ADVERTISEMENT

KJ Henry wants to land his dad a job

Anybody else raising an eyebrow at the time of his announcement on the 20th?

KJ Henry said he would take consideration into a school that may make his dad the 10th assistant on a team that he commits to. And he specifies not as an analyst but as an actually coach. He’s a RB coach at Charlotte right now.

Seems more expensive than a car wash?
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thestate.com/sports/college/football/article189214434.html

This is probably one of three things:
1. A kid just getting ahead of himself and letting his mouth get ahead of reality. His dad is on the phone right now with all the recruiters telling them his son lost his effin mind for a sec. An 18 year old sees a mic for the first time and.... Not a big deal at all.

2. The noncomittal tone says he has already made up his mind. He is going where he is going, no matter what. He's just throwing something out there to anyone on the fence needing a coach. Won't do any good, for same reason as #3.

3. The true intent is now coming out. If that is the case, he will find himself pretty lonely. The schools that dont have to play that game and know better - Alabama, etc -will quit calling. The ones who need to take a chance on an idiot will not agree to any deals but they will keep calling. His dad now has no chance at those schools and the kid will end up where whoever is willing to take a flyer, not necessarily where he wants to go.

My bet is #1. The dad cant be that big of an idiot. The coaching community is small. You dont get anywhere pulling stunts like this. We will never know which, because dad aint getting any job that way. At least i dont think anybody recruits that way.

Last edited:
I have posted this for a while this would be how we get a 5 Star in this class, KJ has said if anyone hires his Dad its big, he started saying this at least 6 -9 months ago when he would list UNC Charlotte in his top 5.

Coach Henry worked our camp or maybe even a few, so WM has a feel for him.

You get Henry, then you know Sandidge is coming. he may come anyways, but that is 2 absolute studs on the D Line.

Coach Henry coaches RB for UNC Charlotte today, and coached at a bunch of places at Wake.

During his 11 years at Wake Forest, Henry served as special teams coordinator in 2011 and also coached the outside linebackers, defensive ends and defensive backs. He helped the Demon Deacons to five bowl games and a 2006 ACC Championship.

Lets see if we have any additional turnover, but Roper is gone and the new spot, so we have 2 spots on the staff somewhere right now.

You can shift them around in your speculation.

Hire him now, the 10th coach is a new thing not like we will have to fire anyone. If KJ sucks fire his dad and let him transfer. If KJ is good fire the dad after he leaves. It's only 3-4 years and he is the kind of top talent that is worth the risk.

If Carolina hired him, we'd be the laughing stock of college football. ESPECIALLY, after the kid came out and said it.

There's also the possibility that he doesn't go to the school that hires his dad. He said so, himself. Then you're even more of an embarrassment.

Not worth it, IMHO. Tell the kid we'd love to have you, here's how we'd develop you and help you progress but we're not hiring your dad.

If Carolina hired him, we'd be the laughing stock of college football. ESPECIALLY, after the kid came out and said it.

There's also the possibility that he doesn't go to the school that hires his dad. He said so, himself. Then you're even more of an embarrassment.

Not worth it, IMHO. Tell the kid we'd love to have you, here's how we'd develop you and help you progress but we're not hiring your dad.
Slippery slope for sure.

Reactions: Cumberlandsc
I'm pretty sure that is illegal as the rules changed in 2017 where coaches or relatives of recruits can no longer be hired within 24mos of recruit making commitment. Maybe since his dad is already a college coach that excludes that rule? But I know if he was high school or or 7-7 coach, his father would not be allowed to be hired.

Obviously the father is pushing for a better D1 job. I wonder what Charlotte thinks about this continuously being discussed? Their coach being marketed as package deal isn't really a good look.

I have posted this for a while this would be how we get a 5 Star in this class, KJ has said if anyone hires his Dad its big, he started saying this at least 6 -9 months ago when he would list UNC Charlotte in his top 5.

Coach Henry worked our camp or maybe even a few, so WM has a feel for him.

You get Henry, then you know Sandidge is coming. he may come anyways, but that is 2 absolute studs on the D Line.

Coach Henry coaches RB for UNC Charlotte today, and coached at a bunch of places at Wake.

During his 11 years at Wake Forest, Henry served as special teams coordinator in 2011 and also coached the outside linebackers, defensive ends and defensive backs. He helped the Demon Deacons to five bowl games and a 2006 ACC Championship.

Lets see if we have any additional turnover, but Roper is gone and the new spot, so we have 2 spots on the staff somewhere right now.

You can shift them around in your speculation.

I understand your points. But I don't think SC wants to go down that road. There is one player/parent combo on the staff as it is. I don't think long term continuity of quality staff is built by letting recruits determine the staff.

Reactions: king ward

I dont know, this kind of thing has happens to a degree all the time, thus this new rule.

Butch Jones hired 5 star OL Trey Smith's sister as his $50K a year assistant last year.

If anyone would get laughed at its Harbaugh and most dont know

Harbaugh is the king of it, of course he is in the same bowl game as us.

He has hired the father of a top dual-threat quarterback prospect for the class of 2019.

In 2015, Harbaugh hired he mother of Stanford transfer Wayne Lyons to be a director of player development. Last January, he hired the high school football coach from Paramus Catholic, and then signed the country’s top recruit, Rashan Gary from—you guessed it—Paramus Catholic. Last February, after Devin Bush Jr. signed with the Wolverines, Harbaugh added Devin Bush Sr. to the coaching staff.

How many kids' fathers can we hire anyway?

LOL. Ten, apparently. If I was a head coach who agreed to a deal like that, I don't think I could go home and face my wife. Of all the people who I think might do such a thing, Muschamp would be near the bottom of the list. He seems to be a fundamentally decent man. No sell outs.

But pressure has gotten to us all at some point. I can't claim complete innocence on that.

I'm pretty sure that is illegal as the rules changed in 2017 where coaches or relatives of recruits can no longer be hired within 24mos of recruit making commitment. Maybe since his dad is already a college coach that excludes that rule? But I know if he was high school or or 7-7 coach, his father would not be allowed to be hired.

Obviously the father is pushing for a better D1 job. I wonder what Charlotte thinks about this continuously being discussed? Their coach being marketed as package deal isn't really a good look.

I think I read somewhere that you can hire a relative as an on the field coach. You can't hire them for another position at the University.

Reactions: Goldhunter
I dont know, this kind of thing has happens to a degree all the time, thus this new rule.

Butch Jones hired 5 star OL Trey Smith's sister as his $50K a year assistant last year.

He has hired the father of a top dual-threat quarterback prospect for the class of 2019.

In 2015, Harbaugh hired he mother of Stanford transfer Wayne Lyons to be a director of player development. Last January, he hired the high school football coach from Paramus Catholic, and then signed the country’s top recruit, Rashan Gary from—you guessed it—Paramus Catholic. Last February, after Devin Bush Jr. signed with the Wolverines, Harbaugh added Devin Bush Sr. to the coaching staff.

This kind of thing happens? Recruits come out, publicly, and say they'll go to whatever school hires their parent?

I think this actually provides USC all it needs to not go down that road. Harbaugh, at Michigan, who set up satellite camps all over the country, and who can't yet compete for his conference title, is down to that?

This is probably one of three things:
1. A kid just getting ahead of himself and letting his mouth get ahead of reality. His dad is on the phone right now with all the recruiters telling them his son lost his effin mind for a sec. An 18 year old sees a mic for the first time and.... Not a big deal at all.

2. The noncomittal tone says he has already made up his mind. He is going where he is going, no matter what. He's just throwing something out there to anyone on the fence needing a coach. Won't do any good, for same reason as #3.

3. The true intent is now coming out. If that is the case, he will find himself pretty lonely. The schools that dont have to play that game and know better - Alabama, etc -will quit calling. The ones who need to take a chance on an idiot will not agree to any deals but they will keep calling. His dad now has no chance at those schools and the kid will end up where whoever is willing to take a flyer, not necessarily where he wants to go.

My bet is #1. The dad cant be that big of an idiot. The coaching community is small. You dont get anywhere pulling stunts like this. We will never know which, because dad aint getting any job that way. At least i dont think anybody recruits that way.
His official with Alabama was canceled this week because Alabama said they’re not recruiting anymore LB

Didn’t Bentley and Bentley committ and get hired around the same time

I think I read somewhere that you can hire a relative as an on the field coach. You can't hire them for another position at the University.
I don't think so. I would have to read the rule again but this is called the Harbaugh rule. He has hired multiple people associated with recruits since being at Michigan. Since spring NCAA meetings this was shut down. I remember both Saban and Dabo really speaking out because they hired a lot of HS coaches for summer camps and obviously those coaches were associated to prospects. The rule became so restrictive that HS coaches can't even do summer camps now let alone being hired to sway a recruit.

His official with Alabama was canceled this week because Alabama said they’re not recruiting anymore LB

Well, there you go. There is the temptation to think that if one does whatever it takes to get to the top, one can then adhere to higher principles to stay there. But it doesn't work that way. One can achieve short term success, but if compromises are made to get there those compromises will take you back down. Higher principles do not guarantee success, but if it is achieved it will be sustainable.

LOL. Ten, apparently. If I was a head coach who agreed to a deal like that, I don't think I could go home and face my wife. Of all the people who I think might do such a thing, Muschamp would be near the bottom of the list. He seems to be a fundamentally decent man. No sell outs.

But pressure has gotten to us all at some point. I can't claim complete innocence on that.
Did muschamp not hire Bentley and get his son?

He still brought his son with him. I don't understand how what you said helps
You were saying Bentley was only hired to get his son to committ. They already worked together at Auburn. So Boom could have seen his merit and worth at Auburn and hired him for that not because of his son.

You were saying Bentley was only hired to get his son to committ. They already worked together at Auburn. So Boom could have seen his merit and worth at Auburn and hired him for that not because of his son.
I'm just looking at this objectively and you can look up my earlier post and see I'm all for this move, we hired his dad and he followed. You can excuse it however you want but if I'm on the outside I know what I would think. I pull for the Cocks and I'm sure that's what happened and I'm fine with it.

Reactions: rogue cock
I don’t like this. This spells trouble if he underperforms or dad creates drama.

If he can recruit, is a good coach, fits in with the staff, and the players on the team are ok with it, hire him.

KJ is a great kid with high character. If his dad can provide our players the influence that developed KJ's character and work ethic, I hope Muschamp considers his dad for the staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT