ADVERTISEMENT

KJ Brent is transferring

The Real Ess

Aug 8, 2014
Just saw a Sportstalk retweet of his tweet saying this.

https://twitter.com/KJ_Brent80/status/560219027252195329/photo/1

This post was edited on 1/27 4:47 PM by The Real Ess

yep, just saw it on twitter. wishing him the best. seemed like a good kid.

Dang this was going to be the year. He would really get his chance.

That leaves 2 WR on our team that have ever played a snap of college football (Cooper and Jeffery). And would anyone be surprised if Jeffery is contemplating a transfer?

In my opinion, with our situation at WR we should have been able to recruit an elite WR or 2. Not saying the WRs we have committed aren't quality players, but we offer the chance for an elite WR to come in and start right off the bat (presuming Junior will let a freshman play).

When guys leave on good terms like this, it usually means they see what is breathing down their neck behind them.

Good luck to him.

Originally posted by ipull4usc:
That leaves 2 WR on our team that have ever played a snap of college football (Cooper and Jeffery). And would anyone be surprised if Jeffery is contemplating a transfer?

In my opinion, with our situation at WR we should have been able to recruit an elite WR or 2. Not saying the WRs we have committed aren't quality players, but we offer the chance for an elite WR to come in and start right off the bat (presuming Junior will let a freshman play).
Yeah, boy it is a shame we couldn't recruit any elite talent at WR this year... It might have been a good idea to lock down a couple 4* guys... Maybe get one kinda smaller, shifty/ speed guy who could fill that slot position our offense needs.. And maybe add a bigger guy somewhere in the 6-2 range? Maybe we could have gone out of state to get a couple guys who are ranked well at their positions and in their states... If only the coaches were as smart you we might could have landed a guy like... Jalen Christian or Dexter Neal.... Too bad our coaches are such bumbling fools with no idea what kind of players they need! And we all know Jr can't coach the WR position worth a crap! It's not like we have had elite RECORD BREAKING, ALL SEC, ALL AMERICAN WRs on our roster EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE or anything...

Well crud, was looking forward to seeing him on the field this year. He played very well in the bowl game and seemed his Sr. year could be very good. Good luck, KJ.

Originally posted by BeachBird:
When guys leave on good terms like this, it usually means they see what is breathing down their neck behind them.

Good luck to him.
Who did you have in mind?

Originally posted by Gamecock Lifer:

Originally posted by ipull4usc:

Yeah, boy it is a shame we couldn't recruit any elite talent at WR this year... It might have been a good idea to lock down a couple 4* guys... Maybe get one kinda smaller, shifty/ speed guy who could fill that slot position our offense needs.. And maybe add a bigger guy somewhere in the 6-2 range? Maybe we could have gone out of state to get a couple guys who are ranked well at their positions and in their states... If only the coaches were as smart you we might could have landed a guy like... Jalen Christian or Dexter Neal.... Too bad our coaches are such bumbling fools with no idea what kind of players they need! And we all know Jr can't coach the WR position worth a crap! It's not like we have had elite RECORD BREAKING, ALL SEC, ALL AMERICAN WRs on our roster EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE or anything...
Jalen Christian is a great athlete but he's 5-10 165 lbs. Dexter Neal is a potential early MLB draft pick who may forego college to play pro baseball. That may be an elite WR class in your eyes, but it isn't in mine.

Why in the world would Brent transfer, and Whitehurst hang it up..? It has to be that guys like Samuel, and Davidson are the future.

Hate to see a guy that's been in the system 4 years just up and leave. He was big receiver that could have contributed a lot this year. Oh well gotta move on.

This post was edited on 1/27 8:50 PM by sclawman77

Could be he saw three guys already on the roster in Shaq Davidson, Terry Googer, and Deebo Samuel passing him on the depth chart. Add the new recruits and maybe he would still not be a starter.

I have no idea as to why he left but...he must have figured he would not have much chance of playing here. That is the main reason most transfer. As for recruiting "elite WRs" maybe there are not that many "elite" WRs out there for everyone. Don't think for a minute that our coaching staff is not aware of our needs, I would propose to you that they have a better understanding than any of us do. Not to bust your bubble but not every recruit will come to Carolina just because you ask them!

Sad some so-called "fans" use a player transferring as an opportunity to trash the coaches. It's not surprising as that's all some people do.
Best of luck to Kent!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Jalen Christian is the real deal. He's the same size as a senior in HS as Roland is now.

Originally posted by sclawman77:
Originally posted by BeachBird:

Good luck to him.
Who did you have in mind?
Cant say I have any insight into who. Maybe Davidson & Googer, etc. I am surprised by his transferring. He seemed to get more opportunities once Roland was out of the picture.

Good luck with getting a freshman on the field. In the Spurrier system, it looks to take 2 years before any production and for some never because they won't get on the field.

Originally posted by Garnet chicken:
Good luck with getting a freshman on the field. In the Spurrier system, it looks to take 2 years before any production and for some never because they won't get on the field.
Kenny McKinley
Ace Sanders
Alshon Jeffery
Pharoh Cooper
Sidney Rice
Dion Lecorn
Bruce Ellington

All of these WR saw the field during their freshman year on the team.

Also, I included Rice and Ellington even though it was their RS FR year because:

A) Rice had a knee injury in 2004 and Spurrier came in for 2005, which made it Rice's de facto true FR season, and

B) Ellington wasn't on the football team and played immediately upon joining from the b-ball team.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
Could be he saw three guys already on the roster in Shaq Davidson, Terry Googer, and Deebo Samuel passing him on the depth chart. Add the new recruits and maybe he would still not be a starter.
I'm really hoping it's this and not that he is seeing something with the QB situation. After putting in so much time and effort to reach a potential starting role, it's a little baffling to say the least. Hoping he isn't moving on because he feels WR's won't be utilized or get touches due to inexperience at other positions (QB).

Originally posted by johnnyplaid:
Sad some so-called "fans" use a player transferring as an opportunity to trash the coaches. It's not surprising as that's all some people do.
Best of luck to Kent!

Who is trashing the coaches in this thread? And who is Kent?

Originally posted by sclawman77:
Originally posted by johnnyplaid:
Best of luck to Kent!

Who is trashing the coaches in this thread? And who is Kent?
Haha, I thought the same thing.

This post was edited on 1/28 7:08 AM by G-C-Gamecock

If KJ is leaving, then something good is happening with the other wideouts bc all the talk was how next year he was going to do real well and step up, so good luck to him wherever he goes.

Neal may end up going pro baseball . It's a possibility.

Originally posted by Gamecock Lifer:

Jalen Christian or Dexter Neal.... Too bad our coaches are such bumbling fools with no idea what kind of players they need! And we all know Jr can't coach the WR position worth a crap! It's not like we have had elite RECORD BREAKING, ALL SEC, ALL AMERICAN WRs on our roster EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE or anything...

This post was edited on 1/28 9:18 AM by Rollerdude123

Kenny had about 290 yards his freshman year.

Ace had a pretty good 1st year with 316 yards

Alshon had a great year as a freshman- a very rare thing. He was also a beast at 6'4" 230 pounds and based on his elite status, performed as good as fans expected him to - which is also rare.

Lecord had 315 yards as a freshman. His best year.

Ellington was quite different- he was already an experienced college athlete before stepping on the football field.

Originally posted by uscbeckham:

Kenny McKinley
Ace Sanders
Alshon Jeffery
Pharoh Cooper
Sidney Rice
Dion Lecorn
Bruce Ellington

Also, I included Rice and Ellington even though it was their RS FR year because:

A) Rice had a knee injury in 2004 and Spurrier came in for 2005, which made it Rice's de facto true FR season, and

B) Ellington wasn't on the football team and played immediately upon joining from the b-ball team.

Originally posted by Rollerdude123:

Alshon had a great year as a freshman- a very rare thing. He was also a beast at 6'4" 230 pounds and based on his elite status, performed as good as fans expected him to - which is also rare.

Ellington was quite different- he was already an experienced college athlete before stepping on the football field.

Kenny McKinley
Ace Sanders
Alshon Jeffery
Pharoh Cooper
Sidney Rice
Dion Lecorn
Bruce Ellington

Lets not forget guys that we have a bonafide go to guy, arguably the best returning WR in the country in Cooper. We dont need a freshman to put up alshon numbers we need 2 or 3 to put up sanders/mckinley like numbers and we will be fine at WR.

I will say with a new QB and the deep veteren RB corp we have I fully expect us to return to a run first team, similar to what we were Marcus Lattimore's freshman year (with Wilds, Williams and Carson carrying the load by committee)

I just imagine that if Brent thought he was better than the guys who redshirted he would not be transferring.

Brent is a developed talent with the ability to block, something the guy in front of him and most freshmen don't have. He also has been in the strength & conditioning program for 4 years. He'll be missed. Of course, we could put a TE out there to block. But Brent was coming into his own as a receiver. We'll miss him, especially early on.

This post was edited on 1/28 10:54 AM by The Real Ess

Originally posted by Garnet chicken:
So wrong, not worth going into it.

Cocks will miss him, I wish him the best. He seemed to have improved tremendously as the year progressed.. I think 2015 could have been a "break-out" year for him.

Originally posted by Rollerdude123:

Kenny McKinley
Ace Sanders
Alshon Jeffery
Pharoh Cooper
Sidney Rice
Dion Lecorn
Bruce Ellington

Experienced point guard doesn't mean more success as a freshman on the football field, so I'm not sure what you mean there. Bruce came in and immediately picked up the offense. He developed quickly.

Also, the point is that Spurrier's offense can be learned by a freshman receiver.

As for the others,

Lecorn was a ping pong on the team and had injury problems, but his production in his freshman season (27 catches) proves that it can be done by a true freshman.

Kenny came on at the end of his freshman year and became vital to our offense. He finished as the third leading receiver at 25 catches. Not too bad considering Mitchell had tunnel vision for Rice in 2005. Once Mitchell started using both at the end of 2006, the offense really opened up.

Ace would've been better if Garcia could've lead him, but he still had 25 catches. Can't tell you how many times Garcia missed Sanders deep. He was open a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT