ADVERTISEMENT

Killing The 2* circuit

With this type of elite recruiting, we'll be every bit as good as Vanderbilt in just a few years!
Serious Q. If you're Shawn Elliott and you're fighting to become HC, why would you do this? Flipping a 2-star from Troy just doesn't have good optics and there's absolutely nothing he (or anyone) can do or say that will change the perception. There's no upside. There's only a downside.

Serious Q. If you're Shawn Elliott and you're fighting to become HC, why would you do this? Flipping a 2-star from Troy just doesn't have good optics and there's absolutely nothing he (or anyone) can do or say that will change the perception. There's no upside. There's only a downside.
It makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: FORKCOCK and PC31
No offense to the kid. Hey, we offered and he accepted. All the power to him. He did nothing wrong. I would have done the same thing myself if I were in his shoes. However, as a fan and supporter of the football team, I do find this trend of recruiting multiple 2 star players to be very alarming. It sends the message that we simply can not recruit any top rated 4 or 5 star players - period. When other 4 or 5 star kids who potentially may be interested in signing see this, they likely will question why this is going on? They will asked themselves, "Is USC not a good team? Are their coaches thinking about leaving? Is there something going on that high school players are unaware of?" Deep down, I fear that very soon, we will be recruiting not only 2 star kids ... but 1 star players as well. USC must hire a new head coach (Hint: Kirby Smart) who will rectify this issue immediately and steer our recruiting operations in the right direction.

Reactions: onebigdude
It makes perfect sense if you step back and just look. Elliot can't recruit! Never has been good at it and yet some think he'd be a good head coach here because he's rah-rah and acts like a caveman and grew up liking USC. Well hell I grew up liking USC, I graduated from here and so did most of my family. Give ME the job if that's the requirements for it (must love USC from birth). I'll do it for $50,000 a year and what you save on my salary you can use to bring in good assistants. I'll never even look at a 2* recruit, probably won't look at many 3's once we get rolling again. I'll out-Dabo, Dabo on the recruiting trail.

We need to hire a coach immediately at end of regular season before the bowls to help recruiting

This is egregious. I can coach better and evaluate talent better than Coach Elliott. I'm also much more talented than all those 2 star punks. What is Ray thinking? He's letting these no talent jokers ruin our proud program. The current staff should sit on their hands until the end of the season, or until the put me in charge.

I've played at the highest level, in fantasy football. Anyone with half a brain can see we're headed for disaster.

We must insist on superior coaching and players or we'll never amount to anything as a football program. Don't interview any coach unless they are named Saban, Bob Stoops or Jim Harbaugh. By no means should we recruit any player unless I declare them worthy, or they have 5 stars.

True fans know what is required, don't settle for less!

Woooo.hahahahA killing the 2* circuit . It's so funny over and over again.

This is egregious. I can coach better and evaluate talent better than Coach Elliott. I'm also much more talented than all those 2 star punks. What is Ray thinking? He's letting these no talent jokers ruin our proud program. The current staff should sit on their hands until the end of the season, or until the put me in charge.

I've played at the highest level, in fantasy football. Anyone with half a brain can see we're headed for disaster.

We must insist on superior coaching and players or we'll never amount to anything as a football program. Don't interview any coach unless they are named Saban, Bob Stoops or Jim Harbaugh. By no means should we recruit any player unless I declare them worthy, or they have 5 stars.

True fans know what is required, don't settle for less!
Headed?

We need to hire a coach immediately at end of regular season before the bowls to help recruiting

Tanner has already commented that an early Dec. hiring would be ideal. I don't think he would have said it if he didn't plan to do so. He wasn't surprised by Spurrier's retirement. I think he's been all over the task of hiring our next coach long before Spurrier's decision, and I personally think he already has his coach in his pocket.

I can safely say that this group of coaches with the exception of mangus is the worst group of recruiters this university has ever seen. These guys couldnt sell a qualude to Bill Cosby.

Unless we make a huge splash with the HC hire this class is a lost year. They have to fill the team with bodies next season and 5*s ain't lined up around the block to get an offer from our next HC, Coach Fill-In-The-Blank. I'm afraid this will be a recruiting cycle with a lot of projects.

Have you watched the kid play? He is a stud and the ultimate sleeper guy. I read on a Troy board where they were pissed. He is a great value. Stop judging kids by stars. Conor shaw souls familiar? Or maybe JJ watt?

Stop judging kids by stars. Conor shaw souls familiar? Or maybe JJ watt?

Law of averages, man. Law...of...averages.

For the longest time I tried my derndest not to just recruits by star rating, but after watching Clem so quickly flip the switch on us, I firmly believe in star ratings now.

Have you watched the kid play? He is a stud and the ultimate sleeper guy. I read on a Troy board where they were pissed. He is a great value. Stop judging kids by stars. Conor shaw souls familiar? Or maybe JJ watt?

I still can't figure you out if you are trolling or actually think what you are saying is the truth. Shaw was a three star and 19th QB prospect. But regarding this kid... do you hear yourself???? TROY is pissed? We are judging good flips from TROY?
You could be right- this could be a sleeper... But I guess so are the other four 2* we have committed right now huh?

I still can't figure you out if you are trolling or actually think what you are saying is the truth. Shaw was a three star and 19th QB prospect. But regarding this kid... do you hear yourself???? TROY is pissed? We are judging good flips from TROY?
You could be right- this could be a sleeper... But I guess so are the other four 2* we have committed right now huh?
We need some elite talent guys and some guys that are hungry. The key to no having a drop off is having guys redshirt that don't play for the first couple years. I think that's why the taters are doing okay now. Mix of 5 stars and guys that have been in the system.

We need some elite talent guys and some guys that are hungry. The key to no having a drop off is having guys redshirt that don't play for the first couple years. I think that's why the taters are doing okay now. Mix of 5 stars and guys that have been in the system.

Elite talent is not equal to 2* talent.

Clemson: 7 out of 11 starters on offense are soph/fresh. 8 are on the two deep.
2 starters on D. 9 more on two deep.

This isn't guys that have been in the system for long. IT IS SIMPLY RECRUITING BETTER PLAYERS THAT CAN COME IN AND CONTRIBUTE!

Elite talent is not equal to 2* talent.

Clemson: 7 out of 11 starters on offense are soph/fresh. 8 are on the two deep.
2 starters on D. 9 more on two deep.

This isn't guys that have been in the system for long. IT IS SIMPLY RECRUITING BETTER PLAYERS THAT CAN COME IN AND CONTRIBUTE!
I thought that one guy was like a sixth year guy a wr, and that short white receiver has been there forever.

Not sure what you call a sleeper, but he doesn't come from a program or area that doesn't get a lot of attention from schools...thus many of P5 coaches have seen him and chose not to offer....not a single one. If it's a grade issue...same issue we have been dealing with for the past few years....our RC doesn't do his job.

I thought that one guy was like a sixth year guy a wr, and that short white receiver has been there forever.

Charone Peake is who you are referring to- hasn't done to much at Clemson due to injuries was good at Dorman High School. The "short white receiver" is a friend of mines nephew- Hunter Renfrow who is a freshman walk-on. who was much like Adam Humphries(was a teammates with Charone from Dorman).

Charone Peake is who you are referring to- hasn't done to much at Clemson due to injuries was good at Dorman High School. The "short white receiver" is a friend of mines nephew- Hunter Renfrow who is a freshman walk-on. who was much like Adam Humphries(was a teammates with Charone from Dorman).
How is that kid only a freshmen. I feel like I've seen him for a couple years now. I think he's a redshirt senior

You guys are really getting worked up over stuff without understanding the facts. If you did, you would know that most of the 2* guys we have on the list are Offensive Linemen. There is no separate ranking system for OLinemen. They are compared to all the other "glamour positions" so they are inherently ranked lower. You would also know that there are only TWO (2) 5* Olinemen in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Nobody is signing 5* OLinemen because there "AIN'T" ANY. You would also know that there are only 15 4* Olinemen in our entire recruiting area. That means almost ALL the Olinemen we can and will sign will be ranked 3* and 2* by the Grand Imperial Wizards of the internet media ranking world.

Some folks are just delusional, and have faith in the coaches that they will somehow "coach em up" and the 2 stars will play like 5 stars.

You guys are really getting worked up over stuff without understanding the facts. If you did, you would know that most of the 2* guys we have on the list are Offensive Linemen. There is no separate ranking system for OLinemen. They are compared to all the other "glamour positions" so they are inherently ranked lower. You would also know that there are only TWO (2) 5* Olinemen in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Nobody is signing 5* OLinemen because there "AIN'T" ANY. You would also know that there are only 15 4* Olinemen in our entire recruiting area. That means almost ALL the Olinemen we can and will sign will be ranked 3* and 2* by the Grand Imperial Wizards of the internet media ranking world.

I LOVE THE BOLD WORDING.... (Just busting your chops) BUT UNDERSTOOD THAT WE ARE ALSO TAKING A 2* 5'10'' 160 "ATHLETE WHO HAS OFFERS FROM AIR FORCE, SCST., FURMAN, COASTAL CAROLINA..... THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH OUR RECRUITING AND HAS BEEN. NO MAJOR D1 OFFERS BUT HEY, WE CAN COACH THEM ALL UP RIGHT!!! SOUND FAMILIAR? I AM WELL AWARE OF THE OL NOT HAVING MANY 4*/5* BUT WE ARE TAKING GUYS THAT DO NOT GET OFFERS FROM ANY OF THE OTHER POWER 5 SCHOOLS? I ASSUME THE OTHER SCHOOLS CAN'T SEE THE DIAMONDS IN ROUGH?

I am not knocking the kids- heck if I was graded/rated what they are and a division 1 school offered me... I would jump on it in a heartbeat. But we are also in a place in rebuilding where we can't take the chances that the current staff are taking on recruits... they have been lazy for the past three and four years and it has finally caught up to us.

Reactions: GamecockJL
I don't have a problem with two star recruits here and there,but five in one class is way too many,not saying that it isn't possible for them to become good players,but Ya stand a much better chance with high three stars and four stars,seems to be a higher success rate,I know we have found a few diamonds in the rough,but Ya can't build a program with those,if Elliott wants a serious shot @ this job,he better not offer too many projects!!

I LOVE THE BOLD WORDING.... (Just busting your chops) BUT UNDERSTOOD THAT WE ARE ALSO TAKING A 2* 5'10'' 160 "ATHLETE WHO HAS OFFERS FROM AIR FORCE, SCST., FURMAN, COASTAL CAROLINA..... THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH OUR RECRUITING AND HAS BEEN. NO MAJOR D1 OFFERS BUT HEY, WE CAN COACH THEM ALL UP RIGHT!!! SOUND FAMILIAR? I AM WELL AWARE OF THE OL NOT HAVING MANY 4*/5* BUT WE ARE TAKING GUYS THAT DO NOT GET OFFERS FROM ANY OF THE OTHER POWER 5 SCHOOLS? I ASSUME THE OTHER SCHOOLS CAN'T SEE THE DIAMONDS IN ROUGH?

I am not knocking the kids- heck if I was graded/rated what they are and a division 1 school offered me... I would jump on it in a heartbeat. But we are also in a place in rebuilding where we can't take the chances that the current staff are taking on recruits... they have been lazy for the past three and four years and it has finally caught up to us.

Sorry, the bold was just for emphasis to make a point. I don't disagree with you that our recruiting has fallen off the last couple of years. The evidence is on the field. But many of those guys were 4* rated guys who just aren't as talented as the internet gurus would have you believe. Some of those high and mighty 4*s are sitting on the bench because a walkon or lower rated player is performing better on the field.

I was just trying to point out the facts about this star rating stuff, because too many people get too worked up out over it without knowing the facts and how it works. For example there are only 50 5* players in the entire country - Every Year. Doesn't that seem odd to you? Wouldn't you think some years there may be more top quality players than other years? Doesn't that mean that a player in one year is rated a 5*, but if that player had been in the previous year he might be a 4*, simply because there were more quality players in that year to compare to? You could conceivably have a Sophomore who was a 5*, but have a Freshman who was rated a 4*, but who is actually a better, more talented player. They also don't rank with deference to position. There are many olinemen who may be better at their position rated as 2* that are better than some WRs are at their position, but rated as 3*. It's just not something to get too worked up over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT