ADVERTISEMENT

Just wanted to say...

I admire the fact that he loves the Gamecocks and you can tell that he really cares about the outcome of the games. Obviously, he's an alum so you would hope he feels that way.

However, he does a very poor job with play by play. He'll call guys by the wrong name way too often. He loves to say things that actually don't happen, like phantom stiff arms. I generally try to watch/listen to the sfcocking highlights on youtube to get his calls of big plays, and it's impressively bad how often he makes egregious errors.

I got a new vehicle this fall with the free trial of siriusXM, so I've listened to quite a few games from across the country. Hearing other schools' broadcasters makes me realize how poor of a job Todd Ellis does.

as a carolina fan i love that a former player is the announcer. he just can't describe what is taking place on the field to make me feel i'm watching the game. he just doesn't have the it factor. he rambles on and i don't know what happened on the field.

I admire the fact that he loves the Gamecocks and you can tell that he really cares about the outcome of the games. Obviously, he's an alum so you would hope he feels that way.

However, he does a very poor job with play by play. He'll call guys by the wrong name way too often. He loves to say things that actually don't happen, like phantom stiff arms. I generally try to watch/listen to the sfcocking highlights on youtube to get his calls of big plays, and it's impressively bad how often he makes egregious errors.

I got a new vehicle this fall with the free trial of siriusXM, so I've listened to quite a few games from across the country. Hearing other schools' broadcasters makes me realize how poor of a job Todd Ellis does.

Yes, other play-by-play announcers actually describe the play as it is happening.

Reactions: purenonsense
as a carolina fan i love that a former player is the announcer. he just can't describe what is taking place on the field to make me feel i'm watching the game. he just doesn't have the it factor. he rambles on and i don't know what happened on the field.

Agreed. There was one particular instance where he was calling a gamecock defensive play. I forget who it was ran wide to one sideline where he was "swarmed by group of defenders, stuffing the play". Then he waits a minute and says the 8 yard gain leaves the opponent with 2nd and 2.

And I'm thinking, he made that defense sound like it made a great play, rather than giving up 8 yards. You just don't trust him to convey the action.

I appreciate his love for the university and team. He speaks and calls the game with conviction. I don’t think he does it for the money. That being said, I would prefer a professional who has that “radio voice.”

Reactions: king ward
I appreciate his love for the university and team. He speaks and calls the game with conviction. I don’t think he does it for the money. That being said, I would prefer a professional who has that “radio voice.”
It makes our product seem more big-time. Chester High School had a better broadcast than we have when Carlisle Roddey was alive. He was a hoot, but he could also keep up with what was going on.

Reactions: rockhillscot
People love to hate. Thats y people suck
I don't think this is people loving to hate. It's just a fact that Todd Ellis is not a great broadcaster. It's not really debatable. Listen to the guys other schools have and compare. Shoot, just compare Todd to our former broadcaster Andy Demetra, or go back even further to Mike Morgan.

Todd and Tommy love the Gamecocks, and I still enjoy listening to them from time to time. But they're just not very good at their jobs.

Todd would be better served in the Color Commentary role filled by Tommy Suggs for the past 500 years.
Like most have said, I appreciate Todd's enthusiasm for the Gamecocks and what seems like a personal interest in seeing USC win...but...he's terrible as a major college PBP man. Bad voice, bad skills.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Exact opposite for me. I played; Todd’s calls put me on the field, exactly where I want to be. Ive gone so far as to do some shadow playing in tense situations; the Florida game with Holtz when Watson blocked two punts will always stand out in my mind. I’ve read people say for years that they can’t follow the action, which baffles me because I have zero problem doing so; to the contrary in fact.

Wutever. I couldn’t give two craps about mispronunciations or 55 yard lines people like to chortle about. And the guy upthread that said that Ellis calls “phantom actions” on the field obviously never sat in the stands listening to the radio broadcast on headphones while Fulton called the game. (Disclaimer: yes I loved Fulton, everyone loved Fulton, nice grandfatherly kind of guy and a true legend. Actually liked him better on basketball games than I did football games.)

Exact opposite for me. I played; Todd’s calls put me on the field, exactly where I want to be. Ive gone so far as to do some shadow playing in tense situations; the Florida game with Holtz when Watson blocked two punts will always stand out in my mind. I’ve read people say for years that they can’t follow the action, which baffles me because I have zero problem doing so; to the contrary in fact.

Wutever. I couldn’t give two craps about mispronunciations or 55 yard lines people like to chortle about. And the guy upthread that said that Ellis calls “phantom actions” on the field obviously never sat in the stands listening to the radio broadcast on headphones while Fulton called the game. (Disclaimer: yes I loved Fulton, everyone loved Fulton, nice grandfatherly kind of guy and a true legend. Actually liked him better on basketball games than I did football games.)
If he would just call the game naturally and not be what I call FAKE by using these stupid phrases that he thinks makes him unique ( are you kidding me,touchdown carolina .touchdown whoever) he would be fine

His play by play is atrocious. He can't paint the picture of whats going on on the field. It's bad!!!
Anyone of you who thinks otherwise has no idea what a good play by play call is.

Mike Morgan would have been an excellent choice
Hell, stupid ass Liz McMillan ran Morgan and Rob Deboer off (sideline radio reporter), and kept Todd? She’s really competent? Hey, she works in our AD, so I expect nothing more..

Poor old Mike Morgan couldn’t find anything better than working for ESPN/SEC Network..😎

If he would just call the game naturally and not be what I call FAKE by using these stupid phrases that he thinks makes him unique ( are you kidding me,touchdown carolina .touchdown whoever) he would be fine
“And there’s orange in the end zone!”

“Put a garnet stamp on it!”

“Kiss and hug the ones you love!”

“And it’s a hiiiighhh spiraling kick.” (9 times out of 10 it was not lol)

“And he’s rubbed out on the play…”

“He’s to the ten, the fiiiiiive, touchdown!”

I suspect many of the haters just don’t like Ellis and it colors their perception.

“And there’s orange in the end zone!”

“Put a garnet stamp on it!”

“Kiss and hug the ones you love!”

“And it’s a hiiiighhh spiraling kick.” (9 times out of 10 it was not lol)

“And he’s rubbed out on the play…”

“He’s to the ten, the fiiiiiive, touchdown!”

I suspect many of the haters just don’t like Ellis and it colors their perception.
As I said before, if someone dislikes the job Ellis does, it's more because of his poor play by play than any personal dislike of him as a person. There are way too many examples like the video below of him completely botching players' names or just not calling what's happening on the field.

As I said before, if someone dislikes the job Ellis does, it's more because of his poor play by play than any personal dislike of him as a person. There are way too many examples like the video below of him completely botching players' names or just not calling what's happening on the field.

And yet he endures.

Btw, that video sounded pretty cool to me.

And yet he endures.

Btw, that video sounded pretty cool to me.
Which is why I've never said I don't like him. I always go listen/watch the sfcocking highlights after every game, win or lose. But just because I appreciate his excitement and love of the Gamecocks doesn't make him good at his job. The "Josh Brown" call is just an example of him talking all over himself.

Another example - the pick Brown through near the end zone against Clemson. I was listening on the radio and he said the targeted receiver was Joyner several times. I got back inside and saw the replay on the TV and it was clearly Vann. I guess you could blame the spotter for that, but those kinds of mistakes happen way too often.

Do you like the cookie cutter type who sounds bland, and has no heartfelt connection to the program?
I like Todd Ellis, 100% Gamecock type of announcer.

I’m in that generation that was graced with Bob Fulton. He called Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hell he even called a few Gamecock soccer matches. He was the ultimate professional.

I like Todd on many levels BUT....... he ain’t Bob. Says more about me and my generation than it does about Todd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT