ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Gary will announce this week instead of Nov. 15 as originally planned.

I think everyone would prefer to have 4* and 5* players. But who was the last SC coach that consistently landed those guys?? Truth is Martin has recruited better than Horn or Odom. Could it be this is a tough place to recruit?
This is without a doubt a very difficult area of the country to recruit. We sit just south of Tobacco Road and how many recruiting battles have we lost to those schools in recent years.

Combine that with having very little on court success and modern era tradtion, and you have huge recruiting obstacles that are difficult for any coach to overcome.

There's no way coach Martin is intentionally missing on these high level recruits. I'm just hoping he can find a way to get over this hump because he's clearly a very good coach. It's a vicious cycle that's frustrating for us as fans. Hopefully this staff(or maybe an addition to this staff) can eventually get us over the hump.

I really think we need to show patience at least the next few years, because another coaching change may only set us back even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: ansoncock
I think everyone would prefer to have 4* and 5* players. But who was the last SC coach that consistently landed those guys?? Truth is Martin has recruited better than Horn or Odom. Could it be this is a tough place to recruit?
I can remember when Alabama was a football school, and had a horrible basketball team. They just, at that time, put all their eggs in the football basket. At one time Alabama was a hard place to recruit from.

I can remember when Alabama was a football school, and had a horrible basketball team. They just, at that time, put all their eggs in the football basket. At one time Alabama was a hard place to recruit from.

They are still a football school but have had way more success than us in basketball outside of our Final Four. They have a legendary coach in Wimp Sanderson that provides at least a little bit of history. Our legendary coach accomplished more at UNC, a school we lose these high profile recruits to. Alabama had Latrell Sprewell and Robert Horry on the same team. They rank 2nd behind UK in wins and SEC Tournament Championships. They are 3rd in regular season titles. They’ve been to the Sweet 16 eight times and the elite 8 once. We’ve been to the NCAA tournament twice this century and they’ve been 7. They aren’t Duke or Kentucky, but they’ve been better than SC. Everyone in the SEC has been better than SC since we joined the league. This is the most difficult job in the SEC. There is a reason Billy Donovan told Anthony Grant not to take the SC job. Even opposing coaches know how hard it is to get players here. SC has to win with less talent for a period of time before better players will finally come here.

Last edited:
They are still a football school but have had way more success than us in basketball outside of our Final Four. They have a legendary coach in Wimp Sanderson that provides at least a little bit of history. Our legendary coach accomplished more at UNC, a school we lose these high profile recruits to. Alabama had Latrell Sprewell and Robert Horry on the same team. They rank 2nd behind UK in wins and SEC Tournament Championships. They are 3rd in regular season titles. They’ve been to the Sweet 16 eight times and the elite 8 once. We’ve been to the NCAA tournament twice this century and they’ve been 7. They aren’t Duke or Kentucky, but they’ve been better than SC. Everyone in the SEC has been better than SC since we joined the league. This is the most difficult job in the SEC. There is a reason Billy Donovan told Anthony Grant not to take the SC job. Even opposing coaches know how hard it is to get players here. SC has to win with less talent for a period of time before better players will finally come here.
Need a coach who can coach......AND recruit. Should've never fired Felton. Fogler did well here....but the changes in recruiting did him in eventually. Passed on one who many believe could've made a big difference.....though we will never know.

Need a coach who can coach......AND recruit. Should've never HIRED Felton. Fogler did well here....but the changes in recruiting did him in eventually. Passed on one who many believe could've made a big difference.....though we will never know.

FIFY
I realize that my correction will not be a popular one, but absolutely cannot believe in a thread on recruiting & putting people in the NBA, anyone can actually think we should've kept Felton.

I base this on Felton's last 2 recruiting classes. Look at those classes, how many contributed, how many finished at USC?

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Bama.

I’m telling you, Avery Jonhson picks up a top 25 kid, coaches him up for a year and then sends him to the NBA as a top 10 pick and a multi millionaire. Frank Martin picks up a top 25 kid, coaches him up for two years and then sends him to the NBA to be undrafted and stuck in the G League making a few hundred grand. Parents aren’t going to buy Frank’s story. Put my kid in the NBA or leave me alone. That’s all these top 50 kids want to hear.

I think I could coach a kid for one year, and send him to the NBA too ... provided he was good enough coming out of HS that he could have been a first round pick had he been allowed to go straight to the NBA instead of taking a one year stop at AL. The kid you’re talking about came into to AL ready to play. He didn’t need Avery Johnson one bit!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT