ADVERTISEMENT

Just wanted the board to know

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Sunday was a life altering day for me. I was much more fortunate than my neighbors, I only got a foot of water in my home from the Gill's creek disaster. My friends and neighbors one street over had the water come to their roofline or even engulf the whole house

A lot of things got destroyed in my home but I evacuated in time and am physically ok. Many friends have offered their home for me to live in for the duration of the repairs so I have a place to stay.

Yesterday neighbors, friends, members of several churchs, even a contractor and his crew, and absolute strangers showed up at my home all asking ....what could they do. They helped salvaged not just my house but my very soul and spirit. I am forever in their debt and I don't even know some of their names.

At one point in the afternoon I sat down and just started sobbing. Several people noticed and came to comfort me thinking I was distressed. I tried rather inadequately to tell them my tears were not of sadness but from the overwhelming sense of being loved and cared for by all these people. It was a God moment.

If you can, help your neighbor or friends. Many hands are needed. Bring a fan to help dry the house, help tear wet carpet out, take their wet clothes home and wash them, HUG THEM, bring a chainsaw to cut trees up, help them save their meaningful memories in their home, PRAY FOR AND WITH THEM, bring water, encouragement and LOVE THEM.

If you can, help your neighbor or friends. Many hands are needed. Bring a fan to help dry the house, help tear wet carpet out, take their wet clothes home and wash them, HUG THEM, bring a chainsaw to cut trees up, help them save their meaningful memories in their home, PRAY FOR AND WITH THEM, bring water, encouragement and LOVE THEM.

From a Dawg who comes in peace:

Hang in there. It takes time and will get better.

Having family members go through the "great flood' in 94 in SW GA, just want to warn you of things you'll endure. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CLEANING OUT ANYTHING. Down there, snakes were as much of the problem as the water. They were everywhere. It's not just dirty water, nasty bacteria, etc. please watch out for the other critters that may have taken up residence. Wear thick rubber gloves, golashes (if you can find), etc.

Like you are saying, down in SW Ga, it was neighbor helping neighbor and everyone helping people who didn't know each other. Churches were huge in not only feeding, but housing the suddenly homeless.

Down in SW GA, there was a healing in community relations and I hope the same for all of you.

Take care.

You just spoke for me. My family and I had to swim out. The support we have received has been overwhelming. Despite the fact that I am looking at a steep financial burden, I too have accepted everything and will be a better person in the long run. Even the Clemson people pitched in.

God bless you all. We didn't get hit quite so badly in St Matthews. Even Clemson people are South Carolinians, neighbors, and friends.

You just spoke for me. My family and I had to swim out. The support we have received has been overwhelming. Despite the fact that I am looking at a steep financial burden, I too have accepted everything and will be a better person in the long run. Even the Clemson people pitched in.

Publix is taking up $$ at checkout in case you didn't know.

Please take advantage of anything the govt (state or fema) offer. Takes some pride swallowing but this is far better than getting in big time debt or wiping out everything you've saved for. You can even draw unemployment because it's a natural disaster and you might not be able to work for a while. (Key word with ins companies...natural disaster...make sure you use it more than "flood"). (or you could draw unemployment here in GA)

Help is your taxes at work! : ) Hopefully, your house will be better than before.

Much respect for your post. I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your things in the house. Glad you & your family were able to get out. Hope the recovery for you & your neighbors doesn't take long. Prayers for you & your family

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT