions should not have been reposted. They were again taken down within a couple of days.

They now wanted me to speak to the site manager (probably the hiring manager's boss) in Savannah. That ended up being just a voice call on April 22 (I was having internet problems that morning). I thought that interview went well enough. The HR person said that they wanted to move ahead quickly with my hire. I sent all the requisite thank you notes each step of the way. And then ....... nothing.

I wrote back to the HR person on April 30 advising that I will be in Beaufort for about a week in early May, and while in the area would like to swing by Savannah and meet he who would be my boss. No reply; nothing.

On May 7, I call the HR person and ask her for an update. She states that the holdup is that since the company is in the process of being acquired, those who need to sign off on my hiring have been busy with the merger and unable to sign off on it. She tells me that I'm still the only candidate. I mentioned that I will call back on May 19 if I haven't heard back from her with an update.

I sent her a text message this past Friday stating that I would be out of pocket on Monday and Tuesday, and that if she calls while I'm out of pocket to leave me a message and I'll contact her on the 19th. Her reply on Friday was that she'll be in touch next week.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail with this. I'm still looking at other opportunities, but again would like some feedback on this from those of you in HR.

I don't work in HR...but this company is obviously not serious about hiring you. Would move on to the next opportunity, and not give the Savannah company a second thought.

That was my initial thought after the job was reposted. 🤔
I worked in HR for about 25 years. I think it's fine to negotiate for non salary perks. Just make sure they are reasonable. Internet is a reasonable request I think.

I don't know Atl, this situation sounds like it might be a little messy. Did you know the company was being sold? The reposting, the slowdown in the hire, the ownership change....is a little scary.

HR can be pretty rushed when things are very busy, and I've seen many hiring processes go into slowdown in these organizational scenarios.
But, we have come to a point where signature approval should not be a problem.

My best guess is internal debate about the position....not you.....and that is delaying things. Even if she calls today, you might want to inquire about the position's stability under new ownership. You have every right to inquire about what you are getting into.

You said the coworker chat did not go that well. Maybe that coworker was inadvertently giving you a hint about what you were getting into there. I would review that talk for any cues you might have received.

Of course, it could just be pesky, bureaucratic HR dragging their feet. Before you sign on, try to understand what might be happening behind the scenes. Good luck!

I don't see any of you HR specialist in here admitting that several companies hire a new person in a role to solely lower the cost to company for a certain position. Why pay John(5 yrs experience) $26.60/hr when you can hire Fred at $15/hr and most likely get the same results. So basically there's a million possible reasons they didn't hire you, so you'll never know the real reason. And if you ever run into that person again, whatever reason they tell you was the problem during the hiring process is probably a lie.

I don't see any of you HR specialist in here admitting that several companies hire a new person in a role to solely lower the cost to company for a certain position. Why pay John(5 yrs experience) $26.60/hr when you can hire Fred at $15/hr and most likely get the same results. So basically there's a million possible reasons they didn't hire you, so you'll never know the real reason. And if you ever run into that person again, whatever reason they tell you was the problem during the hiring process is probably a lie.

Us old people are pushed off the side for the bottom line of a company. But it's illegal to fire you because you're too old, so they lay you off saying the company is downsizing and turn around and hire a young stupid person for a lot less.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT