ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Gamecocks

JohnnySolo

May 6, 2011
Still rolling. Boston is one of the best I’ve ever watched under the rim. Beal has become a baller and Cooke is Cooke. They were battling with UK until depth took over. Won by 20 or 30. Don’t remember. Regardless the team looks good. Need more tough games.

Still rolling. Boston is one of the best I’ve ever watched under the rim. Beal has become a baller and Cooke is Cooke. They were battling with UK until depth took over. Won by 20 or 30. Don’t remember. Regardless the team looks good. Need more tough games.

Jokers can't be happy even when we dominate. I admit I was never really into women's basketball, but Staley has girls that have game. They have less silly shots, passes and mistakes that most other women teams do. Some of these girls are just as talented as the men. Boston has mastered the short range game. If she's under the basket she does not hesitate and banks it in. She is almost automatic. Wish she would mentor Cardoso.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Our women's practice squad is all male former good high school players and I've watched them get handled.

I know but I guarantee some of these girls one on one will make the boys butt pucker up a little. Definitely wipe the floor with anyone on this board.

I played church league basketball about 25+ years ago at a large church. The team I was on had 2 former high school basketball players. One had played and started at a large high school in Greenville. Good, solid player. Clearly one of the better players I had ever personally encountered. He averaged almost 20 points a game in the few years I played in this league. The other guy was about 6'4" and was a former all conference player in high school - admittedly- he played at a 2A school in North Carolina.

There was also a guy on another team we played that played - I think at Lander but I might be wrong about that. Dude was super quick and all over the floor every time we faced his team.

One of the teams we played had a female basketball player that had played at a smaller college in Virginia. I can't remember that exact school. She was a guard. She was clearly the 2nd best player in the league behind the guy that had played at Lander.

In the 2 games we faced her, she absolutely blitzed us. I was a scrub player even on that team and got to watch a lot of it sitting on the bench. There was no way in the world I could keep up with her. We laughed at the way she made some of our guys look. She was athletic- but not as athletic as a few of our guys- but technically- she was a much better basketball player than anyone on our team. She knew how to play and you could tell she just knew all the little things that allows a player to have an advantage (positioning, going to the basket, spacing, how to keep players just far enough away to limit their abilities, etc).

It was a stark realization about how quick some of these players are - even players that play small college ball- and yes- including female players that know how to play.

I am sure they would have had a lot of trouble against a team of small college male players that were taller. But playing guys that were former high school players- it was not pretty and was actually pretty funny.

I also loved tennis and in college, I use to be a regular down at the tennis courts at USC and fancied myself a pretty decent amateur player.

A friend I met - female- was a very good high school tennis player. I never played on a team in high school but I played tennis with several high school tennis players- males - on a regular basis. I played my female friend half a dozen times down at the USC outside courts. I never came close to beating her.

I was faster- but she was quicker- she had quicker hands. She had a much better back-hand (I had a slightly better and stronger forehand) and she was an ace at drop shots and would just aggravate me to death on a tennis court. Her game was frustrating her opponent and playing defense until the other player made a mistake. It worked well for her. Technically, she was a few steps ahead of me because she really knew how to play. It was a good lesson for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forever Fowl
Wining national championships is never boring.
👍 !
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

No way. Big difference. I think our men’s team should play them to boost their confidence. It’d be like Annika Sorenstam playing in the men’s tournament - didn’t make the cut , of course, or the female boxer that wanted to spar with Mustafa Hamsho. A 10 second event. And what ball would they use? The regular ball or the little ball?

Our women are great against other women and I’d leave it at that. I watched a high school player that says USC is recruiting her and maybe she had an off night but she seemed uninterested in the game in a packed and loud gym and was beat off the dribble time and time again by a little short stumpy girl. But, that’s beside the point.

Reactions: adcoop
Our women practice against a men's team made up of good former high school players. I've watched some of the games and our women more than hold their own.

Reactions: cockofdawn
No way. Big difference. I think our men’s team should play them to boost their confidence. It’d be like Annika Sorenstam playing in the men’s tournament - didn’t make the cut , of course, or the female boxer that wanted to spar with Mustafa Hamsho. A 10 second event. And what ball would they use? The regular ball or the little ball?

Our women are great against other women and I’d leave it at that. I watched a high school player that says USC is recruiting her and maybe she had an off night but she seemed uninterested in the game in a packed and loud gym and was beat off the dribble time and time again by a little short stumpy girl. But, that’s beside the point.
Have to agree here. As good as Boston is in the women's game and as limited as someone like Gray is in the men's game, could you imagine Boston trying to guard someone as mountainous and strong as Gray? Not going to happen. Just too much of an athletic difference to compare these teams in all areas. The girls would get some good plays off, here and there, but the guys would probably win by 40 and wouldn't have to even play hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT