ADVERTISEMENT

Lex Rich 5 superintendent BullS$&? Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that instance then yes the person who has experience with a particular aspect of things should carry a little more weight.

I also don’t believe the school board should be in charge of anything. In many interactions with members from various districts most of them can’t spell school much less have any clue what actually goes on in one. At best they should be a slightly more influential version of a PTO.
If the school board shouldn’t be in charge of anything then why even have one. As for the accusation of school board members “ can’t even spell school “, two things. Get off of your “ educated high horse “ and don’t say anything like that unless you have proof. Number two, some of the wisest people I’ve known have very little education. Some of the unwise have a string of degrees

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
so IF that’s what happened, you’re saying that a district superintendent who has no medical or science background should have the ultimate say over parents or school board who have no medical or science background. I’d disagree with that, because at the end of the day…..

-the parents are the ultimate boss
-the school board are the elected representative of the boss
-the superintendent is the subordinate employee who is hired to carry out the directives of the officials who represent the bosses.

if the superintendent feels that she is the ultimate authority and cannot carry out the lawful directives of her bosses, then she was rightly fired.

And again, that’s IF that’s what happened
A few weeks ago it was the board that voted to no longer require masks. Then we’re told that was not legal and backtracked but then a few days later, again went to no masks. All because wealthy parents paid for bill boards to have calling out the state super and others telling them not to require masks. If you look at Facebook pages in recent weeks you will see which parents are causing it. Most are stay at hike moms that have nothing better to do than demand things.
oarents can be great or difficult. I have dealt with them while working with teens for over 20 years. The louder ones are the difficult ones and they can make your life hell. I currently work with about 25 kids right now and have a few other adults helping and one parent told me and I quote” my kids will no longer do anything with your group until you demand everyone involved in any way be vaccinated. That is not my place to require it so I politely sent them on their way. It hasn’t stopped them from talking poorly about me though. I can handle it but it’s another example of parents being very difficult and that is what is happening in lexrich5. Another example also of poor examples for our kids to follow and also putting kids in the middle of adult stupidity and hissyfits.

so because she has “classroom experience”, that means she should be the be-all-end-all decider of kids wearing masks or not? How? The actual science says school kids are less susceptible to both catching Covid and being badly sick from it. So while people can talk about “people electing Trumpers to the school board”, sounds to me like this superintendent can’t leave her political opinions at the door either.

so you don’t like the school board system? So what’s a better system, allowing people to move their way up through the good ole boy system at the district office and then put their buddies in charge with absolute carte Blanche to decide how tax dollars are spent? Really, you think THAT would be a better system?
Again your ignoring the classroom experience because acknowledging one party might actually know something more than the other doesn’t fit the narrative of the all powerful on the other side. Kids are the only people in the schools so while they may not be as susceptible they aren’t the only group that has to be taken into account. It’s great to say the kids should be okay but what point is having them in school if you end up with a shortage of teachers. It’s not like that’s a job that people are beating down the door to get and you don’t just have an unlimited pool of people to fill in if something happens. Of course that also not taking into account you’re talking about 3 weeks and there was already state guidance put in place that wasn’t defined by the superintendent. So in essence the issue is that the board would be upset that someone would push back against their decision which was counter to established state guidelines.

The board should not be an end all be all. If you want to create a board then it should be structured on an advisory basis with people who have experience in the field. There are lots of former administrators and other people who could fill these slots.

You wouldn’t grab the guy from the drive through at Wendy’s to roof your house but you have no issue with them potentially deciding how a school should operate?

If the school board shouldn’t be in charge of anything then why even have one. As for the accusation of school board members “ can’t even spell school “, two things. Get off of your “ educated high horse “ and don’t say anything like that unless you have proof. Number two, some of the wisest people I’ve known have very little education. Some of the unwise have a string of degrees
Who said anything about degrees? Your ability to make it through school doesn’t mean you know anything about how a school operates.

If you want to have an advisory panel of active parents that can work with the system and have a say in what goes on that’s fine. You want to give them equal say with the block of administrators that would probably be okay to but allowing people whose sole experience with education is that they sat in a desk become the be all and end all of your system is a problem.

This is like Motor Supply hiring a guy as a head chef because he ate half the prime rib at Golden Corral one night.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The school system isn’t what it used to be. I don’t have crotch fruit of my own. So no first hand experience. But several years back one of the teachers from D/F resigned and my retired uncle was asked to step in and finish the year. There were several students who were nothing but disruptive in class. They refused to do any work or even take the tests so he failed them. The parents complained and the Principle passed the students as if they competed the course. The school asked my uncle to stay and he said screw that.
I have another relative in Law School and works with juveniles in family court. One thing they look at are students grades. It’s baffling that some are receiving all Fs and maybe one D and still somehow advancing to the next grades year after year. When I hear these stories it makes me think our school system is a mess.I hate that any of my tax dollars would be supporting this.
If any of this had been the case back in my time- the students would be repeating the year, sent to an alternative school or sent packing and trespassed from school grounds.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago it was the board that voted to no longer require masks. Then we’re told that was not legal and backtracked but then a few days later, again went to no masks. All because wealthy parents paid for bill boards to have calling out the state super and others telling them not to require masks. If you look at Facebook pages in recent weeks you will see which parents are causing it. Most are stay at hike moms that have nothing better to do than demand things.
oarents can be great or difficult. I have dealt with them while working with teens for over 20 years. The louder ones are the difficult ones and they can make your life hell. I currently work with about 25 kids right now and have a few other adults helping and one parent told me and I quote” my kids will no longer do anything with your group until you demand everyone involved in any way be vaccinated. That is not my place to require it so I politely sent them on their way. It hasn’t stopped them from talking poorly about me though. I can handle it but it’s another example of parents being very difficult and that is what is happening in lexrich5. Another example also of poor examples for our kids to follow and also putting kids in the middle of adult stupidity and hissyfits.

I understand that parents are probably THE most difficult thing about being in education. But let’s not pretend that parents don’t or shouldn’t have rights to a say in how their children are being educated. THEY are the parents of the children and THEY are the ones ultimately footing the bill. People elect governors, representatives, school boards, etc. they don’t elect the superintendent. So as far as I’m concerned, the superintendent should NOT have the ultimate say over whether or not kids wear mask, especially when there’s no solid science on the efficacy of masks worn by school aged children.

If enough parents raised issue with the board and the board gave her a directive, it’s her job to follow the directive. You can say “let’s hold a public hearing”, but the fact is that the school board were the ones elected to make those calls and decide who the superintendent should be.

Who said anything about degrees? Your ability to make it through school doesn’t mean you know anything about how a school operates.

If you want to have an advisory panel of active parents that can work with the system and have a say in what goes on that’s fine. You want to give them equal say with the block of administrators that would probably be okay to but allowing people whose sole experience with education is that they sat in a desk become the be all and end all of your system is a problem.

This is like Motor Supply hiring a guy as a head chef because he ate half the prime rib at Golden Corral one night.
By accusing board members of not being able to spell school, you indicated degrees. And, your Wendy’s comparison is false. While a Wendy’s employee may never have had roofing experience, most, if not all school board members have had parental experience. Some of the less educated ones ( more than some) are the best and wisest

Again your ignoring the classroom experience because acknowledging one party might actually know something more than the other doesn’t fit the narrative of the all powerful on the other side. Kids are the only people in the schools so while they may not be as susceptible they aren’t the only group that has to be taken into account. It’s great to say the kids should be okay but what point is having them in school if you end up with a shortage of teachers. It’s not like that’s a job that people are beating down the door to get and you don’t just have an unlimited pool of people to fill in if something happens. Of course that also not taking into account you’re talking about 3 weeks and there was already state guidance put in place that wasn’t defined by the superintendent. So in essence the issue is that the board would be upset that someone would push back against their decision which was counter to established state guidelines.

The board should not be an end all be all. If you want to create a board then it should be structured on an advisory basis with people who have experience in the field. There are lots of former administrators and other people who could fill these slots.

You wouldn’t grab the guy from the drive through at Wendy’s to roof your house but you have no issue with them potentially deciding how a school should operate?

so if parents don’t want their kids forced to wear masks, and teachers DO want them forced to wear masks, then teachers should have the ultimate say? Sorry, I don’t agree with that at all. I haven’t seen any hard science showing the efficacy of masks. The teachers and superintendents are the employees of the parents. The parents and the people elected to represent them should have the ultimate say and if the teachers want to pick a different profession, that’s their free choice.

Reactions: GMClemson33
By accusing board members of not being able to spell school, you indicated degrees. And, your Wendy’s comparison is false. While a Wendy’s employee may never have had roofing experience, most, if not all school board members have had parental experience. Some of the less educated ones ( more than some) are the best and wisest
Being able to spell has nothing to do with a degree. That’s a projection on your part and having parenting experience doesn’t mean you have any clue what goes on in a school nor does you being a parent mean that your experience is successful.

so if parents don’t want their kids forced to wear masks, and teachers DO want them forced to wear masks, then teachers should have the ultimate say? Sorry, I don’t agree with that at all. I haven’t seen any hard science showing the efficacy of masks. The teachers and superintendents are the employees of the parents. The parents and the people elected to represent them should have the ultimate say and if the teachers want to pick a different profession, that’s their free choice.
Doesn’t it go both ways? The parents have the same option to put their kids in a different situation. Home school, private school or deal with the guidelines established by the state and administrative professionals.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Being able to spell has nothing to do with a degree. That’s a projection on your part and having parenting experience doesn’t mean you have any clue what goes on in a school nor does you being a parent mean that your experience is successful.
Being able to spell has nothing to do with a degree? If you can’t spell school you never made it past second grade. Sure, just being a parent doesn’t qualify one for the school board. But I’ll take local parents over so called professional anytime

Doesn’t it go both ways? The parents have the same option to put their kids in a different situation. Home school, private school or deal with the guidelines established by the state and administrative professionals.

so are you suggesting that parents who send their kids to private school should be able to opt out of the tax system that funds the local school system? If so, fine. But if I’m forced to pay taxes to support the school system, don’t tell me my only options are private school or stfu.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Being able to spell has nothing to do with a degree? If you can’t spell school you never made it past second grade. Sure, just being a parent doesn’t qualify one for the school board. But I’ll take local parents over so called professional anytime
If you can spell you have to have a degree yet people with degrees are dumber than those without. Gotcha.

so are you suggesting that parents who send their kids to private school should be able to opt out of the tax system that funds the local school system? If so, fine. But if I’m forced to pay taxes to support the school system, don’t tell me my only options are private school or stfu.
Your choice. People who don’t have kids and people whose kids have been out of school for a long time still pay those taxes as well. Part of life. You don’t get any special consideration power for paying your taxes.

No, it doesn't. If a teacher is concerned about getting COVID, they should just get the vaccine. No need to force something on kids that they can handle themselves and is, at best, controversial in its effectiveness.

Your choice. People who don’t have kids and people whose kids have been out of school for a long time still pay those taxes as well. Part of life. You don’t get any special consideration power for paying your taxes.

then, as long as I’m paying taxes that support the school, I damn sure DO have a say in the way the children are educated. Same as if your tax money supports the local police, you have a say in the way they police. Or are you also suggesting that only “trained police professionals” should have a say in policing?

then, as long as I’m paying taxes that support the school, I damn sure DO have a say in the way the children are educated. Same as if your tax money supports the local police, you have a say in the way they police. Or are you also suggesting that only “trained police professionals” should have a say in policing?
How many untrained police professionals do you know of running police departments or overriding Leon Lott on how to run the department. There are lots of people that think they know better without ever doing the job but oddly enough they don’t get to dictate that. Maybe next time I get pulled over for anything I’ll try the “I pay taxes so you work for me” and so how that goes.

No, no, BLM should decide all that. lol

How many untrained police professionals do you know of running police departments or overriding Leon Lott on how to run the department. There are lots of people that think they know better without ever doing the job but oddly enough they don’t get to dictate that. Maybe next time I get pulled over for anything I’ll try the “I pay taxes so you work for me” and so how that goes.

untrained elected officials and local officials override police officials- even sheriffs- literally all the time.

No, it doesn't. If a teacher is concerned about getting COVID, they should just get the vaccine. No need to force something on kids that they can handle themselves and is, at best, controversial in its effectiveness.
Again all of this is about three weeks after they were told legally they couldn’t do it. I don’t worry about whether my kid wears a mask unless he’s in a situation where it is required or requested. He’d been wearing one for 6 months in school and then all of a sudden I’m supposed to worry about the last three weeks? I’d have a lot more belief this was about the kids if it was pushed for when the kids went back and not 3 weeks before school was letting out.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

LOL. Literally everyone in the world is trying to tell police how to do their job.

Shouldn’t they? After all they are tax payers. I’m sure you agree that sounds like a perfect way to operate then.

oh, I never said they shouldn’t. Elected officials and the public should absolutely have a say in the way the police departments are run. You’re the one suggesting only trained educators should have a say in how schools are run and the people funding the schools should just kick rocks. That’s ridiculous.

while we’re at it, maybe we should do away with DHEC and OSHA and let only trained restaurant workers decide how clean restaurants should be.

oh, I never said they shouldn’t. Elected officials and the public should absolutely have a say in the way the police departments are run. You’re the one suggesting only trained educators should have a say in how schools are run and the people funding the schools should just kick rocks. That’s ridiculous.
I’d disagree with this one as well. You getting arrested doesn’t mean you know how to run a police department. Again all for independent advisory boards but I don’t want DUI Charlie deciding that they need to stop holiday checkpoints.

I’d disagree with this one as well. You getting arrested doesn’t mean you know how to run a police department. Again all for independent advisory boards but I don’t want DUI Charlie deciding that they need to stop holiday checkpoints.

Wrong. He should get to decide at the ballot box. With his one vote.

But I see where you are going. San Fran is a good example of this. They voted stupidly, and now shoplifting is rampant because those elected officials don't do anything about it, as long as it's below around $1000.

People get what they vote for.

So you’re in favor of “independent advisory boards” having say over police policies, but only “trained educators” should have say over how schools should be run. As I said, that’s ridiculous logic.

the fact is, the reason why there’s no real educational or background requirements for school board members is that they’re more concerned with the “business side” of education. Meaning…the business side of FUNDING the school system, and keeping the customers happy. Whether you like it or not, the parents and taxpayers are the CUSTOMERS. And that is specifically why you have elected school boards…to represent the customers.

teaching algebra is the job of teachers.

teaching physics is the job of teachers.

teaching PE is the job of teachers.

deciding kids should wear masks is NOT the job of teachers.

And your wonderful left wing nutjobs as CBS defended his shoplifting, saying he probably really needed the stuff. Of course, that was a lie because it was a ton of expensive hair products.

So you’re in favor of “independent advisory boards” having say over police policies, but only “trained educators” should have say over how schools should be run. As I said, that’s ridiculous logic.

the fact is, the reason why there’s no real educational or background requirements for school board members is that they’re more concerned with the “business side” of education. Meaning…the business side of FUNDING the school system, and keeping the customers happy. Whether you like it or not, the parents and taxpayers are the CUSTOMERS. And that is specifically why you have elected school boards…to represent the customers.

teaching algebra is the job of teachers.

teaching physics is the job of teachers.

teaching PE is the job of teachers.

deciding kids should wear masks is NOT the job of teachers.
Actually if you go back you’ll see I’m fine with an advisory board process for schools as well. A sounding board to represent the impacted parties is not the same thing as handing them control.

I’d really be curious how many parents in the district really felt this was big deal. Were parents provided a method to provide feedback on this change?

Actually if you go back you’ll see I’m fine with an advisory board process for schools as well. A sounding board to represent the impacted parties is not the same thing as handing them control.

I’d really be curious how many parents in the district really felt this was big deal. Were parents provided a method to provide feedback on this change?

They aren't "trained professionals" either, so why would you want that. Those same people elected representatives they saw as qualified to run the schools and those people make the decisions.

Replace “advisory board” with “more bureaucracy” You saying we don’t have enough bureaucracy already? We have an elected governor, senate, house, school board, state superintendent (appointed), as well as all the HIRED positions: local superintendents, principals, assistant principals, and teachers themselves. That’s SERIOUSLY not enough bureaucracy for you? You really need a new level of bureaucracy in the form of “advisory panels”?

Stealing stuff doesn't make you a customer. And if you are referring to CBS's customers, then that is just pathetic. Says a lot about their customers.
No. The shoplifter is a customer of the police so not arresting him is keeping him happy and in the end isn’t that the important thing?

Replace “advisory board” with “more bureaucracy” You saying we don’t have enough bureaucracy already? We have an elected governor, senate, house, school board, state superintendent (appointed), as well as all the HIRED positions: local superintendents, principals, assistant principals, and teachers themselves. That’s SERIOUSLY not enough bureaucracy for you? You really need a new level of bureaucracy in the form of “advisory panels”?
I’m not saying add that in adddition to everything else but as a replacement to the current school board system. Based on that argument though what is the point of the school board with all of the other oversight and decision makers in place?

I understand that parents are probably THE most difficult thing about being in education. But let’s not pretend that parents don’t or shouldn’t have rights to a say in how their children are being educated. THEY are the parents of the children and THEY are the ones ultimately footing the bill. People elect governors, representatives, school boards, etc. they don’t elect the superintendent. So as far as I’m concerned, the superintendent should NOT have the ultimate say over whether or not kids wear mask, especially when there’s no solid science on the efficacy of masks worn by school aged children.

If enough parents raised issue with the board and the board gave her a directive, it’s her job to follow the directive. You can say “let’s hold a public hearing”, but the fact is that the school board were the ones elected to make those calls and decide who the superintendent should be.
That’s part of the issue. The parents DO have a say about their kids but comfort of a mask is a very petty issue. Whether you agree with them or not they are better than nothing. Saying no masks risks health of other kids and families, at least in their personal eyes and should be respected. Especially the vulnerable. I have a kid I work with that has a sibling with cancer and is going through treatments. This child wants to be in school but shouldn’t feel like she no longer can because of these selfish oarents. This kid is worried about their 6 yr old sibling. ALL parents need to consider all areas before pitching fits. The board and superintendent do as well. I think Melton tried but couldn’t stand up to the loud obnoxious parents who controlled the board. You think the board is in charge you are dead wrong. Complaining wealthy parents are and all other families have to deal with it.

Reactions: Dizzy01
They aren't "trained professionals" either, so why would you want that. Those same people elected representatives they saw as qualified to run the schools and those people make the decisions.
They also wouldn’t be the sole decision makers and you’d have to structure your makeup of it. It would be fine to include current parents who are directly impacted in decisions to give input. That’s not the same thing as my kid went there 25 years ago so now I’m going to tell the school how it should run.

That’s part of the issue. The parents DO have a say about their kids but comfort of a mask is a very petty issue. Whether you agree with them or not they are better than nothing. Saying no masks risks health of other kids and families, at least in their personal eyes and should be respected. Especially the vulnerable. I have a kid I work with that has a sibling with cancer and is going through treatments. This child wants to be in school but shouldn’t feel like she no longer can because of these selfish oarents. This kid is worried about their 6 yr old sibling. ALL parents need to consider all areas before pitching fits. The board and superintendent do as well. I think Melton tried but couldn’t stand up to the loud obnoxious parents who controlled the board. You think the board is in charge you are dead wrong. Complaining wealthy parents are and all other families have to deal with it.

Did the Governor not settle the mask issue already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT