ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Discuss This Tweet

Caleb Alexander

Publisher
Staff
Apr 14, 2009

I'm going to go on a small rant on my take on this on the podcast this afternoon, but I was interested in what the board thought about this tweet?

Maybe I'm out of the loop or am missing something but wouldnt going to four pods ultimately mean there's a four team playoff within the conference with the winner of each pod included?

Maybe I'm out of the loop or am missing something but wouldnt going to four pods ultimately mean there's a four team playoff within the conference with the winner of each pod included?
That has been my thinking also. Nobody knows as of now, hoping this gets settled sooner than later.

Reactions: bucketdad
That has been my thinking also. Nobody knows as of now, hoping this gets settled sooner than later.
That's what I thought but wasnt sure. Imo there are too many unanswered questions to be able to say a team doesnt have a chance. My next question would be does conference games outside the pod matter? If they do, seems like you could have two teams from one pod. That I would think defeats the purpose of having pods. Or is winning the pod (beating three teams) all it takes to advance? If it's the latter, I dont see how our chances would be less.

wft---jim-carrey.png

That is NOT my understanding. The idea being banterwd that I heard was pod play, to ensure teams in the same conference actually play each other once in a while. And then instead if two division winners, you would just select the two best for the title game.

One thing I thought of. Sometimes the second best team misses the title game, but makes the playoffs (bama). If that scenario happens again, then Bama is in the title game, and maybe eliminated from contention, or eliminates the other team? Just a thought.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Law of Averages. Wouldn't use 'never," but it probably isn't going to help our changes. The highest we've ranked in recruiting over the past 10 years in the SEC is #8. The highest we've ever ranked is #6. This year we we're 12th, and in 2020 we were dead last. The mean is probably around #9/#10 out of the 14 teams.

Being in the weaker Eastern Division at least gave us an outside shot to reach the title game. We'll have to wait and see how the deck is shuffled, but can't imagine a scenerio where our chances improve from the current format.

Last edited:
That is NOT my understanding. The idea being banterwd that I heard was pod play, to ensure teams in the same conference actually play each other once in a while. And then instead if two division winners, you would just select the two best for the title game.

One thing I thought of. Sometimes the second best team misses the title game, but makes the playoffs (bama). If that scenario happens again, then Bama is in the title game, and maybe eliminated from contention, or eliminates the other team? Just a thought.
Ok, I gotcha. It's more about not playing the same six teams every year and cutting that down to three I would imagine. Must have been getting boring to the fans and the league is concerned. Lol
I guess I'd wait to see who the league puts in as our perminant opponents before I decide our chances.

Ok, I gotcha. It's more about not playing the same six teams every year and cutting that down to three I would imagine. Must have been getting boring to the fans and the league is concerned. Lol
I guess I'd wait to see who the league puts in as our perminant opponents before I decide our chances.

I should stress I've seen nothing official. Just seeing articles and talk radio, etc.

Reactions: bucketdad
Do this same article in 2011 and Clemson wouldn't be a blip on anyone's map. And SC wouldn't make this list. That's only 11 years ago. It's just BS to talk about. Hell if we had a rich enough fan that wanted to win, we could. You literally can buy a team nowadays. 4 years of throwing several million on "NIL" deals and we could be loaded w 5 stars across the board.

What Tav31 said. And, not to compare to the Taters, but if they ever do those “super conferences” instead of whatever these pods are, and Clemmons is basically in the SEC (and the ACC) plus whoever else, they ain’t making it again either.

Reactions: TAV31
Nevertheless, unlike people who want to keep divisions and expand the playoffs, I want the absolute best teams playing for championships. If that ain't us, then that's on us.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
What makes the list difficult to accept is that it's probably accurate. In all seriousness, can you see us anytime soon leapfrogging, UGA, LSU, UF, Bama, or TAMU for second place while we still discuss if we can beat UK on a consistent basis ?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT