ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston latest Carolina coach to have to rebuild.....wth Tanner????

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
So reading the article below it is clear that Kingston feels he has a major rebuilding job in front of him with Carolina baseball. So now we have Tanner presiding over the demise of what was a top 10 football team and the demise of what was a top-shelf, elite baseball program. This is just hugely disappointing. It doesn't surprise me that Spurrier went into cruise control mode and it doesn't surprise me that Holbrook wasn't the right choice for baseball. But one of the AD's primary jobs is to keep super close tabs on their coaches and their programs and get out in front of issues before they become a dumpster fire. In this area, Tanner has failed. Period.

Carolina needs a new, proven AD.

GO COCKS!!!

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...h-carolina/usc-baseball/article164041272.html

Seriously, if you're gonna post something from the State just copy/paste it. You can even throw it in a spoiler so it doesn't longcat the thread.

By definition, don't the majority of coaches face somewhat of a "rebuild" when they come in? The situation of one winner handing it off to another is comparatively rare.

Ahhh yes...the FGF board police. If you don't want to read the article don't click on it.

its odd to me how many of our fans are so eager to give Tanner a pass. First, recruiting wasn't Holbrook's problem. But even if it was, the AD's job is to have a coach in place that is doing all phases of the job well so ultimately yea...he/she is responsible for that.

Second.....yes i guess most new coaches have some level of rebuilding to do. But if you listen to the Kingston interview, he is basically telling the fanbase he has to completely rebuild the pitching staff. Starting from scratch doesn't sound to me like a place this program should ever be in. And I do blame Tanner for that as well. He is a good ole boy that gave his buddy WAY too long and the current state of our program is a result of that.

Ahhh yes...the FGF board police. If you don't want to read the article don't click on it.

its odd to me how many of our fans are so eager to give Tanner a pass. First, recruiting wasn't Holbrook's problem. But even if it was, the AD's job is to have a coach in place that is doing all phases of the job well so ultimately yea...he/she is responsible for that.

Second.....yes i guess most new coaches have some level of rebuilding to do. But if you listen to the Kingston interview, he is basically telling the fanbase he has to completely rebuild the pitching staff. Starting from scratch doesn't sound to me like a place this program should ever be in. And I do blame Tanner for that as well. He is a good ole boy that gave his buddy WAY too long and the current state of our program is a result of that.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. We knew before last season that pitching was going to be VERY slim going into the 2017-2018 season.

As for the "too long" statement...5 years is standard in this type of situation. And NONE of us knew that the last 5 seasons would turn out this way in mid-July 2012.

Reactions: atl-cock
Anyone with an IQ above 70 knows he has to rebuild the pitching staff....Can't be a great team without great pitching...I am shocked he hired the pitching coach that allowed the staff to be totally depleted with the loss of the last crew...

And oh, by the way, the team was coming off a Super Regional appearance coming into this year, so it's not like the sky was falling heading into the year. Program seemed to be in good shape coming into this year...then it didn't work out, and Tanner did his job... now we have a new coach. So lighten up Francis.

You sound like your throwing a fit though. Why do you feel our football program should be top tier when it never has been other than a few special years every couple decades? And how many years has USC baseball made the college World Series to where you can consider Holbrook demolishing a top tier program. We had 3 awesome years in a row but why do you get to assume that is the standard. It isn't for anyone. My point is not to settle for mediocrity. My point is that you are delusional as to where you think Gamecock athletics should stand based on our history and your being illogical with your patience and expectations. Therefore it sounds like your throwing a fit.

Reactions: 01fatboy and atgmck
So reading the article below it is clear that Kingston feels he has a major rebuilding job in front of him with Carolina baseball. So now we have Tanner presiding over the demise of what was a top 10 football team and the demise of what was a top-shelf, elite baseball program. This is just hugely disappointing. It doesn't surprise me that Spurrier went into cruise control mode and it doesn't surprise me that Holbrook wasn't the right choice for baseball. But one of the AD's primary jobs is to keep super close tabs on their coaches and their programs and get out in front of issues before they become a dumpster fire. In this area, Tanner has failed. Period.

GO COCKS!!!

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...h-carolina/usc-baseball/article164041272.html
Didn't read the article for obvious reasons, but "major" rebuilding job? Seriously?

GO COCKS!!!

This post is so funny, I wonder if it was meant as satire or a joke.

Tanner did what was needed to be done....both with football and baseball. I am as anti Spurrier as anyone but it you think Tanner or anyone else could just walk down that hall and dictate to Spurrier then you are completely wrong. There are considerations beyond just the obvious here...SOS was an SEC favored son. The only criticism that Tanner could possibly be saddled with was talking Spurrier into coming back that last year. Even with that he made contact with Muschamp and those wheels were set in motion.

Holbrook..well to me that was handled as well as one can expect. I do not know anything about the replacement..so we will just have to wait and see but Muschamp is going to be the best football coach we have ever had. I predict that when Tanners career is over....he will have buildings named after him.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I am as anti Spurrier as anyone
giphy.gif

You sound like your throwing a fit though. Why do you feel our football program should be top tier when it never has been other than a few special years every couple decades? And how many years has USC baseball made the college World Series to where you can consider Holbrook demolishing a top tier program. We had 3 awesome years in a row but why do you get to assume that is the standard. It isn't for anyone. My point is not to settle for mediocrity. My point is that you are delusional as to where you think Gamecock athletics should stand based on our history and your being illogical with your patience and expectations. Therefore it sounds like your throwing a fit.

South Carolina's baseball history goes beyond 3 awesome years. We've been to the CWS 11 times, won 2
National championships and we were runner-up 4 times. In the best college baseball conference in the country we won more SEC games than any other team in 2000-2009. 2010-2012 were phenomenal, we're one of six programs that have ever won back-back CWS. Holbrook had the misfortune of coming behind something THAT RARE. 4 of the teams in the CWS this year were SEC teams and yet nobody swept us and most of the SEC series were lost by 1 run. Holbrook made the playoffs in 3 of 5 years, finished 2nd in the East twice and 1st in the East in 2016. While not great it was not a dumpster fire. Ray Tanner handled
Holbrook's dismissal about as well as anybody could have.

South Carolina's baseball history goes beyond 3 awesome years. We've been to the CWS 11 times, won 2
National championships and we were runner-up 4 times. In the best college baseball conference in the country we won more SEC games than any other team in 2000-2009. 2010-2012 were phenomenal, we're one of six programs that have ever won back-back CWS. Holbrook had the misfortune of coming behind something THAT RARE. 4 of the teams in the CWS this year were SEC teams and yet nobody swept us and most of the SEC series were lost by 1 run. Holbrook made the playoffs in 3 of 5 years, finished 2nd in the East twice and 1st in the East in 2016. While not great it was not a dumpster fire. Ray Tanner handled

I agree with everything you said. I'm just saying Holbrook's time as head coach was pretty on par with Gamecock baseball history(which is above average). It only looks like a dumpster fire if you compare it to two national championships back to back and a CWS appearance the next year. And like you said, Ray handled it well.

Reactions: hplatts
You could argue that we had THE best pitching staff in the nation last year if we had 0 injuries. Several game announcers throughout the season on ESPN said the same. This season has not started yet. So how do we know if they are good or not? y'all Cray.
Who's Cray?

By pretty much every account I've ever read, we're considered one of the 8-10 college baseball blue bloods.

I have been attending USC athletics since 1957, having season tickets in football and basketball for over 50 years and have season women basketball and baseball for a good many years. I was student director of intermurals 1961-62 reporting to Coach Baskin and office with baseball and swimming coaches. . I was been active in the Gamecock Club and got to know many of the athletic directors, football coaches. I have missed less than 10 home football games in the last 50 years. We have the best athleiic director now compared to the other AD's during this time. Our facilities are the best by far and we are getting competitive facility wise in all sports except swimming and diving. Because of their earlier success, it is hard to fire coaches like McGuire (we probably waited too long.) and Spurrier who gave us the best years we have had in football. Based on his first four years you needed to give Holbrook this fifth year - his team was ranked fourth in the early polls. We prabbly had the best pitching staff in the county before injuries (we had four pitchers go pro this year). I agree the coaching this year based on battng, bunting, base running, closers was not acceptable - and Tanner got Holbrook to resign and he hired the best coach he could hire.
Except for pitching, we will have probably only one or two of the new recruits to break into the starting lineup this year. We have two or threeof last years recruits that did not start laskt year will be in the lineup..

b

He is taking a smart approach.

He isn't building up things, and he admits he has a lot to learn about the team.

GO COCKS!!!

Reactions: cocky4
Tanner could be facing a very difficult year. There's a fairly good chance that we will struggle in football, basketball and baseball. He better thank his lucky stars that Frank went to the FF.

I have been attending USC athletics since 1957, having season tickets in football and basketball for over 50 years and have season women basketball and baseball for a good many years. I was student director of intramurals 1961-62 reporting to Coach Baskin and office with baseball and swimming coaches. I was been active in the Gamecock Club and got to know many of the athletic directors, football coaches. I have missed less than 10 home football games in the last 50 years. We have the best athletic director now compared to the other AD's during this time. Our facilities are the best by far and we are getting competitive facility wise in all sports except swimming and diving. Because of their earlier success, it is hard to fire coaches like McGuire (we probably waited too long.) and Spurrier who gave us the best years we have had in football. Based on his first four years you needed to give Holbrook this fifth year - his team was ranked fourth in the early polls. We probably had the best pitching staff in the county before injuries (we had four pitchers go pro this year). I agree the coaching this year based on batting, bunting, base running, closers was not acceptable - and Tanner got Holbrook to resign and he hired the best coach he could hire.
Except for pitching, we will have probably only one or two of the new recruits to break into the starting lineup this year. We have two or three of last years recruits that did not start last year will be in the lineup.

b

Since you've been around the USC athletic department since I was a toddler, in your opinion, what kind of impact overall did leaving the ACC have on USC athletics? I keep thinking that had we stayed in, the basketball team would have had continued success, and Don Walsh would have succeeded McGuire in the early '80s.

Since you've been around the USC athletic department since I was a toddler, in your opinion, what kind of impact overall did leaving the ACC have on USC athletics? I keep thinking that had we stayed in, the basketball team would have had continued success, and Don Walsh would have succeeded McGuire in the early '80s.

Even though you didn't ask me, and I have less experience then the above poster, and many disagree with my opinion (which is ok) I believe leaving the ACC at the time was a huge mistake.

We seemed to drop off in both football and basketball for most years between leaving and 1991. Luckily thanks to the SEC we were able to rectify that mistake 25 years later. We were so woefully unprepared for the SEC it wasn't even funny. Even though in the end it was better for us to join the SEC, that does not mean leaving the ACC was a great idea at the time. It did however give us the opportunity to join the SEC for which I am greatful.

Reactions: atl-cock
Even though you didn't ask me, and I have less experience than the above poster, and many disagree with my opinion (which is ok) I believe leaving the ACC at the time was a huge mistake.

We seemed to drop off in both football and basketball for most years between leaving and 1991. Luckily thanks to the SEC we were able to rectify that mistake 25 years later. We were so woefully unprepared for the SEC it wasn't even funny. Even though in the end it was better for us to join the SEC, that does not mean leaving the ACC was a great idea at the time. It did, however, give us the opportunity to join the SEC for which I am grateful.
Those are exactly my sentiments RE: Leaving the ACC and joining the SEC. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I hope hplatts will reply as well with an "insider's perspective."

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Don't kid yourself. We weren't a "Top 10 program". We were a program that was temporarily in the Top 10 in an incredibly weak division.
No AD was going to fire Spurrier coming off his 3rd straight 11win season. Just dumb logic. Reality is Spurrier had a nice run and I'm glad we hired him. But once that wave of players moved on we were in trouble. I believe Muschamp has us going in the right direction and is in for the long haul.

P.S. The State?? Really??

Reactions: vehemon

You painfully don't understand why some of the posters above don't want to click on the link. It's not that they don't want to read a story about Gamecock sports.... Geez

Don't kid yourself. We weren't a "Top 10 program". We were a program that was temporarily in the Top 10 in an incredibly weak division.
No AD was going to fire Spurrier coming off his 3rd straight 11win season. Just dumb logic. Reality is Spurrier had a nice run and I'm glad we hired him. But once that wave of players moved on we were in trouble. I believe Muschamp has us going in the right direction and is in for the long haul.

P.S. The State?? Really??

I never said I thought Tanner should have fired Spurrier. But one of your jobs as what is basically the CEO, is to keep close enough tabs to see problems on the horizon and implement things to fix it. In retrospect, it was clear Spurrier was phoning it in as a recruiter. The AD should have been close enough to the program to know that and step in.

Changing the subject somewhat, after watching the streamed introductory press conferences for Kingston at USC and Holbrook at CoC, Kingston came across as driven to succeed (the "right" way, of course), while Chad was his same laid-back self.

I know many are looking forward to football in a few weeks. I'm really keen to see what Kingston can do in 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT