ADVERTISEMENT

Killing The 2* circuit

Serious question here... how many 3*, 4* and 5* players did we turn down to leave room for this latest 2* recruit? You guys make it sound like we're wasting time getting 2* players but our program is down right now and if 2*s are the ones who choose us, we take 'em and see what they can do. Is it ideal? No. But do you really think our coaches are ignoring the 5* guys? I don't think it's as easy as some of you think to get the top players to come to USC. If it's as simple as saying "I demand more 5*s" then why don't we just fill the roster with every 5* player in the country? Wouldn't that make more sense?

We'll get who we can and do our best with them. And if you're going to "demand" a new coach every time a highly rated player chooses another school over us, we should just put a revolving door on the coach's office because nobody gets them all.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC'88

Sorry, the bold was just for emphasis to make a point. I don't disagree with you that our recruiting has fallen off the last couple of years. The evidence is on the field. But many of those guys were 4* rated guys who just aren't as talented as the internet gurus would have you believe. Some of those high and mighty 4*s are sitting on the bench because a walkon or lower rated player is performing better on the field.

I was just trying to point out the facts about this star rating stuff, because too many people get too worked up out over it without knowing the facts and how it works. For example there are only 50 5* players in the entire country - Every Year. Doesn't that seem odd to you? Wouldn't you think some years there may be more top quality players than other years? Doesn't that mean that a player in one year is rated a 5*, but if that player had been in the previous year he might be a 4*, simply because there were more quality players in that year to compare to? You could conceivably have a Sophomore who was a 5*, but have a Freshman who was rated a 4*, but who is actually a better, more talented player. They also don't rank with deference to position. There are many olinemen who may be better at their position rated as 2* that are better than some WRs are at their position, but rated as 3*. It's just not something to get too worked up over.
Serious question here... how many 3*, 4* and 5* players did we turn down to leave room for this latest 2* recruit? You guys make it sound like we're wasting time getting 2* players but our program is down right now and if 2*s are the ones who choose us, we take 'em and see what they can do. Is it ideal? No. But do you really think our coaches are ignoring the 5* guys? I don't think it's as easy as some of you think to get the top players to come to USC. If it's as simple as saying "I demand more 5*s" then why don't we just fill the roster with every 5* player in the country? Wouldn't that make more sense?

We'll get who we can and do our best with them. And if you're going to "demand" a new coach every time a highly rated player chooses another school over us, we should just put a revolving door on the coach's office because nobody gets them all.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC'88

We have not invested into recruiting what other schools in the conference have and it shows. The financial numbers have been reported and their have been several recruits over the past couple of yrs speak about how we stopped contacted guys committed to us.

How do you think the women's BB team became elite? With 2 star players ?

I'll say it. SOSjr sucks at recruiting, and the majority of the staff sucks at evaluating talent. Either that or they suck at coaching. My guess is a little (or a lot) of both. That article that posted SOSjr's first interview after being named RC, where he basically said he pretty much hated the rigors of recruiting was a preview of what was to come. He can't coach WRs either, unless they possess Alshon\Pharoah talent, which I could coach.

I don't want to knock the kid who accepted his offer, because sometimes those "stars" don't mean much. However I would feel much better knowing most of them were getting offers from most of the big schools.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC'88[/QUOTYa really are clueless,everybody understands the circumstances,and don't expect Five stars to be falling @ our Door,but come on dude for the most part for the exception of this season we have been a pretty solid SEC program,we should expect better,I am sorry that Ya have a loser attitude and are ok with this,but don't get mad because we want to win,and want to recruit the best we can!! I would rather hold those scholarships to wait and see who the new coaches are going to be,because once we hire a new Coach there will be more kids interested!! I understand what Ya are sayin,but Ya can't fault us for bein frustrated!!

BigandCocky, I can see your points. Hell, I'm frustrated too but no program is on top every year. When you look at our history, we just had some of our best years ever... very much out of character for us. Unfortunately, and there's lots of evidence to back this up, we got lazy with recruiting. We're back to average and it'll be tougher for us to climb back up because of our (lack of) history.

As I see on the home page, we have 16 commitments. 5 are 2* and as someone pointed out, that's not uncommon for O-linemen (3 of our 2*s are this). We also have four 4*s. I think that 25 scholarships are the norm which would leave us with 9. Do you think that, even if we do get a top notch HC that we'll have more than nine 4* or 5* recruits wanting to come here? I'd LOVE it if it were so but I wouldn't bet on it. And if there were that many... Hell, I'd then be very happy with the overall class, even WITH five 2* players coming in (because if they've committed this early, I'd guess they want to be here and I'll pull for those guys any day!).

Shannon

BigandCocky, I can see your points. Hell, I'm frustrated too but no program is on top every year. When you look at our history, we just had some of our best years ever... very much out of character for us. Unfortunately, and there's lots of evidence to back this up, we got lazy with recruiting. We're back to average and it'll be tougher for us to climb back up because of our (lack of) history.

As I see on the home page, we have 16 commitments. 5 are 2* and as someone pointed out, that's not uncommon for O-linemen (3 of our 2*s are this). We also have four 4*s. I think that 25 scholarships are the norm which would leave us with 9. Do you think that, even if we do get a top notch HC that we'll have more than nine 4* or 5* recruits wanting to come here? I'd LOVE it if it were so but I wouldn't bet on it. And if there were that many... Hell, I'd then be very happy with the overall class, even WITH five 2* players coming in (because if they've committed this early, I'd guess they want to be here and I'll pull for those guys any day!).

Shannon
And it's not just fact they are Two star recruits it is whoelse is recruiting them,I would rather wait til after we hire a Coach before we take anymore commitments unless it is Dre Massey go ahead and take his commitment he is a baller,that's all well and good pull for them if ya want,I will support them also,just would rather wait to see what the new Coach can do,I mean Ya can save some for the next class also!!

I can't wait for Jr and the rest of this lazy ass staff to get the hell out of Dodge.

Mangus can stay.

So I guess if we can't get 4 stars to come here because of coaching uncertainty we should just not sign anyone? Yeah that's a recipe for success. Geez. The lack of intelligence on this board is amazing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT