ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Matkins

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Read about this guy, was supposed to be a big QB get from the Charlotte area late in the fat Brad era(1997 or so) transferred after the 1-10 year in 1998 to North Carolina A&T, the last time I see that he was still playing was late in 2000 (at A&T), I'm curious anybody know what happened with this one?

I think he played in Holtz’s first Spring game, and then transferred. I don’t remember him doing anything at NC A&T. Another QB who didn’t pan out.

Never ended up playing for us. Scott signed him and he was going to be a savior for SC. Vic Penn transferred thinking that the job belonged to Matkins. When Holtz got here, he decided to go with a option oriented offence and Keith was more of a drop back passer. In any event, he saw the writing on the wall and split. Once he left the QB draw became our go to play for years.

Never ended up playing for us. Scott signed him and he was going to be a savior for SC. Vic Penn transferred thinking that the job belonged to Matkins. When Holtz got here, he decided to go with a option oriented offence and Keith was more of a drop back passer. In any event, he saw the writing on the wall and split. Once he left the QB draw became our go to play for years.
Holtz only went that direction after Petty was finished. Holtz tried to make Jenkins the next Tony Rice over the strenuous objections of Skip. It was downhill from there.

He went to NC A&T after transferring from here and didn't make grades. I met him a couple of times in Columbia and he was a really nice guy.

Once he left the QB draw became our go to play for years.
I’ve left two games before the final whistle.

One was the FSU game when they destroyed us 59-0 or whatever.

The other was under Holtz during that time period you refer to. We had the ball third and eight on our own 22. Came to LOS, play clock ticking away, call TO. Convene on sidelines, come back out, run an f’n qb draw. Off of a timeout. Against TEMPLE. I left.

I’ve left two games before the final whistle.

One was the FSU game when they destroyed us 59-0 or whatever.

The other was under Holtz during that time period you refer to. We had the ball third and eight on our own 22. Came to LOS, play clock ticking away, call TO. Convene on sidelines, come back out, run an f’n qb draw. Off of a timeout. Against TEMPLE. I left.

That FSU game was the biggest A$& Kicking I can ever remember . If I remember right FSU scored in about three plays to start the game , we got the ball and I think it was Terrell Buckley jumped a route for a pick six on our first offensive play , we get the ball back go three and out and they ran our punt back . It was literally 21-0 two minutes in . I’ll never forget that game . It was an absolute obliteration .

It was when you were conceived as well my son.
That FSU game was the biggest A$& Kicking I can ever remember . If I remember right FSU scored in about three plays to start the game , we got the ball and I think it was Terrell Buckley jumped a route for a pick six on our first offensive play , we get the ball back go three and out and they ran our punt back . It was literally 21-0 two minutes in . I’ll never forget that game . It was an absolute obliteration .

HIGHLY SOUGHT QUARTERBACK MATKINS ENROLLS AT N.C. A&T
  • From Staff and Wire Reports
  • Aug 20, 1999 Updated Jan 24, 2015
Keith Matkins, considered one of the nation's top high school quarterbacks two seasons ago, has officially enrolled at N.C. A&T and will sit the season out as a redshirt, coach Bill Hayes said Friday.

Matkins, a pure, drop-back passer who originally signed with South Carolina, is expected to flourish in A&T's Multiple-I offense. In high school, the former West Charlotte star was a Parade All-American and two-time, all-state pick. But as a freshman at South Carolina, he never got untracked.Matkins, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, decided to change schools at the conclusion of spring practice last April after it became apparent that he didn't fit into the option-oriented offense that new coach Lou Holtz embraces.

Hayes is elated with Matkins' decision. ``Keith's coming here is going to be great for the program,' Hayes said. ``It's the best thing to happen at A&T since the school was founded.'

A&T was not alone in vying for Matkins' services. Other schools that reportedly expressed interest include Oregon, Fresno State, Florida, Appalachian State, East Carolina, Florida A&M, South Carolina State, Troy State (Ala.) and Western Carolina.

And Then:

AGGIES ADJUST WITHOUT MATKINS\ KEITH MATKINS HAS BECOME AN ACADEMIC CASUALTY.

• BY CRAIG T. GREENLEE Staff Writer
  • Aug 10, 2001 Updated Jan 25, 2015
Just when it seemed N.C. A&T's quarterback situation was settled, projected starter Keith Matkins failed to make the grade in summer school. As a result, the junior from Charlotte has been ruled academically ineligible and will not play this season.

Matkins, a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder who transferred from South Carolina two years ago, started six games in 2000, completing 53.7 percent of his throws for 1,008 yards. He threw eight touchdowns and nine interceptions. His ability to throw deep gave A&T's passing game a dimension opponents had not seen in recent seasons.But even with Matkins out of the mix, coach Bill Hayes doesn't feel his team is in dire straits.

Two-year starter Jason Battle, Damian Phillips and Domonique Williams will compete for the starting job. Sophomore Curtis Smith and freshman Randal Rankins also are on hand, although they aren't expected to make an immediate push for playing time.

``I always felt our quarterback situation was up in the air,' Hayes said. ``We have quality people who can get the job done. I feel we'll be OK.'

Wide receiver Steve Shipp, who played with Matkins at West Charlotte High School, believes the Aggies will adjust.

``As a friend and as a teammate, I hate it that he's not here,' Shipp said. ``But realistically, we have to move on and deal with the right now. And right now, I'm happy with how things are coming along with the quarterbacks we have.'

Battle's experience gives him an edge on the rest of the field, but he is not scheduled to start practice until Monday after spending his summer playing baseball with the Hi-Toms of the Coastal Plains League.

The junior from Rocky Mount acknowledges it will take some time for him to readjust to playing football again after a MEAC MVP season in baseball.

``The transition isn't automatic,' Battle said. ``It's been a while since I've done anything in football. The sooner I get started in camp, the better.'

In '99, Battle led A&T to a conference title and the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

``We've got people here who are hungry to play,' Battle said. ``The competition will be just as tough as it was last year. And that's going to push each of us to keep getting better.'

Phillips, a transfer from N.C. Central, split time between quarterback and wide receiver in 2000. He threw a touchdown pass against N.C. Central and had a touchdown reception vs. Bethune-Cookman.

Williams, who transferred from North Carolina a year ago, fared well at quarterback during spring drills.

Last season, he was used mostly in third-down situations as a running back and slot receiver. Williams rushed for 27 yards and had 12 catches for 91 yards. He scored three touchdowns.

``I like what I've seen from Damian Phillips,' Hayes said. ``He had the best summer of all the quarterbacks. He's so athletic. Once he learns to settle down, he'll be fine.'\ \ Contact Craig T. Greenlee at 373-7034 or cgreenlee@news-record.com

Recruiting is an inexact science. This young man is proof, that stars don't guarantee success in college. I will say that higher rated players generally are a success, just no guarantee as stated above.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
ADVERTISEMENT