ADVERTISEMENT

Keeneland

UKat51

May 9, 2003
I hope all Gamecock fans traveling to Lexington for the game Saturday get a chance to go to the horse races at Keeneland before going to the game. The races start at 1:00 P.M. and the game starts at 7:30 P.M.

A lot of visitors make a doubleheader for the day
Be safe traveling to Lexington and have fun(minus the game) 😜😜

Last edited:
Kentucky was always one of my favorite road trips back in the day.

I think UK was the first road SEC game I ever attended. I was a student at USC and a friend asked me if I wanted to drive up to watch our game - that we were leaving about 3pm right after class on a Friday. I decided to go with him and we drove up and stayed at another friend's house whose parents lived outside of Lexington. We had a group of friends actually that met us there at the house.

Later on my wife and I would up with a friend and his wife and attend games there.

Folks were always nice. The worst fans I normally observed were a few of our own fans yelling curse words at our own players from the stands. I am getting the feeling that they might be yelling some bad words again Saturday night during this game.

Reactions: Deli owl
It is a great trip. I enjoyed seeing a “stuffed” Secretariat, maybe the greatest athlete of all time.

Kentucky was always one of my favorite road trips back in the day.

I think UK was the first road SEC game I ever attended. I was a student at USC and a friend asked me if I wanted to drive up to watch our game - that we were leaving about 3pm right after class on a Friday. I decided to go with him and we drove up and stayed at another friend's house whose parents lived outside of Lexington. We had a group of friends actually that met us there at the house.

Later on my wife and I would up with a friend and his wife and attend games there.

Folks were always nice. The worst fans I normally observed were a few of our own fans yelling curse words at our own players from the stands. I am getting the feeling that they might be yelling some bad words again Saturday night during this game.
I hope our fans act accordingly win or lose

Reactions: BIGCAT4LIFE
I had planned to go to Keeneland prior to the game but my plans have changed and I’m in the process of returning my tickets for a refund. (Still going to the game)

They are currently sold out for Friday and Saturday but you can get on a wait list for returned tickets (like mine). Or - there’s always the aftermarket if you want to try that route.

I hope USC fans coming to Lexington have a safe and enjoyable trip (except for the outcome of the game LOL)

Peace

Back in the 1990s when I'd attend a game at UK, most of the games were at night. After the game on local tv, they'd replay the game with Kentucky broadcasters. I'd get back to the hotel after the game and tune in to watch the game again to hear the commentary.

I hope all Gamecock fans traveling to Lexington for the game Saturday get a chance to go to the horse races at Keeneland before going to the game. The races start at 1:00 P.M. and the game starts at 7:30 P.M.

A lot of visitors make a doubleheader for the day
Be safe traveling to Lexington and have fun(minus the game) 😜😜
& if you get up early enough, hit the Woodford Distillery tour before the ponies.

Reactions: Deli owl
I agree. Check out the video of the 1973 Belmont Stakes on YouTube.
I remember. “He is moving like a tremendous machine!!”
I always felt bad for Sham. Any other year he might have been a winner of one or two Triple Crown races - finished 2nd in the KD and the Preakness and was run into the ground at Belmont.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
Sham then went to stud at Walmac Farm on Paris Pike here in Lexington. The owners were clients of mine. Greatest event I ever saw.

Reactions: Neanderthal
Where would you recommend tailgating? We would like to set up a tent, tv, and grill prior to the game. I have not been since 2004! Are there private pay lots somewhat close to the stadium?

Where would you recommend tailgating? We would like to set up a tent, tv, and grill prior to the game. I have not been since 2004! Are there private pay lots somewhat close to the stadium?
I just replied to your other thread with this info.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT