ADVERTISEMENT

Kind of surprised at the early line on the Clemson/Notre Dame

Yep, the same Belk Bowl team that racked up 510 yards passing, 600 total yards, and five TD's a little over a week ago vs mighty CU? I know the final score wasn't that close, but everyone watching in person and on TV saw Carolina carve up CU's 'top rated defense'. Had a chance to get fourteen more, credit your defense for stopping us there. Be careful on the disparaging remarks on USC's bowl destination. CU was there several years ago and lost to USF.

ABC - Anybody But Clempsun

Certainly not disparaging. Just calling it as it stands at this time and trying to get beyond the often repeated “yeah, but look at their schedule” argument.

The Alabama defense let a 2 win Arkansas team put up 31 points and over 400 yards of offense. Does that mean Alabama is overrated? No. It’s one game.

Bentley and the offense played a great game against a very good defense. They executed the game plan very well. They also lost the game by 3tds. I do not believe that the Clemson defense will be judged at the end of the season by the SC game performance.

How original. "If the referee _______"

Merely pointed out a fact, SU converted a 4thsbd short on a jump pass to their TE, fortunately for CU The same idiot OL that was flagged three times against CU was down field. I did not mention any referee or conspiracy in the game. If that play stands, CU isn't in the playoffs right now. Your SOS and a loss at home would have eliminated you.

They screwed up, and you escaped a game that was over except for one dumbass OL.

Congrats on winning the acc! I know it was a real struggle to beat UNRANKED and 7-5 PITT, that despite being down most of the game had something like EIGHT YARDS PASSING. That is so pitiful, it's almost impossible to believe?

You can now go prove it on the field!

Pitt had no chance last night as their offensive weakness is passing offense. Clemson's weakness is passing defense. If ND can pass then they can beat Clemson.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yep, the same Belk Bowl team that racked up 510 yards passing, 600 total yards, and five TD's a little over a week ago vs mighty CU? I know the final score wasn't that close, but everyone watching in person and on TV saw Carolina carve up CU's 'top rated defense'. Had a chance to get fourteen more, credit your defense for stopping us there. Be careful on the disparaging remarks on USC's bowl destination. CU was there several years ago and lost to USF.

Certainly not disparaging. Just calling it as it stands at this time and trying to get beyond the often repeated “yeah, but look at their schedule” argument.

The Alabama defense let a 2 win Arkansas team put up 31 points and over 400 yards of offense. Does that mean Alabama is overrated? No. It’s one game.

Bentley and the offense played a great game against a very good defense. They executed the game plan very well. They also lost the game by 3tds. I do not believe that the Clemson defense will be judged at the end of the season by the SC game performance.
Say what you want, because the three td margin doesn’t indicate how close that game was. Without the two goal line stands, it is a different game (and no, I will not give props for that...that has happened all season).

With that said, I think Clemson belongs there. I think the line is more an indictment on ND than Clemson. I just don’t think most believe ND belongs.

Vegas is smart, they know the Tater Fans have drank Dabo koolaid and Think that the Taters are the best team in the history of the world..... They want Taters fans loading up on them big, and a big payout for Vegas.. Line will drop to less than 10 before K/O... When the smart money comes out!!
Lol!!

Syracuse. Guess I missed Pitt, just looked at the regular season.

So they've played 4 common opponents, with 3 blowouts each and a nail-biter each. Pretty even. Which is how I expect the game to be.
To me, you can’t go by common opponents because all of the matchups are completely different. On some teams the matchups work better than others. For instance, to me, Clemson matches up better with Alabama than with Georgia. Even though to most Alabama is a better team. If Clemson can beat ND, and it is going to be a war. Then I like Clemson’s chances against Alabama. It will be close but I think Clemson wins. I think Clemson would lose a close one to Georgia.

Reactions: Pole
To me, you can’t go by common opponents because all of the matchups are completely different. On some teams the matchups work better than others. For instance, to me, Clemson matches up better with Alabama than with Georgia. Even though to most Alabama is a better team. If Clemson can beat ND, and it is going to be a war. Then I like Clemson’s chances against Alabama. It will be close but I think Clemson wins. I think Clemson would lose a close one to Georgia.
I don't disagree for the reasons you stated. But it still is the best comparison eventhough far from perfect without getting into the finer points of each teams strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
There's a reason Vegas had UGA, CU, OU, OSU, and Bama favored by double digits over ND. They shouldn't be in the final four and avoided a potential loss by not having to play in a conference championship game.

They sure were during the ACC championship game. Herbietater kept talking about making changes on defense after that South Carolina game. The way they were talking would lead most to believe y’all lost that game. Did you run Muse off yet?

Which tells us all what we already know...the 4 best teams aren’t in the playoffs. It’s all politics.

I tip my hat to the taters as they have beaten all the teams on their schedule for the past four years including us. That said, this is their weakest team that they have sent to the playoff IMO and if I were a Clemson fan I'd be leary of Notre Dame. They may be the weakest of the four but they ain't Duke or Pitt for that matter. Clemson will have their hands full and even if they win will get destroyed by Bama or OK.

I tip my hat to the taters as they have beaten all the teams on their schedule for the past four years including us. That said, this is their weakest team that they have sent to the playoff IMO and if I were a Clemson fan I'd be leary of Notre Dame. They may be the weakest of the four but they ain't Duke or Pitt for that matter. Clemson will have their hands full and even if they win will get destroyed by Bama or OK.
Bama will not lose, Georgia is the 2nd best team in the country, Had Bama beat, just couldnt close the deal!! Bama will beat both Ok and ND by double digits!!

THIS. Notre Dame beat Michigan in week one. That's it. They played nobody and they aren't really that good. UGA or Ohio St. would beat them by 2 or 3 scores and Clemson will too.
Exactly.. Hell, Vandy should have beaten them IN South Bend.. Vandy Out gained them and had 3 turnovers to None for ND..

Your game was at home. Big difference. Again, if the lineman down field isn't called against Cuse on the 4th conversion late, CU is out of the playoff picture with one loss. We'll see who wins on the field on 12/29. I think CU is better than ND fwiw. I don't think CU us better than UGA or BAMA just based on observations of all three programs this year.

Clemson would have still made the playoff w a close loss to Cuse after KB transfered and TL got hurt. A 1 loss Clemson who wins conference would have gotten in at 3-4.

Clemson would have still made the playoff w a close loss to Cuse after KB transfered and TL got hurt. A 1 loss Clemson who wins conference would have gotten in at 3-4.

Possibly, and that is the problem with the playoff. No team should make the playoff with Clemson's schedule and a loss.

Reactions: roosterbell
There's a reason Vegas had UGA, CU, OU, OSU, and Bama favored by double digits over ND. They shouldn't be in the final four and avoided a potential loss by not having to play in a conference championship game.

OU and OSU would not be favored by double digits over ND. There's only a 1-2 point difference b/t OU and ND, and ND might actually be a slight favorite over Ohio State.

Clemson and UGA would be around a pick'em.

Exactly.. Hell, Vandy should have beaten them IN South Bend.. Vandy Out gained them and had 3 turnovers to None for ND..

ND was still starting Brandon Wimbush at QB for that game. They benched him for Ian Book after that performance against Vandy and have been much better since.

Because there's a lot of data that proves ND's offense has been much more effective with Ian Book at QB than Brandon Wimbush. I can't definitively state that it would've been different, but i can pretty confidently say that it probably would've been different.

Merely pointed out a fact, SU converted a 4thsbd short on a jump pass to their TE, fortunately for CU The same idiot OL that was flagged three times against CU was down field. I did not mention any referee or conspiracy in the game. If that play stands, CU isn't in the playoffs right now. Your SOS and a loss at home would have eliminated you.

They screwed up, and you escaped a game that was over except for one dumbass OL.

Congrats on winning the acc! I know it was a real struggle to beat UNRANKED and 7-5 PITT, that despite being down most of the game had something like EIGHT YARDS PASSING. That is so pitiful, it's almost impossible to believe?

You can now go prove it on the field!

While it was a big call/reversal at the time, it isnt like Syracuse was going to be able to milk the clock after picking up that 4th down. There were 9mins to go in a 3pt game and the pass would have taken Syracuse down to roughly the Clemson 25yd line. Maybe they score a TD or kick a FG from there, maybe Clemson picks off a pass, recovers a fumble or forces a punt...point being, still a lot of time to go to be saying that call was the reason Clemson won.

I disagree. Like UND, Clemson had a weak schedule and, unlike UND, did not have a signature win. If either Clemson or UND lost this year, TOSU would have replaced them.

Several being almost a decade ago. The difference is Clemson considers that to be a pretty bad year where Carolina is prideful of the moral victories that carried them to the Belk Bowl.

Several being almost a decade ago. The difference is Clemson considers that to be a pretty bad year where Carolina is prideful of the moral victories that carried them to the Belk Bowl.
Your coach obviously does not....still remember the "if we played them 10 times...." after a loss to FSU. He was obviously looking for the silver lining in a loss....a moral victory, if you will. and your fans ate it up. It all depend on your perspective at the moment.

Your coach obviously does not....still remember the "if we played them 10 times...." after a loss to FSU. He was obviously looking for the silver lining in a loss....a moral victory, if you will. and your fans ate it up. It all depend on your perspective at the moment.

I'm not saying moral victories are bad, I've just never seen a team so enthused about a 21 point loss. Yes I do remember that but did not agree at all nor did most Clemson fans. FSU was ridiculously good that year-which was a different year than the one I mentioned and that we are talking about, the Belk Bowl season.

3 or 4 teams would have gone over a loss Tater team.. UGA, OSU, UCF, maybe even a 2 loss Michigan team..

Maybe, maybe, no, no.

Depends on what the committee decided to value and place the most emphasis on. None of those would've been shoe-ins over Clemson.

This is assuming the loss was to Cuse and Clemson still won the ACC. If the loss is to Pitt, then they are likely behind both UGA and OSU in the pecking order.

I'm not saying moral victories are bad, I've just never seen a team so enthused about a 21 point loss. Yes I do remember that but did not agree at all nor did most Clemson fans. FSU was ridiculously good that year-which was a different year than the one I mentioned and that we are talking about, the Belk Bowl season.
We are enthused about our offensive performance against what is supposed to be one of the top defenses. Take it as a compliment. An efficient offense along with a defense that is bound to improve under Muschamp gives us hope. He is fixing the one component that he has totally been criticized for not being able to fix.

That's very true. If Muschamp can find an OC that can even field top 30ish level offenses, there's no reason he can't get SC to at least a consistent top 20-25 program with some peak years higher than that. Now will that be enough to win a division with Smart at UGA and Mullen at Florida? Probably not in most years, but you never know when everything will line up. The important thing is to have a team of that level that is capable of taking advantage of the good fortune (Mizzou in 2013 and 2014 comes to mind).

Right now you have the 29th ranked offense in S&P+ so that should be very encouraging for SC fans. The defense kind of cratered this year due to attrition and injuries and is down to 61st, but i think that's likely more of an aberration than something to expect under Muschamp. You were 36th on that side of the ball last year.

clemsux will beat ND. ND has no business in the Playoffs.

However, my question is, why are there so many taters on a Gamecock board?
Why did y'all pay to discuss with us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT