ADVERTISEMENT

Keita is leaving...

Sorry to see him leave.. What does this mean for the team??

Although I like some of the recruits Frank signed this year, this leaves Chris Silva as the only player on the roster rated 4-stars or better as a recruit, and that was only by Scout.com (Rivals had him at 3-stars). Not a good sign when you consider the huge influx of talent at so many other SEC programs.

Sorry to see anyone leave. He was athletic enough but way too often looked like he had never played the game before. Some act like he was a prized recruit. I didn't see it. He possibly would have been more than a project a couple years down the road. Hate to lose anyone but I don't see this as something that isn't overcome fairly easily.

Heard his game was more perimeter oriented and he liked to stretch the floor

Sometimes I think martin tries to fit players in certain roles vs adapt to their strengths. He wanted him to be a post guy

This is not right or wrong and I trust coach. Just think it causes guys to get a bad taste in their mouth

Did this have to happen to make room for tghe UNC Wilmington transfer. Timing is ironic. One scholarship opens up and the kid makes his decision.

Reactions: 2008Gamecock2008
Doumbia will have a lot on his plate. He better develop in a hurry! Same with Cudd.

Do we have any solid information as to what prompted this decision? I would have thought his role would increase markedly next season. This wouldn't happen unless he was dissatisfied with the school, the city, or his place in the program. Does anyone KNOW anything? I think it's a worthwhile thing to know.

Reactions: 2008Gamecock2008
Do we have any solid information as to what prompted this decision? I would have thought his role would increase markedly next season. This wouldn't happen unless he was dissatisfied with the school, the city, or his place in the program. Does anyone KNOW anything? I think it's a worthwhile thing to know.
Wondering the same thing honestly...
He wasn't a STAR as a true fresh, but played almost as much as a SILVA did as a true freshman, and SILVA turned into one of our most important players as a sophomore. Keita had that kind of potential, and certainly was going to see more time on a now somewhat depleted roster... I am thinking he is Jelly of Kotsar's time and butt hurt HE wasn't the one starting most the games as a freshman... if that is his mentality (just a guess BTW, I said "IF"), glad he left now.

Reactions: king ward
Wondering the same thing honestly...
He wasn't a STAR as a true fresh, but played almost as much as a SILVA did as a true freshman, and SILVA turned into one of our most important players as a sophomore. Keita had that kind of potential, and certainly was going to see more time on a now somewhat depleted roster... I am thinking he is Jelly of Kotsar's time and butt hurt HE wasn't the one starting most the games as a freshman... if that is his mentality (just a guess BTW, I said "IF"), glad he left now.
All of that is a possibility, but somebody other than the player KNOWS. I want to know.

We are not there yet but some schools have the one and done players who contribute in their freshman year and don't need much improvement, or so it seems. Are there so few of those players who are not ready to sign a LOI with a final four school? Yeah, I know that some final four schools don't always continue their success, like George Mason.

Coach Martin post season press conference (25 April 2017) he was asked outside of PJ is there anyone else leaving the basketball program and coach Martin said he was not happy with a few guys and it had nothing to do with playing or talent and told the press they can speculate on who those players are. Coach Martin also said that he was not prepared to speak about it yet. I am now thinking he was talking about Keita.

Coach Martin post season press conference (25 April 2017) he was asked outside of PJ is there anyone else leaving the basketball program and coach Martin said he was not happy with a few guys and it had nothing to do with playing or talent and told the press they can speculate on who those players are. Coach Martin also said that he was not prepared to speak about it yet. I am now thinking he was talking about Keita.

Thanks. You could be right. One player not buying into what the coach wants can be really bad for team morale.

Reactions: king ward
Addition by subtraction. Haase and Doumbai will be better than him when they walk on the court. Hasse reminds me of Kotsar. Doumbai is a younger but more under control Silva. Something wasn't clicking with Keita. Cudd is a project but has a great deal of potential. I appreciate Keita but don't feel we have lost anything.

The kid is a low mid major.. or a Furman, SC State type player at best... I don't care how many stars were by his name coming out of H.S.

I said in January/Febuary he would transfer and he must be an intelligent young man....he made the right move

A power 5 school might take a chance, just don't see it

Last edited:
Someone said to trust the process. Does that include processing or kids leaving after 1 or 2 seasons? It's a damn revolving door over there. Glad we made the run but building depth takes time.

Depth? Big men. We will probably lose Silva after next season. If we are lucky he will stay 2 more but he came to America to play in the NBA. I am not sold on Gueye...he may be on the Keita plan after this year. Kotsar is solid and probably will continue to start. The kid from Chile will be an able backup for Kotsar and Dumbai will be an able backup for Silva. Cudd and Gueye will give good minutes. I like our big men and would rather have a revolving door than a guy taking up a scholarship that is expecting playing time when the guys recruited under him are just as good. Again I think there was something a little off with him. Wasn't he suspended toward the end of the season?

Something with Keita wasn't quite right. He stopped getting playing minutes after mid season and did not appear for a good many games. IMHO, he has more talent than many give him credit for, but persistently under achieved for some reason.

Maybe playing ball for Coach Resting Mad Face is not as easy as it appears....

A typical Martin project. Well, maybe a shade better than typical based on his physical attributes.

Well known member you remind me of myself many years ago. Which means you do not know your ass from a hole in the ground. Let Frank direct the basketball program, and you and me will pull for them to win out.

Reactions: ShannonL and pettyw
Well known member you remind me of myself many years ago. Which means you do not know your ass from a hole in the ground. Let Frank direct the basketball program, and you and me will pull for them to win out.
If he were not a project, and perhaps more of a project than Frank first thought, and if he were projected to start, and if he was happy with his surroundings, and if Frank were completely enthralled with him, then he wouldn't be leaving. If you don't know that, it isn't I who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT