ADVERTISEMENT

just taking your cuts in batting practice is not hitting "instruction" and

gridfan

Dec 7, 2001
Mt. Pleasant, SC
it seems that we have players that hit .350 in high school and our coaches feel they don't need any more assistance with being better hitters

Originally posted by gridfan:
it seems that we have players that hit .350 in high school and our coaches feel they don't need any more assistance with being better hitters
I've learned that if you're struggling, go back to the basics and start with the hitting tee and move to a pitching machine after getting your swing back...

This post was edited on 4/17 1:43 PM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

How would you know what goes on during batting practice on a daily basis? If you're talking about game day BP, then you clearly don't know too much. There isn't time for 1 on 1 instruction during game day BP. That's why a lot of guys get to the indoor cages early and work on things. We also have guys stay after games in the indoor hitting off tees and the pitching machine. But obviously, the coaches, who all have at least one national championship ring, don't know what they're doing.

Originally posted by LittleJohnnyGameock:
How would you know what goes on during batting practice on a daily basis? If you're talking about game day BP, then you clearly don't know too much. There isn't time for 1 on 1 instruction during game day BP. That's why a lot of guys get to the indoor cages early and work on things. We also have guys stay after games in the indoor hitting off tees and the pitching machine. But obviously, the coaches, who all have at least one national championship ring, don't know what they're doing.
This seems like a team wide epidemic of not hitting the ball... To me, it sounds like we need a full time hitting coach...

If you have to have someone teach you how to hit at D1 college ball, you shouldn't be there. That's not the coaches fault except that he recruited you

that's my point! how much actual 1-on-1 do our coaches give our

hitters?? who is the "batting coach" and what is he doing to help guys that are hitting under .200?? personally, I think Connor Bright has gotten worse every year instead of better and this is the coaches fault, look at his numbers, and don't tell me I don't know what goes on in practice when I question your claim that players are staying late and hitting in the cages after games, I'm not sure I've seen this level of commitment from our players that seem to take losing in stride

Originally posted by GoLongT:

If you have to have someone teach you how to hit at D1 college ball, you shouldn't be there. That's not the coaches fault except that he recruited you
I don't know if I agree with that statement...

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

All of these guys should know how to hit, but it's not always easy to see flaws in your own swing. Look at professional golfers. They are all better players than their instructors, but they desperately need those instructors from time to time.

Re: that's my point! how much actual 1-on-1 do our coaches give our

Gridfan, Connor Bright's batting averages by year are:

2012 - .228
2013 - .288
2014 - .311
2015 - .149 to date

So he hasn't gotten worse every year. If you watch Bright at the plate he is back to doing what he did in 2012, and that is swinging at bad pitches. In 2013 and 14 Bright was a lot more patient at the plate and didn't have that free swinging mentality. Thais year he is back to swinging at usually the first three pitches he sees.

Concerning batting practice on game days there is no time for instruction. However, I have been to the stadium on off days and out of season and seen players in the cages receiving instruction. This year I see players taking a lot more first pitches than in years past. Last night's game was a perfect example, Fulmer started a majority of our hitters off with a fastball over the plate. That was the best pitch they were going to see. Instead of being aggressive they were letting Fulmer get the upper hand and after that first strike he could throw anything he wanted. I was at the game and watched Chad's reaction on most at bats and he seemed to be frustrated at some of the pitches our batters didn't swing at.

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Umm, don't pro baseball teams even have hitting instructors/coach?

It could be that the problem IS with our batting instructor rather than a lack of one.

I've seen a lot of high school coaches ruin a batters swing trying to correct things. Not because they didn't know what they were doing but because they didn't know how to relate it to the player.

Changing a batters bad habits are not an easy thing to do. And anyone that played and has been around the sport a lot knows that when a player goes to the plate thinking too much he doesn't have a chance. If he's more concerned with swinging the bat the way the coach wants and which pitches the coach wants him to hit, rather than we he has done his entire career, the gears are turning to much to focus on anything else.

Just something to ponder.

Originally posted by Bigger_Stronger_Faster:
It could be that the problem IS with our batting instructor rather than a lack of one.

I've seen a lot of high school coaches ruin a batters swing trying to correct things. Not because they didn't know what they were doing but because they didn't know how to relate it to the player.

Changing a batters bad habits are not an easy thing to do. And anyone that played and has been around the sport a lot knows that when a player goes to the plate thinking too much he doesn't have a chance. If he's more concerned with swinging the bat the way the coach wants and which pitches the coach wants him to hit, rather than we he has done his entire career, the gears are turning to much to focus on anything else.

Just something to ponder.
I'm surprised you've even seen a "batting instructor." Not a huge need in t-ball where I came from.

Bottom line is no one knows what kind of coaching is going on during practices. The results on the field are terrible though. There is no way to know how much blame the coaches deserve. Our players swing at a lot of crap pitches in the dirt and are constantly getting behind in the count. No way that is all the coaches fault.

Umm, don't pro baseball teams even have hitting instructors/coach?

My point was that this isn't football where the kid had nothing but could run fast are he was big so he got a scholarship. These kids playing baseball at this level have probably had a hitting coach or a pitching coach since they were very young. I mean what is a coach gonna change? Ive watched almost all of the games and the only thing I can see wrong is they're not seeing the ball well. Connor Bright is hitting like 150 points lower than he was last year and he wasn't playing high school ball. they just need to go up there and stop swinging at bad pitches and quit looking at pitches right down the middle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT