ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Gary will announce this week instead of Nov. 15 as originally planned.

I hope Coach Martin and company can land this guy. Our recruiting would really be on a roll.

Maybe we can finally land some of these top tier in-state players.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
I been hearing he is Bama bound!!! It true that's an absolute disgrace!!! No way we should be losing instate hoop studs to Alabama!!! Even if it is another AAU money deal, Coach Martin should have been able to seal this deal.. We were his leader for a longtime... There is no excuse

I hope he comes but to assume any good highly recruited instate player in basketball is a lock would be a mistake

Reactions: ansoncock
I been hearing he is Bama bound!!! It true that's an absolute disgrace!!! No way we should be losing instate hoop studs to Alabama!!! Even if it is another AAU money deal, Coach Martin should have been able to seal this deal.. We were his leader for a longtime... There is no excuse

The two most recent "crystal ball" predictions within past 24 hours were 1-Carolina, 1-Alabama. First time any destination other than SC has been predicted by writers. Not a good sign if they've heard something.

On 6/13 he raved about Alabama and said he had not heard from us much lately

Sounds like Bama and given Franks miserable instate recruiting not sure why I would think he is coming here?

did something change, updated info?

BY PHIL KORNBLUT

Special to The State
June 13, 2018 10:31 AM

Updated June 13, 2018 10:33 AM

Juwan Gary, a 6-foot-6 wing from Gray Collegiate, will take unofficial visits this summer to his final five schools of South Carolina, Clemson, Alabama, N.C. State and Virginia Tech. Last weekend he was at Alabama and this Friday he’s going to N.C. State.
“It was a great campus and facilities and it felt like home,” Gary said of Alabama. “Avery Johnson broke it down. Him being an NBA championship person, being coach of the year and actually being a player, he knows where to take you to actually being a pro. So being with him, the assistant coaching staff, they are trying to prepare you for the next level no matter how many years it’s going to take, and he also going to try to make sure you that you can be the best basketball player out of this.”

Gary has seen Johnson and the Crimson Tide in action and likes what they do in conjunction with what he does.

“Their style of play fits me very well,” he said. “Their style of play is fast, they get out and run in transition, but at the same time they have to play defense. But coach Avery Johnson he likes to go out in more transition plays, got out there and get the ball, rebound and push it.”

Gary said he will visit Virginia Tech the end of this month and he will later take visits to Clemson and USC. He will take official visits in the fall before making his decision.

Clemson and USC remain in touch but Gary said one is more frequently in his ear than the other.

“Clemson I heard actually from yesterday or today,” he said. “South Carolina, I haven’t heard from them much anymore. Last time we talked was a couple of weeks ago, I talked to coach Bruce (Shingler) and Frank Martin.”

Gary said he doesn’t have a favorite from his final five at this point.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-kornblut/article213086349.html#storylink=cpy

Bama.

I’m telling you, Avery Jonhson picks up a top 25 kid, coaches him up for a year and then sends him to the NBA as a top 10 pick and a multi millionaire. Frank Martin picks up a top 25 kid, coaches him up for two years and then sends him to the NBA to be undrafted and stuck in the G League making a few hundred grand. Parents aren’t going to buy Frank’s story. Put my kid in the NBA or leave me alone. That’s all these top 50 kids want to hear.

Bama.

I’m telling you, Avery Jonhson picks up a top 25 kid, coaches him up for a year and then sends him to the NBA as a top 10 pick and a multi millionaire. Frank Martin picks up a top 25 kid, coaches him up for two years and then sends him to the NBA to be undrafted and stuck in the G League making a few hundred grand. Parents aren’t going to buy Frank’s story. Put my kid in the NBA or leave me alone. That’s all these top 50 kids want to hear.

I know you are just reporting the spin, but that story is not at all fair.

Sindarious stayed with Coach FM for 4 years and now is making a salary of $1.3 million per year. PJ should have stayed and developed, and he would have made a lot of money, too.

Chris Silva will enter the NBA, and will become the next USC Gamecock NBA millionaire. Coach FM is a developer of players.

Reactions: roosterbell
I know you are just reporting the spin, but that story is not at all fair.

Sindarious stayed with Coach FM for 4 years and now is making a salary of $1.3 million per year. PJ should have stayed and developed, and he would have made a lot of money, too.

Chris Silva will enter the NBA, and will become the next USC Gamecock NBA millionaire. Coach FM is a developer of players.

Unfortunately he is not. Top 25 high school recruits shouldn’t be playing 4 years in college just to be drafted in the second round.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Martin_(basketball)

Look at that list of pro players. One guy drafted in the first round in Martin’s entire career, and that was Beasley, a guy Frank didn’t recruit. His track record is bad. Parents know it, players know it. His main recruiting problem is he doesn’t have a track record of putting guys in the NBA. Thornwell and Dozier are killing him. They were his chance. Two top 25 recruits. You can believe those two guys are brought up every time some other coach recruits against Frank and tells mama Frank won’t get their son NBA ready.

Reactions: wentzel25
Well... the CBs are trending away from us and reading between the lines of Sins tweeter rants, seems pretty obvious this kid is committing to Bama.

Disappointed we couldn’t land him.

Unfortunately he is not. Top 25 high school recruits shouldn’t be playing 4 years in college just to be drafted in the second round.

Look at that list of pro players. One guy drafted in the first round in Martin’s entire career, and that was Beasley, a guy Frank didn’t recruit. His track record is bad. Parents know it, players know it. His main recruiting problem is he doesn’t have a track record of putting guys in the NBA. Thornwell and Dozier are killing him. They were his chance. Two top 25 recruits. You can believe those two guys are brought up every time some other coach recruits against Frank and tells mama Frank won’t get their son NBA ready.

Again, I suggest you watch some USC basketball games before forming your opinion. Players develop under Coach FM.

Chris Silva was by no means an NBA caliber player 3 years ago. He has developed, and now he certainly is.

PJ would not have been a one and done player where ever he went.

Sindarious was rejected by Duke and UNCheat, and that is why we got him. He developed nicely in our program. No way was he a one and done player, no matter where he went to school.

Some players take a little longer to develop. Also, a player who earns several millions can be set for life with money management.

Again, I suggest you watch some USC basketball games before forming your opinion. Players develop under Coach FM.

Chris Silva was by no means an NBA caliber player 3 years ago. He has developed, and now he certainly is.

PJ would not have been a one and done player where ever he went.

Sindarious was rejected by Duke and UNCheat, and that is why we got him. He developed nicely in our program. No way was he a one and done player, no matter where he went to school.

Some players take a little longer to develop. Also, a player who earns several millions can be set for life with money management.

That he develops some kid ranked in the 100s into a solid college player has absolutely nothing to do with this. The guy has had 3 players drafted in a 10 year coaching career. Top 50 high school guys want to get drafted. They want to play in the NBA. Martin is not that guy. Hell, the last top 25 guy he got didn’t even get drafted at all. I don’t think people understand how hurtful that is to a program and a coach like Frank Martin.

People keep asking how he misses on this top in state talent. And that’s the answer. No one wants to be the next Dozeir or Thornwell. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. But people need to accept it as a truth. The most important commodity a college coach trades on in recruiting is putting guys in the NBA. And Martin’s got nothing.

That he develops some kid ranked in the 100s into a solid college player has absolutely nothing to do with this. The guy has had 3 players drafted in a 10 year coaching career. Top 50 high school guys want to get drafted. They want to play in the NBA. Martin is not that guy. Hell, the last top 25 guy he got didn’t even get drafted at all. I don’t think people understand how hurtful that is to a program and a coach like Frank Martin.

People keep asking how he misses on this top in state talent. And that’s the answer. No one wants to be the next Dozeir or Thornwell. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. But people need to accept it as a truth. The most important commodity a college coach trades on in recruiting is putting guys in the NBA. And Martin’s got nothing.
The only top 25 player he's had at Carolina is PJ Dozier. That's not exactly a good sample size to criticize Coach Martin.

A number of top 25 guys could go directly to the NBA every year if that were allowed. Where or who they play for in college has very little to do with them getting drafted. Scouts are very familiar with these type players when they're still in high school.

If you're attempting to disparage Coach Martins coaching abilities with this argument, that's completely rediculous. The problem is not his coaching ability, it's been his inability to attract high level recruits.

Reactions: 01fatboy
Some of it is the HS coaches and AAU coaches steering away from in state programs. It’s a catch 22 but many of them don’t feel these are big time programs in state. Not sure what it will take. Become a Nike school ? All signs seem to point to Bama which is frustrating.

The only top 25 player he's had at Carolina is PJ Dozier. That's not exactly a good sample size to criticize Coach Martin.

A number of top 25 guys could go directly to the NBA every year if that were allowed. Where or who they play for in college has very little to do with them getting drafted. Scouts are very familiar with these type players when they're still in high school.

If you're attempting to disparage Coach Martins coaching abilities with this argument, that's completely rediculous. The problem is not his coaching ability, it's been his inability to attract high level recruits.

Certainly hope you realize recruiting is a huge part of the coaching responsibility!!! Martin better upgrade that aspect of his performance in a hurry..! I don't care how well he manages! If he can't recruit his program will remain mired in mediocrity and the NIT!

Certainly hope you realize recruiting is a huge part of the coaching responsibility!!! Martin better upgrade that aspect of his performance in a hurry..! I don't care how well he manages! If he can't recruit his program will remain mired in mediocrity and the NIT!
Or making the final 4 again...

Which would be what? The second time?

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
“Clemson I heard actually from yesterday or today,” he said. “South Carolina, I haven’t heard from them much anymore. Last time we talked was a couple of weeks ago, I talked to coach Bruce (Shingler) and Frank Martin.”

I’ve been a Frank fan and defender but if we miss this guy this quote bothers me to no end. Our style is not going to lure a bunch of players here. Kid mentions he likes the fast pace...what high school athlete doesn’t? It’s fun to watch and gives opportunities for big numbers and highlights. So we’ve already got that working against us. You’d think we’d be all over the recruits to offset that, yet it’s been a couple of weeks since we’ve been in contact? Hope we land this kid. We can’t have lazy recruiting when we are missing out on in-state guys that can help this program. I support Frank and hope this isn’t true, but we can’t give recruits anymore reasons not to come here. Already plenty with our style and lack of success.

Reactions: 92Pony

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2013

If you're going to spout negativity, how about at least getting your facts right? According to the site we're on, Sin was the 43rd ranked recruit in his class and PJ was 37th - according to those rankings, neither one should have been drafted and Sin sure shouldn't have been the SEC POTY. Epic fail.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2013

If you're going to spout negativity, how about at least getting your facts right? According to the site we're on, Sin was the 43rd ranked recruit in his class and PJ was 37th - according to those rankings, neither one should have been drafted and Sin sure shouldn't have been the SEC POTY. Epic fail.

Or you could go to another site and see Sin was ranked a five star, 22 in the nation or number 30 composite. Or that PJ was a 5 star, 22 in the nation, number 25 composite.

Either way, the main point remains. Martin doesn’t put guys in the NBA and that perception kills him when trying to recruit top kids. Sin said it all yesterday in his Twitter rant. He was spot on. Everyone knows what other coaches are selling these top kids and Frank doesn’t have the history of producing NBA players to compete.

Or you could go to another site and see Sin was ranked a five star, 22 in the nation or number 30 composite. Or that PJ was a 5 star, 22 in the nation, number 25 composite.

Either way, the main point remains. Martin doesn’t put guys in the NBA and that perception kills him when trying to recruit top kids. Sin said it all yesterday in his Twitter rant. He was spot on. Everyone knows what other coaches are selling these top kids and Frank doesn’t have the history of producing NBA players to compete.
who has Bama put in??

Collin Sexton was just drafted 8th overall by the Cavs. No doubt Bama is capitalizing off this. Avery Johnson as a coach doesn’t hurt either. He’s won a championship as a PG and coached in the NBA. Therefore he is supposed to know what it takes to get to the NBA.

Avery Johnson is a top notch recruiter, he had the #7 class in 2017, Martin is not in his league as a recruiter.

7. ALABAMA

#7 class in 2017

Commits: PG

Collin Sexton
(No. 8), SG
John Petty
(No. 28), SF
Herb Jones
(No. 90), PF
Alex Reese
(No. 99), C
Galen Smith
(NR 3-star).

Overview: In Sexton, Avery Johnson has landed an explosive scorer who plays with swagger and energy. Petty is a homegrown wing guard with versatility and size while Jones is a lanky shooter with great size and deep range and will arrive in Tuscaloosa with significant upside. Reese is a skilled four man who has good agility and a good frame to build on in the weight room. Smith is the x-factor of the bunch given that he’s raw offensively but has top end SEC athleticism.

It’s also easier to recruit to Alabama than to SC. Not saying you aren’t right but we can’t forget that we have been the worst team in the conference since we’ve joined it. We’ve had a good season here and there but that’s it. I wouldn’t blame Martin for ALL the lack of success recruiting. He’s not the 1st coach in-state guys would pass on. In fact he at least landed 2 of them. I’m more concerned that we haven’t contacted a top recruit in 2 weeks in the midst of a recruiting battle. Then again, Martin may already know the kid isn’t coming.

On 6/13 he raved about Alabama and said he had not heard from us much lately

Sounds like Bama and given Franks miserable instate recruiting not sure why I would think he is coming here?

did something change, updated info?

BY PHIL KORNBLUT

Special to The State
June 13, 2018 10:31 AM

Updated June 13, 2018 10:33 AM

Juwan Gary, a 6-foot-6 wing from Gray Collegiate, will take unofficial visits this summer to his final five schools of South Carolina, Clemson, Alabama, N.C. State and Virginia Tech. Last weekend he was at Alabama and this Friday he’s going to N.C. State.
“It was a great campus and facilities and it felt like home,” Gary said of Alabama. “Avery Johnson broke it down. Him being an NBA championship person, being coach of the year and actually being a player, he knows where to take you to actually being a pro. So being with him, the assistant coaching staff, they are trying to prepare you for the next level no matter how many years it’s going to take, and he also going to try to make sure you that you can be the best basketball player out of this.”

Gary has seen Johnson and the Crimson Tide in action and likes what they do in conjunction with what he does.

“Their style of play fits me very well,” he said. “Their style of play is fast, they get out and run in transition, but at the same time they have to play defense. But coach Avery Johnson he likes to go out in more transition plays, got out there and get the ball, rebound and push it.”

Gary said he will visit Virginia Tech the end of this month and he will later take visits to Clemson and USC. He will take official visits in the fall before making his decision.

Clemson and USC remain in touch but Gary said one is more frequently in his ear than the other.

Gary said he doesn’t have a favorite from his final five at this point.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-kornblut/article213086349.html#storylink=cpy

Same ole, same ole. Remember hearing this a lot the last three years of Spurrier's tenure....and it didn't work out well. This won't either. That is simply uncalled for....literally and figuratively.

Same ole, same ole. Remember hearing this a lot the last three years of Spurrier's tenure....and it didn't work out well. This won't either. That is simply uncalled for....literally and figuratively.

I hope you are wrong but I had the same exact reaction. I’ve defended Frank the whole time but seeing that quote bothered me tremendously and reminded me so much of the end of the Spurrier days. Again, there may be a reason we backed off. But at this point it would have to be a dang good reason as we should be all over these guys trying to get them here. Frank preaches out working on the court...he should be out working everyone on the recruiting trail. I could live will missing a few players then. But if this is the norm I’m sure we’ve missed on a few better players and as you said, this won’t end well. Between the revolving door of players leaving and now this...starting to think the end is near for Frank. I hope I’m wrong. But if guys won’t come and stay, Frank won’t be able to develop them.

"No one wants to be the next Dozeir or Thornwell. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong."

What do you mean no one wants to be the next Thornwell??? Thornwell is making $1.3 million!!! All he needs is good financial advice!

I hope Coach Martin and company can land this guy. Our recruiting would really be on a roll.

Maybe we can finally land some of these top tier in-state players.

......................................... nice to have one stay from time to time..........would probably be an improvement

Reactions: ansoncock
Collin Sexton was just drafted 8th overall by the Cavs. No doubt Bama is capitalizing off this. Avery Johnson as a coach doesn’t hurt either. He’s won a championship as a PG and coached in the NBA. Therefore he is supposed to know what it takes to get to the NBA.
Thats they one
giphy.gif

"No one wants to be the next Dozeir or Thornwell. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong."

What do you mean no one wants to be the next Thornwell??? Thornwell is making $1.3 million!!! All he needs is good financial advice!
1.3 Mill a year is garbage in NBA terms. The aforementioned one-and-done Collin Sexton from Alabama hasn't stepped foot on the court yet, and is making more than $5 million a year. Whose position would you rather be in?
Recruits see this, and it doesn't make us look like the best option. Until CFM starts consistently churning out NBA players, our recruiting will likely go this way.

1.3 Mill a year is garbage in NBA terms. The aforementioned one-and-done Collin Sexton from Alabama hasn't stepped foot on the court yet, and is making more than $5 million a year. Whose position would you rather be in?
Recruits see this, and it doesn't make us look like the best option. Until CFM starts consistently churning out NBA players, our recruiting will likely go this way.
In fairness

Sindarius Thornwell was never a one and done player. It took several years for him to develop. I do not know anything about Collin Sexton. You could inadvertently be comparing apples to oranges.

Coach FM will never coach a one and done NBA mill type of team. It isn't his style. And, if he can only recruit a little higher talent, he doesn't have to change his style to be highly competitive. Look at USC's victory over Duke the year before last. Their talent level was way above ours, on average.

Coach FM must start winning some more recruiting battles if he is to remain competitive at USC.

College basketball may be ready for change:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ix-college-basketball-now-collapse/596276002/

Reactions: rogue cock
In fairness

Coach FM will never coach a one and done NBA mill type of team. It isn't his style. And, if he can only recruit a little higher talent, he doesn't have to change his style to be highly competitive. Look at USC's victory over Duke the year before last. Their talent level was way above ours, on average.

Coach FM must start winning some more recruiting battles if he is to remain competitive at USC.

College basketball may be ready for change:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ix-college-basketball-now-collapse/596276002/
Honestly, I think I just don't like that style. While we got a great Final 4 run out of it, that was his most talented team here, which had a lot to do with it imo. Saying "I'm going to get the 3-star kids and some transfers, then coach them up," really stacks the deck against your team from the opening tip. It's not impossible to win that way, but it's a hell of a lot harder.

I think everyone would prefer to have 4* and 5* players. But who was the last SC coach that consistently landed those guys?? Truth is Martin has recruited better than Horn or Odom. Could it be this is a tough place to recruit?

Reactions: roosterbell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT