ADVERTISEMENT

Just heard this on Carolina's baseball program

searooster

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2011
I understand Ray Tanner is working on package deal to bring in a baseball coaching staff with 6 combined CWS titles, a batting coach with major league experience and the #7 ranked recruiting class for next year. Unfortunately, a group of experts on a local free sports forum are unhappy with this decision so Ray has reconsidered and firing them all and withdrawing the scholarship offers and placing a want ad for coaching candidates with better resumes. So far no suitable candidates have responded. Is it possible all these keyboard coaches gave Ray bad advice?

That's pretty good, but the bottom line remains that this year's staff didn't get it done. Fielding, pitching, baserunning, and especially hitting were very subpar for this program. I'm really not interested in cleaning house, unless the same problems occur next year.

giphy.gif

Dumb thread but what I find humorous is how so many people were convinced Chad was going to let go some of his staff. Today's announcement was so predictable. Our coaches have 6 combined rings, our head coach has been to five CWS finals as an assistant and each year since he's been manager we're getting further and further away from Omaha.

Last edited:
Dumb thread but what I find humorous is how so many people were convinced Chad was going to let go some of his staff. Today's announcement was so predictable. Our coaches have 6 combined rings, our head coach has been to five CWS finals as an assistant and each year since he's been manager we're getting further and further way from Omaha.

sad but very true

Reactions: RayGilda
The past didn't get Holbrook to the postseason this year & it won't win him any games next year. The only thing it "got him" was our 1st losing season in conference in 15+/- years, the 1st time we've missed the postseason in 15 yrs and the lowest team batting avg in 40+ yrs.

I understand Ray Tanner is working on package deal to bring in a baseball coaching staff with 6 combined CWS titles, a batting coach with major league experience and the #7 ranked recruiting class for next year. Unfortunately, a group of experts on a local free sports forum are unhappy with this decision so Ray has reconsidered and firing them all and withdrawing the scholarship offers and placing a want ad for coaching candidates with better resumes. So far no suitable candidates have responded. Is it possible all these keyboard coaches gave Ray bad advice?
77c.jpg

People who live in the past generally are afraid to compete in the present. I've got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them. There's no future in it.-Sparky Anderson

Glad to see the staff is sitting around polishing those rings and recounting their accomplishments from the PAST. Sounds like something the taters like to do...dwell on history.

You know...I really wish I knew some of you that post on here, in real life, that we were good friends. The reason being, that in whatever profession that ya'll are in, you must never have a down year!! Successful ALL of the time! I need to have more friends like that!

Those staff members you reference, our current staff, has our team getting worse every year, right? I cannot fathom what makes anyone look at our current trajectory and situation and think we will magically turn it all around next year.

Those staff members you reference, our current staff, has our team getting worse every year, right? I cannot fathom what makes anyone look at our current trajectory and situation and think we will magically turn it all around next year.

"...getting worse every year,..."
We had a better record overall, and in the SEC in 2014 than in 2013.

"...getting worse every year,..."
We had a better record overall, and in the SEC in 2014 than in 2013.

How did the season end in 2014? A loss at home to Maryland in a regional-worse than in 2013 when we advanced to a Super Regional at Chapel Hill.

How did the season end in 2014? A loss at home to Maryland in a regional-worse than in 2013 when we advanced to a Super Regional at Chapel Hill.
Where some of you guy lose credibility on this board is where you consistently refer to the past 3 seasons as some sort of clear decline in the baseball program, despite consistent evidence provided to the contrary. You don't seem to be able to distinguish the difference between a bad season (2015) and a bad program (multiple years of failure). We're currently in the first category, by any rational evaluation of the situation.

Now we'll wait for usual knee jerk response of...."If you can't se a clear decline in the program since 2012, then you're an idiot!!!" No, I don't see a clear decline since then, nor would any rational observer. I see one very disappointing season similar to that experienced by every elite program in the nation soon after winning or competing for a CWS title.

I believe our baseball program remains in good shape. Now I'll wait for the usual chimps to arrive and start throwing their feces.

Reactions: Tigerof66
The past didn't get Holbrook to the postseason this year & it won't win him any games next year. The only thing it "got him" was our 1st losing season in conference in 15+/- years, the 1st time we've missed the postseason in 15 yrs and the lowest team batting avg in 40+ yrs.

OUCH!
That stings!

Where some of you guy lose credibility on this board is where you consistently refer to the past 3 seasons as some sort of clear decline in the baseball program, despite consistent evidence provided to the contrary. You don't seem to be able to distinguish the difference between a bad season (2015) and a bad program (multiple years of failure). We're currently in the first category, by any rational evaluation of the situation.

Now we'll wait for usual knee jerk response of...."If you can't se a clear decline in the program since 2012, then you're an idiot!!!" No, I don't see a clear decline since then, nor would any rational observer. I see one very disappointing season similar to that experienced by every elite program in the nation soon after winning or competing for a CWS title.

I believe our baseball program remains in good shape. Now I'll wait for the usual chimps to arrive and start throwing their feces.

Sugarcoat it however you want. But if things continue in the direction they're currently heading, it will be a bad program in a few short years-especially if Holbrook remains manager and doesn't make any fixes.

Answer this question, it was asked by a sports media guy and puts things in perspective: How were you feeling last year when we played Maryland for the right to go to the supers at #5 Virginia. The exact same situation as in our first NC year when we were playing for the right to go to the supers at #5 Coastal.In 2010, we won the game, in 2014 we did not.
Therefore any "decline" is actually only one season + one game. NOT a 3 year decline as some want to make it out to be.

This season our team sure did not play like a team in good shape.

Fat Brad had a national championship ring. Guess we should've kept him.

In all seriousness, if men's sports stink again next year, tanner is the one that needs to go. It's called accountability.

Dumb thread but what I find humorous is how so many people were convinced Chad was going to let go some of his staff. Today's announcement was so predictable. Our coaches have 6 combined rings, our head coach has been to five CWS finals as an assistant and each year since he's been manager we're getting further and further away from Omaha.

Maybe we can stitch omaha on our hats!...oh wait....nevermind.

Sugarcoat it however you want. But if things continue in the direction they're currently heading, it will be a bad program in a few short years-especially if Holbrook remains manager and doesn't make any fixes.
Some fixes have been made bringing in JUCO players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT