ADVERTISEMENT

Know anything about UVA football?

They really struggled to throw the ball against a below-average Virginia Tech team. So we gotta shut down their run game.

They were up and down for most of the year (sound familiar) so it's difficult to get a solid read as a casual observer. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on their last game against VT. Not only is it an instate rivalry game, but VATech looks to live rent free in their head.

They were up and down for most of the year (sound familiar) so it's difficult to get a solid read as a casual observer. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on their last game against VT. Not only is it an instate rivalry game, but VATech looks to live rent free in their head.
....and I remember all those UVA politicians fighting to get VaTech in the ACC. Be careful what you wish for.

How do we compare?

There really shouldn't be any concern, whatsoever, as to winning this game. UVa's only victories have come against ACC bottom dwellers and schedule filling cupcakes. Even their rival, VaTech (6-6) had to win their match up to become bowl eligible.

UVa avgs 212 yds/game passing & 170 rushing. They probably got their passing yardage over 200 yards simply because they were forced to go the air so often playing catch up. AND ... they do not play very well away from home. Hell! They haven't even played, win or lose, a team that could beat beat us ... OK, maybe NCSU, (9-3) who beat UVa by 14 points. They lost to Pitt (7-6) & Indiana (5-7). Beat No One of note.

Vandy & Arkansas would probably be the only SEC equivalents and I'd still take those two over UVa, in a heartbeat.

The REAL QUESTION is ... what happens if even they beat us???

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
There really shouldn't be any concern, whatsoever, as to winning this game. UVa's only victories have come against ACC bottom dwellers and schedule filling cupcakes. Even their rival, VaTech (6-6) had to win their match up to become bowl eligible.

UVa avgs 212 yds/game passing & 170 rushing. They probably got their passing yardage over 200 yards simply because they were forced to go the air so often playing catch up. AND ... they do not play very well away from home. Hell! They haven't even played, win or lose, a team that could beat beat us ... OK, maybe NCSU, (9-3) who beat UVa by 14 points. They lost to Pitt (7-6) & Indiana (5-7). Beat No One of note.

Vandy & Arkansas would probably be the only SEC equivalents and I'd still take those two over UVa, in a heartbeat.

Not that concerned about your last question. Despite all the complaints about Muschamp this year, he has consistently won the games he was supposed to win.

Their QB Bryce Perkins is a really dynamic dual-threat guy who came to UVa from JuCo. Their OC comes from the Mike Leach coaching tree so in addition to running Perkins they do a lot of short timing throws (slants, RPO's, seam routes, etc.). They have talent at DB and safety but their defensive line is young and thin. Still, their defense was ranked in the top 3-4 of the ACC for most of the season. They lost back-to-back OT games on the road to close the year so they realistically could have finished 8-4 or 9-3. They're beatable but better than people give them credit for.

This review is to subjective for my tastes.

From my ex-brother-in-law who works for UVA athletics (and an ex-All American wrestler for UVA)

"We're good on both sides of the ball, but haven't played to an high level yet." He is pretty complimentary of Mendenhall overall.

Reactions: rogue cock

Nothing happens if we lose. It's the Belk Bowl.

From my ex-brother-in-law who works for UVA athletics (and an ex-All American wrestler for UVA)

"We're good on both sides of the ball, but haven't played to an high level yet." He is pretty complimentary of Mendenhall overall.
Well, look for them to put it all together on Dec. 29! That's the way these things work.

Reactions: GCock47
Here's the breakdown of how we both rank nationally, stat-wise. They appear to be better at rushing and points score against. But given the level of competition for each, I don't know that either of those matter. They could very well be better on defense that we are. But who isn't?I can't get the defensive stat on the computer. But they're 117th in points against and we're 190th, if you can believe that. I'd give us the edge by a TD for getting a line, but I expect a little bigger win.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/vvb/schedule/

I live in Charlottesville and have had plenty of exposure to trust the "eye test". That said, I am not worried at all. Normally dual threat qb's are a problem for us, but given his recent injury and a general lack of being impressed with his throwing this season, I think we'll get out by 10-14. Don't trust our defense at all right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT