ADVERTISEMENT

Lets dont get carried away with Muschamps raise

E-Cut_22

Jan 24, 2008
Lets not lock him in for extra years. Lets keep the contract like it is and evaluate after the 5 years.

Thats the Carolina way tho, reminds me of Horn. What is muschamps marquee win? This is perhaps the easiest schedule weve ever had sINce joining the SEC.

Lets not jump the gun here because the offense is horrible. Nothing to merit a raise with those stats

Lets not lock him in for extra years. Lets keep the contract like it is and evaluate after the 5 years.

Thats the Carolina way tho, reminds me of Horn. What is muschamps marquee win? This is perhaps the easiest schedule weve ever had sINce joining the SEC.

Lets not jump the gun here because the offense is horrible. Nothing to merit a raise with those stats
Clown

A-men, a lot of coaches had been able to turn things around in year 1 or 2. Let's see where we are in year 5 and 6. Norte Dame still paying Weis if I'm not mistaken. Lol just give him a raise and 1 more year.

It doesn't work that way. You have to have a minimum of a 4 year contract at the end of the year. Otherwise you destroy the program. You would be sending a message that you are not supporting the coach and that would ruin his ability to recruit quality athletes. This may work fine in the NFL but not in college football. There is a good reason why all colleges do their contracts this way.

With so many job openings about to happen, Coach Tanner doesn't really have a choice. And if Coach Muschamp's agent is smart, he'll get his name leaked out just enough to scare everyone. He'll get a raise just because you have to keep up with the Jones's. Just hope they don't go crazy on the buyouts. That's where the universities usually get screwed.

Years yes should be added. But a raise for what?? Let’s beat a team with a pulse first.

Well now the pressure is on. BEAT CLEMSON and show us you're worth that raise an extension! We showed you the money, now show us the wins!

Reactions: Heyward1

You are one persistent tater I give you thst

A-men, a lot of coaches had been able to turn things around in year 1 or 2. Let's see where we are in year 5 and 6. Norte Dame still paying Weis if I'm not mistaken. Lol just give him a raise and 1 more year.
Hope he gets an extension before year 6 he only has a 5 year contract

I'm not sure what is so wrong with this thought? Tell me one year the East has been down as much it is right now? Lost to KY again! I think Champ has done a great job this year but I'm not sure it deserves some huge renewal or payraise. I think he could understand that as well knowing if he continues success next year he will make substantially more versus a pacifying raise!

Reactions: E-Cut_22

Clown? I dont understand why you are name calling. This is a legit question. We made this mistake i think with Darrin Horn, our basketball coach at the time. Mushamp hasnt won that " big game" yet but we havnt played too many because the SEC East is so bad. Losing to Kentucky and Tamu are very bad losses.

Muschamp hasnt shown he can develop a qb yet, here or at Florida. I dont see any improvement week to week with the offense. Our qb has so much potential and its being wasted. This was really our chance to take the east with Jake. Sadly we only have Jake 2 more years. By the time we get the pieces in place with the offensive line he will be gone.

So no, I am not in favor of locking Muschamp into some crazy long term contract. A 5 year contract is a 5 year contract. It will not crush our recruiting. We really arent doing squat recruiting.

So please enlighten me on why Muschamp deserves a raise all of the sudden and right before the Clemson game. I bet if we get smashed again by the taters youll change your opinion.

Cyclone94Active Member
New

Clown

You forgot the “AZZ” in front of that!

Reactions: Heyward1
I think people put way too much thought into thinking that recruits care if a coach has 3 or 4 yrs left on their contract. These kids see coaches get axed in the middle of the season all the time! How many yrs did McElwein have? Butchie have? They know if a coach does a good job the school is going to keep the coach. The coach tells the recruit that they are his job security, let's go win a national championship together. Too much emphasis on yrs remaining! If it was only 1yr, then yeah maybe that's a problem but not 3 or 4!!

I think people put way too much thought into thinking that recruits care if a coach has 3 or 4 yrs left on their contract. These kids see coaches get axed in the middle of the season all the time! How many yrs did McElwein have? Butchie have? They know if a coach does a good job the school is going to keep the coach. The coach tells the recruit that they are his job security, let's go win a national championship together. Too much emphasis on yrs remaining! If it was only 1yr, then yeah maybe that's a problem but not 3 or 4!!

You must not have been around when Spurrier made his "two more years" statement. Recruits started immediately jumping ship.

Totally different situation but good try. I see what you did there.

I don't see any difference in Spurrier's comment and the Athletic Director saying: "Hey coach, you made good improvement this year but I don't have enough confidence in you to add one or two years to your contract."

If you don't think recruits would react to that, you're just not paying attention.

Reactions: rogue cock
I would be not satisfied if South Carolina do not give coach Muschamp a raise and an extension. In coach Muschamp first season, I thought it was a huge accomplishment for making this team bowl eligible. In his second season you can see that the athletes he recruited have impacted a lot of the football games this season. This season South Carolina has defeated at least three teams that have equal or greater talent than South Carolina. I think South Carolina has won four out of the six games where they were the underdog.

Coach Muschamp and this staff (including coach Dillman) inherited a fragile football program and brainwashed these kids that they can beat anybody and
you can tell the different with the confidence with this team. When coach Muschamp has a full roster of the athletes he brings in, I think South Carolina will be a tough team to beat. It will be a huge mistake for South Carolina not to signal to coach Muschamp that he is valued here by giving a raise, extension and increase the buy out clause.

Last edited:
At $3M per year, Muschamp ranks 12th in the SEC - trailing every HC who isn't named Mason. Nothing wrong with providing a pay raise and adding an additional one year to his current contract. What he has done with the defense alone should warrant that. Don't think anyone is suggesting a complete restructuring of his contract.

I don't see any difference in Spurrier's comment and the Athletic Director saying: "Hey coach, you made good improvement this year but I don't have enough confidence in you to add one or two years to your contract."

If you don't think recruits would react to that, you're just not paying attention.
Like recruits really think about it that deeply. Your statement is exactly my point! People put way too much weight into what a recruit is thinking. If they know the coach has a job, they like the coach, school, assistants, location, teammates, etc, that recruit believes in his mind that he will be a game-changer and will earn the coach a lifetime contract! That is how you have to recruit. You make them believe they are the one to change the program for yrs to come! As long as there is some stability that recruit isn't asking the coach when his final check date will be written under his current contract!

At $3M per year, Muschamp ranks 12th in the SEC - trailing every HC who isn't named Mason. Nothing wrong with providing a pay raise and adding an additional one year to his current contract. What he has done with the defense alone should warrant that. Don't think anyone is suggesting a complete restructuring of his contract.
Which would be fine but the OP made the comment of not getting too carried away with a large new long-term contract!

Like recruits really think about it that deeply. Your statement is exactly my point! People put way too much weight into what a recruit is thinking. If they know the coach has a job, they like the coach, school, assistants, location, teammates, etc, that recruit believes in his mind that he will be a game-changer and will earn the coach a lifetime contract! That is how you have to recruit. You make them believe they are the one to change the program for yrs to come! As long as there is some stability that recruit isn't asking the coach when his final check date will be written under his current contract!

We can just agree to disagree. Ray Tanner is the only one that has the opinion that matters.

Reactions: Triton20x
Which would be fine but the OP made the comment of not getting too carried away with a large new long-term contract!
I read his post and responded accordingly that a raise and a one year extension should be forthcoming for exceeding expectations in both years. However, the OP did not even want to consider a raise as per his statement "Lets keep the contract like it is and evaluate after the 5 years."

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
I read his post and responded accordingly that a raise and a one year extension should be forthcoming for exceeding expectations in both years. However, the OP did not even want to consider a raise as per his statement "Lets keep the contract like it is and evaluate after the 5 years."
Yeah, I was agreeing with you. I guess I was refreshing the reason behind my initial response.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Clown? I dont understand why you are name calling. This is a legit question. We made this mistake i think with Darrin Horn, our basketball coach at the time. Mushamp hasnt won that " big game" yet but we havnt played too many because the SEC East is so bad. Losing to Kentucky and Tamu are very bad losses.

Muschamp hasnt shown he can develop a qb yet, here or at Florida. I dont see any improvement week to week with the offense. Our qb has so much potential and its being wasted. This was really our chance to take the east with Jake. Sadly we only have Jake 2 more years. By the time we get the pieces in place with the offensive line he will be gone.

So no, I am not in favor of locking Muschamp into some crazy long term contract. A 5 year contract is a 5 year contract. It will not crush our recruiting. We really arent doing squat recruiting.

So please enlighten me on why Muschamp deserves a raise all of the sudden and right before the Clemson game. I bet if we get smashed again by the taters youll change your opinion.
Think he was calling you a clown because of your consistently moronic posts. Oh and your pessimistic outlook for all things Gamecock. Or atleast that was my take. Spot on clown

THIS is huge. Defense was and always been our thing, and we never stunk so bad as '14 and '15. Ever. Embarrassing.

Guys, there are about a half dozen in this thread who still live in the time of Richard Bell. They would rather pay pennies for a coach and be satisfied with a 1 and 10 record. If they won’t see that WM and his staff are near the bottom pay of SEC coaches and deserves substantially more money, there is nothing you can say to convince them otherwise. Let them have this thread and the rest of us be on our way.

THIS is huge. Defense was and always been our thing, and we never stunk so bad as '14 and '15. Ever. Embarrassing.
Maybe 2016 was on the verge with a few highlights? Although when Lou took over there wasn't much hope!

Guys, there are about a half dozen in this thread who still live in the time of Richard Bell. They would rather pay pennies for a coach and be satisfied with a 1 and 10 record. If they won’t see that WM and his staff are near the bottom pay of SEC coaches and deserves substantially more money, there is nothing you can say to convince them otherwise. Let them have this thread and the rest of us be on our way.

Im not arguing where Muschamp ranks in coaches salaries. Im saying him and Tanner agreed to his salary with a 5 year contract. Now we beat a few teams that are garbage and all the sudden we want to give Will a 10 year contract with a raise after 2 mediocre seasons

See the difference between USC and Florida and the other big dogs? We give raises and contract extensions after 2 years and a 14-11 record.(assuming Clemson smashes us again and we beat Wiffird) Cmon guys what a joke.

Tanner is in over his head for extending a contract and giving a raise to a coach with 7 losses last year and what looks like 4 maybe 5 losses this year. Thats a possible 14-12 record. Florida fired him for having a better record than this.

Last edited:
Does the ranking of Muschamp's pay, include Money Florida is still paying him?

I though he was still getting a a check from them as well?

Beat Clemson and it will all be taken care of

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Better not get embarrassed against klempson again. Cannot accept that.

Better not get embarrassed against klempson again. Cannot accept that.
This. Why not wait until the end of the season to reexamine the contract? This season could still turn out great or it could still end in humiliation. Nobody is waiting in line to poach Muschamp from us at this point.

Didn't Florida rush to upgrade McElwain's contract last year? Luckily for them, he said something stupid that they could finesse into a "for cause" firing argument. Otherwise, they'd be stuck with him another year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT