ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State's Bill Snyder likely retiring

With his kids at Clemson and his salary, I don't think he is going to K State, probably won't be mentioned.

Great coach and man, now I have two words HIRE VEBABLES! Pay him whatever it takes!
giphy.gif

With his kids at Clemson and his salary, I don't think he is going to K State, probably won't be mentioned.

Yeah, it is bad timing vis-a-vis Venables. With his son at Clemson, he probably isn't leaving. Snyder makes $3.45 million at Kansas State. Vanables is up to $2 million plus some retention bonuses totalling a qtr million a year that he would lose if he left. Obviously retention bonuses are to fight off KState, as that has been know as his dream job for a long time. But he still makes a lot of money and with his kid, KState probably gets him 3 to 4 years from now when whatever coach is hired fails. Venables is only 48, lots of time to move to KState later in life.

I thought he would coach out his extension. He's a great coach who gets the most out of 2 and 3 stars. I think he's the oldest active coach at 78.

Yeah, it is bad timing vis-a-vis Venables. With his son at Clemson, he probably isn't leaving. Snyder makes $3.45 million at Kansas State. Vanables is up to $2 million plus some retention bonuses totalling a qtr million a year that he would lose if he left. Obviously retention bonuses are to fight off KState, as that has been know as his dream job for a long time. But he still makes a lot of money and with his kid, KState probably gets him 3 to 4 years from now when whatever coach is hired fails. Venables is only 48, lots of time to move to KState later in life.

I agree with all of this. On top of that, Venables has said on numerous occasions that he loves calling plays and being heavily involved in scheming. With the majority of head coaches moving more toward the CEO type and less the play calling type he realizes he is much better suited to stay as a coordinator. Combine that with his oldest son currently on scholarship and his youngest son already receiving a Clemson scholarship offer along with being among the highest paid coordinators in college football and I don't think he leaves.

BIll Snyder did one of the most amazing jobs in probably CFB history.Just check the records at K-State before he got there. Then add to that trying to bring kids to Manhattan,KS is just not going to be an easy sell no matter how well your team is doing.
Always produced a solid team year in and year out. Nothing fancy just basic football.
BTW for my money KState has one of the best uni's and helmet logos in CFB

Reactions: king ward
Venables will eventually get a nice job offer he won't be able to refuse. If I am UNC I am looking hard at him or GT if they part with PJ

From what I hear Venebles doesn’t have a desire to be a Head Coach and that’s one reason his name doesn’t come up a lot because this is known around college football.

The one job that many thought he’d take would be the K-State job when Synder retires but as mentioned it looks like bad timing. Also, I was told Jim Leavitt, the old USF coach, was in line to take over for Snyder but he has since left K-State to be the DC at Oregon.

If Venebles were making less than a million, I’m sure his desire to be a HC would be greater. But he has a good gig, with no HC pressure, and I could see him staying at Clemson at least until his son isn’t there any longer. Then I’m sure he’s re-evaluate, but the money won’t be that much more for an unproven HC.

Snyder

Included an article mentioning Venebles and Leavitt as potential candidates, even stating Leavitt had a verbal agreement at one time to replace Snyder.

Sounds like Snyder wants his son, Sean, to replace him.

From what I hear Venebles doesn’t have a desire to be a Head Coach and that’s one reason his name doesn’t come up a lot because this is known around college football.

The one job that many thought he’d take would be the K-State job when Synder retires but as mentioned it looks like bad timing. Also, I was told Jim Leavitt, the old USF coach, was in line to take over for Snyder but he has since left K-State to be the DC at Oregon.

If Venebles were making less than a million, I’m sure his desire to be a HC would be greater. But he has a good gig, with no HC pressure, and I could see him staying at Clemson at least until his son isn’t there any longer. Then I’m sure he’s re-evaluate, but the money won’t be that much more for an unproven HC.

Venables has interviewed for HC jobs before. I think the narrative that he doesn't want a HC job are from Tiger fans who think that a DC job there is better than a HC job

Have you seen Venables on the sidelines as recent as this year!?! The dude needs a get back coach for real, not just for show. Got flagged last year for sideline infraction. Just doesn't strike me as HC material, too intense/emotional and boarderline out of control. Makes for a dang good DC though.

Venables has interviewed for HC jobs before. I think the narrative that he doesn't want a HC job are from Tiger fans who think that a DC job there is better than a HC job

It is better than many of the jobs that come available. It’ll take a pretty big job to get Venebles away. And I’m not saying Venebles doesn’t necessarily want to be a HC, maybe the desire isn’t as strong as other people. Honestly, with the job he’s done with Clemson’s defense one would imagine if he did want a job he’d probably already have one.

No harm in interviewing. That gets him raises and if the desire does come it never hurts to have experience and meet people. But the fact that Venebles is still at Clemson doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if he really desires to be a HC. I’d say the list of schools he’d leave for is small. K-State has to be at the top.

I agree with all of this. On top of that, Venables has said on numerous occasions that he loves calling plays and being heavily involved in scheming. With the majority of head coaches moving more toward the CEO type and less the play calling type he realizes he is much better suited to stay as a coordinator. Combine that with his oldest son currently on scholarship and his youngest son already receiving a Clemson scholarship offer along with being among the highest paid coordinators in college football and I don't think he leaves.

I don't think he leaves now. But every coach dreams of being a head coach, especially of their alma mater. He can afford to wait until the last of his kids pass out of Clemson. Plus, in the back of his mind, Dabo may take the Alabama job when Saban retires and Venables could likely step right into the Clemson job. It is a nice position for him to be in.

Dabo will not take the Alabama job when Saban leaves. Maybe after the guy after Saban, but there is no way Dabo leaves what he’s built at Clemson to just go take over what Saban built.

Wouldn't the new transfer rules limit the impact of his sons being at Clemson? They could easily transfer along with him. Plus not every kid plays for his dad....remember Richt's son went to Clemson.

Reactions: thebravetiger75
I believe if KState offers Venables $3.5 to $4 mill/year, for five years, with a decent buyout, he'd go. That be basically doubling his current comp. His boys will be out of school in a few years. Will V still be at clemmons as DC? Seems the logical choice is to take the HC job, if offered.

Reactions: rogue cock
Snyder

Included an article mentioning Venebles and Leavitt as potential candidates, even stating Leavitt had a verbal agreement at one time to replace Snyder.

Sounds like Snyder wants his son, Sean, to replace him.

I’m sure K-State fans already know this, but no matter how much they love and respect Coach Snyder, DO NOT allow a nepotism hire to take place.

Gamecock fans know a thing or two about nepotism.

Wouldn't the new transfer rules limit the impact of his sons being at Clemson? They could easily transfer along with him. Plus not every kid plays for his dad....remember Richt's son went to Clemson.

The new transfer rules would be the same for his son as it would for anyone. he would have to transfer and sit a year to become eligible again.

Also, there are a few subtle differences between Venable's son and Richt's son. First, Mark's son never committed to play for his dad. You are correct that not everyone wants to play for their dad. However, Venables doesn't seem to be one of those since he committed to play for his dad already. Second, Jon Richt was not a highly recruited prospect and actually transferred from Clemson to Mars Hill after 1 year to continue playing football. Jake Venables was a 4 star linebacker recruit who had other big offers including LSU. He has the chance to actually play a good bit and become a starter on the Clemson defense. Transferring to follow his father costs him another year of playing time.

Reactions: rogue cock
Venables isn't the issue anyway... it's recruiting. He isn't doing overly exotic stuff on D... he has the baddest dudes on the field and he basically gets them fired up and says "fly to the ball". His D at Oklahoma was subpar because he didn't have the horses. I'm telling you, college football is entering a "only recruiting matters" timeline, if it was ever anything else.

Reactions: brunswickfan05
Venables isn't the issue anyway... it's recruiting. He isn't doing overly exotic stuff on D... he has the baddest dudes on the field and he basically gets them fired up and says "fly to the ball". His D at Oklahoma was subpar because he didn't have the horses. I'm telling you, college football is entering a "only recruiting matters" timeline, if it was ever anything else.

This is 1000% true. I could not agree more.

This is also why Venables moving from Clemson to K State would be a rough decision. You go from coaching the best defenders in college football (which can cover over a lot of bad coaching and player decisions) to coaching a mediocre at best level of talent. The money would be nice but there is no way Venables would be able to completely turn the program around immediately. He wouldn't have the talent.

Look at Chad Morris. He led one of the most prolific offenses in college football when at Clemson. He also had Sammy Watkins, Nuk Hopkins, and Martavis Bryant lined up as his 3 wide receivers. Now he is at Arkansas with no talent and he looks like he forgot how to coach.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
I wouldve liked to see what he could do as a coach on an even playing field. If he were at a school with tradition and history of winning.

Not so sure about now, but Snyder worked the JuCo ranks to build them up. He had them in the upper crust there for a few years, so I guess that strategy worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT