ADVERTISEMENT

Just cuz.....

Deebo rescued us early in the season. I felt like it was A.J. Turner the 2nd half of the season that gave us a shot to win some games when Deebo was out. Not sure if he was the only back we’d run outside the tackles or if he was the only one that could get there...but he opened up the offense.

I’m excited to see what we can do with a healthy Deebo, a decent offensive game plan, and a little more experience.

And I like Todd Ellis. Know many don’t but I love the guy. But he is funny to listen to because he is pretty bad as an announcer. Nice “diving” catch...:D

Reactions: paladin181
Deebo rescued us early in the season. I felt like it was A.J. Turner the 2nd half of the season that gave us a shot to win some games when Deebo was out. Not sure if he was the only back we’d run outside the tackles or if he was the only one that could get there...but he opened up the offense.

I’m excited to see what we can do with a healthy Deebo, a decent offensive game plan, and a little more experience.

And I like Todd Ellis. Know many don’t but I love the guy. But he is funny to listen to because he is pretty bad as an announcer. Nice “diving” catch...:D
It stunk when Deebo got hurt last year but I think it helped the Smiths become better receivers too.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

Yep, with a pass that was "on the numbers."

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Best play of the year ?
For me, this is easy. Since best also means 'best when it means the most', it was Bryan Edwards (and Parker White) versus La Tech. Without that play, the view of our season and our outlook for the future would be much, much different.

First, remember...this was Louisiana Tech, a slightly better than average non-Power-5-school. This was Skip Holtz, and what was at the time, a minor headline throughout the week with the "Former coach come back for revenge" story. Winning this game doesn't earn us much respect nationally, but losing it? To Skip? The view of what most of us call a successful season for the Gamecocks was soooooo close to feeling much, much different.

With 21 seconds on a ticking clock, and zero timeouts, we had the ball on our own 45 yard line. We had almost no chance of pulling it out. It would take back-to-back great plays...HUGE plays. Jake Bentley had two receivers running deep on the right side of the field. What most of us don't want to know is, Bryan Edwards had his man beat, as well as the safety help coming over late. Like 3 yards behind him. Jake under threw that Hail Mary by about 8 yards. With 8 yards, Edwards makes a fairly easy catch and we win. Instead, the guy with the best play on the ball was the previously burned cornerback.

Just as the ball hit the defender for a fatal INT, Bryan Edwards, who had adjusted to the ball, took it away from the defender. We had a stopped clock with 11 seconds (soon to start running, though) and a 31 yard field goal to win. The miracle happened.

If we lose that game, there would be no Outback Bowl, no solid, comeback win over a Name Program, Michigan. And even though I always said it takes a few years of wins to sway recruits, if we lose to Louisiana Tech, we aren't sitting where we are with this upcoming recruiting class. This has been a great start to the 2019 recruiting class. Frankly, to most of us, it was unexpected. But that win, without our most explosive player, who was out indefinitely with a leg injury, saved what the season became...a season that could potentially be the season that catapults Muschamp and Crew to serious heights here. It could have changed our program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT