ADVERTISEMENT

"Joyner can't pass well"

We scored three points. That’s pretty close to zero. Which is what I could score right now.

let’s just keep doing what we’re doing tho!

Dak should get a start

Reactions: DarkCock
I just don't get Muschamp's QB philosophy. It's obvious that Joyner should be given meaningful snaps if Ryan is struggling. We've been told that Joyner can't throw however he showed flashes once again last night of making plays with his arm and legs. Honestly it can't get any worse than watching Ryan throw the ball 41 times, and only connect on 16 of those passes. I'm not here to bash Ryan, because after all he is a freshman and has showed flashes of good things this season, however when he is off, he is off. Under any other coach, when a QB is not performing well, you try another option, just like any other position on the field. If the 2nd QB stinks it up, you go to the 3rd or back to the 1st option to see if they learned anything while sitting on the sideline. What you don't do is keep banging your head against the wall, and expecting different results (Mizzou, Tex aTm, etc..)

I get that Muschamp doesn't want to shake a young qb's confidence, but don't you think missing throw after throw, stalling drive after drive, not only affects the Qb's confidence, but the confidence of the entire team?

One thing is obvious is that this staff does not know how to consistently make in game adjustments. We were blessed with Spurrier and even Holtz, who not only would bench an underforming player, but would also make key in game adjustment's to put the players in position to win. Muschamp would rather go down with the ship.

To be honest, every skilled position for the Gamecocks have been managed horrible the last several years. There is no rhyme or reason how they are substituting QB and RB the last couple of years. No development at all but that is just me.

USCALUMNI

I’m not shocked at all about Hilinski’s play. I said he wasn’t ready for this level when he was a senior in high school, and I said the same thing after I saw him at the spring game. Other posters on this forum said he wasn’t ready too, so it wasn’t just me’ and I was still saying he wasn’t ready after the CSU and Alabama games, and then I let my guard down for a couple weeks and let the “sunshine pumpers” convince me that the kid was a good Quarterback. ;) I felt I was being too harsh on the kid and I needed to back off when deep down, ‘I knew he didn’t have it!” That’s why I never watched any of the tributes to his brother “although I’ve been at games, when he was honored I wouldn’t let myself get caught up in the “emotion of it, that way I could honestly evaluate the kid and I’m sorry he’s in over his head! Jay Urich should’ve got a shot this year and Dakereon deserves better, and that’s all I got to say about it right now!

Kind of funny, pumpers do not come around these parts that often anymore.

USCALUMNI

I’m not shocked at all about Hilinski’s play. I said he wasn’t ready for this level when he was a senior in high school, and I said the same thing after I saw him at the spring game. Other posters on this forum said he wasn’t ready too, so it wasn’t just me’ and I was still saying he wasn’t ready after the CSU and Alabama games, and then I let my guard down for a couple weeks and let the “sunshine pumpers” convince me that the kid was a good Quarterback. ;) I felt I was being too harsh on the kid and I needed to back off when deep down, ‘I knew he didn’t have it!” That’s why I never watched any of the tributes to his brother “although I’ve been at games, when he was honored I wouldn’t let myself get caught up in the “emotion of it, that way I could honestly evaluate the kid and I’m sorry he’s in over his head! Jay Urich should’ve got a shot this year and Dakereon deserves better, and that’s all I got to say about it right now!

So it's the emotional attachment? That would explain a lot. Otherwise, I don't understand why others can't see he's not ready to play in the SEC. His QB rating is down there with the QBs of Arkansas and Vandy. Objectively, that's the level he's on right now. The games we've won with him in there, he's been asked to do very little.

I would love nothing more than for him to lead us to a victory over Clemson on Saturday and render this discussion mute. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling very confident with him at quarterback. I sure wish Jake was healthy.

Reactions: Brace1
That only means - if true - that he's too small in other areas.

What exactly are you trying to insinuate with that comment? If you mean he's too small to be a running back, then maybe. But there are plenty of D1 running backs that are 205 lb.

What exactly are you trying to insinuate with that comment? If you mean he's too small to be a running back, then maybe. But there are plenty of D1 running backs that are 205 lb.
I think he was saying that even though Dakereon is measured the same size as Connor he is still smaller frame wise! It’s like an argument I was having with some of my friends about Kyler Murray. I said he was not 5’10 and they said he was, and I said he’s a small 5’10, because that’s basically the same height as Russell Wilson, but Wilson looks much bigger than Murray.

He's a run-first QB if he's a QB. He simply doesn't do well in the vertical passing game. In a run scheme you can dive for 4 yards a carry. Put Joyner in a pro set and defenses will crowd the box and dare him to pass all night.

That's already happening with our "pro-style" quarterback, which is why we can't run the ball. Our vertical passing game doesn't scare anyone.

RE: Joyner can't throw ... We don't have anybody healthy that can get open and catch, so what exactly is the point of having a QB that can throw?

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm saying straight out that, if the size you stated puts him at the same size as Connor Shaw, then he plays smaller. And how he plays is all that matters. He's not really fast and he gets knocked off his feet a lot.

Reactions: lostcock
I want this kind of speed at QB

and nothing against Dak, because I like the guy a lot, and I’m glad he came here, but someone said best ever from the Lowcountry, but wrong, because Bruce. Let’s get him the complimentary players (and coaching) Bruce had.

Go watch the spring game. He threw an INT to a guy standing right in front of him. this isn't high school.

Bruh

Throw5.gif

solid question
Joyner isn't a threat to break anyone's back by running, either. It's just that he's better at it than Hilinski. The man who can do both, the man who most resembles that boy at LSU, is still playing for Myrtle Beach High School. Nothing one-dimensional is going to make us competitive with UPC. No one we have is going to do that. I'm good with starting Joyner if that's what y'all want to. It will be more entertaining, if equally as ineffectual.

I think he was saying that even though Dakereon is measured the same size as Connor he is still smaller frame wise! It’s like an argument I was having with some of my friends about Kyler Murray. I said he was not 5’10 and they said he was, and I said he’s a small 5’10, because that’s basically the same height as Russell Wilson, but Wilson looks much bigger than Murray.

That's a perception vs reality argument. If he is measurably the same size and weight, then you're simply perceiving him as smaller. If he and Connor were standing next to one another, they would look the same. Connor would lower a shoulder into contact, whereas Joyner is more like Deshaun Watson. Not comparing their talent, simply that one invited contact and the other avoided it

Reactions: Brace1
Anyone who thinks Joyner is as tall as Shaw needs their eyes checked. I bet they also believe the height listed for Nick Jones when he was here lol

Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, all too small to play football. They should have chosen another path. RollLaugh

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
ADVERTISEMENT