ADVERTISEMENT

Job offer negotiations

I worked in HR for about 25 years. I think it's fine to negotiate for non salary perks. Just make sure they are reasonable. Internet is a reasonable request I think.

I don't know Atl, this situation sounds like it might be a little messy. Did you know the company was being sold? The reposting, the slowdown in the hire, the ownership change....is a little scary.

HR can be pretty rushed when things are very busy, and I've seen many hiring processes go into slowdown in these organizational scenarios.
But, we have come to a point where signature approval should not be a problem.

My best guess is internal debate about the position....not you.....and that is delaying things. Even if she calls today, you might want to inquire about the position's stability under new ownership. You have every right to inquire about what you are getting into.

You said the coworker chat did not go that well. Maybe that coworker was inadvertently giving you a hint about what you were getting into there. I would review that talk for any cues you might have received.

Of course, it could just be pesky, bureaucratic HR dragging their feet. Before you sign on, try to understand what might be happening behind the scenes. Good luck!
It's not a new position. The former employee was terminated due to consistent poor customer service skills.

During my interview with the hiring manager, he did ask me if I was aware of the impending sale. I wasn't, and in talking with some of their customers, apparently few people are/were aware of the sale.

He asked them for the job. He was one of many. He asked for more.

I am honestly amazed to see all the anti minimum wage hikers on here take his side. Consistency damn sure isn't a Republican strongsuit anymore.

I guess I was raised different. You don't rock the damn boat before you even board it.

Lol. This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with minimum wage. Stupid comparison.

It's purely a. negotiation/courtesy discussion. He took a risk and asked for me. Completely normal. They said no and moved on without giving him a chance to accept the original offer. Completely within their rights to do so and it does happen, but that's not how most companies handle their business if they really want somebody. Obviously, something else was at play.

And Republicans are 1000x more consistent than Democrats. They flip flop on EVERYTHING. Follow the science when it suit them, don't follow it when it doesn't. Russia bad, now Russia not so bad. Pipelines bad here for US, pipelines good for Russia. Complete and total hypocrites and liars.

It's not a new position. The former employee was terminated due to consistent poor customer service skills.

During my interview with the hiring manager, he did ask me if I was aware of the impending sale. I wasn't, and in talking with some of their customers, apparently few people are/were aware of the sale.
Be careful.

Reactions: atl-cock
I just accepted an offer for 108k with benefits and remote work (Business Systems Analyst in IT).

My simple take on salary has always been this.....What is the PAY RANGE for this position, and negotiate for greater than midpoint based on the experience I offer. It works every time. If the RANGE is too low, respectfully explain that you are unable to accept the offer. Watch how fast THEY now want to Negotiate !

Reactions: smcnd and atl-cock
Us old people are pushed off the side for the bottom line of a company. But it's illegal to fire you because you're too old, so they lay you off saying the company is downsizing and turn around and hire a young stupid person for a lot less.
"Young, stupid"...
tenor.gif

From my own point of view, I think you did it right, if the employer was really interested, he would accept. However, on the other hand, I understand him as well. You are barely employed, and you have not yet been able to prove what you are capable of, so you are not yet ready to justify your salary. Every case is different, I work at https://firerecruitmentaustralia.com.au, and I have hired many people. The strategic goal for salary negotiations is a win-win result. The employer is gaining skills and talents of a new employee and, in return, the candidate is gaining something tangible and intangible -- a new challenge and his desired compensation.

Last edited:
I am now retired but when I was job searching, I had a strong tendency to stop looking after interviewing at a job I liked. People have told me that you should keep looking. Make job searching a job and put your full efforts into searching.

Last edited:
Have any of you had or heard of a job offer being pulled if the person tries to negotiate salary after receiving a job offer?
Just had this happen. There was no communication saying take it or leave it... Or there is no room for negotiation. I was just as nice as I could be and explained if we take into acct the full benefit package (medical and 401k match) it would be short of where I am currently so I wanted to see if they had any room to increase. I didn’t even ask them to match. (I’m just ready for something different and willing to take a slight step back financially to do it if needed.) The hiring manager says he understands my reason for asking and that it’s part of the negotiating. He said he doesn’t think they would approve more but he would check. I followedup with him the next day because he didn’t call back the same day as he said he would,and when I spoke with him he said he tried but they weren’t able to increase and they decided to go with another candidate instead.
I’ve always been hesitant in the past to negotiate for this very reason but I’ve been told by several in HR roles that companies would rarely just pull an offer. If they do it’s usually because someone is being difficult or they found something on the background check. Now I’m sure I’ll go back to being hesitant to negotiate on future opportunities. This is disappointing because I was looking forward to this opportunity and now I’ll look back thinking I should have just accepted initially. Suppose it wasn’t meant to be as some have since told me.
Two things;
1) You don't accept the job until you are completely happy with the starting salary. Period. Accepting the job then immediately asking for more money and compensation before you even start is bad decorum. Depending on small/large the company you plan on working for... salary/compensation negotiations are supposed to happen before you accept a job. This tightly coupled with HR and budgeting. Imagine if they were trying to hire multiple people and this happened with every candidate. There is a set limit on what they can offer and having compensation packages still fluid after the applicant has accepted sets off a lot of red flags. I applied for a different bank ~8 years ago and HR and myself were circling around an extra 3k in my salary and they were not budgeting for 2-3 days. I basically told them that I'm not trying to use this new position as a salary negotiation with my current employer. If they give me what I'm asking for I'll accept and sign that same day. Got a call back from HR 2 hours later and they gave me what I wanted. I found out later they were looking to hire another programmer as well and they wanted me bad enough that they took that 3k out of the compensation package for the other programmer they were trying to hire.

2) One primal fear of all employers and HR is for a candidate to accept a new position, get trained up to start delivering on the new job, then accepting a new position somewhere else essentially using position to toadstool to a better position. Any hint of a new candidate not being happy with the compensation they are offering is immediately a red flag that this scenario might happen. This is why it's crucial to make sure as a candidate you are happy with the compensation they are offering when you actually accept the job. After that, do the job that you accepted without qualms. It's an extremely small world and reputation is crucial in a lot of fields. I've been IT for 20+ years and capital markets 14+ years. I keep in contact with every single peer that I've enjoyed working with and every 3-6 months someone comes to me about a job applicant asking for information. Integrity is highly valued and breaking that contract with your employer causes ripples in your professional career. If you present yourself as compensation is the only reason why you are staying in your job... that attitude will be noticed very quickly.

Last edited:
I always like to stand up after the interview (before waling out) and telling them "I'll call you if I decide to take the job".
I had an interview once where half way through... some guy came in crying asking questions to who would be my manager. Everyone in the room was extremely embarrassed. After the guy left... I asked... "Is that the person I would be replacing?" Surprisingly they were honest and said yes. I was courteous but noped out of that situation very fast.

This has been the norm in IT for at least the last 20 years (it was rampant at the time the dot com bubble burst). At that time you had even unqualified people shopping around for higher paying jobs at the competition.
That's why in my field it's extremely rare to hire someone full time. Unless you have a massive amount of references and/or know the candidate... Contract to hire is a safe bet. When I started working in capital markets in 2007, I was hired as a contractor and it was literally a pit of contractors fighting to be hired full time. Luckily I made it out of about 15 other contractors. I'm pretty sure it's because I was initially paid very low coming out of a bunch of state and federal gov jobs and I was out performing other contractors that were getting paid 3X more than I was.

Last edited:
Reactions: chief2791
Two things;
1) You don't accept the job until you are completely happy with the starting salary. Period. Accepting the job then immediately asking for more money and compensation before you even start is bad decorum.

I may have misread, but I think he was saying he asked for more money before accepting.

Other than that, I agree with what you were saying.

Have any of you had or heard of a job offer being pulled if the person tries to negotiate salary after receiving a job offer?

I may have misread, but I think he was saying he asked for more money before accepting.

Other than that, I agree with what you were saying.
I misread this first sentence. I guess they simply offered him the position along with the compensation.
Typically in my experience; i know the window of expected salary/compensation before I get to the final stages of the interview.

When I was looking to get out of capital markets and start getting into home automation... After the first interview I asked what the expected compensation was. Was barely half of what I was making currently so I stopped the whole interview process there not to waste anyone else's time.

I guess addendum to what I said; if he didn't know what the compensation would be... absolutely no problem in asking for more once the offer comes in. I would suggest in the future to find out what their compensation expectation is for this position before it reaches the final stage. If they are off by a little; you could try to negotiate a little but be fully prepared to have the offer pulled if they have a strict understanding on what the compensation should be.

If he knew what they were going to offer wasn't going to be enough; that's a different scenario.

Another problem about negotiations; it works in reverse to the company as well. I've had dozens of people accept a job after negotiating a small increase in their base pay only to not show up on their first day. Either they used us to negotiate a better pay with their current job or found a better job after accepting our position.

I misread this first sentence. I guess they simply offered him the position along with the compensation.
Typically in my experience; i know the window of expected salary/compensation before I get to the final stages of the interview.

When I was looking to get out of capital markets and start getting into home automation... After the first interview I asked what the expected compensation was. Was barely half of what I was making currently so I stopped the whole interview process there not to waste anyone else's time.

I guess addendum to what I said; if he didn't know what the compensation would be... absolutely no problem in asking for more once the offer comes in. I would suggest in the future to find out what their compensation expectation is for this position before it reaches the final stage. If they are off by a little; you could try to negotiate a little but be fully prepared to have the offer pulled if they have a strict understanding on what the compensation should be.

If he knew what they were going to offer wasn't going to be enough; that's a different scenario.

Another problem about negotiations; it works in reverse to the company as well. I've had dozens of people accept a job after negotiating a small increase in their base pay only to not show up on their first day. Either they used us to negotiate a better pay with their current job or found a better job after accepting our position.
Don’t go back to a current job. The company will hire someone else and replace you at their convenience, not yours.

Sounds like their hiring process is a little different than what I’ve personally seen. Typically all of the detailed negotiations occur prior to the offer. By the time I offer someone a position the offer is set in stone and defined. If you accept it, great, if not, then it’s “good luck” and on to the next candidate. Maybe the hiring manager jumped the gun a little and their higher ups made the decision. Anyways, good luck, this is still a job seekers market for the most part(hopefully you are in the right part).
I got laid off from a job about 20 years ago. I had a promising interview two days later. I nailed the interview and was sure I had the job. They called me next day and told me to start in a week when they had my work station set up. And then they told me what my starting pay was. It was less than the president and I agreed upon. But I was unemployed so I took it anyway. I got two good raises in the first year as they saw I was good at what I do. I ended up managing the department.

Don’t go back to a current job. The company will hire someone else and replace you at their convenience, not yours.
Yeah, i've been firm with this thought. If I've decided to leave... I'm going to leave regardless of what they try to counter with my current job.

I had a situation where my director asked me how much of a raise do I want to stay. I tried to refuse that I had already accepted the other position. (Which I had) He asked me to sleep on it and come up with a number in the morning. I was scared to give a number because he might have actually met it... You constantly value your employees while they are still your employees... not when they are already walking out the door.

Man that brought up a memory from the back archives of my mind. New position offered to just me for pennies when I was around 30. I countered the offer and they got mad. Told me they weren’t playing games. Screw them. Worked out for the better. It will for you too.
When I got into capital markets, my first director was absolutely amazing. I was simply happy to be offered a full time job and it was much more than what I was getting paid from my previous state and federal jobs. I quickly accepted and he goes "No, you tell me no to this" and he pulled the paper back across the table. Then he scratched out the number and put on another 10k and slid it back over to me.
Of course my response was "And I say yes to this?" He grinned and nod his head. One of the best directors i've ever worked under. Was getting a good raise and bonus every year that matched my performance. The again... that was pre wife and kids and I had no problem averaging 60 hours a week.

Reactions: atl-cock
I got laid off from a job about 20 years ago. I had a promising interview two days later. I nailed the interview and was sure I had the job. They called me next day and told me to start in a week when they had my work station set up. And then they told me what my starting pay was. It was less than the president and I agreed upon. But I was unemployed so I took it anyway. I got two good raises in the first year as they saw I was good at what I do. I ended up managing the department.
Starting out after college, I already had working experience with IT since I was 18. I applied for 40+ jobs and got denied all of them only getting an interview for maybe 10 of them. Quickly realized how bureaucratic gov positions could be because a lot of them I was extremely qualified for...

I've been lucky not to be laid off from a job yet. Not ready for the stress that brings having to start fresh. Glad to hear it worked out (if managing the department is what you wanted). I took a big swing into upper management 5-6 years ago and struck out. I wanted that big paycheck so I could retire early. I thought I was ready for the stress level increase but that didn't account for working with a bunch of snakes and rats trying to protect their job and big paychecks. Not a good job fit for someone who's extremely honest and self reflects on mistakes made before pointing their fingers at others.

Anyone that has job market/interview/salary negotiation questions, make sure you hit up Franklin Buchanan of Post Up Careers. A Gamecock and great in this area.

Us old people are pushed off the side for the bottom line of a company. But it's illegal to fire you because you're too old, so they lay you off saying the company is downsizing and turn around and hire a young stupid person for a lot less.
I was told at the start of Covid that they did not want me working because it was too high risk. I was 67 yo. We also had a 68 yo and they told her the same thing. After 14 months, they send me a text saying that unless I can walk in and run the department by myself on day 1, I needed to retire. They sent the 68 yo the same text. There's probably no one in South Carolina that could do what they were asking. We both retired even though we both still wanted to work a day or two a week. And we could have helped. Screw MUSC.

Starting out after college, I already had working experience with IT since I was 18. I applied for 40+ jobs and got denied all of them only getting an interview for maybe 10 of them. Quickly realized how bureaucratic gov positions could be because a lot of them I was extremely qualified for...

I've been lucky not to be laid off from a job yet. Not ready for the stress that brings having to start fresh. Glad to hear it worked out (if managing the department is what you wanted). I took a big swing into upper management 5-6 years ago and struck out. I wanted that big paycheck so I could retire early. I thought I was ready for the stress level increase but that didn't account for working with a bunch of snakes and rats trying to protect their job and big paychecks. Not a good job fit for someone who's extremely honest and self reflects on mistakes made before pointing their fingers at others.
I was lower management at my last job. Another of the department heads told me once "The higher the ladder you climb, the more people can see you a$$".

I work in HR and literally hire hundreds of people a year. You did it exactly right. We make an offer, and you can counter if you want. If I can't do it, I tell you no and that the offer we have for you is firm. You can say yes or no at that point. They didn't pull it because you asked for more money. Something else is going on.

Glad to hear it worked out (if managing the department is what you wanted).
The job was actually thrust upon me. I wanted the paycheck of the manager, not the headache. I left it almost 8 years ago to take a work-from-home job that I've had since. I took a pay cut for this job. But after you factor out fuel, wear on a vehicle, lunch, stress of commuting, etc. it was really a raise. And I've been there for my family so many times that I couldn't have commuting to work.

The job was actually thrust upon me. I wanted the paycheck of the manager, not the headache. I left it almost 8 years ago to take a work-from-home job that I've had since. I took a pay cut for this job. But after you factor out fuel, wear on a vehicle, lunch, stress of commuting, etc. it was really a raise. And I've been there for my family so many times that I couldn't have commuting to work.
Yup, the job i'm in now i purposely took a demotion to get away from the stress. Still lots of stress but now it's purely on what I personally can deliver. I don't think I'll ever try to manage a team again unless I have 100% control of who is in it.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I was lower management at my last job. Another of the department heads told me once "The higher the ladder you climb, the more people can see you a$$".
The last .COM I worked for, they were trying to still be that trendy/hip company with all sorts of quirky HR and managers. I was part of their first attempt to do a true orientation and we basically learned about the company history for the first week. At the end of the week, they showed us this chart that was an upside down pyramid. They were trying to explain that at this company, your managers and senior people are there to help prop you up and support you to do your job. I started laughing and said 'From what I see there, the harder you work and more ownership you take, the more you are digging yourself in a hole'.

Luckily my manager thought what I said was hilarious.

• Haha
The last .COM I worked for, they were trying to still be that trendy/hip company with all sorts of quirky HR and managers. I was part of their first attempt to do a true orientation and we basically learned about the company history for the first week. At the end of the week, they showed us this chart that was an upside down pyramid. They were trying to explain that at this company, your managers and senior people are there to help prop you up and support you to do your job. I started laughing and said 'From what I see there, the harder you work and more ownership you take, the more you are digging yourself in a hole'.

Luckily my manager thought what I said was hilarious.
What is a manager? Someone who is responsible for the work done by others, over whom he has little control. You use the carrot, use the stick, give advice, beg them to do their best. And in the end you still hold the bag.

Yup, the job i'm in now i purposely took a demotion to get away from the stress. Still lots of stress but now it's purely on what I personally can deliver. I don't think I'll ever try to manage a team again unless I have 100% control of who is in it.
That's all I could think about while I was herding cats.

What is a manager? Someone who is responsible for the work done by others, over whom he has little control. You use the carrot, use the stick, give advice, beg them to do their best. And in the end you still hold the bag.
Preach!!

I told my wife that my dream job is riding around in a truck reading power or water meters for $10 an hour, and one of these days I just might do it! 😃

• Haha
Hey guys, I recently got a job offer in Singapore, and it seems that I will need an Employment Pass. The guys who offered the job said that they would help me get it. However, I can't quite understand the requirement for application. I found this article https://www.pilotoasia.com/guide/singapore-employment-pass. Being a guide, I would still like to ask somebody who has it already. Did somebody previously work in Singapore? How is it safe to move there? What are the benefits or maybe the flaws of that country?

Last edited:
Getting back to my "almost" offer from May 19, I discussed this with a recruiter friend of mine in Atlanta who stated that he was positive that my hire got nixed due to the merger (maybe the company was unsuccessful at getting my hire approved/completed in time). He interviewed a vice president coming out of that company for another opportunity, and all but confirmed it.

Last edited:
Just had this happen. There was no communication saying take it or leave it... Or there is no room for negotiation. I was just as nice as I could be and explained if we take into acct the full benefit package (medical and 401k match) it would be short of where I am currently so I wanted to see if they had any room to increase. I didn’t even ask them to match. (I’m just ready for something different and willing to take a slight step back financially to do it if needed.) The hiring manager says he understands my reason for asking and that it’s part of the negotiating. He said he doesn’t think they would approve more but he would check. I followedup with him the next day because he didn’t call back the same day as he said he would,and when I spoke with him he said he tried but they weren’t able to increase and they decided to go with another candidate instead.
I’ve always been hesitant in the past to negotiate for this very reason but I’ve been told by several in HR roles that companies would rarely just pull an offer. If they do it’s usually because someone is being difficult or they found something on the background check. Now I’m sure I’ll go back to being hesitant to negotiate on future opportunities. This is disappointing because I was looking forward to this opportunity and now I’ll look back thinking I should have just accepted initially. Suppose it wasn’t meant to be as some have since told me.
Simply put....you dodged a bullet.

Simply put....you dodged a bullet.
I prefer candidates who let their performance do the talking when it comes to asking for first year pay increases. It's a huge gamble (speaking from experience, having participated in many IT candidate interviews) to push for a bigger salary before accepting an offer that has been extended. Chances are good another candidate already lost out after being up front in wanting more than the advertised compensation.

If they made a decision based on $ alone then you should probably be glad you asked and keep looking. To me, that says they're possibly looking at you or whatever you do as a commodity and you're all the same.

Trust me though.....they were already concerned about you taking a pay cut. In those situations, if they hire you straight out with no negotiation, you are already an early flight risk. When you signaled your further discomfort with the salary cut, they saw red flags, and pulled the offer.
I see this is an old thread, but after reading this comment I have to say this makes the most sense I saw out of all replies. Didn't even think about it being a reneg at first

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT