ADVERTISEMENT

Justin McKie shares his thoughts on a Gamecock Legend

C

Collyn Taylor

From Justin McKie

Today the Gamecocks go up against the Arkansas Razorbacks in a game that is sure to be exciting and fast tempo. While I’m looking forward to being there and seeing the Gamecocks compete against a tough-nosed Arkansas team, I want to talk about someone close to me instead of focusing on the game.

Mac Credille, long-time Gamecocks equipment manager for men’s and women’s basketball, has retired this year and will be honored at halftime of the game. Mac has been the backbone for many years for the program, sometimes never going home at night to make sure that things are ready for practices, weight lifting and games.

Mac is a person very near to my heart not because of just what he has done for the program but what he has done for me personally. I’ve known Mac since I was a little kid coming to Coach Fogler’s practices to see my dad. Mac has always been kind to me and shown me love. It wasn’t until I really got to USC that I realized just how important Mac is to the program.

Mac is the most dedicated person I have met in terms of getting work done and making sure things are headed the right way. I’ve seen Mac working getting things done some nights at 2 am when I couldn’t sleep and went in to shoot balls. We had a joke while I was playing that Mac never slept because he was always on the move and always at the CLA or McGuire Arena.

I have two favorite Mac stories that I will always remember. The first story was the end of my freshman year I was down, had not played much, and was thinking about transferring. I had come into the locker room to grab some things and I saw Mac. He could tell I was down and he told me to sit down and talk with him. He told me some things that really gave me a different outlook on things, and ultimately that talk was a big reason I stayed throughout my four years.

My second favorite memory is the talk he gave the whole team before we began our NCAA tournament run. Mac gave us about a 10-15 minute speech in which he cried, told us how proud of us he was, and what it meant to him and all Gamecock fans that we were in the tournament and had a chance to do something special. That speech in my opinion is something that really sparked the run.

Mac has been the backbone of Gamecock Basketball for a long time and, although he isn’t the equipment manager anymore, he will always have a place in the hearts of every Gamecock basketball player that he’s encountered.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News