ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston Exposed

Cockytalk84

Dec 5, 2021
Now that everyone must admit that Kingston was a terrible hire, does Ray go down with him or he allowed to make his next bad hire at SC.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'm telling you unless there are drastic BOT changes and that isn't happening, Ray is finishing out his contract to spring 2024. The president is technically Ray's boss but the new president doesn't start until this summer. Pastides isn't firing Ray in an interim role. The next question is will a new president feel comfortable roughling feathers and firing an AD right away. I highly doubt it. The entire situation is a joke and could only happen at Carolina. Ray has maintained job security in past years due to the previous president being first hired, then due to covid excuse, then due to previous president resigning, then due to an interim president filling in and now due to another new president at the helm. Ray is an embarrassment as AD and would have been let go at many other top programs but he also wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

I'm not sure just how many examples folks need. But with the with coaches being fired a year, or two, after they should have been, and the the subsequent hires, Ray still being here is just another glaring demonstration that winning at a high level at USC is not the main focus for any of the decision makers.

I'm not sure just how many examples folks need. But with the with coaches being fired a year, or two, after they should have been, and the the subsequent hires, Ray still being here is just another glaring demonstration that winning at a high level at USC is not the main focus for any of the decision makers.

It's not just the winning (rather the lack thereof), but the overall mismanagement of the AD, i.e. horrible coaches hired and allowed to stay on board too long, shocking financial errors, and screwing up one of the best programs the school ever had - baseball. It's enough to make the real Gamecock shed his feathers!

The whole key to firing coaches is who is the replacement. lately every time someone is let go you think how is this guy any better. you need to make a home run hire or just let kingston stay......

The whole key to firing coaches is who is the replacement. lately every time someone is let go you think how is this guy any better. you need to make a home run hire or just let kingston stay......
I've never been in the camp of keeping a guy because a replacement hasnt been found. Never will be. Put an interim in if necessary for however long it takes. When a change needs to be made, make a change.

It’s scary that UofSC hasn’t parted ways Ray Tanner yet. After his Coaching career he could have came back as a special ambassador to baseball or something. Just a part time, pick your own hours and hold babies and sign autographs for the sUnShIne PuMpeRs type gig. Kind of like what all he seemingly does now. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratheolcoach
It's not just the winning (rather the lack thereof), but the overall mismanagement of the AD, i.e. horrible coaches hired and allowed to stay on board too long, shocking financial errors, and screwing up one of the best programs the school ever had - baseball. It's enough to make the real Gamecock shed his feathers!
get real. it is all about FOOTBALL ,it is the money maker and Beamer was a good hire and will make money and win a lot of games

get real. it is all about FOOTBALL ,it is the money maker and Beamer was a good hire and will make money and win a lot of games
Pleased with first season (barring scoring zero points against Clemson). Still too early in his career to make bold predictions like that. I'm rooting for him though.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

I hope so, but recruiting better get better if we're going to continue playing UGA, UTe, UF, Clem et al. I've got hope, yes, but my pragmatics ain't buying into things right now, but, again, I have hope.

Depends on what one wants in a head coach. USC wanted to hire on the cheap, and they did. That was proven by their list of serious candidates. One of which didn't want the job, and is now at Florida. Make money? Just getting that SEC check every month should make the athletic department flush in money. And considering the recent coaching hires, I am not sure USC really cared to pursue winning at an elite level in either football, or basketball. And with the introduction of the NIL the dream of playing for titles is probably further away than ever.

Depends on what one wants in a head coach. USC wanted to hire on the cheap, and they did. That was proven by their list of serious candidates. One of which didn't want the job, and is now at Florida. Make money? Just getting that SEC check every month should make the athletic department flush in money. And considering the recent coaching hires, I am not sure USC really cared to pursue winning at an elite level in either football, or basketball. And with the introduction of the NIL the dream of playing for titles is probably further away than ever.
On point here.
The hires were cheap and lazy. Beamer exceed first year expectations, but it's just way to early to declare that he is going to be the great hire that Tanner hopes he is.
As for the NIL issue, I agree, we can not compete with schools like UF or UT let alone Bama, UGA, TAMU.
(and that is just SEC schools)

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
2 of these portal guys I'll venture to guess will be a CofC player with Chad next year. Local guys etc. How ironic our coach could lose players to a guy that couldn't cut it here.
Just speculation on my part.

Reactions: bucketdad
On point here.
The hires were cheap and lazy. Beamer exceed first year expectations, but it's just way to early to declare that he is going to be the great hire that Tanner hopes he is.
As for the NIL issue, I agree, we can not compete with schools like UF or UT let alone Bama, UGA, TAMU.
(and that is just SEC schools)
You know I agree with most of what you’re saying. I do know Beamer was able to pull in Oklahoma transfers in part because of his time there. However, I can’t help but wonder if Rattler didn’t get a very attractive NIL package from us compared to other schools. Only time will tell if Beamer (or any coach for that matter) will sink or swim in the NIL era.

You know I agree with most of what you’re saying. I do know Beamer was able to pull in Oklahoma transfers in part because of his time there. However, I can’t help but wonder if Rattler didn’t get a very attractive NIL package from us compared to other schools. Only time will tell if Beamer (or any coach for that matter) will sink or swim in the NIL era.
If that is true I would think that whoever is sponsoring that deal would have wanted to make it public.
Not that it matters at this point.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
If that is true I would think that whoever is sponsoring that deal would have wanted to make it public.
Not that it matters at this point.
From a Gamecock standpoint we should want to make it public, but perhaps the financiers did not want it to be public and that may be the driving force here. This is all just my best guess and not based on any factual information I have on the matter.

If I ran a big business I’m not sure I’d want my name attached to NILs. I haven’t been inspired to buy a Dr Pepper since the Hawaiian wonder boy in Dump Valley got his money from them. On a side note, he throws like one of those girls making chest passes into the Dr Pepper bottle for a scholarship 😂

Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT